Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How's my progress?

Thanks
    Well, I tried to work a lot more from my imagination to test myself on the amount I've learnt from the studies,
    I think I'm seeing a good improvement but it would be great if I could get some crits from anyone who views this post
    but if not I'll carry on the way I'm going, I'm certainly enjoying myself with it.
    I think I'll go back to photo studies for a couple of weeks while mixing in imaginative work
    I want to try and lose lines and build up in colour/tone rather than depending on a structure.
    Attachment 1391333

Attachment 1391334
    Only page of observation, Michael Hampton's figure drawing.
    Attachment 1391335

Attachment 1391336
    Decided that one of the sketches I did would be a good idea to practice painting with,
    a little small sorry about that, I think it's working ok, I should have made it a lot bigger
    Attachment 1391391
    Last edited by BenjaminJL92; December 31st, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have to say, I'm very impressed. Your studies are nicely done and something I REALLY liked stuck out to me: you have beautiful lines. It sounds unimportant (maybe?), but lines are usually a big struggle for artists, but you capture your figures in simple shapes and with minimum lines. Very good! Also your portrait of the man is very well done. You even got his line of vision right! Yay!

Can't wait to see more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nisshoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with Nisshoku, your line work is quite nice, especially on the clean sketches. I really like the Dexter portrait it turned out awesome. I am afraid of jumping into digital painting ( need to get at drawing first ) especially on blending values. If you have any tips for a noob like me it would be much appreciated! Keep up the awesome studies dood!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeBot612 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey there benjamin! it is nice to see someone my age and starting too!
    nice start!!
    loomis and bridgman are great for getting the planes and the construction of the figure. and you're starting nice! the amount of work is great!

about photoshop: i think it is not good jump into it right now. it a great deal for paintings and compositions sketches and stuff... but for line drawings and studies, you should keep you good old pencil and paper.

i don't know if you already do, but it is great to engaje in a drawing class.
    there are also some nice teachers in youtube if you search there.

thats it, keep up the work! maybe we will learn together!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro Cardoso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nisshoku: Thanks! and well I think lines can really help create a dynamic drawing, and give it a sense of movement. But as for helping with detail and tone values, they aren't that good unless you dedicate your time to hatch a drawing to create a blending effect (lines a lot closer together), I see a lot of good artists use hatching to add tone to portraits with graphite/charcoal, but thank you!
    ColeBot612: Hahah I'm sorry man I'm still a noob myself,
    but the time I've been on here I've been given really helpful advice by a majority of amazing artists.
    Studying from life has really helped me a lot to develop my proportions a lot faster, because switching from photos to life can be a little difficult for artists who like to study from photos (me), but it is so much more helpful, because it's pushing your abilities.
    Just try and draw as much as you can, the more you draw the faster you will improve, and when it comes to anatomy/photo studies really take your time to be as accurate as possible
    as you can see I need to try and start on colouring now so I need to find some good resources for learning to paint digitally (look up Harold Speeds oil painting for traditional painting, very good book).
    Pedro Cardoso: Thanks man, I'm not sure what to say about the photoshop advice, I'd really like to get good at colouring/painting with digital media, but I appreciate your satisfaction towards my work, it's a good motivational boost for me if people like my work, and even if they don't and just give a reliable crit.

Just some quick ones from this week, I'll catch up with some studies over the weekend.
    Sculpture study from Victoria museum, I have more from life that I'll upload on the weekend, and a photo study of Gwyneth Paltrow.
    Attachment 1395476
    Bridgman studies, and Some doodles from Imagination.
    Attachment 1395477
    Digi paint study WIP.
    Attachment 1395496

Thanks
    You've got a great knack for mapping out planes! Keep developing it for sure!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlyH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Hey there, great sketchbook so far. Your anatomy studies are excellent and it looks like you're learning a lot from them. For your paintings, try to approach them in the same fashion as your pencil studies and use what you've learned thus far. Start with a broad sketch, plan out the proportions, develop the structure, then lay your values on top. Double-check your accuracy before moving into the next stage because it's always easier to fix structural mistakes earlier than later. Keep up the good work dude!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlyH View Post
    You've got a great knack for mapping out planes! Keep developing it for sure!
    What this guy said!
    keep up with the studies!

also more dexter!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyoron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. You have some great studies in here!

About the technique you asked about, it isn't all that different from what you're already doing.

Firstly I start with a hard lead pencil, make sure it's sharp! I use a 0.3 H mechanical pencil.
    I shade either along the form (e.g. form shadow) or across it (e.g. cast shadow), hatching in the direction of the light source.
    When crosshatching I don't draw them in opposite directions at first, I only change the angle slightly, that gives it a smoother transition and you won't need to smudge.
    For the darker parts I use a 2B 0.5 mechanical pencil, and the darkest parts a 4B/6B pencil.

The tip is to first layer with hard pencils, adding darker pencils as needed. And make sure your pencils are always sharp. Hope that helps!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustveld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rustveld: Thanks for stopping by and for the lesson about the pencils, I'll give it a try some time!

Nyoron: Hah thanks, I'm guessing you watched the end of season 6? I should give the books a read.

dierat:Thank you very much for taking the time to give me advice about the digital paintings,
    I see some artists (better than me) can just use larger brush stokes to begin with rather than a line drawing,
    I guess it might be easier for me to start off with a line drawing, I'll give it a shot this week. Thanks again.

CarlyH:Cheers, glad you like the work so far, I still have a looong way to go on improving.

Been almost two weeks since I last updated, not good!
    I think my pencils are improving slightly, but I think working on colour and just blocks of tone/values is a must for me right now,
    which is why I'm going to start my first oil painting over next week, excited but nervous, I don't like failing.

Here are some studies, from life, books, and a few doodles from imagination.
    Bridgman & Photo study of Daryl from The Walking Dead.
    Attachment 1403985

Bridgman hands (need to work on hands a lot more) and a portrait study.
    Attachment 1403986

Figures, one from ref, other from imagination, and character portrait doodle.
    Attachment 1403987

Hampton studies, and my telescope from life, around 1 hour.
    Attachment 1403988

Thanks
    I've got myself started on a master study by Leon Bonnat today,
    I'm finding it very difficult to chose colours from my own observation,
    but I'm not too far off on some of them once I got warmed up.
    They tend to be slightly darker than the colours I'm picking (colour column on the left are the colours I picked without colour picker)
    and the actual colour that is there (column on the right using colour picker).
    Tips or crits would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm around 1 hour 20 minutes in right now, I'll probably spend around 3 hours on it.
    Attachment 1404390

Thanks
    Think I'll just finish it here, took me approx 2.5 hours,
    I think it will turn out quite nice once I get the hang of getting colours correct.
    Attachment 1404544

Thanks
    Great Studies Can't wait to see more! subscribed!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kino_PuA For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast