Sketchbook: Valentina D'Este's mostly cute stuff
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valentina D'Este's mostly cute stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Valentina D'Este's mostly cute stuff

Here I will be posting sketches, studies and work that I am very likely to abandon.

My main artistic career objective is to illustrate children's books, so do expect a lot of cute things :p. I will still really appreciate critiques and comments though.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lady Medusa; June 17th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love cute stuff. The concept is very funny, because cats are simply awesome no matter what.

Maybe you could add more shadow effects to make it more 3-dimensional, because the shadow on the head has the same depth as in the shadow on its feet, while the head closer to the viewer. Keep them coming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rethardus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Rethardus. I'll try to remember it for the next time
    It was really fun, so I'll probably make something similar in the not so distant future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bear Berry. It's the literal translation to the Norwegian word for blackberry.
    My job requires me to learn illustrator, so here is an attempt I feel happy with (for the moment).

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dino Cheese Party

This is a project I started for the cg challenge at CG society (topic being Dreamscape), that I later abandoned. I started working on it again, but I'd like some opinions before I go too far.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Worked a little more on it
    Don't worry, I'll make a pot-bellied dino version. I realize that not everyone understands it's part of the anatomy, and that also Tyrannosaurus girls looked that way.
    Thinking about how stylized I want the girl. I want her to look correct none the less, just not necessarily realistic (as I'm not yet skilled enough for that in realism, and feel like I've worked on this more than I should have already)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there

Fun image. There's something about a T. Rex in a tophat...

I think you're off to a good start, I just have a few thoughts on the composition. First off, I feel like the monkey is a really strong pull on the eye, with its strong silhouette, and its so close to the edge of the image. I'm not sure I have any good suggestions, other than trying to move it slightly into the picture. The fact that it pulls might not be such a bad thing, since the tree bends inwards and leads the eye back to the center. But then I think I would place the birds differently, to help bridge the gap between the tree and the dino. Here's a picture showing what I mean:

I'm not sure if that messes up the story or what, but I feel the birds are very cramped between the dino and the girl.

The second thing is to maybe have the dino tail stay within the frame and not let it go out and in like it does. And finally it might be worth considering filling in that blank space in the background to the left, it feels sort of empty.

Pre-emptive edit: Actually, now that I'm looking at my suggestion, it almost feels like the composition skips the girl entirely... But I feel sort of the same way in the original. The dino is very big and overpowering next to that little girl. Which one is the focus of the image? Have you considered changing the viewpoint to balance the visibility of the two?

Alright, I hope that wasn't too much at once I like the idea of the picture. Waiting to see where it goes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Hai's post, the composition feels just a bit imbalanced at the moment. But as far as style goes, it's a great start and definitely feels like something that could be a part of children's books illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot!
    I don't fully understand the rules of composition, and find it really difficult to learn, so I really appreciate feedback on it. I still really want to learn it though. The birds are there mostly to enforce the peaceful setting. Same with the bunnies.
    I haven't really tough of the role of the girl, but she is part of it.
    The story is actually insanely weak.. The girl has been invited to a cheese party by Dr. T. Rex. The monkey was not invited and is jealously observing (that is why she is wearing a green dress and is kind of hidden in plain sight). It's inspired by a dream I had once :p.
    Having the tail stay in the piece? I like that and I will do
    I agree on the empty area too. No idea what to put there though.
    Changing the viewpoint? No, haven't considered that. Rex is the main character in the piece, but the girl should not be ignored. It won't help if I change the color of her dress right? Hmm. It will be like starting all over. Might finish off some other projects first. But I would still like some more feedback on this though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think composition is one of those things that seem really hard (and is) until you reach a certain point and sort of "get it". I'm not sure what the best way to learn it is. I guess you have to read some theoretical principles and then just experience pictures that do it well and pictures that do it poorly. A couple of "rules" that I keep in mind are : a) don't place your main element in the center of the image, but not too close to the edge either (ca. golden ratio), and b) make sure the elements in the picture don't lead the eye outside the frame (i.e. don't put the monkey too close to the edge, don't let the tail go out and in of the image, etc...). I just try to look at the picture with "fresh" eyes and try to notice where my attention is being grabbed, how my eyes travel across the picture, that sort of thing. If I notice my eyes trailing off to the edge of the image, I'll put something there to bounce the eyes back in, or change something so it doesn't happen.

Possibly a different viewpoint would work better, but honestly, if you don't like the idea of redoing it, just finish it like it is and move on. It's still a nice picture, and you can take what you learn from it with you to your next project. Oh, and: to avoid getting into compositional problems after starting to render, it's a good idea to do small thumbnails of possible compositions before starting the final image.

As for what I would do, beside the tail and the birds, is to at least move the monkey further into the picture, letting more of the tree trunk pad the edge. Or, alternatively, you could let the tree run out of the image (or let it be as it is), and move the monkey down to where the bush or grassy thing is now, bottom left.

Maybe you could indicate a forest off in the distance in the empty space. Also, it could be easier to see the large bunny if it was moved a little down, away from the rock. Perhaps the contrast against the grass would help it stand out a bit.

So, finishing this off to avoid wall-of-text-syndrome. It's a fun painting and I hope you finish it, changes or not

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided to start the Rex image over . I was considering working on it, but just couldn't see were to take it. I mean seriously - that is not going to work that way. I have an idea for an angle that might work that puts an emphasis on the size of the dinosaur. I'm going to "place the camera" behind the girl so we see the back of her, and looking up at the massive size of the dinosaur maybe hiding the ape behind him in some plants
    I guess I just needed a little break.

Anyhow, this is a dog I just drew.

I tried to consider the depth a bit more than the fat cat. Don't feel like I got it yet, but it did get better than the cat, right? (Know how you notice a lot of things that are wrong just when you're about to post it? I also notice her eyes are a little asymmetric)
    Didn't really think about the anatomy of the little bulldog, so it's most probably incredibly off. Just ignore that for now, but I would like comments. Mostly on the depth and the choice of colours.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time looking at your work.

I like your work. It makes me happy looking at them.
    I actually like the cat as is.

You could probably darken the creases or the shadow parts of the limbs on the bulldog so they pop more but other than that it's really cute as is.

For contrast, use luminosity layer (painting with black, white, grey whatever) over your color so you get contrast without killing your color/hues. That or use adjustment layer and paint on the mask.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New one I'm working on

A big beast and a little fairy playing a game of chess. Rough light and shadow sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite parts are the facial expressions on the cat and dog and the the whole look of the bear berry. Bear berry is subtle, clean, confident, perfect.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update.
    Considering abandoning it though. It is kind of boring.
    Also considering changing the chessboard to something else. Tea or another boardgame of sorts.. I don't know. I'll most probably just abandon it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lady Medusa,

You have a wonderful imagination. Really like that T-rex tea party sketch, although its not fair to call it a sketch given the time that seems to have been invested in it

There is something about the stomach and rear leg of your green horny lizard. Perhaps he ate too many faeries, his stomach is very round in its form because of the shading. The highlight on his stomach seems to emphasize this slightly exaggerated round shape.
    To enforce this "too big to move" look his rear legs are shaped like bananas(intentional? If not, you might have to re-evaluate his bone structure hehe), almost as if he uses his front legs to drag his body along the ground. Very cute, despite the pointy teeth, horns and lizard eyes.

Love your ideas, please keep them coming

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a wonderful imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks
    Banana feet? hehe, not exactly intentional, but I do want the monster to be fat.

Anyhow. I am back to basic.
    Here is a regular cup of coffee I drew from life.

I know I should do this traditionally, rather than digitally, but I didn't have any paper available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cute style !^^
    don't forget to flip the images to find eventual mistakes

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slow Ride

This little forest fairy broke his little wing, and is too lazy to walk home. Guess he chose the wrong creature to take him home.

This is actually an old doodle I had abandoned, but I finished it for a contest on deviantart, topic being fantasy. I don't think I'll win, but it was fun. Even though the anatomy here is beyond off :/
    Edit: same goes for values and composition.. Oww

Last edited by Lady Medusa; June 17th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cutting onion

An onion cutting himself.
    I found this old doodle and decided to practice my illustrator skills
    Texture added in Photoshop though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a fan of children book illustrations, so cute stuff is great. I like your illustrator pieces. They're very clean and simple, but convey the right amount of information.

The "slow ride" image is cute, but right now the colors are rather dull. Everything in the image looks to have around the same level of saturation, so nothing particularly stands out. Give some saturation to the Grump and his snail, and it'll help them stand out more, since they're currently getting lost. The shadow colors just look like darker versions of main colors. Warm lights cast cool shadow, and vice versa. If you change the hue it will also help give it more life.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Syre and Izi
    Warm lights cast cold shadows, cold light casts warm shadows. I'll try to keep that in mind .

I give you moooar!

Banana Life

Photoshop

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rofl!!!!!

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings makes me happy. Dino Party, Onion and bananas are so cute!!!!!! I think composition and anatomy is very useful things to know but your pretty style is boss here))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to make you happy Buny .

One of the projects I'm currently working on.
    Medusa - WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff; #11 is my favorite !

I draw on paper I stole from school.

sketchbook | deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you

I finished the Medusa. Crits are very welcome!
    Tried to pose her arms like the hood on a cobra when it gets ready to strike.
    Trying secondary light. Primary lights should probably have been more defined, and her face is just wonky..

Medusa

I have also started really working on perspective. These are just for exercise. Not making anything proper with them, but its important that I do it non the less.
    1 Point Perspective

2 Point Bridge

Yes. I know. The columns on the bridge are embarrassingly sloppy, and so are the "people", but as I said, just for exercise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6