Telepathy , telepathy is possible??? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 239

Thread: Telepathy , telepathy is possible???

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    As for whether or not Sheldrake's research is valid or not, this has very little to do with the refusal by Randi to accept the examination of the entry. Randi and Penn and Teller, besides being assholes, are not scientists. They have exactly no standing as leaders of science. They are entertainers who are not healthy for science, they make a big joke out of it.
    I rather dislike Randi's abrasiveness. However, when it comes to fields as thoroughly invaded by fraudsters as the paranormal, we absolutely need people like Randi (and Penn, Teller and Derren Brown) to help test claims. This is necessary because even the most brilliant of scientists are routinely fooled by stage magic tricks. I do not know of a single scientist of any standing who can explain to me how stage magicians like Derren Brown do what they do. For all the world it looks like they have supernatural powers.

    Now what happens if one of them claims that he does in fact have paranormal powers? Who tests his claims? Scientists are quite simply not qualified to do it, at least not on their own.

    For all his personal unpleasantness, Randi has done us a few big favours by debunking such shameless fraudsters as Uri Geller and Sylvia Browne.

    Not that I am always clear on why he bothers, because the victims of these people mostly just hate him for it. He might have had more success if he took a slightly kinder, gentler approach, like Carl Sagan did (although Sagan also got his own hate mail, especially after he made mincemeat of Velikovsky.)

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Olympia, WA USA
    Posts
    2,013
    Thanks
    1,867
    Thanked 487 Times in 326 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    I wanted you say you don't know how TK would work and you don't know how it fits in with real-world physics.
    My my, arn't we a little control freak. Sorry pal, mommy isn't here today....

    *tautology* would only be an appropriate word if I were in fact supporting the idea that telepathy existed - the fact is I don't give a shit, while you in fact seem to be pissing your pants over it.

    Who cares if "psychics" feelings are hurt? Your assumed hysteria about what I think or don't think about telepathy seems to be the root of this.

    Seems like you're projecting alot of other weirdass bullshit onto people you don't even know. I find psychics and their ilk rather annoying to tell the truth. That doesn't mean that it does not exist. It is bad science to make a statement of fact on a an issue that is up in the air.

    By necessity there are things in science that must be kept in what you so ineloquently call a "wishy washy" state.

    As well as this you are confusing theory with fact - available empirical data is the only thing that a theory must conform to. Theory isn't necessarily the best view of reality, and can be overwritten at any time.

    You're going on my ignore list s.ketch. There is no way we can come to a conclusive agreement nor would I ever consider you any kind of friend or wish to talk to you, your controlling and paranoid arguments (accusing me of calling you an anti semite!) are irrational and absurd. As it is I have neither the time nor patience for it.

    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,888
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You're going on my ignore list s.ketch...nor would I ever consider you any kind of friend or wish to talk to you
    Oh god, no!

    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Olympia, WA USA
    Posts
    2,013
    Thanks
    1,867
    Thanked 487 Times in 326 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I rather dislike Randi's abrasiveness. However, when it comes to fields as thoroughly invaded by fraudsters as the paranormal, we absolutely need people like Randi (and Penn, Teller and Derren Brown) to help test claims. This is necessary because even the most brilliant of scientists are routinely fooled by stage magic tricks. I do not know of a single scientist of any standing who can explain to me how stage magicians like Derren Brown do what they do. For all the world it looks like they have supernatural powers.

    Now what happens if one of them claims that he does in fact have paranormal powers? Who tests his claims? Scientists are quite simply not qualified to do it, at least not on their own.

    For all his personal unpleasantness, Randi has done us a few big favours by debunking such shameless fraudsters as Uri Geller and Sylvia Browne.

    Not that I am always clear on why he bothers, because the victims of these people mostly just hate him for it. He might have had more success if he took a slightly kinder, gentler approach, like Carl Sagan did (although Sagan also got his own hate mail, especially after he made mincemeat of Velikovsky.)
    I'm not buying it. Xst Sylvia Brown was a real creeper alright, so that's to his credit (although I have honestly no idea how it went down.) I think the science community insulates itself from quacks quite effectively on its own. They are entertainers, they're in it to make money off of sensationalism. That's never good for any industry. It's good for the entertainers, and it's bad for the frauds, but how is it good for science? No one is going to suddenly start admiring scientists more just because Miss Cleo is pointed out to every moron as a fraud.

    Then again I don't live these people's lives and I have no idea how to save anyone from ignorance...so perhaps they are good for somebody.

    Do you have any details on how he debunked Sylvia? I had read somewhere she just refused any contact and that was it?

    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    I'm not buying it. Xst Sylvia Brown was a real creeper alright, so that's to his credit (although I have honestly no idea how it went down.) I think the science community insulates itself from quacks quite effectively on its own. They are entertainers, they're in it to make money off of sensationalism. That's never good for any industry. It's good for the entertainers, and it's bad for the frauds, but how is it good for science? No one is going to suddenly start admiring scientists more just because Miss Cleo is pointed out to every moron as a fraud.

    Then again I don't live these people's lives and I have no idea how to save anyone from ignorance...so perhaps they are good for somebody.
    Some scientists have in fact been taken in by such fraudsters as Uri Geller. Scientists are humans and as subject to human weaknesses as anyone else. They are simply not well qualified to spot sleight of hand tricks, and if they want to test such claims, they absolutely need the assistance of people trained in such tricks.

    That said, most respectable scientists don't bother - they know full well that paranormal research tends to be a spectacularly unproductive field, and they usually have more interesting projects to pursue.

    As for being effective in insulating themselves from the quacks, that depends on the field. Some fields, like medical research, have been so effectively hijacked by quackery that they have almost returned to the middle ages. Same goes for many of the "softer" sciences like psychology and economics.

    Do you have any details on how he debunked Sylvia? I had read somewhere she just refused any contact and that was it?
    If memory serves, she publicly declared herself to be tested by him, but then backed down. He then put up a "Sylvia Browne clock" on his website that displayed how many days have passed since she agreed to be tested.

    Whether these enthusiastic debunkers achieve much is a good question. I doubt if they have ever managed to convince a single paranomal enthusiast of anything, and as I said before, I dislike their strident, hysterical tone so much that I nowadays pay them very little attention. I would much prefer it if skeptics were just that: skeptics, not debunkers, that simply made information available to whoever is interested, in a more or less neutral tone (although I can understand that it can be difficult to resist the temptation to poke fun, as Sagan did so masterfully when he took on Velikovsky.)

    I have found that the debunkers themselves are in any event every bit as likely to mindlessly follow fads as anyone else. For one thing, they seem to me to have a vastly overinflated opinion about the merits of conventional scientific research. E.g. some of the very worst medical quackery is nowadays committed by conventional doctors rather than your traditional quacks (in fairness, mostly unknowingly). The debunkers also often display an extremely naive trust that all human problems can be solved by science and technology. In some respects, they live in an elaborate fantasy world every bit as ridiculous as the one the paranormalists live in.

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

    Izi

  7. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York, NY, USA 10002
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 305 Times in 212 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Consider this, thoughts emit waves that can be detected with sufficient technology. Brain scanners can detect this and possibly make a "dictionary of thought". Once brain scanners are portable, we can carry it around (not that it will happen because of not just the technological issues but also the ethical issues). As far as projecting your thoughts is concerned, electromagnetic waves can stimulate certain parts of your brain. Canadian neuro-surgeon Wilder Penfield found that by stimulating parts of the brain, his patients began to hear voices and see ghostlike figures. So telepathy is not entirely impossible (in terms of now and until the end of time). Natural telepathy on the other hand is another story.

    Last edited by Vay; October 26th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
    My Sketchbook

    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

    Izi

  9. #37
    kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fallingwater
    Posts
    5,059
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Buck, buck, buck, buck...

    If you put a coin in the vending machine, whether you press A5 or D3, its still gonna be vending machine junk that comes out. You know what they say about constantly doing the same thing but expecting different results.

    At least Icarus tried!


    My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

    My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:


  11. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 103 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    Canadian neuro-surgeon Wilder Penfield found that by stimulating parts of the brain, his patients began to hear voices and see ghostlike figures. So telepathy is not entirely impossible (in terms of now and until the end of time). Natural telepathy on the other had is another story.
    We were shown a video of his experiments in a class a few years ago. Not only could they induce seeing vague things, but they were also able to stimulate the feeling of someone standing behind the test subject, or the feeling that someone else was in the room with them, as well as tunnels of light and feelings of peace or contentment. Some of the subjects described it the stereotypical near-death experience (seeing a tunnel of light, feeling content, hearing their names called, feeling someone guiding them), which is pretty interesting.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #39
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York, NY, USA 10002
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 305 Times in 212 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    We were shown a video of his experiments in a class a few years ago. Not only could they induce seeing vague things, but they were also able to stimulate the feeling of someone standing behind the test subject, or the feeling that someone else was in the room with them, as well as tunnels of light and feelings of peace or contentment. Some of the subjects described it the stereotypical near-death experience (seeing a tunnel of light, feeling content, hearing their names called, feeling someone guiding them), which is pretty interesting.
    That is why some theorists think such phenomena is the basis for religion.

    My Sketchbook

    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Haifa, Israel
    Posts
    3,847
    Thanks
    2,294
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    That is why some theorists think such phenomena is the basis for religion.
    Well, basis for mysticism in any case. Religion presumes a power hierarchy, priests, rituals and the like.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    casa bonita's
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    1,616
    Thanked 699 Times in 317 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    people are always like!.... Jesse why do you watch south park? and i get scared and ball myself up into a fetus position.....then i'm reminded that the evidence of absence is not absence of evidence....oh. wait that's that quote from the boondocks cartoon.....duhhh
    you see I am an escapist and i have no idea what that means. just becuase i don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't matter

    right now this thread is all about the argument or piont of view, on telepathy turned into tele kenesis or tele kenetic!
    that's on a platform of a screen and operating systems.carried over wired or wireless connections?(speaking of wireless have you ever held an adapter in your hand? it's like when your foot goes numb and a thousand needless are piercing your hand)
    (postscript kids please don't do that it most likely causes cancer)

    who'd a thunk it? One would argue that our Brains don't send signals too other brains!(like telepathy) My brain say's how do you know?

    i don't know. is the rite answer.

    for some have seen god and ghost's were i have not....
    the only time i will go on record reading or feeling one's mind is between my mother and i....either she knows or i know before one call's....we all have smart phones now! or can read the call number as it's ringing.....but just too hear the ring itself and know the caller that's telepathy! And my mother+family would have 1million! but we don't because it dosen't happen every time.......if it did we'd be x-men

    this thread is on the battle field of belief or non belief...which is something i personally lack....as in believe it or not. i realize both are possible but i don't care!! wich i guess forms the tri-fecta ...that which is here....... that which is there and that which is neither here... nor there....

    look here mates!!! telepathy(sending a signal) maybe far fetched too you and me. but telekinesis or telekinetic's we actually do it every day in small way's
    not to the sci-fi degree way of moving things with our mind.......trust me i try every fucking day of my sad life. but i have blown out candles with an open palm from at least three feet away.

    those who argue physics.... my heart beats
    those who speak of the mind.... when your dead you won't notice
    those who speak of the spirit....thank you sir may i have another!

    wow! i fucked that up!
    Even though there are no brain muscles........ our meta physical state(our random thought's, belief's, Questions!) That which has no mass or matter....... Shape the existense around us........shit!

    Last edited by j.s. sabastian; October 26th, 2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: ug me man briamage ball?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

    Izi

  16. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Haifa, Israel
    Posts
    3,847
    Thanks
    2,294
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Whoa, I want some of that stuff j.s. must have been smoking...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:


  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    "Telepathy is very much real, but is highly sensitive to the presence of skeptical observers trained in stage magic - in the presence of such observers, telepathic ability disappears."

    It would be an amusing irony if there was exactly this kind of observer reliant effect built into the physics.

    I have telekinesis and i have video to prove it:


    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 144 Times in 57 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0



    *Leaves thread*

    Last edited by OHI; October 26th, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OHI For This Useful Post:


  21. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    casa bonita's
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    1,616
    Thanked 699 Times in 317 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    haha

    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Whoa, I want some of that stuff j.s. must have been smoking...
    believe or not i grew up in a drug hard enviroment. so i don't smoke purple cush
    i don't like weed makes me paraniod i'm to lazy for meth, crank, crack,
    shrooms maybe.....E probably not
    i would like too (stupid and crazy as it sounds) like too try hair-on! that's not the way it's spelled but when i was in rehab this one cat pronounced it that way.
    before i die hell maybe that's how i'll die...... kinda makes ya wonder?

    no last night i was just normally bloating and drunk......off my ass.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kansas city, MO
    Posts
    1,167
    Thanks
    1,423
    Thanked 867 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Telekinesis is very real...Until James Randi gets a hold of it. What Hydrick says in the last 10 seconds of the second video is pure gold.



    Last edited by Jason Ross; October 27th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

    Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

    Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

    "Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:


  24. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0


    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

    Izi

  26. #48
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York, NY, USA 10002
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 305 Times in 212 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    That's why pseudo-science is big business.

    Here is a video of James Randi and his million dollar offer:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesam...feature=relmfu

    My Sketchbook

    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    2,536
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    When we communicate with language and gestures, we have to simplify our thoughts a lot, and we also require a whole bunch of complex meat machinery to pull it off. Communication has made the human species highly successful, so the costly investment was clearly worth it, despite this form of communication not being high fidelity telepathy.

    You'd think that, if telepathy was possible, nature would have surely taken advantage of it long ago. It would have been just amazingly handy. Just look at how handy we find language and mobile phones now. It's already a form of low fidelity telepathy, isn't it? We are able to target a person on the other side of the planet, and with almost the speed of light roughly convey what's on our mind.

    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:


  29. #50
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York, NY, USA 10002
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 305 Times in 212 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post

    You'd think that, if telepathy was possible, nature would have surely taken advantage of it long ago.
    The reason why there is no telepathy, why we can't see higher dimensions, or more frequencies of light is because there was no evolutionary pressure to evolve those traits. Today we have, what I believe is a primitive type of telepathy, which is prejudice. You calculate the percentage chance of your chair not breaking anytime, you assume it won't break when you sit on it, and you sit on it and it doesn't break. When we cut a driver off, we know they are most likely to be pissed off (classified as social and emotional intelligence). On another hand, quantum mechanics tells us we can never determine something to extreme accuracy, so we can only approximate. With that said, basically you can say common sense is a type of telepathy.

    And something that Kev mentioned that you should not expect different outcomes by doing the same thing over and over again, however there are still very tiny exception such as anomalies (vending machine is jammed) or such as the problem presented by Schrodinger's cat. An example would be that the chances of you being teleported to mars because of quantum anomalies, will take longer than the life span of our universe to initiate. Also, consider that Einsteins theories suggests that we can see into the future and travel to the future. In fact we can travel to the future today if we can travel around a body of massive gravitation (time slows down for astronauts in outer space).

    Last edited by Vay; October 28th, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
    My Sketchbook

    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    438
    Thanked 437 Times in 209 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    The reason why there is no telepathy, why we can't see higher dimensions, or more frequencies of light is because there was no evolutionary pressure to evolve those traits. Today we have, what I believe is a primitive type of telepathy, which is prejudice. You calculate the percentage chance of your chair not breaking anytime, you assume it won't break when you sit on it, and you sit on it and it doesn't break. When we cut a driver off, we know they are most likely to be pissed off (classified as social and emotional intelligence). On another hand, quantum mechanics tells us we can never determine something to extreme accuracy, so we can only approximate. With that said, basically you can say common sense is a type of telepathy. Which is like what Kev mentioned that you should not expect different outcomes by doing the same thing over and over again, however there are still very tiny exception such as anomalies or such as the problem presented by Schrodinger's cat. An example would be that the chances of you being teleported to mars because of quantum anomalies, will take longer than the life span of our universe to initiate.
    I actually don't think there's any need in bringing complex and oft misunderstood scientific principles to bear on something like telepathy - it seems to "validate" the topic rather than to reduce it to what it is: 100% garbage.

    I'm supremely content with, "If you believe in telewhatever, you're an idiot."

    Physorg's response to this very same idiot should tell you all:
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=538073

    Brendan Noeth

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:


  32. #52
    Elwell's Avatar
    Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    You'd think that, if telepathy was possible, nature would have surely taken advantage of it long ago.
    I think you have to be very careful equaiting utility with inevitability.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. #53
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New York, NY, USA 10002
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 305 Times in 212 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    I actually don't think there's any need in bringing complex and oft misunderstood scientific principles to bear on something like telepathy - it seems to "validate" the topic rather than to reduce it to what it is: 100% garbage.

    I'm supremely content with, "If you believe in telewhatever, you're an idiot."

    Physorg's response to this very same idiot should tell you all:
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=538073
    I am just trying to say you its not you either have telepathy or you don't. Neither am I trying to imply the existence of absolute telepathy. I am defending the possibilities of it, mostly through technology. Reality isn't as "black and white" as that something exists absolutely or it doesn't exist absolutely. But I assume the original post might be talking about absolute and complete natural telepathy today (which I am inclined to oppose), so I will just leave off with a quote by Max Planck:

    "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it" - Max Planck

    Even brilliant physicists are wrong sometimes, which is mostly due to their life long familiarities with what should happen and what should not, regardless of what is really possible. Einstein opposed the quantum theory, which he said was the greatest mistake in his life. Hawking opposed time travel, but ultimately couldn't disproof it, and now there is experimental data proving the ability to travel into the future. Teleportation and invisibility has been experimented with, which also had countless opposition in the past from the scientific community. But are teleportation and invisibility absolutely possible? Right now, no, as we can only teleport photons and make meta-materials invisible to select electromagnetic frequencies.

    Last edited by Vay; October 28th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
    My Sketchbook

    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    "You'd think that, if telepathy was possible, nature would have surely taken advantage of it long ago."

    When implanting wifi internet connections and the requisite interface architecture and software becomes commonplace it will have. Till then its telepathy by proxy via phones and skype.

    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. #55
    Randis's Avatar
    Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    bangkok/Berlin
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Your mom calls you a minute before you call her.

    Must be telepathy.

    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:


  37. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Some mum is about to call you, you turn your phone off.

    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  39. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    2,536
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You'd think that, if telepathy was possible, nature would have surely taken advantage of it long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I think you have to be very careful equaiting utility with inevitability.
    Yeah, I phrased that badly. Obviously I wasn't talking about about technologically powered telepathy (which actually may be inevitable), or some complex naturally evolved meat-machine wifi router network equivalent (might be difficult to pull off, but maybe there's some alien life form out there...). I was referring to the (seemingly common) idea that larger animals already are telepathic because it somehow comes cheaply with having a brain, but few individuals bother developing the ability further.

    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; October 29th, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:


  41. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Don't listen to a word written here, if you're tuned into the right frequency then telepathy is a reality i.e. Going above or below this reality, retardization there is common understanding or in the LSD mind communication is possible. A painting done in LSD mind is enlightened to the LSD mind and other people inside that thought will agree. It's all about what spiritual level you're on. And I'm on the top so I know what you're talking about

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  42. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    casa bonita's
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    1,616
    Thanked 699 Times in 317 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    Your mom calls you a minute before you call her.

    Must be telepathy.
    hey is yu making funs o fme?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  43. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    438
    Thanked 437 Times in 209 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by j.s. sabastian View Post
    hey is yu making funs o fme?
    I'm inclined to make fun of anyone who uses multiple periods instead of any commas whatsoever and fill in the reason for editing his post as "ug me man briamage ball?" Whatever you opinions may be (and I have no fucking clue what they are), they might be taken more seriously if you presented them as though you passed 2nd grade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    I am just trying to say you its not you either have telepathy or you don't. Neither am I trying to imply the existence of absolute telepathy. I am defending the possibilities of it, mostly through technology. Reality isn't as "black and white" as that something exists absolutely or it doesn't exist absolutely. But I assume the original post might be talking about absolute and complete natural telepathy today (which I am inclined to oppose), so I will just leave off with a quote by Max Planck:

    "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it" - Max Planck

    Even brilliant physicists are wrong sometimes, which is mostly due to their life long familiarities with what should happen and what should not, regardless of what is really possible. Einstein opposed the quantum theory, which he said was the greatest mistake in his life. Hawking opposed time travel, but ultimately couldn't disproof it, and now there is experimental data proving the ability to travel into the future. Teleportation and invisibility has been experimented with, which also had countless opposition in the past from the scientific community. But are teleportation and invisibility absolutely possible? Right now, no, as we can only teleport photons and make meta-materials invisible to select electromagnetic frequencies.
    Neither do I rule it out via technology. But these people don't have that technology, and I don't see the need in contemplating the possibilities and quoting famous scientists in respectable fields when dealing with liars, frauds, thieves and the gravely mentally ill.

    All I'm saying that it's dumb to engage these fairly sophisticated ideas against something like telepathy because it creates the illusion that they have a point worth refuting, a debate worth losing. They don't.

    But when you take them seriously as a proponent of science, then so will most people. But most people will not understand what the fuck you're talking about, and because this seems to be a legitimate debate (it's not) they'll think they have a choice to believe one side or the other as true.

    I really do think it's better to point and laugh at these people. It's important not to fear being proven wrong. Go out on a limb.

    PS. As far as I know, we've never teleported a photon. We've only teleported information with the help of quantum entanglement.

    Brendan Noeth

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •