Anyone Tried Samsung Slate 7? - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey, so I don't know if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find any info on it.
    I read here that you can't use pen tilt or direction, but is that just because of the pen that comes with it, or is it really impossible on the machine? Because I read the pen is interchangeable with the intuos pens. I have 2 of those, including an art pen.

I was thinking of buying this to make my digital drawing process as natural as possible, as I want to do a lot of line work, and with my intuos I keep undoing my strokes constantly. But I'd like to keep all the possibilities of expressive strokes that I can get with my intuos. I'm wondering if cintiq is the only way to get this for now, or if this machine can handle that.

It seemed like a really great option, since cintiq prices are really prohibitive for me right now, especially here in Europe.

Also, does any of you who might do inking/precise line work, or just a lot of loose sketching feel the workspace on this screen size is enough? I don't really do big hand motions when I'm drawing, but I like to have some space for my wrist to feel loose. Looking at photos and videos it's hard to tell how it'll feel...

Last edited by LuisMelo; July 6th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Tilt control is impossible on Tablet PCs. With the exception of adding multi-touch, Every Wacom Penabled Tablet PC is using the same decade old digitizer. Tilt control is a more recent addition that Wacom gave to its Intuos and Cintiq line. However the Bamboo line and older tablet lines don't have tilt either. And Pen rotation is also limited to the Intuos and Cintiq lines, but further limited by requiring the art pen. The Art pen and all the current Cintiq & Intuos pens won't work on Tablet PC. however, Wacoms older Cintiqs like the 15 and 18 inchers from many years ago used essentially the Tablet PC digitizer, hence why those pens would be compatible. But anything remotely recent won't.

Additionally, the current Intuos/Cintiq lines have far more pressure levels and the new tip sensor requires less activation force. So it would be different technically to use a Tablet PC....but it really depends on your art style and habits. I have an Intuos 4, but I much prefer using my Samsung Series 7 for 90% of my art work, despite how inferior it is technically. Regardless of which I use. My art comes out looking the same, The luxury of portability and drawing on screen itself trumps everything else for me. But that's not the case for everyone.

As for screen size.... I manage just fine with 11.6-12.1 screens...but again, that will depend on the person using it.

Last edited by darkmagistric; July 6th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot, that's some great info on all the digitizer specs!

Yeah, it's hard to balance out the pros and cons and know if it's right for you. The portability is a big big plus for me. It wasn't at first, I was just looking for a cheap alternative to the cintiq, looking at the yiynovas and all that, but then I realised how compact this Samsung is, and how it would be so much more practical than my current big laptop plus intuos. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about the pen funcionalities I'll miss out on, when they actually aren't very important, I just wish I could be sure before I drop the money.

I guess the ideal thing would be to try it out and see how the drawing feels, but I don't think they're selling it at any stores where I live... maybe I'll try to get my hands on a friend's 12" cintiq to at least get a go at a similar drawing area.

Thanks again for sharing your info and experience!

Thanks
    if you drop your city maybe someone happens to live there in this thread and would be willing to have a meet-up
    I for one love the portability of the S7S and with the battery life just about cutting it fine for long train rides (even though there's usually power there now) it's what you could hope for take away the mentioned stylus features and a keyboard where ArtDock (and PaintDock) become very important if you don't use a bluetooth keyboard.

here's a competitor pricing at 5 grand x) 'nough said.
    I'm lucky enough to also own a fujitsu tablet pc which didn't deliver when it came to calibration, usability issues and such but gave me a stylus with two side-buttons as opposed to the S7S stylus with just one.

May seem trifle but I think it's a bummer they only made one side button to the S7S stylus.

I tried my Intuos3 stylus and it didn't work. Maybe the later series Intuos styluses would work, someone would have to quote on that.
    I'd only trust wacom tablet pc styluses to work without any confirmation from someone.

ca | pn | cd | zbc | as | tumblr | fb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nim View Post
    May seem trifle but I think it's a bummer they only made one side button to the S7S stylus.

I tried my Intuos3 stylus and it didn't work. Maybe the later series Intuos styluses would work, someone would have to quote on that.
    I'd only trust wacom tablet pc styluses to work without any confirmation from someone.
    lol....you'd love the Asus Ep121 then....thats the only Wacom Penabled Tablet PC where they included a Pen With NO Buttons.

With the exception of some of the Fujitsu Tablet PC pens, almost every Tablet PC comes with a single button pen, so its very common.

Intuos 3 Pens won't work because they use different frequencies.

However the best pen for Tablet PCs is the Axiotron Studio Pen.

Yes the creators of the original Modbook put out a great pen with 2 buttons and it was longer, thicker, and more comfortable to hold and use then any other Tablet PC pen. I personally have 3 of them.

In truth the Pen they used was acctually just a recolored Grip Pen for the older Cintiq 15 & 18, which both used the same penabled digitzer, hence why the pen is compatible with Tablet PCs.

For the longest time, the Axitron Studio Pen was available via an ebay store for years. Selling at $34 someodd dollars. I can't find it now, but if you check ebay frequently, its bound to show up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

nim

Thanks
    here's a competitor pricing at 5 grand x) .
    Ah, The Modbook Pro....its an interesting concept, but it does have some glarring oversights. The original Modbook was infamous more so for all the customer service related Horror Stories from people who tried getting one. Since they kind of made a new company for the Modbook Pro, I'm hoping they can do a much better job.

Aside from running Mac OSX, I would say the biggest trump in its hat is that its running a more full voltage core i5 or i7, and it can be equiped with 8-16 gb of Ram. Windows Slates like the Asus Ep121 and S7S, you'r stuck with Ultra Low Voltage Proccessors (which killed the ep121 for me) and 4 GB of Ram.

However, the Modbook Pro will also be twice as thick as the S7S, weight at least twice as much, its only Penabled so it won't have MultiTouch, and of course the pricetag will be at Cintiq levels.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a used one of these off ebay.

How do you all find the sensitivity?

Do you have to press hard with the pen to use it?

Does the pen need batteries?

Thanks
    The sensitivity is for me totally adequate, zbrush/photosop... there's a utility to change the pressure curve so you won't have to press so hard but I keep it on default now after trying that as I don't find the default curve too hard myself.
    As for the minimal pressure level, aka click detection level(?) I find that well balanced as well.

I haven't used the included pen much though since I already had a wacom tablet pc pen from a fujitsu lifebook which sported two side buttons vs the S7S pen's single side button.
    As has been pointed out though, there are (or were?) intuos-like pens sold (on ebay?) that gives a better grip and two side buttons, I'm prolly gonna try to get one of those sooner or later (the S7S doesn't have a slide-in slot for the pen anyway).

Now with PaintDock I don't really use both side buttons so much that I'd call it vital

the pen is wacom so no no batteries.

The only mild downside of the tablet that I can think of after enjoying it for quite a while now is that the battery life is average (not low but average for a performance portable). Other no-pen tablets with i5 processors have longer.. what is S7S... 2½ hours of painting? correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh a second little downside is that if you don't hold your pen totally perpendicular to the screen but tilted in your hand as would a normal pen, the calibration won't be spot on if you rotate the tablet around in your lap. But you see the cursor so I don't find it impeding much.

Oh and then the power plug is right where you hold it with your left hand if you're right-handed. Not bad, it's slim so you just have the cord between your fingers. Just thought I'd tell you everything even though it may not be a likely annoyance anyway.

(oh and consider getting the 128GB one if you can. 64GB is enough for 3D/2D work (with selective dropbox synch) but I had the impulse of throwing in visual studio as well just to be able to use it and I'm afraid my 64GB SSD is running out if I don't clean things up a bit.)

GL!

Thanks
    Hey everyone!
    I too, am thinking of getting the S7S. I have two questions:

1) After attempting to draw on an iPad with a stylus, I noticed that on many of the drawing programs (photoshop included), you had to draw a line of at least half a centimetre before it would register and start drawing. You could tap/draw dots fine. But if you wanted to draw a tiny, tiny line, it was useless.

Effectively, you couldnt draw small things in detail without having to zoom in all the time. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense- it was a VERY annoying problem

2) Battery life seems to be a (potential) issue. Can I leave it plugged in and charging constantly whilst in use? Like a laptop or desktop? Or does this damage the battery life in the long run. This is more for long gaming sessions than drawing, but am still curious.

Thanks for any info people! Am gonna wait for info on Microsoft Surface before I purchase this bad boy. But having done a little reading, it seems Surface wont be wacom penabled. Disappointing

Thanks
    Owned since release, good tablet but the Surface Pro will be a far superior build with a higher resolution, optically bonded display. Sent my first s7 back b/c it was built like cheap pc crap

Thanks
    The sensitivity is for me totally adequate, zbrush/photosop... there's a utility to change the pressure curve so you won't have to press so hard but I keep it on default now after trying that as I don't find the default curve too hard myself.
    As for the minimal pressure level, aka click detection level(?) I find that well balanced as well.

I haven't used the included pen much though since I already had a wacom tablet pc pen from a fujitsu lifebook which sported two side buttons vs the S7S pen's single side button.
    As has been pointed out though, there are (or were?) intuos-like pens sold (on ebay?) that gives a better grip and two side buttons, I'm prolly gonna try to get one of those sooner or later (the S7S doesn't have a slide-in slot for the pen anyway).

Now with PaintDock I don't really use both side buttons so much that I'd call it vital

the pen is wacom so no no batteries.

The only mild downside of the tablet that I can think of after enjoying it for quite a while now is that the battery life is average (not low but average for a performance portable). Other no-pen tablets with i5 processors have longer.. what is S7S... 2½ hours of painting? correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh a second little downside is that if you don't hold your pen totally perpendicular to the screen but tilted in your hand as would a normal pen, the calibration won't be spot on if you rotate the tablet around in your lap. But you see the cursor so I don't find it impeding much.

Oh and then the power plug is right where you hold it with your left hand if you're right-handed. Not bad, it's slim so you just have the cord between your fingers. Just thought I'd tell you everything even though it may not be a likely annoyance anyway.

(oh and consider getting the 128GB one if you can. 64GB is enough for 3D/2D work (with selective dropbox synch) but I had the impulse of throwing in visual studio as well just to be able to use it and I'm afraid my 64GB SSD is running out if I don't clean things up a bit.)

GL!
    Yeah, I live in Austalia and the 128gb model is like $2000... Used ones on ebay are around $700 from the US.

I'm really concerned about having to hold the pen perpendicular to the screen, could you elaborate on that a bit?
    If I hold the pen as I would normally and draw, would it register fine?
    or do I need to hold it at 90 degrees from the screen???
    Are you saying the cursor is slightly off of where the pen actually is when you write normally?
    I've seen vids on YouTube and it looks okay, any chance you could provide video or a photo of how you have to hold it to be able to draw decently?

This would be fantatic as a digital sketchbook, I just can't go ipad/android for you need to press really hard.
    The MS Surface does look sweet, but Win 8 will kill me I'm certain and also there's no set release date or no definative answer if it will have a Wacom pressure sensitive pen/screen. If this was confirmed I'm sure I'd just save up for that.

I'll mainly use it for PS and a render farm for Maya and any other rendering.

As long as i could get 3-4 hours on batery I'd be happy.

The Surface does look really nice though. Hopefully they relese more info soon, but otherwise I'll kep my sights on this.
    Surely I could install Win7 on the Surface?

Cheers.

Thanks
    There is no delay to the click detection. It might not be as sensitive as an intuos if you read the specs but I don't think I've noticed any lesser performance on the s7s in that regard.

About holding the pen perpendicular to the screen: whAt I meant was only that that is the only way it would be cursor-to-tip calibrated when you rotate the tablet in your lap. Only that. Since you will calibrate it when holding the pen in a normal diagonal manner like usual it will be adequately (imo) spot on in that same tilt of the pen and that same orientation of the tablet (ie. Normal as opposed to upside down).

This is because the s7s wacom tech does not support pen tilt detection so your pen position detected point will be slightly behind the tip, up the pen shaft. This makes the cursor move off-point with the tip if you rotate the tablet or change your hand posture and pen tilt.

But I for one rarely spin the tablet around in my lap and I always keep then pen laying in the same tilt in my hand so it's no issue for me. But sometimes I do spin the tablet a bit to make a better long stroke and then I just bare with the 4-12 or so pixel offset of the cursor.

I'll upload a video soon.

Thanks
    Ah nice, thanks for the info.

I'll probably get one within the next 6 weeks... Unfortunately my car has decided to die, and well, that takes priority.

Makes complete sense now, about it not being capable of pen tilt/rotation.

I don't think I'd be moving the screen too much.
    What if you move your hand on different angles? Does that affect the cursors location?

If you could upload a video that would really be great!
    Even if you could do a review as a whole. There are some up on YouTube, but they're not very thorough in terms of artistry.

Thanks
    so I did a quick video, hope I remembered to cover the questions and that it was addressing artistic concerns more so than the vids that are up there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5RU...ature=youtu.be
    there's the link. I won't embed here since you may wanna watch it big picture, hirez.

sorry for the glare of the room lighting, I had to brighten up the room not to make the contrast too high and the screen overexposed on my mobile camera which doesn't have proper exposure value control.

the glare of the glass screen is seldomly a problem irl, it just pops a lot more on photo/video.

I have one question for you other users do you experience after long sessions, PaintDock starting to go a little bonkers, pressing buttons on its own accord?
    I have no clue as to what causes it. It's not very obstructive since it kicks in right about when the battery is out anyway... due to bad memory management in PaintDock? or due to the heat of the device producing ghost touch input? I've no clue.

In any case, it's mostly no biggie.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm selling mine on ebay for 675 right now - I could do 625 for someone on here -

Thanks
    so I did a quick video, hope I remembered to cover the questions and that it was addressing artistic concerns more so than the vids that are up there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5RU...ature=youtu.be
    there's the link. I won't embed here since you may wanna watch it big picture, hirez.

sorry for the glare of the room lighting, I had to brighten up the room not to make the contrast too high and the screen overexposed on my mobile camera which doesn't have proper exposure value control.

the glare of the glass screen is seldomly a problem irl, it just pops a lot more on photo/video.

I have one question for you other users do you experience after long sessions, PaintDock starting to go a little bonkers, pressing buttons on its own accord?
    I have no clue as to what causes it. It's not very obstructive since it kicks in right about when the battery is out anyway... due to bad memory management in PaintDock? or due to the heat of the device producing ghost touch input? I've no clue.

In any case, it's mostly no biggie.
    Thanks heaps.
    Best vid on YouTube for an artists review.

You've covered all my questions.
    Now all I need to do is save up for one.
    A few weeks and I should be all good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetree View Post
    I'm selling mine on ebay for 675 right now - I could do 625 for someone on here -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Seri...06%26rk%3D1%26

Is that it?

Would you ship to Australia?

Thanks
    yea i always limit my auctions to US for ease but I don't mind shipping international - lost the pen on this but the stock one is crap anyhow - definitely get a motion computing LE pen -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetree View Post
    yea i always limit my auctions to US for ease but I don't mind shipping international - lost the pen on this but the stock one is crap anyhow - definitely get a motion computing LE pen -

I sent you a PM.

Thanks
    Well, just wanted to say thanks for all the info here and for answering my questions before.
    I ordered one and have been drawing on it. I love it. The only drawback I can find is the size, since I was used to a large intuos, and also the aspect ratio, which makes it very hard and weird to work on portrait mode in PS with all the tools on the right side.
    But the pros totally outweigh those. I'm undoing a lot less now I can see my hand, and the portability is just fantastic.

I took it out to draw at the park last friday. Even in the shade it was quite hard to see the screen, it was such a sunny day, but I managed to make a usable color sketch which I finished at home:

http://http://www.luismelo.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/calhau.jpg

Can't wait to do this more!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LuisMelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice sketch man! and congrats!

Thanks
    hey there!
    thanks for giving us some fresh impressions
    I was hoping you could do me a favour- does the instruction manual say anything about charging it for long periods of time? I was hoping to leave it plugged in to the wall, maybe even for days. But am worried this would ruin the battery life over time? Or cause some other problems.
    Btw, cool picture!

Thanks
    Hey all! I have been following this thread closely. I am about to get a S7S as it seems like the best choice currently. My question is: What do you all think of the Microsoft Surface? I know only specs are released but It seems to only have a better screen resolution. Outside of that I don't know if I see a benefit. The screen is actually an inch smaller too.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Surface pro will certainly be a better build (s7's had issues). It will have a higher res, optically bonded display w/ gorilla glass 2. Not sure if the pen is Wacom, though. I've had an s7 since day one, and it's been a great purchase. Surface pro or one of the other hi end w8 tablets will probably be better, but that's always the story with tech.

Thanks
    How pressure sensitive is the Pen with the Samsung 7 Series Slate? 256 levels of pressure sensitivity?

What's really important to me is whether you can get SOFT edges or not. Meaning if you chose the basic soft round brush, and start rendering a sphere, can you get good Hard to Soft edges by color picking values and softly fading out a color/value. (Just like on the Intuos)

If someone could provide an example that would be awesome!

Thanks
    if my video did not demonstrate the pressure sensitivity levels properly (I guess I did not focus too much on that) I can make another video soon.
    I can only say that I am satisfied with the levels. Much more important than how many levels there are (as long as there are enough and 256 seem enough to me) is that the pressure is sensitive enough in the low range and I can address that in a video next week perhaps.

Thanks
    Hey nim, that's would be awesome if you managed to get a vid up. I already own the S7S, but I just want to make sure that I am getting the most out of it. I installed the Wacom Digitizer Pen driver to get pen pressure, and then I went to tabletpreview forums to fetch the Pen Pressure Curve Tool and things has been movin along fine. But I feel like it is a bit difficult to get nice soft edges, so I was thinking it might be my configurations/setup that isn't fully calibrated. Just wanted to compare it to other artists, maybe we can find the optimal solution together

Hey do you guys use the Pen that came with the S7S or any other Pen? I don't mind having just one button on my Stylus Pen, but are there other benefits to buying another Pen?

Thanks

Thanks
    i had the samsung slate 7 and thought the screen was very good but and to me it was a deal breaker it runs to hot 55 to 60c idle for me is to hot..i decided to leave tablets for now until they have very low temps and ivy bridge i7 or i5 .new slate 5 and 7 in october look good as does microsoft surface..im goin to have a look at the wacom 24hd and if i like the screen will get one off them .another thing with the samsung 7 is the battery life isnt that good either proberly due to the sandy cpu

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andya147 View Post
    i had the samsung slate 7 and thought the screen was very good but and to me it was a deal breaker it runs to hot 55 to 60c idle for me is to hot..i decided to leave tablets for now until they have very low temps and ivy bridge i7 or i5 .new slate 5 and 7 in october look good as does microsoft surface..im goin to have a look at the wacom 24hd and if i like the screen will get one off them .another thing with the samsung 7 is the battery life isnt that good either proberly due to the sandy cpu
    What background programs did you have running? Seems strange to have those temps.
    I don't have one, not yet.
    But those temps are shocking.

Could just need a re-pasting...

Was is hot to touch, or mainly the exhaust?
    Did the screen get hot?

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    hi didnt try to see if screen was hot but idle normal for the samsung is 50c plus .no background tasks .i closed most including virus,its to do with the sandy bridge cpu in such a small space ..wait until the new ones come out in october ie surface and slate 5 and 7 .i got mine from amazon.co.uk £599 £100 cashback =£499 even at that low price the temps killed it for me so i sent it back and got myself a lenovo x200t which is cheap but allso superb im very happy ,but i am now getting the wacom 24hd as i will replace my 27inch screen with the wacom ..ill see what the temps are like on microsoft surface and new slate 5 and 7 and if there good maybe get one of them ..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5