Sketchbook: Eat, Sleep, Draw - liquorbleu's allovertheplace sketchbook - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinggsss

I'm going to take this pencil sketch further I wanted to post it now in case I couldn't post later tonight

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working for a couple days on this Illustration, figured it might be fun to make a gif out of the process.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the image dump for today!

First was a beach study this morning, some things I learned.

A messy perspective study - learned a scene of perspective could be taken to look like something completely different.

A mountain scene from imagination (with reference!)

Some thumbnail black and whites

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some 300 paintings - it was a good exercise to try to bring it to color. The color was a lot more complicated in this screenshot than I thought it would be. I need to focus on what is 'warm" and what is "cool"

using a soft brush really made painting the sky easier, clouds. in the screenshot the guys in the back were really out of focus but I don't know if I achieved that look or not.

Also I'm driving myself insane I haven't left the house for so long I need to get out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to try out doing some creature concepts. Was a fun little exercise. Made sure to stay rough, do a bunch of ideas first and then refine each.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    such a contrat since page 1! keep on going!

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steeliebob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Great updates, been working hard. I really love that imagination enviro you did. Love the colours and the mood, you are very good at setting the mood of a piece. My only crit on that would be watch your perspective on the houses. It seems they are pointing to two different horizon lines, but that could just be my imagination xP keep it up!

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your enviro work is definitely your biggest strength, though both those and your other paintings have some saturation issues - they're all very desaturated. Even fire seems sort of greyed out. When you're doing studies, check your colours every once in a while with the eyedropper, just to see how close you came. You may be surprised!

You should also try doing some gestures. Your figures are a bit stiff, and gestures can do wonders for finding the figure's flow. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Steeliebob Thanks man!!

Jaik Hey Jaik, thanks a lot for saying something. yeah I'd really recommend trying an exercise of having 3 or 4 reference images up while you do imaginative work. It was really great. thanks for pointing out that perspective tidbit, I did really struggle with that.

Revidescent Thanks so much for stopping by and the suggestions. I do really need to get back into gestures. I really know nothing about color or how to implement it and it really is hurting me and my work. thanks for pointing that stuff out.

Ok so I've been absent the past couple days dealing with some personal issues. I learned a valuable lesson this week though- as much as everyone plugs drawing and painting until your eyes bleed - it's not worth it to let everything else in your life go to shit. And that's kind of what I let happen. I'm going to spend more mental energy in maintaining the relationships that are close to me - cause really - they are a huge part of what inspires me I took a break to only draw a few hours a day and fix some problems in my life and I really do feel refreshed and ready to go again.

Anyway, here's some stuff I've been working on. I'm going to sign up for a poster contest my school is throwing for incoming students. That's why they are in this weird format.

The figure is based on me (and unfortunately looks more like me than I wanted it to lol) I was thinking some kind of apocalypse or zombie thing going on in the background. I have to take some building reference shots though.

This other one is a photo I took while biking along the waterfront the other day - still needs more polish but it's getting there. I've been struggling to make it "print safe" It's probably way too dark but I don't know how to make it seem like night if it's not that level of darkness.

And I guess I'll just add it but it's meh - just a destress sad little lasso tool composition lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG progress has been SOOOO slow on this girl with a bat drawing. My heart just isn't into it at all and I just keep sitting there staring at it like - wtf do I do now? I think I'm using so much reference for it I have no imagination in it or something.

I tried to do a lizard painting without the grayscale first and wow my values are off - might be good to keep doing to try to practice more? I don't want to have to do a grayscale study first every time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuuuufff - swatches of colors from my oil paints
    imagination sketch (with reference)
    went on a 4am hike - took a picture and painted it. had a little breakthrough with this one colors are only what they are because of the colors next to them. Stop color picking and just changing the value, need to change the hue too. Start to recognize that there are tons of different hues in something that seems simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet update! 4am hike, urgh, too cold for that here...

As for your thoughts on colour, you are correct in that all colour is relative, which is why a neutral grey can look warm or cool depending on the colours surrounding it. Colour is a complicated beast -.- just one of many.

We totally should do a CoW though! When i get back from my 2day trip we should bounce some ideas off eachother, I know I can certainly use the help with creature designs >.>

Keep up the work!

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff! Reference, no reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more landscapes using references but with imagination too.

The one with the bath house is for the Environment of the Week - I feel meh about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates!
    The eclipse enviro you did 2 posts back, if you darken all values but the light from the sun, it will look a lot brighter, the sky will be surprisingly dark during an eclipse, or at least thats how our eyes see it

I had a look at the EoW, I didnt get it, so I didnt try it.. is it meant to be a big bird bath Still looks cool though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm one thing I've noticed is that you're colours look a little washed out, like that sun peeking throught the trees a few posts above. The orange of the sunlight should be pretty saturated but you're leaving it sort of middle range, try to push thsoe kinds of things a little more, greys are great but hints of saturation really bring the picture to life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there well the latest figure drawings are good one thing that you should improve is your pencilwork relax think about the lines you are making and shade shoftly layers of graphite your enviros are great check those 2 recourses daarkens blog and ctr-paint both have great stuff about digital painting and drawing iam into them at the moment
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    http://enliighten.com/
    cheers

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dimi - hey man thanks for stopping by, I do need to work on pencil work - I have my days where I don't want to touch the computer and days where I can't get off it. Recently it seems like I can't get off the computer.

@Psychobuddy - thanks, I've really been struggling with color I'll keep those things in mind'

@jaik - yeah I wasn't happy with my EOW as far as content goes, I tried to draw bird type creatures but it was just distracting. But at least I can say I participated in one now!

My camera still is shit for taking pictures of pencil drawings.

Thought I'd also toss in the funny sketch I did yesterday for DSG - it was "big bulky slow warrior has trouble fighting little quick imp"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD i know exacly that feeling!however i believe that thats a good way of practising but keeping a balance is also important, i think iam ending up having headaches from the pc drawing days :/ ok back 2 work now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahaha sweet imp vs ogre thing. Try using longer lines in your sketches instead of the short quick lines, it takes a lot of practice but they end up looking a lot more dynamic and smoother in the end (I'm still struggling lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies!
    Definetly keep those up.
    The landscapes look the best, specially the one you did after the hike.
    I see you also do oil paintings. The masterstudy on page 7 looked really good. You should do more of those landscapes in oils, I find that painting traditional and from life helps a lot with learning about color.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jaik AAH! i know that's my biggest weakness - I tried this week since I was on vacation and didn't bring my comp to just focus on my linework and just freaking relaxing. It's been really hard for me. all my life I've had really sketchy handwriting and I think it carries over to my drawing.

@Voodoo_mama Thanks man, yeah school is about to start and I really want to take a lot of painting studio classes so there's a lot of painting to come.

alright so this is a mix of really frustrated drawing and really relaxed drawing. Right before I left for vacation I was having a lot of stress with personal issues going on in my life right now - but a vacation and spending some time with family and resolving those gave me a deep breath and now I'm feeling a bit better and ready to get back to work and get on to the new school year which starts September 4th. I'm not sure how regularly I'm going to be updating this but knowing me I'm going to keep doing a lot of personal projects along with homework.

also I need to get out and plein air on the weekends! I've soooo been procrastinating because last time I got so frustrated trying to figure out how to get the colors I wanted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright there's no way that I can post all of the stuff that happened while the site was down. Here's some of the stuff I did out of school, lol. I don't have time to take pictures of all the drawing and painting I've been doing for school. WHICH IS AWESOME.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just want to do a quick update from stuff I've been doing - forgot about this skin study thought I'd update it. I should do it again soon since I've learned a lot about color.

The still life is in Acrylic- it looks better in person

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha paintings always look better in real life than they do on the computer dont they?

Really nice updates here, dont be afraid of saturation in your digital work though, using a couple of spots of high chroma can really bring out the focal points in your image!

Good stuff, hope you are enjoying school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok! Get ready for a huge image dump!! Lol

Been working in micron ink, it's been difficult to get used to and I'm realizing more and more I just need to keep working and working at my line. I can hide my line through painting but I want to have really strong linework. Should be obvious what's from observation and what's from imagination.

The digital study is for my class, a study of Justin Gerard, definitely one of my favorite artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that you should experiment digitally the same way you did in the traditional painting. Add more vibrancy and not so much desaturated colors! Enjoying your studies mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work, Liquorbleu! Just be careful to not make the eye too big the portraits. By the looks of it, they seem like photo study, so just be careful, since the camera lens can mess feature up.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, justin gerard! *swoon* The guy is a master! I agree with flashback, careful on the size of the eyes, but other than that you are improving which is great to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so I know this is lame for such a long break and such a short update but it's just been hard to upload everything and I've been doing a lot of crappy imagination drawings recently.

But here's some figure paintings in acryllic and a portrait done of the author Patrick Rothfuss, acting as an innkeeper (like the character in his book!)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4