Sketchbook: Jared Sellers' Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jared Sellers' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Jared Sellers' Sketchbook

I'm a first year art student who was previously self taught. I haven't started any art classes yet, just doing general education for the moment. But I want to get a head start. I want to go into illustration, at least that's the plan for the moment. So I started this sketchbook to post my work and get feedback, serious critiquing and a little more direction as far as my artistic talents are concerned. Thanks for taking a look!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JaredSellers; November 9th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some digital portraits I've been working on:

As well, here are some of my most recent traditional portraits. I dont have much time lately to really buckle down and do something big, so anything traditional done after this will probably just be sketchbook studies:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A thirty minute study I did this morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few ballpoint sketches from the past few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More ballpoint pen sketches, nothing serious. Didn't really have a reference for either, I'm probably going to do some more research on animal anatomy. Also, my apologies for photographing my sketchbook pages, I wont have access to a scanner until January.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The past few days worth of digital paintings. These were all done with the brushes app for iphone/ipod touch. I kept all of these to one layer of workspace, which was a little out of my comfort zone. These aren't by any means finished products, just the results of having a half hour after lunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my current design for a business card. I'm heading to a convention this weekend to sell shoes and prints, and wanted a business card to hand out to interested parties. Email and phone are missing because I dont know if I want to be giving out that info to everyone and their dog. Should I include it before it goes to print?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lately I've been painting shoes for folks, here are some of my most recent pairs.

Last edited by JaredSellers; November 2nd, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a practice CGI model to get back in the swing of things. Modeled with Blender 2.59, composited and rendered with Blender Internal. Textures from CGtextures.com. Would love some critique!

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really want to eat a juicy orange now! haha nice start to your sketchbook - keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my sketchbook page from an anime convention I went to this past weekend. I had a booth in the artist alley and got to connect with other artists while selling my own work as well. Super fun experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are just a few of my first 30 second sketches from posemaniacs. Its some good practice! Thrown in there are a few more drawings from reference, just trying to get some variety. It feels good to get back to graphite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More bust sketches and a preliminary sketch of a portrait I'm doing of Lucille Ball. Also here is my latest pair of shoes. Anything I can do to improve my workmanship? Any advice is well-taken.

And I had one last question for anyone reading this. How can I better use the attachment manager? It's so problematic to have to file each attachment under 4 different subcategories, and half the time my file sizes are too large. Do I need to save lower resolution of all my work so I can post it here?

Last edited by JaredSellers; November 13th, 2011 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a WIP shot of my Lucille Ball portrait. I could really use critique on it. Should I post it in the WIP section, would that be worth the time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another still life, probably 20 minutes of work. It's my first time messing with paintool SAI, just to see what the hype was about. Right off the bat there are some brush dynamics that sure beat Photoshop Elements, so I might consider buying a liscense after my trial is up just for the sake of digital painting.

Also this here is my next big CGI project. It's not actually that large, but its covering a lot of topics I have zero knowledge in so it will be a learning experience for sure. If you cant recognize it here, this is Fooby the Kamikaze Watermelon, from the Demented Cartoon Movie, circa 2001. Here is the link to the WIP thread as well:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=231914

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Digital paintings. These are just sketches done on an ipod touch, using Brushes. But I was sitting in a meeting and couldnt help sketching some of the attendees. All three were done in the course of an hour, hour and a half.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I can never draw enough fruit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More digital sketches. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to scan in the few sketchbook pages I have filled up.

These were both done on an iphone, so I tried to keep my strokes a little looser than normal and work quickly. I definitely like the salt shaker better than the belly. Something about anatomy throws me every time, there isn't much room for error without looking like there is something totally wrong with the subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff. Keep your sketches coming. I'll definitely like to see more.

"It's not about perfection, it's about improvement."

My sketch dump

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More 30 second drawings, some with posemaniacs and some with the "figure drawing tool".

Some longer drawings, ranging from 5 minutes to 30 minutes for the last one, still done from reference. I'm working on getting better, more accurate with my anatomy and perspective. Those are two things I lack right now.

A random sketch page, all from memory. I want to do more portraits.

Lastly, a cool little project I started. I took 50 notecards, wrote random words on them like whales, air, flowers, lions. Then I draw three cards and draw something incorporating all three words. This was "skull", "robot", and "rainbows".

Last edited by JaredSellers; December 8th, 2011 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting sketches.
    I like to see this kind of variety.
    Keep up the value studies.
    Cheers man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, you charcoal, digital and rendering skills are wicked, especially in your portrait work. Your figures look off though. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, holy balls, I thought that orange was a photo. That's... pretty great.

Some random crits - you seem to be really good at breaking things down into planes and shapes; the digital portraits near the beginning of your SB are great, and I love the purple man from a couple of posts back. Your recent figure drawings are a little weaker... you're capturing the shape, but missing the form. Drawing through the figure more, trying to work out the structures that make it up rather than just looking for the outline, would help a lot. You know how to define a form with shading, but it's possible to get it looking 3D with line alone, and that's what you're missing right now... there's just not a lot of sense of overlap or space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Revidescent View Post
    Okay, holy balls, I thought that orange was a photo. That's... pretty great.

Some random crits - you seem to be really good at breaking things down into planes and shapes; the digital portraits near the beginning of your SB are great, and I love the purple man from a couple of posts back. Your recent figure drawings are a little weaker... you're capturing the shape, but missing the form. Drawing through the figure more, trying to work out the structures that make it up rather than just looking for the outline, would help a lot. You know how to define a form with shading, but it's possible to get it looking 3D with line alone, and that's what you're missing right now... there's just not a lot of sense of overlap or space.
    Thanks a bunch, something about the human figure just kills me. Especially trying to work so quickly, I'll definitely work harder on that. I've worked inifitely harder on portraits because earlier on it was just more interesting to me. Figure is a weak point for me, as well as sketching things out quickly with depth and form. I need to spend more time on posemanics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Nice

I like your work,But im more into penicl sketching or ink pen. I like the orange. (: Keep up the good work.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Maddy.[I]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I know this isnt really a drawing, but it's something I made regardless. Crit would be great on it.

Members who have read this thread: 1