Graphics card for rendering?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Graphics card for rendering?

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graphics card for rendering?

I want to do 3d animation/3d rendering and I heard that i need a certain GPU for it in order for it to render quickly. But I also heard that CPU/RAM is all that really matters. So is it really necessary to get these professional Video cards? Cause to be hooonest I would like to play games on my computer as well

also anyone know any fairly good monitors? That are good with colours? 2 MS would be nice.

Last edited by My57; October 9th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're probably talking about stuff like the Quadro: http://www.nvidia.com/object/workstation-solutions.html

They're really for companies who need to churn out renders for their movies.

I heard programs like Maya may have GPU rendering, not sure if its built-in or a plugin.

Then there are standalone GPU renderers like Gelato: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato_(software)

If you want to play games, a consumer-level video card is enough, like a GeForce card.

Unless you're doing something complex like rendering a Lord of the Rings movie, it wouldn't take more than roughly a minute to render a typical scene on an average PC, so I wouldn't bother with workstation-level video cards at all.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.