E.O.W Round #173: Guerilla Nest in the Jungle (Winner: albino-Z)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: E.O.W Round #173: Guerilla Nest in the Jungle POLL

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • android411

9 11.84%
  • Mila

1 1.32%
  • RBeek

4 5.26%
  • drawec

11 14.47%
  • daflom

1 1.32%
  • Callergi

9 11.84%
  • obier

14 18.42%
  • Blankstate

0 0%
  • Kaui

1 1.32%
  • Velocity Kendall

2 2.63%
  • albino-Z

45 59.21%
  • monkeybread

7 9.21%
  • tamirespp

1 1.32%
  • jagder

9 11.84%
  • AdrianNagorski

0 0%
  • Corrick

34 44.74%
  • Migsta

1 1.32%
  • jonafunart

2 2.63%
  • ismo

5 6.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round #173: Guerilla Nest in the Jungle

Round #173

Topic = Guerilla Nest in the Jungle
    suggested by snatti

DEADLINE: Monday, October 3rd 2011

ENTRIES:

android411

Mila

RBeek

drawec

daflom

Callergi

obier

Blankstate

Kauil

Velocity Kendall

albino-Z

That was close...

monkeybread

tamirespp

jagder

AdrianNagorski

Corrick

Migsta

jonafunart

ismo

Vote for your favorite entries! Any feedback/comments are appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    android411 - Looks almost like the blueprint for a pop-up book. The details, color stylization and positioning gives me the sensation that it could be projected outwards. As a whole this is interesting to look at, surveying the surveillance spot, in a way. In the form of critique I would say that your choice of basic foliage designing could've been spruced up a bit. Some vegetation seemed lumped in for size's sake, but then again I realize this was more of an exercise in a variety of detail from you than a full bodied effort. Is that a crazy baboon local in the bottom right? Lol.

Mila - Checked this out and commented on this in your sketchbook. I like how spaciously placed the nest is and the peace of the surrounding jungle.

RBeek - Nice one, very lively color scheme here. I like how you went with the direction of fallen tree. In the event that a hurricane or a powerful storm caused that, the guerillas might not want to remove it but keep it in place as a form of blockade or superior positioning.

drawec - Raw and gritty. How guerilla nests should be done - there's nothing welcoming about this place. Like the dreary forest color you chose.

daflom - This was partially fragmental, both in approach and in the literal sense - the structures here are chunky, rickety looking. Not much fortification, like a small fortress that's seen many days full of bombardment. Different from what I expected.

Callergi - Cool perspective, and also the cooly twilight glow was effective. This was a cross between a sci fi flick with espionage involved and the Predator watching a group of bandits patiently at nightfall. Critique-wise, I think the collective details could've been more vivid. For example, the watcher's hand on the tree seems almost like it melted into the tree, unless its for camoflouge purposes.

obier - Really solid work here, professional looking. This looks like something you could see coming out of a Call of Duty outtakes series. Some other feedback: The shadow of the fence and the actual fence is slightly interwoven. In other words, at first sight you can't tell it's the shadow of the fence but if you look closer you can differentiate between the two. You got my vote.

Blankstate - I liked this, an abundance of vibrant colors and an action scene to chew on. You were successful with this, but maybe the other side beyond the waterfall area with the musky yellow light is distracting. The two sides read like different worlds to me. The style in this one almost felt oldschool - reminiscent of an old Nintendo game, revamped?

Kauil - The presence of the man in front of the guerilla nest was a good choice here as it leads the viewer to look past him and think about what lies behind that gate. Critique wise there were some elements that needed a little work, for example the jungle plants and vegetation look like runny mushrooms to me. It's a lot of detail to commit to but some taller trees leading into the gate and a more full, green forest in the mountains in the backround could've made this piece more complete, or entrenching. The white mist/sky area in the backround could also be more defined.

Velocity Kendall - Well done here Ms. V, and nice product placement with the Toyota haha I wonder, was this done on paper or digitally? It feels very hand crafted to my eyes right now which is a good thing. There's an underlying story in this one I think. Good job, nice to see you in these parts.

albino-Z - Excellence.. this topic was a great medium for you to showcase your skills. Reminds me of a more savage version of Halo - all areas were covered here admirably. I like the windy effect, the alert postures of the soldiers, their armor, the jungle encampment and finally, the helicopter providing for a tense, time-suspended atmosphere. You definitely got my vote.

monkeybread - Commendable scene unfolding. I think your foliage had similarities with android411's entry. The combinations and the energy is there, a botanical, sunny energy, but the chemistry isn't fully there. The birds are a cool addition, but the tiny fire in the middle - is that a miniature volcano? I can't really see any firewood there, unless that's where an artillery shell/bomb/mortar dropped.

tamirespp - Good effort man, I think it's cool that you went with something different than all the other entries so far: a scene of music, something other than holding down the fort. Relaxation, conversation and native music around a fire. If that's a gun or a shovel in his hand then nevermind lol.. but it does seem like a scene of music. The guy in the back must be either spying or guarding. Hopefully he's not an assassin ready to crash the party.

jadger - Skills, jag, skills. This was a really stellar offering this week. The trees on the left feel heavy, like they're weighing down on the balance of this piece. As a result it seemed slightly stiff. Aside from that I enjoyed the personal touches you added to this one.

AdrianNagorski - Hey Adrian, first off that map is gangsta. The entry - very busy. There's immediately around five things to look at but I'm not sure where to rest my corneas. I'm digesting it all gradually as it comes, but maybe a more central viewpoint or attention-grabber might've worked better here? That spider-like vehicle is cool and goes to show you've been consistent with your IOW contributions lately.

Corrick - Mild this week. Coke with lime, if environments could be translated into fluid. The colors are on point and this definitely feels like a concisely crisp approach from you, similar to your entry for the winged fortress EOW.

Migsta - Hey Mig, I find your entry to be a lot like Corrick's - light in mood, texture and spiced up with citrus-ey colors. The scale looks just about right in accuracy, almost like a photo study.

jonafunart - This made me go 'hmmmm...' mentally at first. It's a curious canvas of moonlight, tree trunks, branches, crevices, and dishevelled lighting from multiple directions. The guerilla nest doesn't really have a significant presence here, like it's there but it's dwarfed by the confounding plethora above and beyond it. This is where Gollum goes in his dreams.

ismo - iz, I know this wasn't a 'final' but I thought it was complete enough as is to put it up for voting. The inside of the half-plane/tunnel is fuzzy because it's still a WIP in a way, but I think it was a visual opportunity to add more of a mystery to this. The light from the fire and the swaying trees in the dark mood of night had it's intended effect. You almost got my vote.

Nice week guys, hope any comments help

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vulgar : Thanks for taking the time to feedback! LOL, the mini volcano was meant to be a smouldering doused fire...so no flame and all the wood burned to charcoal around it, but I definitely could have made it more obvious

Some really great entries.... I voted for
    albino-z : yeah totally awesome....something I struggle with is how much is about narrative and how much about the actual design of the environment. I think that for me your piece goes more on the narrative side than design, but with STYLE! Got my vote

drawec : nice gloomy enviro that is clearly infested with unpleasant types...like!

Obier : if it were up to me I think you should take the prize. Great enviro design, well executed, nice atmoshpere etc etc. Great stuff!

Jagder : man I totally meant to vote for you but didn't Sorry dude. I agree with Vulgar about the slight heaviness of the foliage in the comp. top left...but nice nonetheless.

Well done everyone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeybread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello everyone! great work! thanks for the vo- oh wait
    vulgar, thankyou man! i love these challenges i wish i had time to come and play with you guys more. im still green as hell at this painting business, hence the basicness, but its awesome fun!
    heres who i voted for and why
    android411
    nice colours and you get a good idea of how things are laid out if you were going to build it in 3d
    albino-Z
    classy, i was like man i want to learn how to make pics like that; not useful to modellers per se but great mood and cool tech, love it
    jagder
    nice colours and again, shows how things are laid out well
    Corrick
    lovely technique, nothing flashy just a nice image, like something from Monkey Island or one of those point and click adventures
    jonafunart
    awesome setting!
    i also thought adrian did a good job drawing a top down to show how his buildings and objects were located, and migstas has a great mosquito-infested vibe to the lighting

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; October 5th, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent entries on this round. I'm happy to participate with my first E.o.W. First, I'd like to thank Vulgar for his comments.

My favorites;

Rbeek - I liked your use of colour and how it defines that hidden guerilla nest under the
    shadows of the trees in an otherwise sunny and tropical world.

Callergi - A good angle. Really captures the sense of spying upon the nest. Reminds me
    of di Caprio in The Beach, spying on the locals at their encampment.

albino-Z - Absolutely love the way you make the picture move. The wind, leaves, motion
    blurring and also great composition.

Corrick - You set down the atmosphere like a pro and you have some great selection of colours.

Ismo - Excellent mood. Even though I wouldn't call it quite finished yet, I lóve the effect the fuselage is somewhat on the foreground and draws the attention. As if something interesting is to be found.. or the viewer is supposed to sneak over there and find something. All the while trying not to be noticed by the guerilla's sitting over by the fire.

As to the rest; Keep up the good work and let's move on to the new round!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a much-belated entry! I got interrupted by an art test for a concept artist position at Gameloft. We'll see how that goes! Anyways, I finished up my efforts for this EoW:

Name:  Patrick_Thompson_Environment_Concept_Guerilla_Base_Final_1200x600.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  499.6 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.