Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Making controversial art hurt art career?

    Does creating art that deals with controversial topics (dark, sexual, violent, political, etc) hurt an artists career in any way?

    I've been told that if an artist creates anything outside of the normal/acceptable (not particularly what was explained) that it would hurt their chances of getting hired, and that they should work under a pseudonym to make that sort of art.

    Does it make a difference what sort of field your going into? Are animators expected to be more mainstream with their topics, and fine artists not so much?

    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Use a pen name?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Why use a pen name?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    517
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 170 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MythrilWolf View Post
    Why use a pen name?
    ...Because it isn't your real name?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    So making certain forms of art would hurt your career? You have to use a pen name?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    517
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 170 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MythrilWolf View Post
    So making certain forms of art would hurt your career? You have to use a pen name?
    Well, you might not have too, but I bet if you're trying to work for Disney they don't want someone who draws ultra-violent porn.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    If I understand it right, though, massive black creates work for children's companies, and a lot of their site's portfolio is geared towards adult audiences. It has naked women, ugly violent monsters. They do create adult content that's definitely not appropriate for children, but are still hired to do work for content meant for kids.

    But I still hear from people every once in a while that if you create certain risky content, people wont hire you. I'm just looking for more opinions on this. Is it true that people wont get hired just because they create work that has certain content in it, or are people just so scared of not getting jobs they jump on the pseudonym band wagon without even thinking about it?

    Interview with Justin "Coro" Kaufman http://www.schoolism.com/interview.php?id=27
    They start talking about the content they make and for who around 00:34:00 to 00:36:00
    Last edited by MythrilWolf; October 18th, 2011 at 09:31 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Inland Empire
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MythrilWolf View Post
    If I understand it right, though, massive black creates work for children's companies, and a lot of their site's portfolio is geared towards adult audiences. It has naked women, ugly violent monsters. They do create adult content that's definitely not appropriate for children, but are still hired to do work for content meant for kids.

    But I still hear from people every once in a while that if you create certain risky content, people wont hire you. I'm just looking for more opinions on this. Is it true that people wont get hired just because they create work that has certain content in it, or are people just so scared of not getting jobs they jump on the pseudonym band wagon without even thinking about it?

    Interview with Justin "Coro" Kaufman http://www.schoolism.com/interview.php?id=27
    They start talking about the content they make and for who around 00:34:00 to 00:36:00
    Well, I never thought that Massive Black exhibits a dead shark in chloroform.

    And I guess Jeff Koons made some pretty penny by making controversial stuff.
    Last edited by gogidolim; October 18th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Never heard of Jeff Koons. He's got some pretty interesting stuff.

    But I wonder if he, and many other fine artists, are given more leeway since fine artists are expected to create controversial things? I have a feeling that might be the case. That's why I asked if it just matters what industry you're going into.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,178
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MythrilWolf View Post
    Does creating art that deals with controversial topics (dark, sexual, violent, political, etc) hurt an artists career in any way?
    That rather depends on what the career you're going for happens to be, doesn't it. If you're really keen on Christian illustrations then perhaps a gallery full of covers to heavy metal cds isn't going to help that. On the other hand, if you're going to do editorial illustration then controversial political art isn't going to hurt you any.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    That rather depends on what the career you're going for happens to be, doesn't it. If you're really keen on Christian illustrations then perhaps a gallery full of covers to heavy metal cds isn't going to help that. On the other hand, if you're going to do editorial illustration then controversial political art isn't going to hurt you any.
    Well, I figured artists could just create works with a variety of topics and then make a portfolio specifically for each company they apply to.

    For example if a concept artist made a wide variety of works on many topics, but saw an opportunity to work for a game company on a horror game- they could make one specific portfolio to use when applying for that job specifically. One that had scary, bloody monsters and whatever. Then after they do that job, and see an opportunity to work for another game company, but this time the game is a kids game for girls, they could make a portfolio with cutesy character concept art. Would the work they did for the previous horror game affect whether or not the latter game company would hire them? That's the sort of thing I wonder about.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    It hurts if you're not really for that job. Meaning if you spend all the time illustrating muscle chicks, you may not be suited for soft fluffy animal covers.

    If you're worried about content that is highly controversial (embarrassed to even show your mom you do this), use a pen name

    I mean if you're not embarrassed to tell mom you make violent zombie concept art. It's fantasy, no big deal. If you're drawing lesbian tango with donkeys and monkey sacrifices, then use a pen name

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Subject matter doesn't dictate someone's capabilities, so I think someone who makes muscly women could make fluffy animal covers.

    Catering to the networking of more then one identity/persona on art websites might take up more time and energy then it's worth. If one doesn't need to then I don't see why an artist would. I'm getting the general vibe that most people think they have to use pseudonyms and good reasons to worry about why they should, but I see no proof as to whether or not people actually lose jobs if they create certain content. So I'm asking around.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    782
    Thanked 490 Times in 312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MythrilWolf View Post
    Subject matter doesn't dictate someone's capabilities, so I think someone who makes muscly women could make fluffy animal covers.

    Catering to the networking of more then one identity/persona on art websites might take up more time and energy then it's worth. If one doesn't need to then I don't see why an artist would. I'm getting the general vibe that most people think they have to use pseudonyms and good reasons to worry about why they should, but I see no proof as to whether or not people actually lose jobs if they create certain content. So I'm asking around.
    Well, the fact of life remains, people can be judgmental. If you want to be absolutely sure someone doesn't, in error, judge you as bad, based on seeing not so mainstream content of one genre or another, the only way to do it is to not generate it (or not generate it under the same name).

    The question you need to ask yourself, rather then if it actually happens, or how much, is if it is worth the risk. The more talented you are, the more you;ll end up in the spotlight, the more people will scrutinize what you do, *and* the higher the likelihood some crappy person will get jealous, and want to try and make it difficult.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,211
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,687 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Just do your furry porn under a pseudonym and stop worrying.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Career change- 28, too late for school and career in the arts?
    By shinji-eva01 in forum ART SCHOOLS & ART EDUCATION
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
  2. Art: No feedback? Maybe I'm not being controversial enough!
    By DanHenk in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: October 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
  3. fireface - muahahaha, oh dam the smoke making my eyes hurt
    By satori in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
  5. Very controversial topics?
    By Zirngibism in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com