IOW #7 - Alien Invasion - Voting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite alien invasion?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • nohoper

1 2.08%
  • AdrianNagorski

0 0%
  • Jagder

5 10.42%
  • c-rallis

25 52.08%
  • Dahlia

7 14.58%
  • Corrick

23 47.92%
  • SubwayDoodle

0 0%
  • Andrew Ritchie

13 27.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IOW #7 - Alien Invasion - Voting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IOW #7 - Alien Invasion - Voting

Voting for Illustration of the Week #7 - Alien Invasion

WIP thread can be found here.

Remember to include two WIPs no larger than 375 pixels in the longest dimension. Full size WIPs has to be posted in the WIP thread.

ADD BORDER.

Remember to use the attachment manager.

Deadline is Sunday 23th of October, 23:59 GMT

Last edited by Aksel; November 11th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Close Encounter

I like my Alien stuff to be mysterious.

Attached Images Attached Images      

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nohoper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  IOW#7_jagder.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  268.6 KB
    Name:  wips.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  95.5 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I call this finished. Although I'm not 100% satisfied.

Last edited by c-rallis; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to c-rallis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here goes

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

--------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi All,

This is my first post. It's a pleasure to join the fun. I draw on my iPad while I commute on the subway. I use the Brushes app.

Last edited by SubwayDoodle; October 23rd, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Typo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SubwayDoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IOW #7

Last edited by AndrewRitchie; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AndrewRitchie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aksel is busy in Sweden, so I put up the poll for everyone to vote. It's a multivote so you don't have to pick a single favourite .

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool round guys! Unfortunately was unable to really work on anything, but I'm sure another cool oppurtunity will turn up!

nohoper: textures are a bit unconvincing becasue of the muddiness. I can still make out the scene, but the image still looks like a work in progress, because it is in need of a lot of refining.

AdrianNagorski: very cool scene, it's actually reminescent of the transformers 3 movie in a way. The cityscape could use a bit more atmosphere, because there isn't a lot of contrast between the foreground presense in the image and the rest of the image. Also I think the use of some darker grey colours to give it that mood of 'All is lost' and perhaps some dramatic lighting on the characters in the front, even making this a night scene, the city can be lit up by the fires throughout the city giving it an eerie orange glow, and the characters are lit by a ship's spotlight or something. But the main issue is that the composition is in need of some contrast.

Jagder: exceptional as always, although if the thread wasn't titled Alien Invasion' I wouldn't have known this was an illustration depicting that. Add something to the image to show an alien presence (which I'm assuming is the vertical lines which represent sort of a meteor-like advance onto Earth) In your earlier wips it was a little more obvious because the vertical lines area little more prominent in the image

c-rallis: Very cool depictiong of the topic and great mood overall. Adding the blaster gun on one of the aliens gives it that threatening look as if they are not here to make friends, and a great way to show that this is an invasion, that will most likely be an inevitable end for the primitive humans. Only real problem I have is that while teo of the cavemen show alert poses ans postures, the one kneeling seems a little too relaxed with his arms just resting on his knee, looks like he's just casually reaching for the spear as opposed to the obvious 'Oh sh- little green men are coming get my spear!!' that you were going for! You got my vote for originality because it isn't often aliens are depicted invading prehistoric humans! Good job!

Dahlia: Very tense image, great rendering on the people, the alien could use a bit more attention, though. And although you get a tenseness, you could changed the angel of the image to improve the tenseness. I think you could've also added some king of shadow from the alien's hand or head, to add to that as well.

Corrick: O_O! That is awesome! I can see now that you can make awesome creatures and not just awesome environments. I like how you added little bits in the foreground to really shift the focus to the center, from the guy pointing, to the debris flying randomly but still leading the eye to the montsrocity in the center. I think the form of the alien could've been pushed just a tad, and even adding more of those aliens walking and climbing on the buildings, just to give it that extra feeling that it's an invasion. Either way you got my second vote this round! Awesome work as always!

SubwayDoodle: Another tense scene. However once again you could have chosen a better angle to show this, what you could've done for example is shw the human from the front and in behind you have the alien or several aliens. The alien's pose looks a little too stiff as well.

AndrewRitchie: Very neat take on the subject. There are a few problems with the image. 1 the farmer character looks a little too relaxed for what is standing right next to him, and 2 the pure black shadows seems a little much for the image. For your style I'd recommendyou try cross hatching so the shadows will appear darker but will still have that coloured information that won't make it look odd.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My thoughts hate it or love it, hope it helps either way:
    I voted for c-rallis and Andrew Ritchie

nohoper :
    its an image thats makes me wonder what happens next, it doesnt really say alien invasion at all,
    drawing people from behind is difficult, you nailed the lighting in my opinion and a sort of story,
    although your image seems sort of incomplete, color wise its seems that you deliberately used just a few
    which is good and hard, the orange pinkish light i assume is fire? you should of bounced some of that
    same color on your characters, since it too emits light.

AdrianNagorski :
    Alien ships seems incomplete, smoke on left seems out of place, foreground laser strike doesn't
    seem like its behind the buildings, human in front sucks, water corner needs more work reflection is odd
    aliens angle is incorrect, obvious use of photos.

Jagder :
    An interesting approach i would say the invasion element is subtle at best, the smoke streaks from the sky
    (black downwards) is cool but doesn't really explain where or why, i see you tried to soften in the background
    fron the fore ground, the brush marks left behind clash with the alien black spots in the sky, with certain sections
    of the foreground it seems blurred, like the main focus is the clear ground between the train tracks. Its a nice
    painting to it has atmosphere and a nice mood to it, the trees are a little fat pointy at the tops.
    I noticed your chow image blows this one totally away, your hitting all the marks just maybe more time on these??

c-rallis :
    The only think that makes it not totally an invasion - it does already, but the foreground alien needs a weapon as well
    the background alien with the gun was a stroke of genius, well painted love the cave men and the lighting great work
    on the anatomy as well, i did notice a few short cuts taken here and there with middle ground and the left part of your image
    but again it hardly matters since the warm to cool variation between the aliens and cave men tell the story already and
    you hardly look at the cave. nice work

Dahlia :
    Humans extremely well painted aliens not so much, i like the great sense of emotion convade in this one and the instantaneously
    different take and story this image generates. I think a weapon in one of the aliens arms would of elevated your piece alot,
    good work with lighting its difficult to light imaged objects, i guess thats why you used warmer light on the aliens
    and darked them out to so not to much making them silouttes but sort of a metaphor that the light/freedom is the aliens domain
    as the hums have to hide in the dark in fear.

Corrick :
    I like the aliens design, the explosion seems more like a focus point for the viewer to rather look at the aliens, the reason
    i say that is because its unclear how the explosion was created so it doesn't totally fit in, liking the debry and force
    of wind created form that explosion, not totally sure what to say concerning the building , the angle shot is great, as well
    as distance is well portraid. one of the humans seems just to take it a little too easy. Nice art as always!

SubwayDoodle :
    A nice original idea, hard point of view to work from, you seems to get most of the lighting done well, event the background
    fits a night scene perfectly, my only critique would be that the alien seems like he just wants to tickle the man, even thought
    its got crazy teeth and looks a little skeletal creepy. Extremely well done for using your ipad on this one!!!!

Andrew Ritchie :
    Very cool, like comics, the fear in the dog is great, even the story of how the alien came to be is great with the background
    spaceship crash. I noticed you shadowed all the main elements, but no shadow for the barn? A very cool composition.

Rob Powell: time was the main issue for me as well, but your right i didn't think of making it a night scene and
    lack of contrast. I wasn't thinking of transformers tho but i see the sort of connection I guess , i went for the most obvious portrayal of an alien invasion
    thanks for the comment.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Has to be Corrick for me. Classic and classy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C-Rallis and Corrick great jobs! C-Rallis for the idea, use of color and composition. Corrick for the clean and sharp execution.

Members who have read this thread: 2