Please critique my piece?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Please critique my piece?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please critique my piece?

Hello there. So, I somewhat finished this guy last night. I would like to see all of your commentary on what I could do to truly finalize this piece. Thanks for your time

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by frozen-scumbag; October 3rd, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks really good to me! I might consider adding some more areas of focus though. Right now, the figure is really polished so I tend to only look at the face and upper body. You may want to pop a few of the tentacles or feathers with some hard edges to add more visual interest.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all, what's going on in the pic? wut's he doing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    first of all, what's going on in the pic? wut's he doing?
    Well, the name of this piece is Plague Weaver. I guess I should have posted that as well.

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen-scumbag View Post
    Well, the name of this piece is Plague Weaver. I guess I should have posted that as well.
    had you not told me I wouldn't have had any inkling of what's going on, and I still don't, really. is he invoking a plague? summoning one? there's nothing in this pic that indicates anything plague-related, save for maybe the mask (and even that's a stretch).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    had you not told me I wouldn't have had any inkling of what's going on, and I still don't, really. is he invoking a plague? summoning one? there's nothing in this pic that indicates anything plague-related, save for maybe the mask (and even that's a stretch).
    I'm not looking to give a literal depiction of anything. That would make it boring and generic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen-scumbag View Post
    I'm not looking to give a literal depiction of anything. That would make it boring and generic
    ??

I think quite the opposite. You have a creature standing in the middle of what looks like a field surrounded by distant mountains, doing nothing. Is there any reason he is there? Does he like waving his arms? Why are there random feathers, did he kill a bird? Your setting doesn't give us much information about anything this character is.

If you are designing a concept there isn't really a need for a dynamic setting or pose. You can give more information with a line drawing and simple colors. But it looks like you are attempting to show us the character in action which is why FourTonMantis prompted the question, what is he doing?

I would suggest giving your character a purpose, maybe he's fighting something, something that will let the viewer know what he is and what he is doing without having to provide us the title.

Hope this helps!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to littlemonsters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to "literally" show him weaving a plague, him at a desk weaving some strands with a sign saying "plague weaving station" but two seconds of thought might yeild something that could at least give us an "ooooh I see it" moment when we see the character and title.

Something as simple as the character walking among withered and boil-covered bodies would be a way of showing us that he's bringing some nasty shit to the table.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonsters View Post
    ??

I think quite the opposite. You have a creature standing in the middle of what looks like a field surrounded by distant mountains, doing nothing. Is there any reason he is there? Does he like waving his arms? Why are there random feathers, did he kill a bird? Your setting doesn't give us much information about anything this character is.

If you are designing a concept there isn't really a need for a dynamic setting or pose. You can give more information with a line drawing and simple colors. But it looks like you are attempting to show us the character in action which is why FourTonMantis prompted the question, what is he doing?

I would suggest giving your character a purpose, maybe he's fighting something, something that will let the viewer know what he is and what he is doing without having to provide us the title.

Hope this helps!
    couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    You don't have to "literally" show him weaving a plague, him at a desk weaving some strands with a sign saying "plague weaving station" but two seconds of thought might yeild something that could at least give us an "ooooh I see it" moment when we see the character and title.

Something as simple as the character walking among withered and boil-covered bodies would be a way of showing us that he's bringing some nasty shit to the table.
    makes sense. thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from the concept approach needing some work, are you committed to keeping it monochromatic? I think the piece could use some 2ndary color treatment. Perhaps some warming of the shadows and cooling of the lights, or vice-a-versa. It might add some nice variation, and it may help create the illusion of depth a little bit more.

I like the overall design of your character. His mask/head is pretty cool.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    Apart from the concept approach needing some work, are you committed to keeping it monochromatic? I think the piece could use some 2ndary color treatment. Perhaps some warming of the shadows and cooling of the lights, or vice-a-versa. It might add some nice variation, and it may help create the illusion of depth a little bit more.

I like the overall design of your character. His mask/head is pretty cool.
    Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about it. It seemed as if any warmth I tried adding created too much of a contrast. It was really bizarre

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also because both of those larger feathers have barbs missing in the exact same places on the opposite sides it makes it looked like you just copied flipped and pasted the feather, which is something that always distracts and annoys my eye.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.