Photoshop and Painter
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photoshop and Painter

I just wanted to ask the experienced Painter users on here: do you use Photoshop for any of your actual drawing and painting work? I know a lot of people use Photoshop at the 'post-production' stage but what about actual Illustration?

I've tried using Photoshop a few times but found the whole process very unnatural and I just can't get to grips with it at all. I'm asking you guys because if Photoshop does provide some features which add something to your overall painting process, beyond what Painter already provides, I may invest some time in trying to get the hang of it.

Obviously Photoshop is used by a lot of Illustrators but I'd rather hear what Corel Painter users have to say.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've used it for a long time (like years) and I prefer using Corel Painter.
    It's closer to what I do in a traditional manner. I don't mean that oil paints act like REAL oil paints or something like that, but I don't like the SCAOPALO method (Sample Colors At Low Opacity and Paint At Low Opacity).

I generally put on the strongest colors first, then work on mixing and blending. With the Bleed/Resat adjustments this works close to what I do and saves me time meticulously building up which I used to do in Photoshop. Photoshop I'd do "add flats" then slowly build up to get blending.

I also use Paint tool Sai which gives me stability, but does lack in brush controls or at times they're downright confusing. Ex. Does anyone know how to "inverse bleed" in Sai?

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 3rd, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's what I find unnatural, the way you build up colour in Photoshop, and blending too.

I would never use Photoshop in preference to Painter, but wondered if it could offer something in a Painter artist's workflow beyond the post-production touch ups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmantle View Post
    That's what I find unnatural, the way you build up colour in Photoshop, and blending too.

I would never use Photoshop in preference to Painter, but wondered if it could offer something in a Painter artist's workflow beyond the post-production touch ups.
    The transform tools are EXCELLENT in Photoshop. It's a good way to help fix up a sketch before going into painting.

It can also be good for selections and building flats. So it just depends on your workflow.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started with PS and switched to painter for painting a few years ago
    still miss PS stability at times, but I hate the way photoshop responds to pen pressure so much, painting there feels really erratic.

That being sad, some brushes in recent painter versions (10 and onwards) don't really feel and work as good as they used to.
    If this trend continues, I'll just stick with whatever painter version fits me best and will use PS more extensively for stuff like up-resing, colour correction, etc.

> I would never use Photoshop in preference to Painter, but wondered if it could offer something in a Painter artist's workflow beyond the post-production touch ups.
    well the only thing PS can really offer for me is layer mode for brushes, that have an iffy implementation in painter;
    I'd like painter to support cmyk files (and rgb-16 probably too), and some extra layer modes like colour dodge;
    PS also has "sample current layer" option for eye-dropper since cs4, I believe - extremely useful and awesome feature, that doesn't work as good for me since I hate PS brush response.
    why painter still doesn't have it in v. 12 is still a question, tho.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer the way the brushes respond and the precision of Photoshop, Painter sort of hangs when I do a lot of color picking and sometimes it doesn't register the brush strokes plus it has the pressure scale all wonky, it's either too hard when I'm doing light brush strokes or too light when I'm doing large brush strokes.

For color blocking, blending and drawing SAI, Painter if I need some texture effect using the digital watercolors and Photoshop for everything else. I use a lot of "stamp" brushes that I made myself with watercolors, so they're 1000px or larger and there's no way to apply them other than in Photoshop, would be cool if I had an Art Pen and I could rotate/twist the pen and it would shift the angle accordingly but c'est la vie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use both Photoshop and Painter almost equally for painting and drawing. I love both.

I wouldn't have learned to paint in Photoshop without classes with Tim Shelbourne though, his classes and live online workshops at The Artist's Quarter are terrific. I frequently take a piece between the two while painting and prefer each for different things. I can't imagine having to choose one over the other.

Claudia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I still can't find a software that has it all.
    Paint tool SAI is great for sketching and lineart.
    Corel Painter is overall great.I'm happy I tried it.Its awesome if you want to draw for fun but I still have to learn to use the right brushes for me.
    Photoshop is great for photo manipulations and stuff but I can't draw at all with photoshop.
    I feel like I need to change the pressure settings or something but never bothered much.
    I love the way this artist works in PS
    http://genzoman.deviantart.com/
    I can draw easily greyscale but when I try to color them they look so desaturated and when I try to fix the colors it looks like the contrast is too high.
    Should I keep drawing normally or should I learn coloring greyscale?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately there isn't a program that does it all, the closest to it, is IllustStudio but I didn't really like the workflow/interface and the brush response wasn't as good as SAI and is never coming out of Japan.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Portus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I saw a lot of potential from Illustudio but the interface was pretty awful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the responses. I discovered the new Digital Hard Edge Airbrush today, which recreates the way Photoshop applies colour and is very similar to the Hard Edge brush in Photoshop.

One thing I do like about this brush (and the Photoshop brushes) is that it's a good way to generate a tones for a colour by overlaying a series of greyscale values.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.