Sketchbook: Eat, Sleep, Draw - liquorbleu's allovertheplace sketchbook - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Eat, Sleep, Draw - liquorbleu's allovertheplace sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing a lot of fundamental 'boring' stuff as suggested

I have done pages and pages of these repeated shapes. Instead of just drawing out of the book I've been working on drawing something and internalizing it so I can really draw it from memory. So I'll draw the image a bunch of times until I feel like I can memorize it and then draw it without looking. It's definitely helping. My lips and noses look way better already. I've also been doing some small amount of perspective. I used some of it in this doodle where I was just playing around.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, forgot about this hand study I did too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on this little illustration to see if I can get it anywhere near what's in my head. It's getting closer - it still has a really sketchy feel.

I got really attached to the line drawing and I'm not sure how to let it go. I'm not sure if the colors are working very well, I pulled them pretty randomly.

Need to work on the lighting, I think I'm going to sleep on it and see what I can improve tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here's the finished piece for now. Not perfect, but I managed to pull out colors I think that at least created the illusion of light a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a still life from Awesomehorse's livestream today. Noah was painting this reference and I decided to paint along with him, this is how mine turned out.

I definitely could do some more polishing - I might come back a little later

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The still life needs more contrast, the colors are washed out. It's obviously sketchy, nothing wrong with it except the object below the bullet is unrecognizable and a bit merges with the axe. Apart from these, I find it quite nice. You totally should work on it a bit more

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShinIN haha thanks for your comment, yeah you are totally right! I have this thing with contrast! ahhhh!! I'll probably end up working it a bit more tonight - it could probably turn out to be a portfolio piece if I tried hard.

Ok so I know I had set this picture to rest but I got some critiques on it and kind of revamped the whole thing. This is what I have so far. any more critiques on it would be lovely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, liquorbleu, thanks for stopping by my SB! The first thing I noticed when coming back to yours was #94. I don't know about anyone else, but for me there's a style there that could very well be developed in its own right, even though I'm thinking you're trying to go for the more traditional, realistic approach. I like the almost "cut out", paper look to it. It's super cool and might use that in some later stuff of mine. So even if you didn't mean to, you inspired me.

P.S. I'll have my main website up soon, check back on my SB later for a link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I've done today. I did an exercise where I did some master studies. Here some speed paintings originally painted by Jon Mccoy. The lion is unfinished but I didn't feel like I had a whole lot more to learn from him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MRFrenrik Sorry I forgot to respond to you last post! I definitely need to check out your website when you put it up! Congrats!!

Here's some figure drawings from today- I've gotta get back into them. I'm probably going to do more tonight after homework along with some thumbnails that I'm playing around with for landscapes.

These are 5, 11, and 30 minutes respectively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the shitty quality on the figure drawing, I have no light in my house and my scanner isn't working.

i also tried out some thumbnails as an exercise - turned out... eh. I think a few of them could turn into compositions though - maybe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are different lighting situations I know but I have the same problem looking at any of l your digital paintings: values and saturation. Push contrast and saturation more You can't even go overboard with the first one normally.
    You can say you see the lion behind some dust in a too sunlit day or that it's your interpretation but what about the campfire? It must be bright and light, huge contrasts on the surroundings... Your still life definitely improved but it still could use some darker shadows, at least where the objects touch the cloth, I'd make a bullet shinier and more colorful too and push the contrast in general... Even if I look at it as a soft interpretation with softer colors, I can't help but see it a bit washed out.

Figures: try to use bold long strokes. They probably won't be "correct" but it would give a better result and a better approach, focus on the flow, see the big picture, slowing down and doing little strokes helps the stuff break apart, at least it's my experience.

Thumbnails... I should do them too. I need to draw full pictures with composition. Good thing you did them, some of them are too vague even as a thumbnail but it's definitely the right path, keep doing it The compositions aren't that good yet but there are some interesting direction. I like the top middle but it's "left heavy" (is there such an expression?) at the moment. Top right: the gate thing touches the top side in a very bad way, don't do that. Middle row, left one: very tight crop, especially the lack of a proper bottom hurts depth in my opinion. Maybe it still could work if you had a figure or other interesting something going on but not the way it is now I think.
    I miss black in your thumbnails too. Contrast is very important already in thumbnail level, values guide our eyes, part of balance and other obvious talk, I don't wanna bore you.

I learned a lot from a great book, Jack Hamm: Drawing Scenery. It starts with several pages about composition, it's not your easy little read before going to sleep.

{I can't remember who said me explicitly I totally may to be as critical as I want, not like I can help if I'm in a critical mood. I try to do my best at it and hope I never will meet a sensitive little flower who will feel stomped because of me. I have totally good intentions but as my inner artist child is in close relationships with my inner critic, I feel very well how brutal the latter can be. There are a thing called timing too. It seemed to me you are at a point where you do could use some advise, it's not like I tell every little flaw I see, it would be quite pointless and disturbing in many cases. I guess I see the chance of your leveling up with some change of attitude in regards contrast }

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN: I really really appreciate your criticism, no need to apologize at all!! gosh, every time I get a harsh criticism it really jumps me forward a little bit. It's really what keeps me going so seriously bring it on!! As long as it's constructive and not just - "That sucks!" it is seriously so so helpful. I really thought about your criticisms for pushing contrast in this study and it really really helped me. So thank you!

I had to do a bunch of school work today - so not a whole lot of sketching to show. I did some class sketching stuff though so it wasn't time totally wasted. I got bored in my last class and started sketching thumbnails again and a weird thing happened. I realized that I can remember how to compose the landscapes from memory that I've drawn before in the thumbnails. Like every one, even the 15 minute ones. It was crazy. That realization blew me away cause the more I do of each composition the more ideas it'll give me of my own and how to set things up. Maybe my brain is working more artistic memory now or something but I'm really feeling it today.

anyway, this is another landscape study - from another artist named Andree Wallin - check him out here's his website
    http://andreewallin.com/

I thought a lot about what ShinNIN said with contrast and I was really trying to understand value vs color. I haven't got it yet but I think really concentrating on it helped me. I am also realizing I don't use the wacom like I do to sketch, so I was trying to imagine I was sketching with a pencil and for some reason that really helped my line work.

Edit: I still need more contrast - it was just a time issue, I didn't want this to be a really long study- I meant to do 15 minutes and it turned into about 2 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a 2 hour figure drawing session - the first one is 11 minutes, then 30 minutes, and the last one was an hour but I really really struggled with it.

I decided to put it up to show how I was struggling with it, I think I just kept getting more frustrated and frustrated. I noticed halfway through I was like hunched over the drawing, with my face really close and all agitated. I tried to sit back and be less stressed about it but I couldn't really bring it back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once I spent 7-8 hours on a basic line sketch for a simple standing figure... Yeah, I know what struggling with a figure means. It's still annoyingly hard these days . I can't say anything good advise here.

The enviro study doesn't looks bad, I dig the foreground and the waterfall thing, I have just vague idea what's flawy and my English and the late hour totally keep me to express it, I tried and failed, sorry. Some perspective at the edge of that plain and the blueness of the foremost hills looks odd...
    Whoa, Andree Wallin's site is amazing, thanks for the link!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ShiNIN Keep doing those figure drawings, I've done them for the past 3 days and it's already getting easier. I've been trying to do at least an hour where I sit down and draw figures.

These are all under 30 minutes. I guess my aim with these is to try to get them down on the page before the picture switches, try to improve line cleanliness, and trying to draw the parts of the body that have been difficult for me -quickly. Feet, faces, hands, Legs- actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More figures -

I also tried to do something that I was uncomfortable, and that's mechanical things. It was initially so bad I wasn't even going to save it but I salvaged it a bit I think. I'm not super happy with it - but it's definitely something I need to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a healthy (I think) exercise of just sketching with no reference and no ideas. It felt really good and this guy came out.

Also did another speedpaint study of a landscape, unfortunately I don't have the artist's name for the artist for this one! sorry! if anyone knows let me know and I'll put his name here. 45 min

And finally a newer self portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 days? I've drawn figures for quite a few years without having idea how I should start a new one or just how a human body really looks like... Of course, more practice (I did a few thousands but that was very sparse practice) and a more serious approach probably would make a difference... But I don't want to discuss that.
    Mechanical things... I think you should start with simple objects, they are more exciting that they seem anyway. Get a solid look, focus on light and form, think in 3d.

The self portrait is cute (okay, maybe I shouldn't say that looking in those serious eyes I like the expression even if it's neutral/serious and probably not intended just happened) but the features aren't consistent, we see the nose much more from the profile than the rest and the mouth is front viewed unlike anything else. The eyes are a bit oversized. The hair behaves very unusually, the neck probably should be seen Not like I'm one to talk, I drew zillion front viewed neckless hairless faces but it's not the right way A typical problem is that the face got all the love and attention, there's some vague hair, the skull shape is obscured and there should be more cranium, probably.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I've done in the past couple days. I've had some stuff going on IRL so I've been preoccupied with that - but I have been drawing. just not enough time to upload the stuff I've been doing. Here's two studies that are pretty easy to upload.

I was focusing on rendering in the first comp more - still not super happy. I guess at this point artists go in and really spend a couple hours tightening up. I guess I should set aside some time to do that soon. Here's the website of the original artist, not my comp. http://andreewallin.com/

Second is from photograph, from awesome horse livestream

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on imagination a bit. I've been doing a lot of studies from loomis and trying to internalize it. I've also been just exercising my imagination brain - feels really good even if my work isn't top realistic quality. I need to keep doing studies but I really come up with a lot of fun ideas when I do this.

Last piece is no reference, about 6 hours. I tried to render and use a different brush and implement some colors that worked ok together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Balance is important... I wish I didn't stopped doing things from imagination, it's not easy to go back there. One can test their abilities by doing thing by themselves too.
    Pay attention to proportions more... For example, the gal is getting heavier from head to feet and her arm is too long.
    I like the stuff in #110

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working really hard to try to gather a portfolio to send to an art school here. So here's some stuff I've been working on and thinking about including in my portfolio - along with earlier works from this sketchbook too. I need 15-20 pieces.

The landscapes are WIP, I don't think I'll send the man's face in to portfolio.

Also, a skull exercise and a rework of that same composition, I think I'm going to let it die though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, it's just me again. I can't help it, I always have an opinion about your stuff. It's not a bad thing
    The portrait has extremely wide eyes. It seems it's my destiny to talk about my pet peeve, one eye gap between eyes nowadays. Everyone and their dogs draw wiiiide (and often overall big) eyes at the beginning and this beginning easily may mean years.
    Boat enviro: too RGB, you need subtler colors. The red is okay but the (purplish) blue is very saturated. No matter how bright is the color they painted the boat, the blue is in the shadow, it looks very odd being so very bright there. And I'm quite sure grass doesn't have that green hue everywhere but I couldn't do it any better so I better shut up.
    Beach enviro: I like it, not as a completed painting but something towards that. I definitely see the waves splashing as waves do and the sky looks almost okay, I'd give the clouds a bit more definition (hm no, I'm obsessed with clouds and I'd try to make them a very important part of the painting, clouds are awesome and can help with composition and mood... )... But you totally need to do something with that hill. It's the single dark part of the otherwise high key painting, the eye can't help but look at it and what does it found there? A kinda dull object without hue or value changes, nothing to see there and depth is killed too, it's a shape acting like a black hole. Well I see there are some lighter strokes on it but it's not very visible. There's a wonderful overcast sky, the rock/plants on it must have light values somewhere!
    And I'd give the painting some more color. It's a bit too much that both the sky and the soil is gray, the hill is almost totally black and the waves has a single hue.
    In reality, colors are bouncing along with light (I LOVE radiosity, it's a great thing ) so it's not like this part has this color and the other spot next to it has a totally different other one. If you paint like that, the paintings will fall apart.
    The gal has a small head and a bit short arms and a bit too high boobs even if their arms are raised.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN - I'm loving I can always count on you to be there to tell me what to improve on, man. Unfortunately I didn't get to doing landscapes today but I'm really going to keep those things in mind. I'm having a tough time with the boat cause it's super bright in the picture- they are both photo studies and the light is making everything in the pic super saturated.

Didn't manage to get around to fiddling with those WIPs today but I ended up trying to improve some older paintings so I could put them in my portfolio. This brings me to 10 pieces now, I need 12-20. So i'm close. I'm thinking I should probably have 15 or 16.

had to stop for the night, my eyes are bugging out and can't focus. I guess I've been going for 5 hours so I should take a break anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colors are wonderful but tricky things, aren't they? I don't know what will happen when I start to do enviros but skin coloring does very impressive efforts to drive me nuts.
    Photos makes life harder because the camera sees the world differently than our eyes. The scenery is wonderful around here but the photos I make are different - well, working in raw and using Lightroom is much better than using the camera's abilities Still, the human eye is more sensitive, the real colors are more than the ones of rgb color space...
    I got carried away so easily...

The first pic in your last update... The pose is very very boring, an almost completely symmetrical front view, I would avoid such ones whenever it's possible, probably using 3/4 view but at least some assymmetry in the gesture, I think even guards put their weight onto one leg, especially when they have something to lean into .
    But if you do it as practice, that's okay I guess. It just makes flow spotting easier
    I did a clumsy overpaint but I'm not sure I didn't make new flaws (making him a bit curvy instead of manly) so I better just say a few things.
    Most of his torso has the same width but it's not quite right. Well some people are like this but they don't look good and you need a nice manly body to save this dull gesture and would suit the situation I guess. So I'd give him a more developed Latissimus Dorsi
    Don't forget: if you put objects onto the body and they aren't flimsy ribbons or foil but have width, the outline will change.
    The clothes around his thigh (I dunno its name, sorry) should show the forms beneath but it hands a bit randomly.
    I don't quite see what is he wearing exactly and your strokes are somewhat sketchy so I don't see it enough to be more precise (not mentioning my little skills about clothes and armor, a naked body is more than enough challenge for me at the moment )

I'm not very collected today but I hope I told you something to think about.
    I won't dump my blurb here so much in the near future I guess, there are sketchbooks of my new visitors to look at and some stuff to draw and paint... Not mentioning my guiltyness because of my wall of texts. Maybe I bring overpaints in the future if you don't mind, it would require less time and would be more clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ShiNIN I'd love if you have time to do some paintovers, haha! I've never had anyone paint over my work before and I think it could be a huge eye opener. I got really frustrated with that armor guy, I took him out of my porfolio cause I didn't like how he turned out. Too boring- maybe if I get a chance to change some of those thins I'll put him back in.

Get ready for an image dump from yesterday. I'll show you guys the real pictures too so you can compare.

Most of this stuff is just fine tuning. I'm still fiddling around with that cliff watcher composition, I got really frustrated though and this is as far as I got with it.

I feel like I'm close with the oceanside, I think I need to edit the little guys on the beach they are kind of off kilter.

As far as the boat picture... I'm having so much trouble with color. especially of the plants and rocks. I can't make them look good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to post this by itself, was playing around with brushes when this happened.

I wanted it to appear as though it was dark, in the middle of the forest- so I did the greyscale and tinted everything blue.

I was also kind of thinking it was kind of a movie shot, where the man has just woken up in the forest, without his clothes, and is realizing where he is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for the kind comment. c:

I think something that would help you a lot would be if you pushed your values more. In your figures it would help you get a feeling of volume, and your environments a feeling of space.

I do really like your environment paintings, though. They've got great atmosphere.

Keep it up!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing a lot of random sketching. I'm not one of those people who knows how to talk about what's troubling them very easily, but I'm scared (?) over a girl. So. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Some still lives, painting from out of my window, some rough compositions.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4