is it possible to get back into practice?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

is it possible to get back into practice?

I haven't drawn like I should have for around 2 years now and haven't been drawing for maybe once in a while ad just sketches. however now recovering from depression I want to apply to art school and make a portfolio. I'm going to community college first and taking life drawing classes on weekends. Is it possible to get back into practice and continue to improve and make a good portfolio?

is the talent always there basically

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No.Once you stopped drawing for just a single day your talent will evaporate forever and never come back again. There is just no way training and practice can overcome this ever.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vapour For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Less "talent" and more "skill", honestly. Just start practicing, and you'll see the answer for yourself.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely. I've seen a few people here who stopped drawing for a while and picked it back up. I think Blackspot (one of the moderators) here stopped for over 20 years or so and then picked it back up. I read that a while ago so don't quote me on it.

I myself stopped drawing for 4 years and just got back into it 5 months ago and since being here, I'm learning more than I ever have. So, stick around.

Also, don't worry about talent...just practice religiously.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    Is it possible to get back into practice and continue to improve and make a good portfolio?
    Yes. I mean, you already have an advantage over someone who hasn't drawn at all, and people who haven't drawn at all obviously can learn to draw so yeah.
    However, depending on your skill level, how long it takes is a different thing.
    So you probably shouldn't expect to squeeze out a marvelous portfolio in a week.
    Of course this is hard to say because we can't see your art.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking now this was a rather lame question to ask...but I couldn't help but wonder if skill can be "forgotten" over time as in you kind of have a drawing acoma? I'm not sure how to explain my question or what I'm trying to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking now this was a rather lame question to ask...but I couldn't help but wonder if skill can be "forgotten" over time
    Maybe. But if you learned it once you can learn it again, right? Even if you slip down a slope you can just climb back up, and it should be easier now that you know it's not an impossible slope and you know at least one route that worked before. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that it's going to be instant. If you have expectations that are too high and it turns out to be a little more difficult then it's easy to get discouraged. So just keep an open mind and keep working.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bish0p2004 View Post
    Definitely. I've seen a few people here who stopped drawing for a while and picked it back up. I think Blackspot (one of the moderators) here stopped for over 20 years or so and then picked it back up. I read that a while ago so don't quote me on it.
    Yep, but it has taken a while to relearn line quality and seeing properly, which I'm just about beginning to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem young since your talking about college so there's plenty of time. However its like what Brad Rigney said in his video. It's not about "what do I do" to get better at art. It's more about "what am I willing to give up". Put down the bong, put down the controller, and start drawing. I made that choice when I was about 30. For me it was Poker.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That is such a strange question.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stop looking for excuses not to try.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lilac,

I have been where you are in a sense and I will tell you that, YES you can re-achieve anything you became rusty in. I will briefly tell my story: Years ago I wanted to be an Illustrator and due to many things, inherent depression as well as a crippling disbelief in my own abilities...well, I let that pass me by then and settled for something less. Now 13 years later at nearly 42, I am reclaiming what should have been mine before. I am just now in the re-beginning stages of training myself to be an Illustrator. Over the years I never let my Art go completely...taking sculpture and life drawing now and then but still sparsely.

In my absence from Art, here is what I learned. 1) The heart wants what the heart wants, I am more in love with Art than ever due to our estrangement.

2) Now I am in the best time of my life to know exactly what I want and let nothing and no one stand in the way.

3) *This one is really important* I don't need permission (and you don't either). What this means is this: For years I have suffered under the pressure of needing approval from 'someone', maybe it's a part of the depression or my OCD, dunno. I have struggled under so many questions "is it too late?" "am I too old?" "is it that or that...?" "can I this or that...?" "am I good enough?" etc., etc. BUT here's the answer to ALL of them...ready? The answer to all these questions and more is...what do you think? What do you think about your Art? What do you think about your timing? Where do you want to go from here?

This is the most freeing thing that I have discovered and that I love passing along: "it's just nobody else's damn business!" You see, I thought that I needed "permission" of sorts to be ok, I thought that someone who was in my chosen field had to "bless" my work or even my desire to do it...and God please forbid that they should say I am "too this" or "too that". ...I had to ask myself "who are "THEY"; and the remarkable thing is that once I asked that question "THEY" vanished. There is no establishment, no "salon" as in the very old days. Nope, not one single soul can tell me that "I can't"...except myself. And the same goes for you and ALL Artists on here and everywhere.

I know I am rambling, pardon me...this is just a subject that I am passionate about. And while I realize it is nice to have approval of our peers, it doesn't determine where I go from here nor IF I go from here.

So, go forth, make good art...become GREAT...but do it in your way, on your terms and for you; not for a market, not for applause, not because it suits someone else and not because someone tells you to or not to.

Artists have the power to make worlds...we at least owe it to ourselves to make our OWN world exactly what we want it to be. And if someone doesn't like my world (my Art) or they don't like that I am this age or not that...they can just go make their own world and keep out of mine.

Last edited by sir jon; October 15th, 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: misspelling and grammatical error

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sir jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vapour View Post
    No.Once you stopped drawing for just a single day your talent will evaporate forever and never come back again. There is just no way training and practice can overcome this ever.
    Just like riding a bicycle!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    It's more about "what am I willing to give up". Put down the bong
    Certain sacrifices must be made!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are recovering from clinical depression, be very sure that you can take the pressure of ongoing lessons. Perhaps it will be easier for you to practice for half a year on your own and get your strength back.

I killed an apprenticeship that meant a lot to me because I started working too soon and I relapsed under pressure.

Other than that - if the skill was yours, you can get it back. Just start working on it. I was an embroideress. In three years of severe illness where I could not touch a needle, did not forget how to work gold thread and how to place stitches. But after such a long abstinence, I needed to retrain my hand so that I could get the tip of the needle where it belonged on the first try. It was frustrating at first, but the re-learning curve is steep.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "is it possible to get back into practice?"

Shure. I do it 4-500 times a year...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Stop looking for excuses not to try.
    You're like Yoda, except without the object-subject-verb sentence structure.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...and Yoda doesn't have a beard...or a Number 4 Filbert...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    ...and Yoda doesn't have a beard...or a Number 4 Filbert...
    Number 4 Filbert? That's the secret, Kitteh? Hah! Knew you'd let the secret slip some day.

To the OP, I stopped drawing for a very long time, for various reasons... and I'm talking a very long time. It's like riding a bike; you may be a bit wobbly at first, and it takes a while and regular practice to get your confidence and balance back, but you can absolutely do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OF COURSE!!!! It gonna take a lot of time though. Just re-learning and practicing the fundermental.The fundermental is REALLy really important. Study other artist work. n DRAW,study,draw and DRAW some more. what are u still reading this for? DRAW NOW!! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing is just like running
    If you always run - you're probably in pretty good shape.
    If you used to run - It will suck at first, but your muscle memory is hiding in there and it will figure it out again.
    If you never ran- it's going to suck all over- but if your stubborn and keep at it you'll get there. You might never be an Olympian but you will finish the race.

If you always draw- it doesn't make sense not to.
    If you used to draw- you'll remember things you forgot along the way
    if you never draw- you just have to be stubborn and you'll finish the race some day

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything's possible !!

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking now this was a rather lame question to ask...but I couldn't help but wonder if skill can be "forgotten" over time as in you kind of have a drawing acoma? I'm not sure how to explain my question or what I'm trying to say.
    I'm inclined to say no. Even when I go through periods of slow-to-no art, I'm still taking in my surroundings and seeing them with an artistic eye. I find myself mentally mixing paints to match interesting colors I see outside, and I'll mentally critique art I see, etc.
    I surprised myself to find I've been improving even though my art's been slow. As long as you keep looking at the world like an artist, I don't think you will ever truly forget.

Members who have read this thread: 1