Online Portfolios (which is better?)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Online Portfolios (which is better?)

Hi, I just wanted to get an opinion from everyone. Which is better when it comes to online portfolios, a blog set up or a gallery set up? My current site has a gallery set up but because its one of those easy drag and drop type of design things, it doesn't give me options to add captions to my pictures.

I was thinking of going to a blog style but I think that employers wouldn't really want to waste time scrolling through a blog.

Any opinions? Success stories with one or the other?

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,979 Times in 2,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    IMO the blog thing is annoying to look at for an AD. I want to see thumbnails first with the ability to view them larger. I can tell looking at a thumbnail if the work deserves a closer look. This saves me time and frustration.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the more powerful blogging engines (say, wordpress) have a way to make different pages so you can ake the first page static with thumbs and the second page an actual blog. They are easier to update than oldschool html pages too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wordpress is pretty flexible in that regard.
    As Qitsune said, you can make a static page that just shows your best work.

Even though wordpress is regarded as blogging software it has enough flexibility and plugins to use it to display your portfolio.

It's definitely much easier to update than a damn flash page I keep seeing schools push for students as part of their final projects for graduation.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    It's definitely much easier to update than a damn flash page I keep seeing schools push for students as part of their final projects for graduation.
    Those students should ask for their money back. Flash portfolio sites are almost universally LOATHED by ADs.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yikes flash portfolios? Do you mean like this: http://www.elizabethvisco.com/illustration.html (this is my site). When you click on the thumb it comes up in a separate little window, is it flash or something else?

I'm thinking of just scrapping this weebly site because I really can't stand the way they limit the way you can design it.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Quelquefois View Post
    Yikes flash portfolios? Do you mean like this: http://www.elizabethvisco.com/illustration.html (this is my site). When you click on the thumb it comes up in a separate little window, is it flash or something else?

I'm thinking of just scrapping this weebly site because I really can't stand the way they limit the way you can design it.
    I think the main problem with flash sites (aside from being a little finicky sometimes) is that people tend to push terrible opening videos that last way to long, accompanied by loud as shit music, and a bunch of other features which don't help get the message across and just annoy anyone trying to use the site.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Murphy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, that's just Lightbox, a common bit of Javascript.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie G View Post
    I think a lot of it is that people want to send images sometimes, and flash makes that more difficult. I custom-coded my website so that individual pages could be sent and the navigation would remain intact.
    Oooh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that part. That's always aggravating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to start making my own website, where do I start?
    Cos, I dont know anything about making website stuffs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use weebly.com
    It's very easy, just drag and drop elements to your page
    Not sure if it makes flash websites though :/ , I don't know anything about website making. Which is why I use weebly lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have both. A main portfolio website with my best work, and a blog that I update here and there with my sketchy stuff.

Having just a blog by itself is really annoying.

Flash is annoying.

and so are sites with lightbox - the time it take to load and resize the image is SO annoying. I checked your site though, and I guess you adjusted the time of it, because it loads up quick, which is good. I use fancybox myself. If you edit the javascript or the code, there should be a way to add captions with your images.

The important thing is that your site is simple and straight to the point. People probably only spend a minute or two on your site. Make it quick quick quick!

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blazinwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jaravine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simpler is better.

Unless you're trying to get a gig as a web page developer, anything more than a dead simple portfolio site is a waste of time and likely to turn off ADs. Unless you know your wordpress enough to flex it into the shape to serve as a solid portfolio, you're better off with a dedicated site.

deviantART, elfwood, and other art-aggregative sites do not make good portfolios either --there's too much other crap distracting from what a portfolio is supposed to do.

That being said, deviantART does have a very serviceable portfolio available as a perk for paying members. Considering the rates I've seen at other portfolio-only sites, it's a bargain.

Blogs and art-aggregate sites have their uses, just don't confuse the social-networking functions of those e-venues with the professional portfolio you intend to show potential clients.

I have landed good gigs via my blog and even dA, but there's a great deal of chaff generated, and I wouldn't want to send a potential employer to a website where the latest comment on a piece might be something like "I like the way yoo draw Vampi's tits!"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rpace View Post
    Simpler is better.

Unless you're trying to get a gig as a web page developer, anything more than a dead simple portfolio site is a waste of time and likely to turn off ADs. Unless you know your wordpress enough to flex it into the shape to serve as a solid portfolio, you're better off with a dedicated site.
    Wordpress isn't that hard to create a static page.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

Keep the theme simple, add on a banner of your site if you like. But you put all the information about you, how to contact you and your best portfolio pieces on that static front page.

Then the rest of the pages can be your blog. 2 birds, 1 stone.

You just install the Wordpress on your dedicated site - most sites these days have plans that let you do that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

If you make people click three times to see one picture, that's two other pictures of yours they are not likely to see.... possibly the one that would have sold them on hiring you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I`d say no matter what kind of layout/interface your portfolio has, if you`re BADASS, you`re BADASS and you`ll get a job.

See this exemple: http://mv.cgcommunity.com/

Mega unisteresting website layout. BUT, the artwork is amazing.

_QUASAR_

Blog

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _Quasar_ View Post

Mega unisteresting website layout. BUT, the artwork is amazing.
    Uninteresting is far more preferable than too "interesting."

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually just decided to put my portfolio up through wordpress. Until I have some money and know what plugins and extras to get, I'll keep it through the generic wordpress.com templates. But once you purchase your own domain name and etc. fees and install wordpress, your options are practically unlimited. Check out http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...r-a-portfolio/ 's article for loads of custom design templates (many of them are free!) and the abilities of using wordpress as a portfolio.

And, like another said, you can put your art blog right in there for those who are interested in more than just looking at your portfolio. It's a win-win for me. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Online Portfolio Tool

Hi! I would integrate a blog and a gallery. Both are very important! The easiest and best looking tool to do this is ALLYOU (www.allyou.net), in my opinion. I found it very easy to handle.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.