Time Management

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Time Management

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Time Management

I'm running short of time right now (and the last week has been the same), and the remaining half an hour before I go to sleep I want to do some Loomis and Bridgman; it's so much less than what I actually want to do but stealing any more sleep time for drawing will kill me tomorrow (aka zombie-mode for the rest of the day). At least it's better than nothing.

Anyway was toying with the idea of listening to the people who have been in my place before and have a lot more experience than I do in this matter. So I wanted to ask if any of you have been in this kind of situation where you have little spare time, and how you managed to make time for drawing.

Also, is drawing just ten or fifteen minutes a day enough? I know that's the usual advice for people who are short of time but I don't know if you actually make any progress that way.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualInsomnia View Post
    I'm running short of time right now (and the last week has been the same), and the remaining half an hour before I go to sleep I want to do some Loomis and Bridgman; it's so much less than what I actually want to do but stealing any more sleep time for drawing will kill me tomorrow (aka zombie-mode for the rest of the day). At least it's better than nothing.

Anyway was toying with the idea of listening to the people who have been in my place before and have a lot more experience than I do in this matter. So I wanted to ask if any of you have been in this kind of situation where you have little spare time, and how you managed to make time for drawing.

Also, is drawing just ten or fifteen minutes a day enough? I know that's the usual advice for people who are short of time but I don't know if you actually make any progress that way.
    First you need to tell us your goals -- are you a hobbyist or are you pursuing this as a profession?

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now I'm a hobbyist studying for another career, but I wouldn't lie if I told you I'd like to get good enough to get paid for it. I'm too unsure about my future to tell you I am right now planning to live off it as a main job (if I was certain about my level being high enough for it I would start working on illustration or graphic design without a second thought).

I don't really know since I haven't given it much thought. At the moment I focus on getting started.

Last edited by perpetualInsomnia; October 3rd, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Of course you will make progress. You will just make that progress slower than someone who does it for hours a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to be too zen on you but there's not a time that's too little to practice and not a time that's enough either.

Basically, you'll never decide "That's enough art for today, I'm done" if you're serious about improving. However, every little bit of time you can spend on it will help. In particular you might want to try to take advantage of the little times when you're stuck doing nothing. Take a pocket sketchbook with you and draw while you're on the train, waiting for your buddy to go to lunch with you, while you're on the phone, while you're watching TV, etc. Those "2 minutes" add up really quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Maybe!

My year long daily SB was all about that 'til I got smacked with working 60 hour weeks as a contractor in telecommunications. (working more than 50 hours/week is a real BITCH re time, recreation, relationships, laundry, etc.)

[I'm still "training" but I'm undergoing a booklearning phase where I'm dedicating much time to reading about classic Disney and Warner Bros. animation. . .]

I got. . . a tiny bit better. . .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, how much progress are you going to make by spending zero minutes a day on drawing?

But here's a different thought: when I'm busy and I get 15 minutes to myself I make a grab for whatever it is I love. I don't worry that spending 15 minutes on reading my book or sketching or biking isn't enough to improve me, I go for it because that's what I want. If drawing doesn't catch you that way, what does? Whatever it is maybe that's what you ought to be doing. (If it's something even semi-useful. If you're just going to veg out with reality shows or MMOs you might as well draw.)

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    and the remaining half an hour before I go to sleep I want to do some Loomis and Bridgman
    Personally, I'd rather go sleep earlier and also wake up earlier. My experience isn't the same with everyone, but before I go to sleep I tend to be already tired and looking to go to sleep instead of doing exercises that require brainpower and may frustrate and stay haunting me if left unfinished (and then I end up staying up drawing to late at night), where as starting the day with some art and being productive actually increases my chances to keep drawing during the day (sketching some people outside, getting ideas and wanting to start drawing when I get home). Also putting drawing to the last thing may make it feel like a chore and is really easy to skip if some day you feel extra tired.

And like said, fifteen minutes is definitely not enough, but if you try, you probably can find more time with little sacrifices (keep a sketchbook with you and draw from life during recess/bus/train/lunch, quit watching TV and so on).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have an hour spare, this is a good lecture on time management (lol irony).

The guy doing the lecture was dieing of cancer.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch out for the lack of sleep, the stuff you learn will just slip out of your head and if you dont take time to rest. Just sayin that seeing your username ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cool thing with the Bridgeman books is they are small enough to be carried around and studied on the bus or during breaks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work + uni + wife and 10months twin ... you think i have enough time to draw? well, yes i do.. i create time @ work, whenever i'm done attending calls from the users, i start practicing or reading a drawing book (and on this forum for inspiration).

but tbh, i bought a Cintiq 21, and i still didn't use it because my room is a mess, and i don't have a space for it. now THAT i can't create the time for to arrange the room and put it up for use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No 15 mins a day is not enough.

If you real Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers", he explains that anyone is good at anything at a professional level has at least 10,000 hours of converted practice.

So lets take college...

You study the subject 8 hours a day for four years, that will total a little above 10,000 hours.

You get the picture.

One of my suggestions is to buy a smaller sized sketch book. Carry it with you everywere you go. And heres the golden rule, "When your sitting, your drawing"

Draw on the train, car, eating at a restaurant, everywhere, this is one way to improve sort of effortlessly.

Second, you really have to make the time for that concerted practice. Otherwise, there is no chance at a career.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Malcolm Gladwell is full of politically correct shit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.