Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tried Samsung Slate 7?

Thanks
    Sweet, a fellow Slater! Im just really hoping I get a flawless unit, but the odds are stacked against me. it was a HUGE pain in the ass to get it here (sweden). What about you, have any build issues?
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah my build seems fine. I've only had it a day or 2, and a just found the bezel lift a tiny bit on the edge, but i pushed it back down and it seemed fine. Im not used to screen tablets tho, and the distortion at the edge of the screen between the pen and the cursor will take a bit of getting used to.

But ull love it, its fast and deals with big stuff in photoshop really well =]

Thanks
    Yea, there are issues for sure... Im ok if the bezel is raised a bit, i will glue it down, but if there is backlightbleed or areas of the slate that dont work, well then i wont be a happy camper. Are you active over on Tabletpcreviews? thats a really great and active forum!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    I would take everything i say with a grain of salt, cos im a perfectionist and havnt used tablet pcs before. The bezel issue is near non-existant, and the drag is barely existant too haha. I found i quicklt got used to drawing a few inches off instead of drawing directly on like paper, and it makes u able to change ur viewing angle to be more accurate.
    Oh, and theres literally no backlight bleed. The visual effect of the tablet is amazing and vibrant =]

Thanks
    I picked up a Slate and really love it - but of course, Photoshop was nigh-unsable out of the box.

I have a little tutorial on getting a much better sensitivity setup, and a touch-enabled overlay that works in conjunction with the pen that makes Photoshop actually pretty usable on the thing -
    if interested, check it out here -

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sams...shop-work.html

Cheers!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbaldree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Got mine and its fine, slight bezel raising at the top but nothing to worry about (hopefully). Awesome piece of kit.

Thanks
    Yeah the bezel issue isnt a problem really. By the way, that asus eee slate software using the autohotkey script has been remade for samsung slate 7 =] look for it at tabletpcreview.com

Thanks
    Hey everyone, thanks for the great information on this computer. I had a couple questions for those of you who have the S7S:

Can this S7S Tablet PC rotate it's screen orientation landscape/portrait, or is it always in landscape?

Also, was I correct in reading somewhere that you can use a bluetooth keyboard with this, or does that come included with the unit?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Yes, the screen orientation can be rotated. There is a button on the right side of the unit that will toggle locking of the orientation. When unlocked, all you have to do is turn the unit the way you want and the screen will flip to match it. You can even turn it upside down if you wanted to.

It does have bluetooth so yes, you can use a bluetooth keyboard, mouse, or just about any other bluetooth device. I believe you can buy it with or without a keyboard. Mine did come with a nice little bluetooth keyboard. It's very thin and lightweight without feeling too cheap. The keys have some tactile feedback to them, though not quite to the extent of a laptop keyboard. I have no problems at all typing quickly on it (in fact, I'm typing on it right now!).

Mine does not have the bevel issue at all and the build quality is solid. I believe the bevel issue was only with older units manufactured at the end of last year (see here for more info http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sams...te-screen.html)

And for those curious, it does surprisingly well with games. Diablo 3 beta is (borderline) playable and Left 4 Dead 2 ran very well (totally playable). I can only imagine how much better game performance I could get out of it if I uninstalled some of the unnecessary programs and maybe even installed Windows XP. For those into emulation this would make a pretty awesome mobile gaming console since you could plug a game controller into the USB slot.

I was also impressed with the speakers. The sound won't blow you out of your seat but they are much more serviceable than the average built-into-monitor speakers. I was surprised that when listening to music or watching a movie I wasn't reaching for a pair of headphones.

At any rate, that's all icing on the cake anyway. Once you do a little tweaking (from the other tips in this thread) drawing on this thing is actually quite enjoyable. The wide screen does seem strange at first but the extra width actually works well for setting your various tool windows off to the side. I haven't set up Photoshop yet but Sketchbook Pro works great. I was surprised with some of the touch features it has built into it such as pinch-to-zoom.

I've only had it for two days, but so far this is the best thing I've ever spent a tax return on. I love it.

Thanks
    Hello all,

I am ready to buy one of these series 7. I am wondering if you would buy the win7 pro 64 bit version? I see they offer the win7 home premium which I assume it is 32 bit. I use 64 bit for everything else but I was not sure what difference there would be for a tablet.

Thanks

Thanks
    I got the Pro version mainly because some features (like additional language packs) are not available on the home version. Also I think it is a bit harder in Europe to get the Slate with the home version and I wanted to have that thing asap .

Edit says: For what I can see the Home version is 64bit as well

Thanks
    I'm currently looking to buy a second hand cintiq;
    But I started to wonder if it wouldn't be bettter to buy one of these things. Because even second hand, a cintiq is still more expensive and I really don't need a screen that big.
    I had a tablet pc 6 years ago (a toshiba) and I ended up almost never using it because it was too slow in photoshop. I was hoping that so many years later, tablet pc's would be ready for artists. But since the ipad tablets all went a very different direction.

I draw comicbooks and I usually work with large files (A4 pages in 600 DPI with multiple layers). Will the slate 7 be able to handle this?
    Also, is it possible to zoom in/out with pinch and can you select tools in photoshop with one hand (finger) while drawing with a pen with the other?
    If there's another tablet/laptop that's better for artist, please let me know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by floris View Post
    I draw comicbooks and I usually work with large files (A4 pages in 600 DPI with multiple layers). Will the slate 7 be able to handle this?
    Also, is it possible to zoom in/out with pinch and can you select tools in photoshop with one hand (finger) while drawing with a pen with the other?
    If there's another tablet/laptop that's better for artist, please let me know.
    Good questions all around. I'd be interested too.
    What'd really be awesome, is if I could gut the software and put a mac OS in there so I don't have to buy pc AND mac software...
    Last edited by philofmars; February 29th, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spell
    www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast