Elf Queen UPDATE 12/1: revised face final - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elf Queen UPDATE 12/1: revised face final

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Would it be possible to share the reference you used for the face? I realize it might not be, but I'd rather not comment without seeing what you were working from.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say you've got too much brightness going on spread over the piece. The light in the blue fire and her dress are unnecessary for what you are trying to convey, I'd reduce it to at least half as much as you've got now.

I second Elwell's comment about the face ref, because I can't help but think that you're either observing something wrong or working too loosely from it (and guessing the rest). Something seems off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in insomniac mode so I thought I'd add a post in here.

Really liking the piece overall. Her knees look great and I like the ghoul's robe and how it falls now. Also liking how you toned down the flames to throw more focus onto the sword.

One thing I need to comment on though, is the queen's face. She doesn't look very pretty or seductive to me and thats a shame because you've got her sitting in a relaxed and seductive position. Her top lip is also bugging me. It looks like she's got it tucked in under her top teeth even though they're visible in her mouth. I think you could get round that issue by extending the shadow under her nose down further, following the contour of her top lip, and including a line of highlight along the top edge of the lip to bring it forward towards the viewer.

The photo Lhune posted is a good example, if a little harsh in the lighting compared to what you're doing. But I'd consider following that over your own ref because you're losing the feminity in your queen.

Anyway, I hope some of that made sense. A great piece overall and it's been inspiring and informative watching it progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really awesome progress on this piece man. Your commitment to it is what counts most. In order to make this one perfect you may have to step away from it for a few days, think about all the feedback you've gotten and then take it on again.

I really like the changes you've made to the fabric on the ghoul's arm, it's got a more dynamic shape to it. And the warm/cool contrast in this piece is looking looking. I like where you have chosen to focus your colors.

I have to agree on the criticisms on the face, the overall lightness of certain areas on the piece in addition to a few things that I've noticed. She has some epic cheekbones that make her face look more swollen than otherworldy/elvish. I also find her dress to still be too far in the lights. If this were a photo that whole area would be overexposed.

Some other things I noticed that I personally would work on is the detailing on her headpiece and the color of the ghoul's skin. The details on the headpiece can only be appreciated when zoomed in but from further away it draws a little too much attention to itself. Maybe design it at the level of detail that the golden bands on her dress are, more in the mid range. The ghoul's skin is the same as his mantle, grey, which kind of makes him look like a statue. I'd make his skin color different from his mantle. Something really grayish, like a grey green or grey red, so that it still blends with the mantle. These, of course, are just suggestions.

Rock on man! Piece is looking greater.

PS: I think its great that you're looking for so much feedback but at the end of the day it really is your call. You're going to get so many perspectives on what should and shouldn't be changed that it can get overwhelming. Just thought I'd throw this in here. Good luck!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arg that face again. Basically I'm working from a reference photo I took of myself, because I don't have access to any young women to take pictures of at the moment, and my google-fu does not seem to be strong enough to find any good ones on the internet aside from the one Lhune posted already. If anyone knows of any good ref or stock photos of women's faces with similar lighting please let me know- I can't seem to find one.

My face isn't really shaped like the elf's, so I think that's where most of my problems are coming from. I was hoping I'd be able just to take the lighting off from my face and adjust it to hers, but it doesn't seem to be working right now. And as Candra said she's also lost a bit of the femininity she had in the line drawings. I may have to convince my sister to come over sometime soon I can take pictures of her.

So yeah here's my face ref. Not exactly a beautiful elf queen lol-

Name:  faceref.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  93.6 KB

Is it possible that the lighting angle from below isn't the best option for this piece? Should I make the light spread more evenly across her face? I feel like the best thing to do now would be to take a photo of my sister, but I was wondering if there were other options as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're using a very manly reference for one of the most effeminate beings there are, of course things are going wrong.

What I recommend you do, that is if you can't get your sister to pose for you, is that you look up good, clear references of a woman's face, preferably from several different angles (there should be stocks of those). Study those intently and really try to understand the shape of the face, because there are many subtle differences between a woman's and a man's face, which you're mixing up right now. For example there's the prominent brow which is not very befitting for an elf lady, the strongly defined cheekbones and the high and wide hairline.

This is from memory alone so undoubtedly also flawed, but I think (or hope) it illustrates how to make her face more elegant.

->

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dwilliams here's a few pieces I found in deviantart's resources gallery - most definitely worth a look if you're lacking in models... if you have the time to browase through and find what you need:

http://fav.me/d1hr53v
    http://fav.me/d1o120g
    http://fav.me/d1hez85
    http://fav.me/dwz5xz
    http://fav.me/d1vm96d

And here's a quick paintover, inspired by lhune's above me and based on a couple of those refs above. Tried to keep the 'look' of the elf queen you have, but I really like the more ethereal look that Lhune has too.

Name:  elfqueenface.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  eldqueenfull.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  183.2 KB

Last edited by zephyri; November 27th, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really good responses here. Fortunately I was able to take a reference picture of my sister, so I'll have the redone face up soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dwilliams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eager to see the changes!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so here is the revised elf queen face. Her face is definitely more smoothed out looking than it was before. I also changed the color on the ghoul's arm to a slightly reddish gray. I might have a little bit more tweaking to do on the queen's face but this is pretty much where I'm at right now. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about the face currently. I also darkened the rest of the piece a bit to make the focal point more clear.

Name:  final.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  458.7 KB

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The piece looks amazing! Just one thing, does anyone's eyes drift off the page? The whole work guides my eyes to the sword hilt and arm, then drags me off to the right. Would you consider adding any more elements to the piece to help contain everything? If not, it still looks great as is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im new to this thread, i just wanted to jump in and say that its looking awesome, and every step has been an improvement, great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya D. Face looks good to me but it looked good to me all along. When you underlight someones face , it always looks very strange and harsh. Remember that seinfeld episode with the good light/bad light woman lol? So for me, it was ok if she didnt look smooth and beautiful. But smooth and beautiful will go over better with the masses. Good learning experience for all of us!

My eyes do not go off the page. Looks good to me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nitpick-> her lip could look a little more natural, nice pic tho.
    it seems youve already redone it upteen times now tho sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks awesome! You've come a long way with this one.

The only nitpicky thing I would add is some blue rim lighting (from the flames) on the ghoul and parts of his robe. The reason I say this is because I noticed her left hand has rim lighting on it (from the flames I presume) so it would only make sense if the ghoul did too.

Thats all really sticking it out for me.

Great job!

ART. MORE. NOW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After tweaking a few things a bit and adding some blue light to the ghoul's arm and part of his drapery, this is what I got. I think I'm pretty much done with this piece and move onto the next one, unless someone else finds something very wrong with it. Thanks again for the help everyone

Name:  final.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  466.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still think the blue lights as well as the tip of the sword could be reduced in brightness. Other than that you've improved this loads . Good job!

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Face looks awesome now.. and i think its great you've not gone too far from your original vision either, can happen when you start using ref more. Only teensy weensy nitpick I'd have now is that the ghoul's eyes potentially look a little 'pasted' on? If you could render them more as round objects that are glowing, it'll be a super subtle change, but they're really the only thing in the image that don't have the same sense of form that everything else does.... other than that I think this is a pretty stellar piece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really good now! Making those changes to the queen's face really helped. She looks great, with a kind Scarlett Johansson look about her lips. Also loving the ghoul's hands and the details in his robe and the effects of the fire and smoke.

You've invested a huge amount of work and dedication to this piece and it's one to be proud of for sure.

Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I suggest painting some soft light on the face around the cloaked bad guy ?
    If he is even supposed to have a face / skull. Maybe jst his eye socks, bidge of the nose, etc. Looks great btw ! Can see a lot of hours have been invested in it !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.