Spartan Camp #199 - 50 gestures + Optional "Caricature Study" - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hand Solo

Hands x 11

Metalhead smoosh that lead dwn For drawing I prefer oil based pencil rather than lead graphite. Its real dark, erases, & scans well

Attached Images Attached Images
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I'll try picking one of those up, see if I like them. I'll also try using something other than my 3h lol. more stuff to come tonight.

My Sketchbook: Warning, it's image heavy. Twiggers "Learning to Draw" Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, how many stuff... I can't comment on everyone's works but here's some words from me:

samming: The middle colored girl pic has a very well done bottom part (I can't say it in another way, blame my English, not my dirty mind if it sounds funny), it shouts at me to look at and those buttocks deserves all the attention, nice strokes, nice colors, nice forms...
    Regarding the sketches... I like them all, I had no time to look at them very carefully though. Good job.

Talis: Welcome here! My monitor is too small to see well some of your stuff and those images don't have so much information that deserves such size anyway...
    How to get better? For now, just continue what you started, practice, study Loomis, maybe others too... It's too early to say what you should focus on or get rid of, studies are good for you now. And maybe life drawings, one can't start drawing from life too soon If a person is too hard, choose something simpler, it will be useful too.

ashess: You drew quite a lot nice baby drawings Drawing a lot was a good idea, they became better and better. I like #33 especially much, maybe I would name it "contemplation" and I so totally can't say my feelings and thoughts about it but it has impact. And #51 is totally funny.

MusicMetalHead: I know your pain, at least I knew... Well I copy/pasted/leveled every little thing I thought not bad enough to throw out I often thought drawing instead would be more useful...
    I can't comment your drawings, just keep practicing and coming here to show what you've got

Well I was kinda inactive last week too but it's a better quality inactivity, I feel great and have ideas, it's totally possible I will draw something in the near future...

I forgot to shot my pencil stuff, they will come later. I got busy in the last days, no optional, I feel bad about it, I will do it later, way after deadline.

Spartan Camp #199 - 50 gestures + Optional "Caricature Study"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A page of eyes. I made these a little darker, so it was easier to work with in photoshop. Might draw another page of something tonight, if I finish my homework in time, but I probably wont scan it until tomorrow, but who knows?

My Sketchbook: Warning, it's image heavy. Twiggers "Learning to Draw" Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MusicMetalHead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm Ashess sent me here, I saw the first post state the 50 to be done by the 16th? Shame I just got in V.V.

Is there a specific assignment right now cause it all looks like a crazy creative mess (in a good sense). So I'm just curious to know what to jump in as, doing an assignment or posting whatever is relevant?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    obacmar: ooh, your off to a running start again! really like 4&6.
    little maiden- yay! You're here; join the fun! Or the next week thing.
    shinIn: thank you! nice update from you too; really like that lined lady on page 1 (down middle); and of the frogs.
    MM- that's a good page of eyes!
    heres my hands.. not sure why those took so long.. mabe bc I threw away bodged attempts

Last edited by ashess; October 18th, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
    >>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Maiden View Post
    Hmm Ashess sent me here, I saw the first post state the 50 to be done by the 16th? Shame I just got in V.V.

Is there a specific assignment right now cause it all looks like a crazy creative mess (in a good sense). So I'm just curious to know what to jump in as, doing an assignment or posting whatever is relevant?
    I'm new here too. The assignment of the week(s) is always optional, and is not required for participation, although if you're curious, its caricatures this week. Really all you need to do is post drawings here, any kind, whether its just a bunch of 30 second gesture drawings or more in depth studies, and try to push yourself to 50. That's my understanding at least. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Obacmar, Nice shifts in viewpoint in your gestures. #5-10 in your first post are very successful in capturing the form. In your second post, a few of the gestures lose realistic form and don’t communicate the gesture as well, while others maintain it, either way, very interesting sketches.
    And yes I’m using PS, trying to get used to drawing with a tablet!

@Samming, The movement of tone in your greyscale nude is a great start. Have you tried doing 2, 3, or 5 tone studies to help you break up the values into light shapes before going on to rendering? It’s one of the many ways to get an cohesive value structure overall. The second figure in your colour studies is really rocking both colour and value. You’ve turned the form really well in the lower body. The gestures in your second post read very well, especially the last two. I think your most successful gestures are the ones where you’ve used the line economically to articulate the entire contour of the form (Like using only one line to represent the figure’s side from the shoulder to the leg)

@ashess, these quick sketches are very interesting, they capture the movement well. I’d be interested in seeing more like 4-6 where the form is better communicated. 31-38 are rocking form and are successful at suggesting anatomy and movement, even your use of different coloured pencils adds to the effect of movement.

And my stubby skeleton legs aren’t intentional at all haha. This is my first time using my tablet for gestures, still trying to get the hang of everything.

@Drygrass, I love the clean linework in these, especially 4 and 14 where you’ve captured the gesture, form, and foreshortening in a very believable fashion. The portrait also has beautiful linework, though it falls flat when dealing with values and the movement of tone across the face and neck.

@Dracken, Your smaller gestures are really successful at capturing the figure’s form and position. A lot of that movement and proportion that you’ve captured in the shorter sketches seems to be lost in your longer poses. I would suggest not worrying so much about the details of anatomy in gestures, (unless you’re doing an anatomy study specifically). In your figures 43-50, try to focus on the largest shapes of the form, versus small details like drawing each six pack. Having a correct gesture gives you the framework to fit the details into. Figures 48 and 45 are successful in that regard.

@Guardian G.I- Great start with the gestures. A helpful exercise may be to try and see how few lines you can use while still accurately capturing the movement of the figure. Often times, less is more.

Edit: Your second post is a lot cleaner, the minimal lines make the gestures more readable.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeanneMGardner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Obacmar: Thanks so much for the pixelovely site, it`s awesome and really really helpfull. Haven`t found the time to use it yet, but I definately will! Also really love the hands, they feel alive.

@ Ashes: Awesome kids!!!!

I`m glad I could find some time to seriously continue my anatomy studies, i`m sorry for my previous post, the sizes were huge of that one. I reduced them, however i`m really bad in technical stuff and photography so please forgive me for the really bad quality pictures. Hope it`s good enough!

Some Loomis, some life drawings and some "i don`t knows"

• File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.4 KB, 214 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (62.1 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.3 KB, 220 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (68.8 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (46.0 KB, 200 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (61.3 KB, 209 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (32.9 KB, 202 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (34.3 KB, 205 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (40.2 KB, 203 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (46.9 KB, 193 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (72.6 KB, 201 views)
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (30.5 KB, 192 views)
    • File Type: jpg 13.jpg (32.9 KB, 203 views)
    • File Type: jpg 14.jpg (33.0 KB, 189 views)
    If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so slow. Most of this stuff is from the time period of Spartan Camp #199, a lil bit happened before It wasn't easy to go back to drawing but I had more fun than usual. Michael Hampton, various references, some skeleton stickmen and faces are unrefd.
    I was lazy (and at least some of my vertebraes has some issues they couldn't solve yet so moving is a bit painful. a rare experience in my basically healthy life) so I shot the pages in my room and there wasn't much light. The new ones must be shocked seeing this ugly presentation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    50 out of 50 done.

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talis: Thats a pretty big volume of work there, I'm especially liking that second one, with the two black dudes. Loomis is the man, isn't he? Keep up those studies, they're sure to pay off.

shiNiN: You got a lot of stuff up too. I love that dancing skeleton. How long did you spend on those faces?

Guardian G.I.: Yay 50!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    50 1 minute gestures with some warm up 10second-30second gestures. Done mostly in one sitting . I know I should really do these paper and pencil style but i just find it so much more enjoyable in digital. *sigh*

Apologies for the huge size, smaller makes it all look worse. I was orignally working in a 1280x6000 canvas.

Challenge completed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shinin i love the froggies!

i know this is way past the 16th but who cares if i do twice as much in a week right i know i need the practice

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azimuth: Thanks! This week there will be donkeys I think
    Your gestures are recognizable, that's good. And you often included the feet... More will be even better. Feet are very important, we stand on them, after all I'd love to see more hands, just because they are quick sketches, they are part of the gesture and the more you practice them, the better.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden: Really nice fluid gestures, they really capture the pose very well.\

Azimuth: I agree with shiNiN, nice job on including the feet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    shinIn: did you have an accident or something? im sorry maybe I missed you telling. regardless, good work. like the lady's bust reaching up.
    LittleMaiden: ye! really like those swinging lines, espec those first bunch. would be nice to hold on to that with the more detailed studies I think.
    LeanneMGardner: thank you for your comment! are 4-6 more structured then most other drawings? haha. I do remember sort of thinking in depth shapes for a while then. didnt do that anymore lately.
    im hooked and finally had a day of so,...

and.. I think this one is actually not allowed here huh? ah, posting for the hell of it.
    (oh, I lost count )

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:)

serious activity in here!

Draken- those are some nice constructive gestures.
    shiNIN - dope faces
    Ashess - 10 11 12 & 13 @_@ incredible
    LittleMaiden - very nice gestures. Thx for ordering by time.

Last edited by Obacmar; October 19th, 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: more verbals
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Music metal head, i came in here after checking out your sketchbook, shamelessly stole the advice i saw there

shinin thanks for the feedback, this is my first round doing gestures so every bit helps!

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azimuth: Go ahead and steal the advice, its free after all .
    Ashess: Those hand gestures have a lot of rhythm to them. Nice work. The babies are lookin really nice too.
    Working on getting the head down in 3D. Lots of eyes doodled to take up more space, cuz I hate wasting paper. Also trying to work on my shading so a couple of crosshatch doodles. Cube method for heads does not work for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Azimuth
    Your gestures follow contours too much. I'm not exactly the master of gesture drawings, but from what I know is that you should try to "feel" the lines that make up the form. Sometimes it follows contour, sometimes it doesn't. It can start inside the neck and end on the outside of the foot. Villppu demonstrates it best.

@Ashess
    Nice gestures as always, though I think you swirl around too much sometimes

@MusicMetalHead
    You should try being more deliberate with your studies, rather than drawing a cube and putting a "head" inside it, try building it up slower and more deliberate, it takes alot longer but 1 deliberate study probably pays off more than trying to guess where everything goes. Like your eyes are coming out flat, the head isn't really "circular" nor is it a flat plane across the front. Starting at the corner of the eye it goes around the eyeball, flat to the side of the nose, up and around the nose, flat, around eyeball. Also the angle at which you're viewing an eye will change the way it looks. Its pretty complicated since it involves making parts look thicker and other parts look thinner and tbh i'm only just beginning to grasp it myself. Keep it up though it all falls into place eventually.

---------------

Longer extended poses.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; October 20th, 2011 at 06:30 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: nope, it just came out of the blue I almost healed then I pushed my bike into the hilltop when she had accumulator problems... but it got really worse after the car... though I barely did anything there... whatever.
    I can't comment your stuff now, sorry

MusicMetalHead: I use cubes (or lines) for perspective only, I never could construct heads with it... or with any other methods, I get my best results when I just draw the eyes first, it's quite annoying... Except when I draw skulls, they sometimes work for me.
    Maybe you can try to draw eye sockets first, not eyes, they give much information about the face, not just mere places for eyes... Skulls are awesome anyway, a photo (especially a very lit face of a young person) can hide the structure of the head but skulls are more honest.

I'm waiting for the new topic as a disciplined old participant and all my gestures are in my paper SB anyway, I will take care of them in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashes: Whoa, that`s some awesome drawing, there is alot of movement and feeling in your lines, I like them very much!

Musicmetalhead: Maybe try to do a study of the muscles that`s in the human head. I`m still not very good at it, but I recently did that (it`s in my previous post), and it gave me a much deeper understanding of why there are certain forms of the face on the surface. Somehow all the magical things that happened in faces turned into a more logical and understandable thing. But it still is friggin difficult!

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talis: Thanks. I'll try that out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.