Sketchbook: Gratify Some -- Astonish the Rest.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gratify Some -- Astonish the Rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Gratify Some -- Astonish the Rest.

Heyo.
    Needed a more serious place than deviantART to buckle down into.

Critique focuses? Right now I'm trying to fix my issues with:
    - Expressions
    - Gesture
    - Muscle Anatomy
    - Probably most anatomy in general
    - Perspective
    - Colouring/painting/shading.

I would love to critique back - as long as I can scour my mind with something to offer if you're that amazingly talented kind @_@

A little about me if that is necessary:
    Right now my main goal is to make it to becoming a kid drawing prodigy before I turn 18.... which of course, I'll be classed legally as the dreaded...
    "adult"
    I feel like I'm close with it but still lacking in many areas..
    Other than that, I wish to pursue a future career in being Creative/Art Director. Right now I'm studying Bachelor of Information Technology (with a more Business flavour to it) because that's the only university course my parents will invest in with me Philistines. I hope that one day after my 4 years study that I could do a degree in an art school to qualify better for this career path... Possibly Billy Blue Design College, located in my home country, Australia. (I hope I'm not missing something with my future here..)

I mostly work with the Digital medium. I contextually suck, primarily because most of my works in the past 3 years since I got my first graphics tab was fan art. Sorry. I'm getting out of that since I've been getting these... "ideas" :B

Thanks so much for dropping by!

(Below is a couple of my finished pics that I still sort of like lol)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by meysha; October 7th, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some practice sketches on portraits and heads, expressions, poses whatnot. Most characters are mine, and the minority of them are Homestuck characters. I can already see where I messed up on some of these... :X

And as for the neon-greeness of the last one, it was just to fool around in PS to make my sketches look less boring

Is it an issue to be this messy with my sketching? :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more sketches and shizz.
    Originals and some homestuck. Those characters get me drawing outfits I never would naturally think to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice artworks i like them have a strong lines.

keep it up

qlotzan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks qlotzan! My penciling does get a bit intense, yeah

-------------

Some movement work. Still sucking on the anatomy - however at least I'm picking up some of my issues at least 10 hours later? :/

Also just some sketches of some characters of my own imagination who I like to draw on the occasion. Whoopeeeeeeeee... They're basically all mythical creatures in my story and uhm.. I guess you don't need to know any more.

And yes sometimes I draw on the worst scrap paper you can find : D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got my new tablet! Bamboo Pen! Here's my first work on it. I wasnt sure which way round this picture looked best in, so for now its currently in reverse lol

I dont think I got much better from last time though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!
    Keep drawing and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! You seem to have a very anime inspired style which is cool, but to develop more you need to see how those eyes and cheeks really look like, with shadows coming form different directions and all. Try to draw the lower eyelid weaker or not at all for example. That always seems help. Cheers

Last edited by Axelga2112; November 6th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I totally fooled myself with anime I really and totally loathe it now.

But wow yeah! I really gotta work on painting the face better.. gosh I wish I read all this before I did these other pictures I did since... Thank you so much Axelga!

Anywho... working on trying to be more creative with poses and angles... mmmph :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so like 2 or 3 weeks ago I started studying horse anatomy more seriously for a character I've been working on.... she rides a robotic horse I took 3 references from Google to try and get the "rearing horse" look right. Not 100% confident on the anatomy and perspective on things, but I'd say I'd be like what... 80%? Either way, been needing to challenge myself....

Last edited by meysha; November 19th, 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: picture was stretching my page ._.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment! Nice work, btw Homestuck rocks my socks. I literally find small boulders in my socks every time I wear them while reading Homestuck. It's weird.

Really like the gestures in post 5! i THINK YOU'RE GOING ABOUT THE ANATOMY STUDIES WRONG. mOST PEPLE DRAW ISOLATED PARTS OF THE BODY OVER AND OVER AND OVER IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS UNTIL THE LOCATION , FORM, AND PROPORTION OF EVERY IMPORTANT MUSCLE OR MUSCLE GROUP IS (sorry, didn't realize caps were on) burned into their head for all eternity. Maybe even draw 100. Drawing quick sketches of figures hoping to get more accurate won't help you learn anatomy, especially if those figures are from imagination.
    Use photos, study Loomis, maybe get some good anatomy books on amazon if you have the money. here's a few good ones

Keep up the good work! and a random thought, you might want to move the link to your SB to the left of your signature, it's kind of hard to see if it's on the right side.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HS rocks for its entertainment/hard thinking values and also for me artistically, gives me something different to draw D;

To be frank, unlike what I should be doing, I haven't done a proper anatomy study. All I've done really was reference in mirror reflections, got my sister to pose for me etc.... Today's my day huh?
    But yeah, I hope I understand this correctly, but what you're saying I am doing wrong is that I am *not* teaching myself to memorise the like most people should?

Would love to order books on anatomy but I haven't gotten to earn money yet Since I've already been bookmarking links you've been recommending other's I'm gonna have to bookmark those too. Maybe in a few months time.

Yeah, as much as I increased the size of the link, putting it on the right still expresses my minor insecurities.. hide me D:

All in all - thanks for these solid crits!! Will do Draw 100 first up, got the time. (i admit I'm going to feel uncomfortable for the first 10 traces!! It goes against all! )
    thanks once again for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so nothing much as far really except yesterday was uninspired to do anything so I *tried* a bit of work with trying to get a good idea of how to paint skin with the tones as all. I'M SO SORRY IT HAD TO BE ANOTHER CANDY CORN HORN THING

From what I've read from a suggestion on here it goes like "SHADE WITH COOL COLOURS, HIGHLIGHT WITH WARM COLOURS and VICE VERSA" or something like to make it more lively and that's what I tried.. looks fairly good to me but ConceptAart might have something different to say? >: P

And the other is just a rough concept sketching of a character of my own. Fuck I love horns but I have hell trying to understand how to draw them properly on the head. Either way, there is a completed pic of her in the upper left which I did a while back. I kinda needed a behind view of her anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello meysha,

Some general issues you seem to be having with your figures:
    -Torsos seem too small or heads seem too large (not sure if this is a stylistic choice, but I'll assume not)
    -proportions tend to get off with your larger images (eg feet are too small)
    -features of the face tend to not coincide with skull structure

For the last point, I recommend googling some skull pictures to study from(I don't mean straight-up copying them though) so you can understand better where to place the facial features.

For the horse piece, the horse's torso looks uncomfortably twisted. Go with the profile view or 3/4 view, but don't go for both.

edit: removed images to avoid polluting OP's sketchbook

Last edited by fishysmell; December 4th, 2011 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh.... WOW!!! Holy shizz thank you fishysmell! Yeah, I never go by the "its my styleeee!" excuse, it's really sloppy hearing that from a beginner.. But yeah, looking at skulls, that totally confirms the previous critiquer's comment on how my faces being too anime derived and flat... Will work on this!

(When I get redlined I'm always going "oh shit.. oh shit.. oh shit..".... It's humbling I have to say )

In other news...... I have started the "Draw 100" series. I started out with noses since I really had no idea how those awkward things are supposed to work. I also did horses. My friend just gave me a horse figurine, had some pretty good muscle structure (i compared to some photos... looked good to ref from!).

Yes I know the last horse is messed up but I was s

may as well post the My Little Pony up too, though I read from now my confidence with painting will dip down for a little while now. Gonna keep truckin' on with them sketches for a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.