The Massive Etsy Art Theft Problem

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The Massive Etsy Art Theft Problem

I'm really frustrated that Etsy doesn't respond to reports as well as Ebay does. I feel like if nothing is done these art theft incidents will just snowball. I have reported this person twice now over a year and nothing is done. There are many of these people on Etsy and it really makes the place feel like a fleamarket or something instead of an artist haven.

I just need your help in identifying the artist of this Boddhisattva painting probably depicting Quan Yin that the thief has mislabelled the "Goddess" Vishnu

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58562217...dmade&ga_facet

If you see anything else in the 3,000+ items she is selling besides the Hollywood ripoffs maybe you could put a link here to the artist or notify them. I see a lot of stuff I recognize from having browsed artists before (especially pagan artists) I don't know how to fight this.

I have already put this on The Kitchen as well btw.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    That piece looks like it could be public domain. I'm guessing that's what this vendor does. All the rest look like the copyrights vanished into the ether. It's pretty obvious he's not taking credit, but he's not giving credit either. I'm betting he got it from an image bank.

Thanks

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iridyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    $7.50 USD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    That piece looks like it could be public domain. I'm guessing that's what this vendor does. All the rest look like the copyrights vanished into the ether. It's pretty obvious he's not taking credit, but he's not giving credit either. I'm betting he got it from an image bank.
    No it's not clear. This is a very distinct contemporary realist piece, it has none of the hallmarks of East Asian art older than 20 years. Copyrights don't "vanish into the ether" either the artist gives permission or they do not. The only think that would make it ""look like it could be public domain" is if there was a statement from the artist saying it was!

Edwards Scissorhands and American Mcgee's Alice are not public domain, both of which are featured in her "crafts". These items are basically base metal crap you buy bulk and glue shit to - nothing people would ever buy without the art theft component. I live near one of the biggest craft suppliers in the country and they have aisles and aisles of ready-made jewelry and accessories you can mod with your applique. You can't sell a .50 pillbox for 900% markup without glueing good art to it.

Thank you so much Iridyse. I will write him.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.