Quantum Locking - slight, but beautiful advance in superconductivity levitation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Quantum Locking - slight, but beautiful advance in superconductivity levitation

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Quantum Locking - slight, but beautiful advance in superconductivity levitation

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Now I'm going to be smiling all day.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's cool in so many ways...

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is so, so cool... watched it several times since yesterday. The physics for dummies (me) explanation is here, for anyone interested.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I once watched a program about interpreting bible etc and one part was about Ark of the Testimony - scientists made heavy chest levitate with that metod (superconductor cooled with liquid azote) and it was pretty stable. This is really awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fucking magnets...how do they work?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe that this effect is what's being used in Maglev trains. Maglev technology is very cool. China and Japan have train(s) that use this technology.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One step closer to the Jetsons.

But seriously I'm not even one of those people that are amazingly into science. But this made my jaw drop a bit. That was fucking amazing.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I remember when I was about 12 trying to levitate a piece of Lego between a number of weak magnets (it was all I had) because I thought it would be a great way to sleep scaled up.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    I believe that this effect is what's being used in Maglev trains.
    The principle behind Maglev technology was invented by the great British enginer Professor Eric Laithwaite in the late 1940s and it was known as the linear induction motor. (Sadly the money was not there to dig up all the victorian infrastructure that was the british transport system in order to implement it and this state of affairs still limits rail transport development in the UK to this day.)

Quantum locking is a different principle.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I don't speak french wondering if this is the same or similar technology?

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    SOON.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, that's some awesome stuff right there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Quantum", I can't hear this word without cringing, the word has been so abused.
    I think it's usually called vortex pinning, the "quantum whatever" is just to impress the people who have no idea. Like "nano" was popular for some time, everything around 1 m was suddenly called nano. Ooo, "quantum" ... a fancy name that can mean anything.
    There are tons of effects that go back to quantum mechanics, it's like saying that the electrons are quantum locked in their orbitals in an atom. I mean, it's not wrong... I just find it uncool to use it so much.

In this example they probably have YBCO with strong pinning. You can achieve this by introducing the right kind of defects and a high critical current. The defects you get by mixing in some materials that create point or line defects. The high critical current is achieved by mixing in some silver.
    The defects serve as pinning centers from which the vortices can't move without extra energy.
    Actually that levitation effect has been known for quite some time already.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.quantumlevitation.com/levitation/The_physics.html
    In our case, since the superconductor is extremely thin, the magnetic field DOES penetrates.
    1 m of YBCO on sapphire is actually not that thin.
    The field penetrates not because the superconductor is "thin" but because YBCO is a type-2 superconductor. It's part of the definition of type-2 superconductors that they can be penetrated by magnetic fields, it's called the shubnikov phase or vortex phase and is the important part that makes the levitation stable. The levitation is caused by the meissner effect, shubnikov phase plus vortex pinning makes it stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post
    Quantum locking is a different principle.
    Actually there are MagLevs based on the meissner effect and flux trapping, or they are being researched.

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    I don't speak french wondering if this is the same or similar technology?
    Yes.

Here's another link on levitation you might like:
    http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/

My Stuff: DeviantArt, Sketchbook
    My Tools: Gimp
    IDW

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Leysan,

The innovation is in the way the materials are used, which is a legitimate, if minor, bit of progress.

Most of the web sites out there seem stumped as to how these guys pulled off this little trick. Fortunately, the researchers explain it in detail. And even more fortunately, it’s not that hard to understand.

First a thin sapphire wafer is created. It is then coated with a very thin ceramic layer of yttrium barium copper oxide which becomes a superconductor (materials that conduct electricity with no loss of energy) at very cold temperatures. The result is a frozen disc. When it is placed over a magnet, the superconductor material and magnet repel one another due to the Meissner effect (the expulsion of the magnetic field from a material when it goes into a superconducting state). But, because the layer of superconducting material is so thin, some of the magnetic force is allowed through at certain particularly weak points. These paths through are called flux tubes, and they are the real secret to the whole trick. Because there are many of them they cause a three dimensional holding or locking effect, which is what viewers see when watching the video

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every time I hear "quantum" I think of retro-futurism.

I imagine this guy is going to build a vessel and try to make it de-localize with a mouse inside it or something.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/aaron_o_con...um_object.html

Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    SOON.
    You have no idea.

Yes, it's real.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Leysan,

The innovation is in the way the materials are used, which is a legitimate, if minor, bit of progress.
    Fair enough, the quality and production of YBCO and magnets gets better.
    I've seen this experiment presented regularly at open door days and university science fairs for the last 15 years, whether with bulk or thin film superconductors. It's been done probably for longer time, the one paper on "locking" I linked to in the last post is from 1987. Not saying that the effect it not super cool or something.
    By the way, you should look up the "quantum eraser" experiment (this one is really known as such, even by physicists). It's a basic experiment in Quantum Mechanics and it blows your mind.
    Look it up.

But, because the layer of superconducting material is so thin, some of the magnetic force is allowed through at certain particularly weak points.
    As I already said this is wrong.
    The magnetic field passes through not because the material is thin, it would pass through even if the bulk was 1 cm thick or more, they pass trough because type 2 superconductors allow this mixed thermodynamic phase where the superconducting and insulating states coexist.The only part where the thinness gets important is probably the superconductors weight.

My Stuff: DeviantArt, Sketchbook
    My Tools: Gimp
    IDW

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Leysan For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.