Anyone Tried Samsung Slate 7?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone Tried Samsung Slate 7?

So my cousin suggested I get the samsung slate 7 instead of the ep121.

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the samsung for digital paint, and wat your reaction is?

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been walking the same fence as you bro, but I'm leaning more towards the Asus because of the screen. Battery life and weight is what will land the deal for me personally. The Samsung is 16:9 (I think) which is a little "too" widescreen for me, but then again, I haven't held it in my hands yet. Looking at the reviews and specs, I don't think one will totally miss out sticking with the Asus either, it already fits the bill quite nicely.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

The samsung seems to be slightly better in every way. From speed, weight and resolution. The huge difference is the battery life. 3.5hrs vs 7hrs(claims samsung).

The only thing that irks me is the awkward screen real estate.
    Its just looks too long and narrow.

But if you want to try it out, I think you can try calling your local J&R to see if they carry it, and weather one is out on display so you can test it out first hand.
    Here in NY i believe J&R will have them in stock by the end of this month.

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the ep121, and eagerly await my pre-order to come in for the Samsung Series 7.

Honestly it looks fantastic. Battery life is better...which isn't hard to do given how horriable the ep121's battery is. The ep121 uses a ulv Core i5....and runs photoshop pretty bad. You have to switch the tablet into high performance mode to get decent results from photoshop. And with keeping the screen at full brightness..I only get 1.5 hours from my ep121.

The Samsung Series 7 uses the Sandy Bridge update core i5 which gives it a tremendous performance boost. It has a higher capacity battery, its thinner, and has a better screen.

Trust me.....Go with Samsung.

And if your concern is that its too long and narrorw. The ep121 is even worse. They added the speakers around the sides of the bezel which makes it bigger. Using it in portrait mode is just down right uncomfortable considering how much it just towers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, this one sounds very interesting.
    Here are some things you need to do in order to get things right

http://illustration.org/

M

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This tablet is the one. Basically a 2lb, 1/2" portable cintiq with 4gb and i5. Display is more than twice the brightness of 24hd, with greater pixel density. Getting over 5 hrs battery life while using painter 12, zbrush, etc on highest performance settings! Handles pro apps like a champ!

Only downsides - no pen tilt or rotation, but still as accurate as cintiq....except no edge jitter like 12wx! Maybe less sensitivity, though. Hard to tell. Build isn't quite as solid as ipad, however I love the 16:9 ratio for art. Plenty of room for canvas with menu palettes to the side.

Got stuck at the auto shop for hours today and enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Last edited by James Thornton; November 8th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Thornton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got one too...and the Samsung Series 7 is phenomenal.

It may be lacking a full SD Card slot and a 2nd usb port...But for Art uses this is easily the best Tablet PC on the market bar none.

The screen is damn bright...400 Nits...superior to any Cintiq and the color quality is fantastic. The Ep121 has a nice screen, but it looks like TN Paneled crap in comparison.

and performance is top notch. Photoshop CS5 runs excellent on the S7S, and when using a regular hard round brush, there is no lag....something I couldn't say about the Ep121.

And full screen brightness, running Photoshop...I get 4-5 hours (wi-fi is turned off).

And its so thin and comfortable to hold. Unlike the Ep121 heft and sharp edges this is a dream to use.

The only flaw with it.....is a problem alot of units are having with the Bezel popping out of the case. This seems to be a pretty serious flaw.

@James Thorton.. Are you having the bezel problem with your unit? if you feel the bezel around the bottom front where the Windows button is...does it kind of push in?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are sections of the bezel where i can feel a little flex. For instance, the bottom right. Yet the bottom left must have some hardware beneath and is solid. For some it seems to be worse, but mine isn't bad. It's not rock solid like an iPad, and this is a design flaw, but one that I'm willing to overlook.

Overall, it is the dream device I've been waiting years for!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the response guys.

I was wondering, what purpose do you use the samsung slate for?

Im personally gonna use it for plein air, still lives, etc.. So, will I be able to do full blown paintings, like with a decent amount of layers and stuff, without the brush lagging?

If you guys are mainly using the machine for quick sketches, then I can see how there would be no lag. Im just wondering if this hold true for heavy duty multilayer paintings.
    Also, could you guys put up youtube videos or something using the slate?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will definitely be able to do full blown paintings. Obviously, it's not going to be as fast as a full system like an i7 MacBook Pro, but it's really good!

Easily handles Painter 12 on a 4k x 6k canvas with layers. Certain brushes in Painter will lag on any system at a large size, but in general it's keeping up surprisingly well!

Smooth as butter in ZBrush on a 4mil mesh. Get's a bit choppy over 10 if you don't slow down the brushstrokes, but it's definitely usable for final details.

So no, it's not a powerhouse, but for a little slate it's kicking ass all over the place haha! An artist could easily use this standalone for professional work. Only limitations would be very hi resolution canvases and models.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Thornton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the s7s about 2 weeks ago, but after 4 days I returned it due to build quality issues. The current batch of s7s are known to have a widespread issue where the screen if lifting away from the bezel causing dust or hair to get beneath the screen.

Aside from this issue, the s7s is a great and powerful machine. It handles sketchbook pro out of hte box, but cannot do pressure sensitivity on photoshop until you download the asus ep121 wacom drivers. (drivers from the wacom site will not work at this time, and there isnt any wacom drivers from the samsung page) Once you have the asus drivers installed you will get full pressure sensitivity in photoshop, but not sketchbook pro. They use different drivers. I experienced zero lag and everything was very fluid.

One major gripe I had though is the lack of programmable keys. You can download autohotkey and edit a script to make the volume up + down keys to function as ctrl+z and space bar, or whatever else you want to map it as. The lack of these keys completely killed my work flow as I constantly found myself having to click this and that to do simple functions like undo, redo, and so on. Also there is no pinch to zoom on the s7s when using photoshop.

I refunded my s7s and am waiting on the lenovo thinkpad tablet running android right now. I do not require windows 7 and specifically want a digital sketchbook. Hopefully the lenovo delivers on this area.

samsung series 7 slate (s7s) uses wacom and runs windows 7.
    lenovo thinkpad tablet uses n-trig and runs android 3.1 honeycomb.
    They both have 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sketchyd I have the asus driver and get perfect pressure sensitivity in sketchbook pro along with painter, photoshop, zbrush, etc….? Luckily, not much of an issue with the bezel. However, after reading tons of discussions on the web about it, I haven't heard one person say that hair and dust is getting under the screen…so...?

Sorry to hear that your's was messed up, though. That's bs.

Best of luck with android. Personally, I don't see the appeal. Those mobile os platforms are for consumers, not creators. They will never catch up with the professional art tools for pcs. They aren't supposed to. They're meant to be friendlier computers for those who can sacrifice power for ease of use, better battery, and cheaper software. Although neat, the available apps are so damn limiting in their tools and canvas size. Hopes were sky high when I heard Apple was releasing a tablet, but for art, these things are just toys. Who knows, that could change quickly, and I hope it works out for you

At least we know that soon enough, more super mobile pen tablets will hit the market for professionals and consumers alike. This is the future of art. Right now, the slate is the best option. Not perfect, but damn it I'll take it. Personally thought it would be years before something like this would hit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchyd View Post
    One major gripe I had though is the lack of programmable keys. You can download autohotkey and edit a script to make the volume up + down keys to function as ctrl+z and space bar, or whatever else you want to map it as. The lack of these keys completely killed my work flow as I constantly found myself having to click this and that to do simple functions like undo, redo, and so on. Also there is no pinch to zoom on the s7s when using photoshop.
    Isnt there a portable keyboard thing you could stick in the usb drive, and it has like 3 buttons.. CRL, ALT, SHIFT?

I assumed everyone using tablet pcs were using this usb thing.

Also, which tablet has the pinch zoom function in ps? Is it the ep121?

Edit

I found the pic, it was in the le1700 thread.

Are these not for sale?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Immortal Cintiq; November 10th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just bought the Samsung eslate 7 tablet and I am sooo confused as to how these drivers work. I was wondering what one i need for pressure sensitivity and what ones i need to be able to use the wacom pen. I get lost with the ones form wacoms site, asus's site and on samsungs site.

the one form wacom errors out and says error wacom, the one form samsung does nothing, and the ones from asus say tablet is not supported, am i doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...WKR7Fmv4jDLbBY

This Asus driver will give you pressure in painter, ps, zbrush, etc. Select w7 64 os> touchpad> Wacon ISD_DualTouch_V7.0.2-21

I had to download stuffit to open it, then extract all to a new folder. Run the setup.exe inside that folder.

Then under control panel> hardware and sound> pen tablet properties you can calibrate and change the pen button settings. Post back if you run into issues, and enjoy your new mobile cintiq!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally, I've been searching for this for quite some time now. I thought I found what I was looking for when I found the Asus one, but 1,5-4 hours of battery life? That completely ruins the whole idea, no matter how good it is.

How fast does the s7s turn on? Can it be kept in standby or does that drain the battery quickly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In Standby it's supposed to last about 100 Hours and 5 hours for a tablet is pretty good I think. You gotta tweak some settings and make sure processes that don't need to running are disabled in order to get that.

That's just basic PC knowledge though. Cut out the bloatware.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you can get 5 hours with the samsung 7 thats pretty good. i dont get closed to that on my ipad when im doing anything other then web surfing. games are even worse. like an hour battery life. anyway 5 hours for the samsung 7 is really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post

This Asus driver will give you pressure in painter, ps, zbrush, etc. Select w7 64 os> touchpad> Wacon ISD_DualTouch_V7.0.2-21

I had to download stuffit to open it, then extract all to a new folder. Run the setup.exe inside that folder.

Then under control panel> hardware and sound> pen tablet properties you can calibrate and change the pen button settings. Post back if you run into issues, and enjoy your new mobile cintiq!
    Hi,
    I also just got mine and finally got photoshop on the thing and there is no pressure sensitivity at all, when i go into the brush properties there is a "!" next to pen pressure in shape dynamics.

i tried following your link and extracted the files to a folder on my desk top and when i click on the set up, the license agreement is blank, i accept anyway and i get a " windows cannot find 'cprogram files\ tablet\devInst.exe" I hit ok any way and it looks like it instals it and wants me to restart but when i do nothings changed.
    so i went into the files i extracted and find the devInst.exe and put it in the tablet file in program files and try the setup again and again blank license and the a different error of "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). click ok to close the application."
    i hit ok and then it pretends to instal again and wants me to restart, but when i do nothings changed.
    I have no "pen tablet properties", only "pen and touch" and "tablet pc settings".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post

Hi,
    I also just got mine and finally got photoshop on the thing and there is no pressure sensitivity at all, when i go into the brush properties there is a "!" next to pen pressure in shape dynamics.

i tried following your link and extracted the files to a folder on my desk top and when i click on the set up, the license agreement is blank, i accept anyway and i get a " windows cannot find 'cprogram files\ tablet\devInst.exe" I hit ok any way and it looks like it instals it and wants me to restart but when i do nothings changed.
    so i went into the files i extracted and find the devInst.exe and put it in the tablet file in program files and try the setup again and again blank license and the a different error of "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). click ok to close the application."
    i hit ok and then it pretends to instal again and wants me to restart, but when i do nothings changed.
    I have no "pen tablet properties", only "pen and touch" and "tablet pc settings".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i downloaded every driver on the asus site and the one from samsung site and the ones from wacom, still no pressure sensitivity in photoshop or sai :-{

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never mind i downloaded the 32 bit one and it worked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got the Slate this week.

Really powerful machine. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that its so long and narrow. But nothing else i can complain about.

I was wondering, anyone know how to lengthen the battery life? are there any tips or tricks on this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just recently got the slate. I havnt downloaded the drivers yet, not sure which ones to get, samsung or asus, but ill work it out.

Seems great, its fast and responsive, however it doesnt have photoshop on it yet so i cant comment on that front.

The biggest issue is the pen distorts around the edges. I've heard that its common for all screen tablets, even the cintiqs to get this, but its rather bad and i remember hearing some way to fix it, though a driver or calibration. Anyone know any information on this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting mine in the post on Saturday! Will this work on the Slate you think?
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232383

http://39kasen.sakura.ne.jp/rawinputcontroltest/

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried using the autoscript on my samsung slate but the buttons wouldnt click. It got on there fine, but the specific app was only meant for eee slate and i assue its not compatable with others. If anyone finds one that does, or a way to fix this one, please let me know, cos the idea is awesome! you can even touch the buttons when the screen is off (your pen is within range) which sounds incredable

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, a fellow Slater! Im just really hoping I get a flawless unit, but the odds are stacked against me. it was a HUGE pain in the ass to get it here (sweden). What about you, have any build issues?

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah my build seems fine. I've only had it a day or 2, and a just found the bezel lift a tiny bit on the edge, but i pushed it back down and it seemed fine. Im not used to screen tablets tho, and the distortion at the edge of the screen between the pen and the cursor will take a bit of getting used to.

But ull love it, its fast and deals with big stuff in photoshop really well =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, there are issues for sure... Im ok if the bezel is raised a bit, i will glue it down, but if there is backlightbleed or areas of the slate that dont work, well then i wont be a happy camper. Are you active over on Tabletpcreviews? thats a really great and active forum!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would take everything i say with a grain of salt, cos im a perfectionist and havnt used tablet pcs before. The bezel issue is near non-existant, and the drag is barely existant too haha. I found i quicklt got used to drawing a few inches off instead of drawing directly on like paper, and it makes u able to change ur viewing angle to be more accurate.
    Oh, and theres literally no backlight bleed. The visual effect of the tablet is amazing and vibrant =]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5