Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

FIGURE/PORTRAIT DRAWING ASSIGNMENT 1

Ok, I was asked by a few members to maybe give them something to work with that can be critiqued. So this is what I am thinking for this thread:

I will give a form assignment of some kind once a week, you guys have the week to post and make corrections. During that week, when I can, I will make comments on the work, and give instructions as to what to fix, etc. and post them that same week for crit.

The next week I will post a new assignment.

1. This weeks assignment is to draw 5 heads from photo
    reference, attach the photos to the art...

---For the drawing, I want only form. No details. Do not look for the eye lids, highlights, nostrils, lips, ear holes, etc. Look for form. The Form of the head, the form of the nose, the form of the tooth cylinder, the eye socket and ball in the socket...and the values that are rolling across that form. Keep it simple.

---Lets see if 1. you know what I am talking about, and 2. if you can see it correctly.

Good luck and have fun. Become explorers, not frutrated students, and seek out the answers, it will make the experience that much more rewarding.

Good luck and hurry...1 week is not that long.

Ron

And dogone it all, sign up for AUSTIN TEXAS...I will be out there with the big list of great pros, and will demo figure stuff, portrait stuff, etc. for the cost of the event. I will talk with ya 4 days in a row all day on this stuff...a one time chance..unless we do it again...heh GO TO AUSTIN.... CHECK THE LOUNGE FOR DETAILS>

ron

Last edited by fredflickstone; May 8th, 2004 at 12:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Welver, small village with cows and all that. near Dortmund, Germany.
    Thanks
    first one!

many thanks that you spend your time and effort for things like this, ron! i really have to say that after i didn't thank you for answering some of my dumb questions at sijun.com... :emb:

sketches, doodles, serious attempts and blah blah at http://stefan-anders.blogspot.com

Thanks
    another trial. strange that i don't see my mistakes before i scan my drawing and compare it lying next to the reference pic in photoshop...

sketches, doodles, serious attempts and blah blah at http://stefan-anders.blogspot.com

Thanks
    For the drawing, I want only form. No details. Do not look for the eye lids, highlights, nostrils, lips, ear holes, etc. Look for form. The Form of the head, the form of the nose, the form of the tooth cylinder, the eye socket and ball in the socket...and the values that are rolling across that form. Keep it simple.
    ups... i think i read too fast... and me very bad english only...! :bash:

Thanks
    :jump1: Wheee! I'm definatly in on this.

Thanks
    same :chug:

Thanks
    Sounds fun, let's see if I got the concept of this task correct. Is this the right amount of details or is it to detailed?
    I don't really understand why my drawing lookes so much thinner, because it seems to me that they are the same size, if one messure :confused:

FIGURE/PORTRAIT DRAWING ASSIGNMENT 1 FIGURE/PORTRAIT DRAWING ASSIGNMENT 1

This is, btw, the swedish prime minister, before he changed his glasses

Thanks

THis is more along the lines of what you want to be doing first. Get the general size of the head, and then get the values of the volumes correct, in short, simplifying the forms and looking for the values. Details in the face are the eyes, pupils, irises, highlights, lids, nose, the nostrils are details, the mouth, everything about the mouth except the tooth cylinder is a detail.

In short, details are bad. Get them second. FInd the form first, and make it volumetric. THis is the way to see the big and simple which is sooooo important....

Got it?

Talk again soon.

Ron

Thanks

uh, this was an hour's work. i was focusing on forms but, i got lost in mindless staring :p i forgot what i was doing. i broke a few of your restrictions, sorry about that, i know it doesnt help me any - my mind got lost. with your response i see more of what you are looking for, and will aim for that.

the foreshortening on the forehead always gets me. i planned to draw the glasses on the right and the eye on the left and it was proving to be very difficult. i am tired, had to stop

-killing

Thanks

first portrait

First one:

Thanks
    Hey, cool! I wanna play! :chug:

Ok, this is probably more detail than you wanted, right? I tried to do it faster and looser, but it wasn't working, and I went into slow detail mode. Do the dark lines count against me? I'll start on the next one, and try to get it looser.

FIGURE/PORTRAIT DRAWING ASSIGNMENT 1 FIGURE/PORTRAIT DRAWING ASSIGNMENT 1
    (Damn... I wanted them side by side!)

Funny how we all seem to be picking faces with glasses! I'm gonna finish this drawing now.

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I don't think I got it, anyway, thanks for this exercises Ron.

Thanks
    Darkstrider-that is the concept sorta...if you look at Rogers down below, that is more along the lines of what to aim for first. What you have works, but its too cartoony. THe idea of modelling in form first is for the volumes and values, which you have achieved very well here. The other objective is to have a good close rendition of a likeness with no details, so that once those volumes are convincing, all that is left are the details, icing on the cake.

You have found a strong likeness, in the vain of a characature, which you could depart into if that is what you have chosen once the generic, form finding has been achieved. This also usually has less curvature to it in the very beginning so that the understructure can be found first, which is why form first; it sets up a strong scaffolding for an even stronger finish. We get so caught up in the lines of teh eyes, lips, etc, we forget the surrounding tones that create the additional character volumes that make up the rest of the likeness. That is what this exercise helps achieve.

Roger, those are fantastic. THat is the point of this. Now, one additional comment for your work, think of the direction of the lines. THat is, make sure all your lines count in the drawings, and not count against you. The tones on the third picture down, the actor with the gold cross on a chain, the lines describing his forms are breaking apart too much, some of the lines are going against the structure you set up in the middle of the cface that works so well. But, you have achieved the right goal in this exercise, the lines of your drawings are additional information that was not originally called for exactness.

Great work you guys, we will make great artists of all of you yet!
    :chug: :chug:

ron

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2