Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Does Education Kill Creativity?

Well CA, waddya think?

EDIT: site isn't showing the video for some reason. hurm.
    Last edited by Elwell; October 13th, 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Fixing tags

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I unno, ask sir ken robinson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artsy Lunatic View Post
    Fixed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Education can kill creativity, but there's a world of difference between "can" and "does."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    The RSA video changed the subject entirely. Anything is possible when you don't know what is impossible. But seriously the more you can reference the more possibilities you are open to.

On the other hand

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsider_art

Interesting but not impressive
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    I wouldn't say it's education (in the sense of being taught by those with more experience) that dampens a person's creativity (or divergent thinking, as he says). I would say it has more to do with personal experience and a growing understanding of what society or the world's standards are for any given object, idea, thought process, etc etc.

Here is what I mean by this: I remember as a kid, when I played and used my imagination, just about any scenario was a good one. If I was a superhero and the bad guys were going to attack me with rakes, guns, and chocolate pudding pies, that seemed reasonable. (That's a little exaggerated but true nevertheless.) As I got older, I saw more movies, read more comic books, and learned more about how people in the world function. My ideas for what a bad guy could attack me with grew narrow. In this example, rakes would be unreasonable. Pudding pies would just be silly. People just don't do that kind of thing. Guns would be the only solution here.

So in the event of brainstorming, I feel like adults subconsciously rule things out that don't "fit" or that "seem silly." They might not intentionally rule them out, but it just doesn't occur to them. They've learned "how things work," and anything outside of those boundaries doesn't come so easily as it would to a child. The more ideas you have, even if they're absurd, the more divergent thoughts you'll come up with. So it makes sense that a child, (who hasn't learned that a bad guy would never fight a superhero with a pudding pie,) would have more divergent ideas than an adult who knows stuff like that just doesn't happen in our world.

In education (by way of teaching,) it's true that saying, "this will never work, don't try this, and stay away from that." could hinder divergent thinking. But teaching skills and saying, "This has been a tried and true method for doing such and such" is helpful because provides that foundation to build creative ideas. If you don't know how to sketch a head in 3-dimensions, then all the faces you can dream up in your imagination will never be realistically visualized on your paper. And on that note, I will post this link.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I don't think the point of the video was that education kills your creativity. The point of the video was that going to public school really isn't helping create creative people. But education, as in learning things to know more about the world around you, does not kill creativity.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Here's the full video from the original TED talk, it's roughly twice the length. And here's another.

Also, when he says 'I haven't come across an argument where you would lower them', in fact there is one and it's quite widely used in Queensland Schools. When kids fail, or get lower scores then they need for their desired field of study, they then take longer to regain that academic ground to get into the course that they want and that's less time that they're actually in the workforce contributing to the local economy. So when you lower the standards, more kids pass for less effort and get into the Jobs around town more quickly. They achieve the same thing by introducing more and more practical subjects that are dedicated to very specific industries that give them certificates and sometimes diploma's which achieves roughly the same thing, but doesn't give you a GPA/percentage/OP score.
    Last edited by Beeston; October 13th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can't see why it would.
    Maybe I'm being dense but I fail to see the connection between education and imagination/creativity.

Thanks
    I believe it can. It did for me. I don't think it does in general though. It might be better to say education without passion kills creativity.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by megaten View Post
    It might be better to say education without passion kills creativity.
    I think lack of passion tends to kill creativity anyway, education related or not...
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If anything, the stern structure of (most) art education fires up a willing and motivated student to be MORE creative to stand out amongst the crowd. At least in what I see from others, that's closer to the case.

Thanks

This is our education system. These are the kinds of people that are profiting from it:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/int...olar-disorder/

Education makes control freaks but not creative people.

Also, the teachings of Roland Young, who made the entire class, including myself, eat grass on our first day of art school. He was communicating to us how we are subservient to authority and took us outside of the classroom to this bed of grass. As we were talking, he told us “rip some grass off the ground.” We did. He then told us to “eat it.” No one budged. He then screamed “EAT IT” and all of us shoved the grass blades into our mouths. Roland taught us the necessity of concept……
    http://www.howdesign.com/design-crea...ung-creatives/

When all you're allowed to say is 'yes sir', 'no sir', 'I don't know sir'....you're no longer teaching.

By the way, Hogarth was one of those crazy types too:
    http://liheliso.com/buzz/archive/00000482.htm

Robert Beverly Hale clearly taught, most others are jerk offs waiting for a pay check.
    Last edited by NoSeRider; October 13th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Creativity has to do with the unknown, which flies in the face of educational structure. You have to be multidimensional and be able to digest contradictory modes of thought, and that takes time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast