Sketchbook: muddy's mighty motivational master quest - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Have you drawn/laughed/smiled yet today?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course, silly sally!

85 69.11%
  • Not yet, but I shall!

17 13.82%
  • Nevaaahhrrrrr525235982fasflksafrawwhrgrrrhh!!

7 5.69%
  • ┌( ಠ‿ಠ)┘ hi

20 16.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Gun View Post
    I have 9 years on you. You win by being younger.

Oh how I yearn for my youth.

Plus, you paint & you have a style. Your sketchbook is off to a great start I hope to see more of your work Iristhevirus.
    Every artist develops at their own pace, and it can definitely be discouraging sometimes, there's always some younger genius out there haha, even for me xD But yeah, just keep up the practice! And bah I wanna play around with my style, I'm not satisfied with it. We all have our own critiques towards ourselves Anyway just don't give up!

And now here's some progress on what I'm working on right now to make this post more interesting for zee sketchbooke

Attached Images Attached Images    
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing progress. Will be waiting to see it finished.

"Hit You with So Many Rights, You Gonna Beg For A Left"

Check Out My Sketchbook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Gun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today's progress

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start for your sketchbook! I really like your style and you are taking a great direccion with digital in trying to nail the colors opaquely instead of relying on the brushe's opacitiy.

that last portrait is coming out great, gotta love the movie ;P keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey amigo, thanks for being so constant in my sketchbook lately! I really appreciate it~ Fist off, gotta say you get better and better with each post! Especially since those figure studies from reference on the last page, hope to see more observational stuff like that in the future. I really dig all your cute girls and outfit designs, it really pays off studying fashion design huh?? I like how slender and elongated you make your fashion croquis to be ( i always had a problem making mine tall enough) . I took a fashion course a year ago and was upset at how talentless all the actual fashion major students were, wish you coulda been in my class haha, would've made things a lot more fun~

No real critiques, things seem to be smoothing out quickly since you've done more in depth studies, just keep an eye on proportion (head and limbs especially) and you'll do great! Keep it up, can't wait for more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just because Skyrim has taken over my life, I'll reply with just text because I don't know when my next actual sketchbook material upload will be.. haha... oy vey.

-D_art-: Yeah! Color is something I really want to get better at, it's so obvious to me that I need to work on it because of studies and looking at my own art I'm glad you think I'm on the right track
    And yeah I love The Fifth Element Excellent movie.
    Thanks for your comment!
    AustenFM: I love your stuff and try to check out your sketchbook as much as I can! It's really inspiring, so different from what I normally do and so much more what I wish I did on a regular basis, so I'm so glad I found it
    But yeah thank you very very much for your comment! I'm glad you see the progression because I definitely have been trying to grasp everything about art in a different, more serious way than I have in the past. I totally feel your pain about making tall figures and talentless fashion students are for the most part, because there really aren't that many inspiring artistic types in my program at all... there are a few per semester, it's kinda bleh. My teachers keep showing us example projects from past students and they usually suck, except there's this one student I keep wishing was in my year because his work is amazing. Aaaaanyway long story short, yeah the load of people who are just kinda 'whatever' in the fashion industry is a part of the reason it really doesn't interest me anymore xD (does this paragraph even make any sense? lol)
    Also I realized I always made bodies with huge heads and inproportionate bodies so it was quite a stretch for me to make long bodies with smaller heads xD hehe.
    On the studies and observational stuff note, ahh yes I cannot wait to do more, this site has made me realize that I really need it, and I can feel it helping me every single time

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drew these for a school project, we had to create a collection of 6 outfits based on a movie and a specific style... I chose The Wizard of Oz and 50s styling and made some childrenswear shiznit outta that...
    The girl's face that looks like an alien will be fixed when I color them in... xD
    I added the reference used for the girls' bodies (I didn't trace it), they are mostly zara kidswear pictures and a couple of other various ones I googled.
    I'm proud of the clarity and realism I feel like I achieved in drawing these

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt weird completing these because they weren't so much digitally painted/drawn as created with techniques, I mean I drew the lines and all, but the coloring (besides the skin) is fabric scans that I made into patterns in photoshop so that the outfits would have the identical real fabric that I assigned to them. Then I used the pattern clone brush and dodged and burned o.o Then I rushed the skin... aaaanyways, in the end, I quite like them, actually.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awnn great clothes >_< and lovely hair style

also great rendering in #33 the rhythm of brush work is great xD

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

MY_SKETCHBOOK

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fernteixeira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty artwork You should color some of your scanned long-legged characters, they are very cool! You have nice lineart, like the girl with the harp - it is very hard to get nice lines in photoshop (oh god no!) but you do it! Your sb is fun to look at, thanks to you

PS - #21 is my favorite most likely!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wholewheat_keyboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update of what I've been up to... Mostly school, really swamped with fashion projects actually, I'm in my last semester so it's rough. I applied to the 3D animation and CGI program I wanted to get into, then got my portfolio ready for that and attended the drawing test. I was accepted!!! I'll be starting this fall and I'm so so so so so so so happy and thankful that I got in I've recently met a bunch of people in that program and it has been amazing.
    Sorry for the crappy pictures of drawings ahead, I don't have easy access to scanning so I don't enjoy doing it (so I don't do it xD), lol. :/
    Also, my first time doing two point perspective... uhhhh, it was... interesting. I hope to try again and learn to be better at such things...

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velociraptors

Last edited by the-muddy; July 4th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
    sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy
    nice new figures, the lines look neat and the anatomy looks solid.
    also happy birthday to your bf!!
    nice updates and keep at it.

the 5th element girl had some nice rendering too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff! i wouldnt feel shame about using technique, its what all the pros do wen they r lazy plus illusrators use many many techniques (too many for my liking) to produce higher quality work faster! keep it up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A study from a "Yes Man" movie still. Might finish it... probably won't xD
    I can't quite get their likeness... must practice. Also, the scenery and proportions were other challenges... colors, also. Well, let's just say the whole thing was difficult for me. That's why I like doing these

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitive a nice sketchbook. your digitals are really good. you should keep on drawing with the pencil a lot; doing anatomy and value studies.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lux_Aeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait... face is too short...
    I colorpicked from the photo, as opposed to the last study I did... I think it's okay because I still learned a lot about the colors and how they shift on the form...

sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to the-muddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works! I really like your character designs!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to look For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed some of your foot positionings are a bit askew. Also, a lot of your stuff like you said looks a little static, as well as a a little flat, I think you could help that by maybe experimenting with some more extreme lights and darks. I think that would add a lot to your work, but other wise I like your stuff and you can definitely see improvement as you go down

30. The Following User Says Thank You to blue7203 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some studies today
    I realized I constantly make faces shorter and fatter... and put the features in the wrong places.

Edit:

Thanks you guys for commenting!! Much appreciated! I will be dropping by your sketchbooks too, as soon as I'm able
    blue you are right about the feet, I just don't understand feet haha I really need help with that... And everything you said is perfect, and hopefully I improve on those things! I've been trying

Last edited by the-muddy; April 19th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to the-muddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn.. from the jim cary one till now your rendering is pretty awesome! i mean you're really good.
    I can see what you're saying about likenesses .. i can say zooey looks good.
    ...i wish i had tips on how to capture likenesses.... hmm. idk, probably just different observations, like zooming in and out and drawing subtle details particularly y'know?
    but seriously i have to say this is some top notch work, its looking really good. the self portrait shows that you have a lot of good soft edges but i think what would take your paintings to the next level would be getting those hard strokes more prominent.
    you've got nice soft areas, now balance the focals with some hard areas.
    like how this painting has nice hard areas. incorporate that into stuff more, don't lose the hardness in some areas.
    can't wait to see how you progress!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    months since my last update... I apologize! I am very floaty and get easily caught up and distracted. I do believe I've grown though, since I've been going to school, and in the past while I've had a lot of eye-opening art revelations haha. So much to do, so little time!

Also, yeah, I definitely have a fear of hard edges, along with many crucial things I've noticed... must break down these walls!

Here are some of the things I've produced since I last uploaded. Omitted are life drawing and some random sketching here and there, unfortunately.

Oh, I also made this, at school

Last edited by the-muddy; July 18th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
    sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some stuff from today, quick coyotes from a photo and a work in progress

Name:  coyotes.png
Views: 274
Size:  203.4 KBName:  fightchick2.png
Views: 268
Size:  322.0 KB

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not going to finish this, but worked on it a bit more

Name:  fightchick2s.png
Views: 261
Size:  340.6 KB

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today and yesterday

Name:  hawks.png
Views: 266
Size:  640.3 KBName:  hawk.png
Views: 257
Size:  883.8 KB

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. It's interesting to see people who are ahead of me in terms of ability, but are close enough that I see some similarities.

(BTW, I randomly noticed your last name in one of your class assignments above. Are you Romanian by any chance?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  muchasketh.png
Views: 259
Size:  178.1 KB

a quick Mucha sketch from reference...

diamandis: hahahaaha I had hoped nobody would notice the name xD I am in fact Romanian >.> why, are you? haha.
    And yeah that is an interesting thing
    thanks for your comment!

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah. I figured it was either that or some weird Greek name. Yeah, I'm Romanian too. Born there, moved to the States when I was young. Nu mai stiu prea mult din limba. And I'm sure that sentence has mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    diamandis: I don't think it has mistakes! Luckily most of it is intuitive to write by ear xD
    Nici eu nu mai stiu prea mult... my vocabulary is that of a kid or something, haha. Well I was born there too, family moved to Canada when I was young. Nice to meet you!

quick ten minute each seahorse studies... fascinating animulses o.o

Name:  seahorses.png
Views: 248
Size:  520.8 KB

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gil elvgren study based on this
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4djjopiKi7...ng_new-lg1.jpg
    took 2 hours and a half~
    he is so great.

Name:  elvgrenpinuporange.png
Views: 243
Size:  416.1 KB

sketchbook

44. The Following User Says Thank You to the-muddy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 295