Other techniques instead of gamut masks?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Other techniques instead of gamut masks?

Are there any other techniques for limiting a pallet other than gamut masks?

I wish to compare various methods of restricting colours in a painting for my dissertation but im struggling to find other methods to do so.

I know old masters used to limit there pallets for various reasons but they could pretty much mix any colour out of the pigments they did have anyway, which isn't really the same as gamut masking, or really any use to me as it hasn't got the same effect so I would not be able to compare the two.

any idea's?

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,407 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A limited palette is one way and it is similar to gamut masking in that you force colors choices into a limited range of options. You can also key colors which is different than gamut masking because you are controlling color choices based on any aspect you choose; chroma, value, or the various types of combinations of hue, split. analogous, monochromatic, Double-Complementary, Triad etc.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, the various conventional notions of "colour harmony" (e.g. adding a colour like blue or grey to all the paints on your palette, split complementaries, etc) belong in this category because all in essence promote limiting the palette so as to not include all possible image colours.

Quote Originally Posted by NyeAlexandaFrayne View Post
    I know old masters ... could pretty much mix any colour out of the pigments they did have anyway ...
    Using a limited number of pigments, especially low-chroma pigments, does inevitably result in a limited gamut of image colours. Your statement refers to something different, and very important in relation to limited palettes: painters can take a limited gamut of image colours and, by carefully controlling colour relationships, create the impression of a much larger range of object colours.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    painters can take a limited gamut of image colours and, by carefully controlling colour relationships, create the impression of a much larger range of object colours.
    The first time I took a cool grey, opposed it with warm orangey colours and saw that cool grey turn into a fairly vivid blue my mind was blown..

Basic stuff I know, but when you see it actually work it really does fundamentally change the way you think about colour.

"Lightbulb" moment.

Last edited by Flake; October 7th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ - dpaint, Thank you! I shall look into them other techniques, really appreciate it!

@ - briggsy, Ok cheers, now that you say that it makes allot more sense to me! is that colour constancy? not sure if im right with that or not. haha. sorry my knowledge on this area isnt that great, hopfully doing a dissertation on it should help a lil Again i really appreciate your help!

@ - Flake, Yea, having only recently learned of such things im pretty excited to crack on and explore it allot more.

I really appreciate all the help! no doubt il be back haha

I will probably track my progress on my dissertation on here, post up research and what not and then hopefully it can help other people.

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can study the old masters techniques with this free tool... KGamut allows the user to visualize the gamut of a jpg, bmp or png image.
    http://cr10blog.blogspot.com/2013/02/kgamut.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can study the old masters techniques with this free tool... KGamut allows the user to visualize the gamut of a jpg, bmp or png image.
    http://cr10blog.blogspot.com/2013/02/kgamut.html

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.