Art: Need some feedback on my LOGO

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Need some feedback on my LOGO

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on a logo I am working on for my website. I had a class critique at my university but I didn't get much besides silence.

Need some feedback on my LOGO

If y'all are interested my temporary portfolio is here --> http://badfaithart.daportfolio.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting, but what is your goal with the logo? Are you going for a mechanical look or perhaps a dark gritty look? What's the goal with the logo. What I mean is that if you are trying to use this in a website design, consider where it's going to be placed upon the main page. For this logo, the only use I could see for it would be on a banner on the web. I don't know how this would work on a business card. Show us some examples of the ideas you have of it. Perhaps a temporary business card layout or stationary, let's see more.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you use square brackets, it would be a good idea to make side elements fit to this hard, geometrical style. Currently it seems to be a little bit random. Also, experiment with the balance of a space around the typography to create a focal point at your name.

But what's most important, run through the basic questions posed by Mat. Plus think what do you want to communicate to your audience with your design.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,189 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Unify or synthesize everything into a single idea. Right now you've got nothing because nothing relates to anything else except in the most superficial way.

What is your concept? What are you trying to get across symbolically? Right now I'm getting your name is the neck within Cruella DeVille's portrait collar.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like 2 different ideas that don't mesh together. I suggests 1 or 2 things.

1. Figure out which on the 2 (the wings? or the bracket )ideas you want to go with and make the whole thing conducive to that.

a.) If its the wings, try loosening up the brackets or better yet lose it all together and find a type that goes with it, something like a hand drawn script font.

b.) If you go with the bracket, then tighten up the edges of wings, something maybe along the lines of being blade like. Or loose the wings all together and focus more on type setting.

c.) You could try to hand draw the whole logo and transfer it to a vector (Just to make it more manageable). I think that could fit well with your illustration style.

2. Scrap it and start over by really thinking about what it is you truly want to convey through your logo.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is the logo for?
    What does it stand for, is it a personal logo, who are you, what do you represent, what do you want to tell people with it?

Wings tend to represent freedom and "fastness", Bat wings represent a look and a form of life, no offence but those wings are a little like a young bird's that can't fly cause the feathers are deformed and the shape is much irregular...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres to much going on in your logo, look at other succesful logos (e.g. mercedes, apple, nike)

Sketchbook

need critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your logo is nice but what do you want it to represent? When I look at the logo I always expect some connection between the graphical identity and the business/blog/person that it stands for. According to the logo, I'd say it is a symbol of a birds/dragons fan page. Try something smaller and simpler.

Part time ADMIN - global art
    Part time coder - dsign

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland3r View Post
    theres to much going on in your logo, look at other succesful logos (e.g. mercedes, apple, nike)
    Yeh defnately that or hire someone to do your logo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rapxic View Post
    Yeh defnately that or hire someone to do your logo
    Ouch, telling a designer that is like telling a carpenter to hire someone else to build his coffin. Reminds me of a story I read...

Anyway, I personally like the idea of blending both geometry with looser shapes, but the wings/claws/whatever they are are overpowering the rest of it. That's just how I see it, anyway.

Brooklyn, NY (But I am currently bouncing around the country)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The name should be the focal point, certainly. But I think the wings could stay if they carried less weight: maybe make them half as wide and a barely perceptible grey?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to modify a lot that logo to be a good one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much wings, not big enough text, not unique. No offense to your name but Hilary looks like it is spelled wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your logo needs to represent you as the designer to your future clients. Right now, all I'm getting is that it's looking kinda goth with dark wings and your name but not much else. I can't really read you, persay. If anything, make the decorative elements smaller and better woven into your overall design and make your name stand out. Play with the typeface a bit with the kerning or make one capital bigger and try nesting your last name into it. Are you trying to come across as bold, edgy, cutting-edge, rebel, or hip?

Logos are the first in line for communication for many companies and for you. Sell us yourself in one statement. Think really hard about why certain elements are there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can think of two things off the bat on how you can improve the design,

1. One thing why not integrate the wings into the main logo so that you can do away with the log altogether and create breathing room around the logo.
    2. Also Black as a colour is too strong, even for me, loosen the tone where possible or try different colours that will best suite the tone you wish to sell.

My Imagination is killing me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liked your portfolio,thanks so much for sharing it.
    Really enjoyed the scarlet letter atmosphere, and the hostess packaging the most. But I like hostess so Im biased LOL-

The general consensus would be to answer some basic questions for us, so you aren't getting personal taste critiques, but rather how well your design is achieving its stated goal. With the assumption that this is an attempt to develop a logo that helps to identify you as an artist, we need a better understanding of what that is....

1.How would you describe you self as an artist? Edgy, whimsical, dark, romantic(good versus evil sense, not smoochy)
    2.What are your aspirations? Could this turn into a multifaceted business for you? Just an avenue for self expression?

Any logos that you like or feel drawn to...any you despise?

Id love to see some ideation work from you on your design, see what your thinking etc!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It might sound super nitpicky, but have you considered adjusting the kerning just a touch? The brackets give it a rigid, symmetrical feel - however, 'hilary' doesn't seem centered compared to 'steinberg'

'Y' is such a pesky letter...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.