Sketchbook: Eat, Sleep, Draw - liquorbleu's allovertheplace sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some practice with a graphite pencil. Did a sketch from the live action Skyrim commercial (who else is excited?!) and a self portrait.

Also a speed painting of the occupy camp here in Portland.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to try a landscape from imagination in greyscale and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

It's definitely a bit muddy in some places, and I need to work on perspective and lighting but I felt like this painting had a mind of it's own when I started painting the characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a figure sketch of a capoiera fighter and I think working in grayscale is good for me so I did another grayscale- this time from photo reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another cityscape painting

Decided not to post my Brigman studies from this week (because they are helping me but they basically look the same)

But I did an exercise that I saw on FZD Design which you try to draw with some reference but using a designer's mind, so you can draw things in all perspectives. They look pretty bad but I do feel like I could draw both of these things from imagination and from any angle a bit better now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep doing studies but also mix it with personal stuff, seems like you're doing just fine

-Twitter-Facebook
    JohnSilvaArt@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    ca sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John Silva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I've been doing this week.

John, I tried to do more personal stuff this week as you suggested and I can really see that the more I try to draw from imagination, it gets a little easier sometimes. Even though it can be frustrating!

Did another self portrait, this time not using the tip of the pencil at all and mostly using the side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to do some more paintings from imagination, the building is a study I did along with some classic loomis/brigman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This painting is the celebration I did for two months since I started to draw seriously!

I tried to just mess around with thumbnails, so here's some of that. Trying to draw from imagination again, had some mediocre results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you use references for your imaginative stuff, you don't seem to know enough to make up real life yet. Just sketch out your ideas and when your composition and poses are decided use photos to make sure everything looks right.
    Keep up the good work! for just 2 months of serious arting I think you did a great job with that building!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The inn picture was an original Court Chu painting that I tried to sketch out to get the perspective, it taught me a few things but I'm not happy with how it turned out.

I had a big idea for a painting with a scene with werewolves that I utterly failed to do. I did some thumbnails but once I got to the picture there were too many things I didn't know how to set up correctly. So I tried to do some study of wolves and stuff and managed to draw this with some reference help for the head (but I should have looked up reference for the body, damn)

This figure is the only thing I feel good about drawing in the past few days, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the face and upper body of the last one, but something seems kind of off about his legs. I think the lower leg might be too small (either that or the upper leg is too long, which, thinking about it, seems to be more the case) and the foot looks a bit flattened. Otherwise, looks good.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grey sequences For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been trying to do a landscape from imagination that I'm happy with for a long while now, think I finally achieved some level of happiness with this one!

Here's some other sketches from imagination and a comic bobba fett sketch from reference.

Last edited by liquorbleu; November 29th, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I've been doing in the past couple days. These character sketches are from the Knights of the Old Republic comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some paintings!! First one is Revan from Star Wars, used reference from the Wiki.

The church sketch started out really good but I ended up not liking how it turned out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a painting I did last night. A tree spirit that watches over the village.
    I've been experimenting with how to add color into a piece and I took pretty small steps with this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing a lot of painting the past few days, I should practice some sketching too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, liquorbleu, great start to a new SB. I would suggest doing as many perspective studies as you can in tandem with anatomy/color theory/etc. It's always amazed me just how simple everything becomes to draw when you can simply SEE it in a 3D space on paper. Also, as Vertical said, referencing images can't be done enough, especially when you've just started out. I continually reference for everything that I draw, even if I know that I'm comfortable with the material. It just keeps the believability in your artwork and helps to ground it all in reality that much more.

PS. It's great to hear that you're learning on you're own. Gives me a little more confidence knowing that someone else is going at it the same way I am. Keep it up and don't be afraid to stop by and say hi on my SB!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrFrenik - Happy to hear someone else is self taught so far too! Thanks for your advice, I really do need to stick to references. My work is so much better if I do! I'm buying a new perspective book so hopefully that will help and I'll start doing more exercises!

Here's a new piece from photo study. I'm not sure if it's done or if I should keep working it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping by my SB. Always appreciate a good crit. Now for my crit, I personally always enjoy the sketchy quality of something, much like your last portrait has. It has basic value, lighting, and form in it, so everything reads well. The main thing I'd say to work on is to bring out more and more contrast. Right now everything sits at a mid-tone level - nothing's very bright and nothing's very dark. Everything "blends" really well without any shard definitions in it. Find out where those important spots are in the reference and really bring those out. Your values will really pop out from each other and read that much better.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and I'm going to start just doodling and coming up with more things from my head more. I know that's important so I want to make plenty of time to just be creative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start to your sketchbook! Keep it up!
    I am a beginner too but I had a couple suggestions that have really helped me.
    To combat the sketchy lines I have two suggestions...I do this a lot too but first check out this video: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/4/12/loosen-up.html . The guy who makes this website (which I also highly suggest looking up since you're getting a lot into digital painting) says you should draw with your whole arm, not just your wrist/fingers. To practice loosening up and drawing more simplified lines rather than scratching it out in tiny lines is to do lots of figure drawing! Especially helpful were single-line blind contours and drawing in big sweeping motions with the mindset that every single line is extremely important. Whether or not the line goes how you want it to doesn't really matter, just draw another line over it. Hopefully these tips help a little, they've definitely helped me.
    And just to wrap up this comment, the digital portrait in your last post looks really, really good. It's my favorite thing in your sketchbook so far. Keep it up! (:

"the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

sketchbook. comments/advice appreciated (:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to neonndreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys, I spent a couple more hours just rendering the best I could. As to Frenik's suggestion I tried to pull out some more contrast in the piece. It's still pretty medium toned though.

My likeness is way off, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a painting I did of cherry from planet terror, likeness is off again, haha. Maybe eventually the likeness will show itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew... I had a lot of trouble taking this from greyscale. I did a whole process with this, thumbnails, first sketch, greyscale, and then to color. It turned out okay but I need to figure out how to color better...

Star Wars, fight in front of Jabba's palace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another sketch from idea today, need to start again on practice exercises tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great start here liquorbleu! You've made some great progress in the short time you've been working on this sketchbook. Your figure drawing in particular is starting to come together nicely, the proportion and quality of line in your most recent pieces has come along leaps and bounds. I'm delighted to see that you're doing some anatomy studies from Bridgman's book, I found it a fantastic resource and really felt my understanding of how the body works grow. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, keep it up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to David Keen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I looked through your SB, wow, you are a hardworking enthusiastic one There's variety in your stuff, you keep pushing and get better, imaginative works, short texts, totally to my liking... I should take an example of you regarding a few things
    You mentioned blur. Don't use it. It's for pros I think, it's on the blacklist beginners should avoid. I personally say the same about soft brushes expect very special cases. I may be a hardcore hard brush lover so you don't need to listen to me, even I say people should experiment and even make mistakes in the beginning... You don't overuse soft brushes as much as other beginners either... But you often do scribbling. The picture in #46 is a good example of it. Those thin lines don't look good, use a bigger brush.
    I rarely say this common phrase but it's a nice start. Keep up with it and you will improve a lot in the very near future.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm home for the holiday, I've been struggling to draw every day but I've managed to do a little bit every day.

This painting is a study of another artist, I didn't know if I should put it up online at all or not. It's not nearly finished or anywhere near what I want it to be - the original artist is court chu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on a color, photo study of an ex girlfriend.

Here's the WIP

also another portrait of another friend

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3