Sketchbook: Valentina D'Este's mostly cute stuff - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Valentina D'Este's mostly cute stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of you may have noticed how my work don't really have backgrounds, and when it does its usually in a bird view. I wanted to try a different perspective. Now that I'm slowly starting with construction. I find that a little "easier". Still not sure if I'm doing it correctly at horizon. The pigs legs and the wheels? The house in the foreground? Mmh :/
    The composition is of course way off, but I'm really focusing on the construction now. Still want feedback on it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured out why the wheels looked wrong. I did a real noob error of somehow thinking an object couldn't go on both sides of the horizon. What the hell? No idea why I was thinking that. But I fixed it, and now I know. I'm definitely getting a little more comfortable with construction though

Edit:
    Little update:

Last edited by Lady Medusa; January 30th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work! I especially like the last perspective piece your working on! It actually gave me some nice inspiration for my own struggle with perspective!

I think your art would be awesome for maybe childrens books or illustrations! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you
    Today's update:

I'm pleased with the house in the back but I can see I need to rework the wall again. At least work in some proper contrasts.

Edit:
    Today's update:

Well, I didn't finish it as I had hoped. Something came up.
    Not all sure about the color choices. Particularly the pistachio guy's colors.
    Not all to happy with the pig either.

Last edited by Lady Medusa; February 1st, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update

Still in doubt about the pistachio guy's clothes, and a little in doubt about about this project itself.
    I have learned a little at least or so I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lady,

Don't be in doubt - this looks like a good start. I see several areas that could be improved without too much trouble.

The main things hurting this project are all the boxy razor-sharp edges on the major details (you could add some curves and details to make the silhouette more complex), the roof of the house on the left going to completely different vanishing point than the base (makes the building appear "twisted"), the open horizon (you could add some background clutter), and the right vanishing point being way too close for the cart (doesn't match the vanishing point for the ends of the wall) causing its roof to appear sloped.

Having line-work characters on line-less backgrounds can work (eg. Studio Ghibli's animation) though as of right now I'd say it isn't working. I'm having a hard time thinking of how it could be improved, other than using lighter colors.

Hope this helps!

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!
    I am going to work the lines off them. Just figuring how to do it nicely :p
    A lighter wagon could work, and maybe lighter clothes.
    Razor sharp edges hmm. That's probably because I use the shift key to make straight lines right? Making them less organic. Will practice on making straight lines without rulers or the shift key .
    Will try to add background clutter too.
    Don't be offended if I don't do this straight away. Got a few other projects as well (I tend to start a few projects when I start doubting one. Bad habit I know)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, and you're on the right path to using correct perspective in your illustrations. I've pointed out a few things here which don't work in this illustration, but mainly these are things that will be fixed naturally as you get more comfortable with constructions and perspective drawing. Keep at it, because these fundamentals are the absolute most important thing you'll study. As a side note, I've started a perspective thread with a few others on here and welcome you or anyone else who's interested to join up and study this stuff along with us.

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah. It started as a simple "Hey, lets try frogs view perspective. Oh Lets make that box a wagon"
    And I didn't at all think about his legs when making the man inside the wagon. Another big note for the future :p

Might seem like a dumb question but, new view-point for the fence? Aren't you supposed to just stick to the same 2 or 3? I overheard some art-students saying that ages ago, didn't really make much sense, but some rules are weird I figured. I'm still new to construction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa View Post
    Might seem like a dumb question but, new view-point for the fence? Aren't you supposed to just stick to the same 2 or 3?
    MrFrenik has mostly good advice but is partially in error: since the wall and the wagon have the same orientation, they should share the same vanishing points. Parallel lines (in the virtual space) always have the same vanishing point.

Last edited by SmallPoly; February 26th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    MrFrenik has mostly good advice but is partially in error: since the wall and the wagon have the same orientation, they should share the same vanishing points. Parallel lines (in the virtual space) always have the same vanishing point.

Attachment 1728308
    This is true, however they haven't been drawn that way in Lady Medusa's original illustration. Following the lines back to the horizon shows this. So if the orientation of the two objects were the same, then yes, the lines would be parallel and would recede back to the same point. Instead there are different points, which sorta answers Medusa's question about multiple vp's. In any scene, there could be numerous amounts of vp's, all depending on the orientation of your objects. However, it's most likely that the orientation was intended to be the same in the image, so SmallPoly is right about the lines receding in parallel and this should be corrected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I lost motivation for that project. Sorry about that, but honestly, there was nothing interesting about it.

I finally made some art again !
    They're not masterpieces, but I haven't drawn in months and this gave me some kind of kick, so yeah :p

I made the main ghosts from A Christmas Carol. I love that story !
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Wanted to make it more waxy and candle-like.

Ghost of Christmas Present

Trying different materials He's bigger than the other two, and he's jolly.

Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

He doesn't speak, so he doesn't have a mouth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 6