atmospheric perspective help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

atmospheric perspective help

I did this quick sketch of a guy in a sandstorm yet it doesn't feel or look right to me. My problem is the perspective of each of the characters due to the atmosphere. Also I'm totally lost as to how much blur (if any at all) i should use to 'distance' each of the characters from each other.

any suggestions on how dark or light each of the characters should be, or how blurred, or whether I should drop some cool colours in.

thanks for any help/suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty darn close. It almost immediately reads as a sand storm. Maybe just through in some grainy texture so that it reads a bit more like sand.

As far as atmosphere goes, I think it's really on the right track. What I think would help is moving the character more into the foreground. For the darks on him to be that dark, I think he needs to be closer. Because, the background characters read well with the atmospheric fog you've given them. Maybe give the one furthest back a little more of the yellow tent. And then maybe bring that second figure a little more into the middle ground.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The issue isn't about the atmospheric haze at all, it is the black falling shadow. Hazy condition like fog or sandstorm virtually eliminate falling shadows, making all lighting diffuse.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the good advice guys, I tried to do what both of you guys suggested. moving him closer, more yellow to the far character, dropping the intensity of the shadows and adding in flecks of sand.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Considering it's a sand storm, there's very little sand collected anywhere in the characters. Also seeing that the animals have their eyes and nostrils fully open looks pretty nasty, seeing how it's sand blowing in high speed. I mean I guess they have similar eyes like snakes, but seriously it's not like snakes casually stay in sand storms either.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the update, I think you've done a great job. As I've just noticed TinyBird has beaten me to the punch, but I also thought you should see sand on the character. I imagine the creature behind wincing a little like it's very uncomfortable. Maybe eyes looking more closed and it's head rotated counterclockwise just slightly so it looks like it's shielding itself more from the storm.

"If you're going through hell, keep going". Winston Churchill

sketchbook - matt makes art - inspiration tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello brucew……

Very nice piece of work. As I look at it from this point it could very well be considered a finished piece. I like it.

Now that being said, depending on where you want to go with this picture, I think there’s room to bring it up several levels of pizzazz or interest. First of all I think the b/g will work as is, but I would say that the foreground figure could use some detailing.

I worked for a paint construction company in my younger days, and used to sandblast metal structures. Although a sandstorm may not have the velocity as much as using sand to blast steel, the effects of wind blow sand particles are very devastating. I think instead of having the figures clothing all crisp and neat, with square cut angles, I’d kinda fray it up a bit. Add some wear and tear at the edges. Also a few smallish holes in the dark areas of his clothing may deliver a little more to the punch power of the work.

Like I said before, the picture is fine as is, and it works. Bringing it up to the next level would work with some detailing of the main character a bit…..tear him up, give him that rugged Medjay look.

Really cool idea.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Along with the previous comments I feel it is too yellow...and too saturated at that...as was stated earlier, all the sand blowing around would diffuse the sunlight and lower the contrast and saturation levels.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice piece! Only suggestion would be to address that weird wisp of sand theat runs all the way across the piece. Id angle it down to mimick the flow of the cape and taper it off to nothing before it runs off the page. Right now it just takes my eye clean across and out of the picture without leading me in.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pluto View Post
    I really like this idea. and I'm going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Also seeing that the animals have their eyes and nostrils fully open looks pretty nasty, seeing how it's sand blowing in high speed. I mean I guess they have similar eyes like snakes, but seriously it's not like snakes casually stay in sand storms either.
    actually their eyes were open and I tried to put in a quick type of leather cover with just a slit to protect the eyes. I see its not that obvious if people think I have changed their eyes to be snake like eyes. I will add a more leathery feel to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, I think fixing those last changes helped out. I'm going to leave it there and get on to another scene. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy brucew2,

I’m glad that you liked the suggestion of tattering up the desert travelers cloths a bit. Detail in your work adds character- I’ve been told….

I think you’ve done a very good job of planning out your picture and sticking to your main idea. This REALLY is a cool piece of work and adding the cover over the beast’s eyes is a great selling point. I was going to say that mother nature has a way of adapting her creatures. Animals that live in arid or sandy places such as this have longer eyelashes, a second eyelid, or an eye membrane that usually protect them from windstorms…..

I really like your artwork here. Looking forward to seeing more.

Bruce Pluto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvements, but I can't say I welcome the added saturation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Great improvements, but I can't say I welcome the added saturation!
    Hmmm I can see what you mean. I think I might tone it back a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.