Beginner artist looking for critique

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner artist looking for critique

Hi people, I'm new to the forums and as a junior graphic designer have some experience in illustration and the arts.

Recently I've realized that I tend to go for the more illustrative kinds of vector designs, so I'm trying to build my skills
    as a digital painter, hoping one day with enough practice to branch off
    and do something more in the illustration concept/art fields.

Here are some sketches from a few years ago with some 2-3 months of practice. I realize I'm nowhere near pro
    or even what most of you would consider intermediate, but I think I have potential and want to know what you think.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some imaginative ideas! I'd suggest more basic drawing practice. Draw all of the time to develop your eye-brain-hand coordination so that you can put the images in your head more confidently onto the page. Life drawing classes are a great way to become a better draftsman.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Show recent work to get crits for. There's no point in critiquing your ability 3 years ago.

2. If you're currently no better than this after several years, I would suggest not pursuing a career in the illustrative field.

3. If this is your current skill level, but you're dead set on getting a job in the illustrative field, delete any painting software you have, get a pencil and a piece of paper and draw, draw, draw, draw, and after that, draw more. Focus on line drawings. Don't bother with shading. Learn to create accurate outlines and proportions. Study from life, photos and any other reference you can find.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the post above. If you have not improved in a few years then I would suggest a different career choice. I don't even know where to begin with this critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to do some line art by pencil, but I took up digital art after a while for a change. I won't be taking this up as a career necessarily, but I'll take your advice on the pencil art. I'll probably end up experimenting with some of the tutorials offered on this site just to get better.

My vector art tends to be much more professional, but I figure if I like illustrating as a graphic designer that much, I might as well push some sketching and at worst it will carry over into my designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen-scumbag View Post
    I agree with the post above. If you have not improved in a few years then I would suggest a different career choice. I don't even know where to begin with this critique.
    I'm an amateur...you don't have to judge from a perspective of how far am I from being pro...it's obvious I'm not. What are some good practicing techniques?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacom3 View Post
    I'm an amateur...you don't have to judge from a perspective of how far am I from being pro...it's obvious I'm not. What are some good practicing techniques?
    Good practice techniques include drawing... and that's about it. There is no shortcut to being able to paint well. Set up a table in your room, and start sketching what you see. Learn perspective. It's the most important thing when you are starting out. And doodle.. a lot. Keep your doodles rough and fast, you can always revisit them when your technique improves and you can fully render them out. If you would like a realistic time-frame on how long it can take to work your way up to a fairly respectable level of drawing, based on what you posted, you're looking at about 10-15 years of consistent practice.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome to CA.

I disagree strongly with both keith_v and frozen-scumbag about giving up. Only do this if you no longer have desire to learn, draw or paint.

It is easy to not progress for long periods of time when you are starting out. There are so many things to learn and different techniques to choose from, it is hard to know which path is the right one. The fact you have signed up here is a very good step in the right direction as you will get some real encouragement and advice here if you put the work in (despite first impressions).

Start a sketchbook on CA, and draw every day from life and photo references. Imprint common forms like anatomy in your brain. It will take some time, but anyone can learn to paint/draw if they have enough will power.

Post a link to your sketchbook here when you create one.

Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JackAnimated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAnimated View Post
    I disagree strongly with both keith_v and frozen-scumbag about giving up.
    seriously. the fuck is wrong with you guys?

keep drawing. don't stop plz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    seriously. the fuck is wrong with you guys?

keep drawing. don't stop plz.
    I never said to stop drawing. I said that if he can't improve, a career in illustration will not be the best bet for him. This is especially true for someone who did not want to take the time to learn to draw before jumping onto the computer to paint. If you're not willing to take the time to learn to draw even basic forms, you have about zero chance of finding a career in illustration.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am pretty sure he is trying to learn how to draw basic forms right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of people jump straight to digital because they think it's what they need to learn. It's only after they come in contact with more experienced artists that a lot of people discover that the analog groundwork is necessary and will improve overall quality. So I wouldn't criticize the OP on that score.

The thing to do, obviously, is start up a sketchbook and as the OP works on basic forms and general sketching they should post their progress. If they're serious about keeping with it and are anywhere decent at observation, there's almost guaranteed to be improvement.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.