Perspective and drawing a temple
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Perspective and drawing a temple

I have to do a concept work of a Mayan-type temple. I don't want to get to artsy in terms of fancy off-kilter views of it b/c it needs to show the whole temple, mainly the front.
    So, I have many examples of temples and found some concept art of them from the most recent Tomb raider game. I've inserted it here. I need to know...I guess this is one-point perspective, or possibly two (one off the paper to the left, one for the back of the building going off the paper.) Is this the best way to approach this type of drawing? The perspective here isn't very steep, which I like.

But I want to make sure it's interesting enough. So maybe off center a bit, slightly angled? This temple is embedded in the side of a mountain so it's quite big. I don't usually draw buildings and setting up the perspective lines is a bit challenging here just b/c I'm not sure the best way of portraying it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That painting is a three point perspective, which is much of the reason why it looks good. Notice how the pillars and walls in the foreground have perspective toward a point far underground. If you just go with two point perspective it is going to look unnatural and the building will look like a miniature.

The perspective here is not very steep because two of the vanishing points are quite far off the page.

Architectural concepts require a lot of planning, and perspective is part of that. It might not be what you want to hear, but if you want it to look good then take the time to plot your perspective.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting work but you don't know and can't recognise the type of perspective an object is from looking at it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Thank you Scott. I can see all those now but yes they are far off the page. I'll try to overlay all of them in photoshop so I can see it clearly. I am playing w/different views of the building too and trying to give the client something nice when he does not know what he wants in terms of perspective, mood, or even structurally. I'm not used to doing 3-pt for sure.

D, I know you're very talented and are a very good resource, but I don't need the attitude. How in gods name is that helpful to an artist trying to learn and REACH OUT? If you don't have anything productive to say, please don't comment. Talent does not give anyone the right to be an ass. That really does not make me want to get involved in this community. I don't know how people post their WIP's with that type off bullshit response.

The point underground is so slight that I'd say it's easy to miss. I've drawn perspective before but LIKE I SAID, I'm not used to drawing architecture.
    If anyone else has something to add to help, please do.
    Otherwise, I'll try to figure everything out myself and w/5 projects at once, having pointers here and there would really help.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phix95 View Post
    I'm not used to doing 3-pt for sure.

D, I know you're very talented and are a very good resource, but I don't need the attitude. How in gods name is that helpful to an artist trying to learn and REACH OUT?

I've drawn perspective before but LIKE I SAID, I'm not used to drawing architecture.
    Dpaint's point wasn't that you shouldn't learn and branch out, but that why have you saved the learning and branching out to the point that you have taken work (which you pretty much imply with your first sentence, that this isn't just something for your own practice) that you are unfamiliar and seeming incapable of doing?
    I mean, the fact that you "guess this is one-point perspective" kinda tells that you aren't at all familiar even with the basics of perspective. (And it's not just about "seeing" the perspective, a good knowledge of theory would tell you that X sort of image needs X-point perspective.) And you should have those hammered to your skull before even considering taking architecture design jobs. I mean if you got a job as a race driver, would you save learning how to drive until you're sitting inside the car and in your first competition? It's one thing to take a challenge and another to be unprepared.

Last edited by TinyBird; October 19th, 2011 at 03:39 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Highly doubtful he's talking about actual work. This is probably for a school assignment, in which case he should be asking his teacher these questions. Because that's kind of what they're there for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Highly doubtful he's talking about actual work. This is probably for a school assignment, in which case he should be asking his teacher these questions. Because that's kind of what they're there for.
    I'm wondering this myself too now, seeing how this
    I am playing w/different views of the building too and trying to give the client something nice when he does not know what he wants in terms of perspective, mood, or even structurally.
    could either mean a real client, or that this is stuff for a theoretical client. Be clear, people!

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.