Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

IOW #7 - Alien Invasion

IOW #7 - Alien Invasion

Illustration of the Week #7: Alien Invasion

This is a two week topic, make use of the extra time!

Topic
    This weeks topic is Alien Invasion. The illustration has to include some form of extraterrestrial life forms invading a planet inhabited by humans.
    Everything from super advanced high tech aliens to parasitic life forms are a go!
    You decide what you want to focus on in your illustration, UFO over New York? Alien point of view? Whatever, go for it.

This weeks requirements are as follows:
    - The picture must depict extraterrestrial life forms invading a human inhabited planet

Deadline
    The deadline is Sunday 23th of October, 23:59 GMT

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love it. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
    I have a question. Do the actual aliens have to be shown, or would UFOs be enough?
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Thanks

?

I guess there is no restrictions for what time period or "any" planet? Hmmmm A race of humans living on another planet evolved in an age of "Techno Magic" Attacked by Humans from Earth. Making earthlings the aliens.
    is that ok?
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 709 Posts
    I might participate in this one, a good oppurtunity to create some more creatures ;P
    I'm thinking some kind of giant insectoidal bugs things with frikkin lasers on their frikkin heads, y'know something more savage as opposed to the stereotypical spaceships and blaster guns and probing....ooohh this topic has soo much potential it's not even funny...hopefully I'll finish this one, though with a two week deadline it seems more likely...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    I made some thumbs thinking about the overall composition... XD
    I like number 3 and 6
    Please, help me get better! SKETCHBOOK

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" - Neil Armstrong

Thanks
    Zombie_chinchilla actual aliens need not be shown, as long as the viewer is able to discern an alien invasion, everything is fine.

Obacmar that is perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Decided to go for a medieval theme with classic 50's saucer ships.

Not sure how far I can take this, but I'll see whether it's too complicated or not The alien dropping down has just fired at knight A (the one with the funky pose) with some sort of energy weapon, which will be lovingly shown with his tabard catching fire/glowing behind him whilst knight B is looking on at his burning comrade!

@tamirespp

I think I like number 3 the best, the whole looking up in awe at the aliens thing is very eye-catching.

Thanks
    Thumbnail sketch
    Sci-fi is not my forte, but try

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zinph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    tamirespp I really like the potential of 6, with the contrast between landscape and mechanical elements. Also interesting how you could show scale and drama.

Zinph All sharp, clear concepts but I think 4 is most exciting, kinda independence day, when the ship flys over Washington. Great composition and perspective.

I hope to participate this week... will try something over the weekend.
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zinph View Post
    Thumbnail sketch
    Sci-fi is not my forte, but try
    I love the last one, clear concept.

Thanks
    Thank Dayle & Rgeorge

Sketch focus on charater.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zinph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zinph View Post
    Thank Dayle & Rgeorge

Sketch focus on charater.
    Wow, how do you do it? The drawing is rough and yet I get a clear idea of what you have in mind. I really need to rush back practice more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge View Post
    Wow, how do you do it? The drawing is rough and yet I get a clear idea of what you have in mind. I really need to rush back practice more!

@rgeorge: ( If you are using photoshop ,) initially start with a lower resolution smaller image , zoom out , make a new layer called "thumbnail" , paint with larger brush sizes at first , using grayscale helps sometimes as then you clearly think about the foreground ( darker grays and whiter-whites ) , the mid-ground (medium range of grays ) and background ( usually least range ) . At this phase you should think about the composition, the perspective from the observation point , lighting and composition , maybe use the golden thirds rule etc. and think about the focus(es) of the illustration ; in attempts to try to convey a story .
    Now as you get on with making it clearer in your head , you should start detailing and polishing the piece up . A usual technique is that the brush size gets smaller near the focal point(s) of the painting as more detail is usually required there . With me , as i reduce the brush size, i also tend to increase the size of the image using "image size ..." . I usually start a canvas with its original print size that i want but at a very low DPI (to begin the thumbnailing with ) , then as i want the image to grow in size , i keep increasing the DPI of the image at every step through the "image size.." option. Even the hardness of my brush becomes more as i get to smaller brush sizes , that tends to bring sharpness towards the focal point(s) . Color can be added and manipulated easily in photoshop during any phase of the painting . i usually do that after i have decided on all light sources and made basic shadows also .
    I found this method really good to begin with , and then once comfortable with this , it was easier to grasp fundamentals of art and to apply those while experimenting away with various brush tweaks and filters etc. there are many people who have their own ways of using the softwares as well
    Just trying to help though , please feel free to disregard this long rant or criticise my take on it ..
    peace

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vibhas_virwani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time Vibhas. As you can see form my earlier progs they have a tendency to be scattered and disorganized before I get where I want to be. I just wish I had smoother prog work, so I admire that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast