Good 3D SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK CITY????
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Good 3D SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK CITY????

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good 3D SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK CITY????

Hello, I am looking for a good school in computer graphics/animation 3d in NY. Something like the Vancouver Film School but in NY, I look and look and dont seem to find anything, There is NYU with the CADA program is that any good? Parsons is more graphic design and not 3D, Pratt doesnt have a porfolio even with student work and School or visual arts porfolio on 3d kind of sucked, any ideas PLEASE? THANKS

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as I know, NYU only has a master's and certificate program for 3d animation. And to honest...I've seen the work coming out of there...and it looks like they're gonna need a few more years to get better. It seems to focus more on button pushing than actual art. I remember seeing a reel where a character was just gliding across a floor swinging his legs...

I think if you really want to go to school in NYC, then your best bet is SVA. Their computer art program is pretty new and I'm not really sure if they've got it all together yet. I've heard some opinions saying they don't push you enough during the last couple of years, hence the not-so-good reels. When I visited there, I saw this kid with amazing modeling skills so...things might have changed since then and we might start seeing good stuff coming from there.

If you really want to go to a top notch cg school, you'll probably have to go to Ringling/VFS/Gnomon/Calarts etc...The best advice I can give is...If you really want to go to a cg school, make sure you're going to one of the best. What's the point of spending upwards of 100k if you're not getting the best possible education out there? Try not to limit yourself to one city...there's great schools outside of NY.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes thanks, no I wont limit myself to the city, I just always waanted to live iin NY but I would rather go to a better school. VFS is actually one of my options I went there and everything, do you really think it is a good school? I am glad to hear you mention it is up there because I really liked it and I was not sure how great it was.
    Well i might to go NY and get my Graphic Design certificate and then West Coast or Canada for my 3D animation classes since they seem to have the best out there. I know they are both different but I like both careers. Plus I still have to get a good porfolio of basic art fundamentals that are probably very good in NY.
    thanks for your advice, I was thinking about NY schools until I saw the student work they showed and that is when I started having my doubts about going there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never been to VFS but, judging by the student reels coming out of there, I'd say it's a pretty good school. At least in my opinion, it seems better than SVA. It offers traditional animation and life drawing classes as a requirement which I think it a must when it comes to this field. It's a pretty intensive courseload, I think it's all packed into 48 weeks(not sure how long it's spread over though). The thing about this is...it might not be enough time to adequately learn the more advanced elements of CG and you'll probably have to spend lots more time making a reel to send off to companies. Or...maybe I'm just really really slow

Check out CG talk...there should be plenty of VFS reels on there. I think I remember a few of them getting displayed on the homepage a while back which is a pretty big honor.

Try to get some more opinions...there's plenty of that on CG talk. I think there's almost 100 threads that mention it. Good luck in your search and of course in getting in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everybody. Actually, i recently applied to some schools in NY, including SVA and Pratt for the animation program. So, you guys think ringling is better? do you think you can give me a little more info? i was accepted into ringling as well, but im having a LOT of trouble deciding which one ill go to. thanks.

Harr ye mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling's computer animation program is by far, the BEST in the entire United States. Just compare their student's work with other schools and it's no contest. If you got accepted and you have the money, I suggest that you go. SVA student portfolio is not that impressive now that I look at it, and Pratt doesn't even have one.

Congratulations, Zero, it's a fantastic school. Take advantage of this opportunity and don't waste your time there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks a lot for the advice Sula, im starting to lean towards ringling. btw, where are you going to school?

Harr ye mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to Rutgers University in New Jersey now and they have an art school at Rutgers called Mason Gross School of the Arts. I desperately want to transfer out of here and hopefully I can get into Ringling next year. Mason Gross is not where I want to be and I realized that a bit too late. It's almost as if they don't even stress traditional art. They like "installations" and things I would never consider art. I actually had a teacher there who said something like "If you don't have some kind of a vision or commentary to share with the world then you're in the wrong business, you have no right to call yourself an artist." I just wanted to go up there and say some not-so-nice things about that. Anyways...I'm ranting.

If you need more convincing about Ringling. take a look at the animation festival entries at SIGGRAPH. there were 3 entries from Ringling last year and 4 this year. They also consistently sweep the scholarship competitions from Rhythm & Hues nearly every year. They have guest speakers from people in the industry to make sure they are always up to date technologically. They have professors who also work in the field professionally. And they have a career services department that puts all other schools to shame. They work hard there to help you get a job and employers have said that they are very pleasant to work with. Some have even said that the career services department should be one of the major reasons to go to Ringling since their connections to the industry reach far and wide. If I were you, I wouldn't even hesitate to enroll.

Members who have read this thread: 1