P.O.W,! Challenge 54 (A-B-C-) Birds and Halloween...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

] Reminder: We're going back to our normal format now that the Illustration Challenges have started...sort of. We're going to keep the A and B format, with one Challenge from us here, and the second Challenge from a list of suggestions from our loyal participants, would-be participants, and that green-haired chick on Second Avenue who drinks a lot and giggles funny...

E will become C from now on, and we'll add some weird stuff sometimes just to throw you a curve...for example--this month (and possibly a bit longer), we're asking everyone to create a new banner for P.O.W.! (...see below).

THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR CHANGES MADE as of last Challenge, SO READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!

All future POW! Challenges will roughly follow the format below, unless otherwise noted for a special event.

Every Month (more or less), three (3) Challenges will be posted from various sources--A, B, and C. All (except where noted) will run simultaneously. One (C), will be kind of easy and may seem a little beginner-ish to some people, but it's to introduce people who have rarely done sequential comics to some of the techniques, approaches and such they need to advance to the "Three-Quarter-Pounders-with-Cheese, please" level.

You can do any one, two, or all of them if you wanna make your mommy really proud. If you're a bit unsure of yourself yet, you can try doing the C part of each challenge. It will be a bit easier and less nerve-wracking because we're treating C as a kind of "learning the basics" kind of thing.

In all cases, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 54A: The Bird Races...

This is open to a number of possibilities. People who race birds, like pigeon racing type stuff, people who race ON birds as if they were horses (obviously sci-fi/fantasy), people who race on FLYING birds as if they were airplanes, etc. The birds could be any size, any type (real or imaginary), in any genre it makes sense to have them, INCLUDING sentient bipedal birds who race as humans would against each other in track and field events. What constitutes a "bird" can be as open to conjecture as you want it to be, as long as they have feathers....including people dressed up in bird costumes...

Topic 54B: A Halloween Event in Your Past...

This was inspired by a suggestion by Angel Intheuk, and has the possibility of being a lot fun if you give up trying to be honest, especially if we limit it to HALLOWEEN. The event should be real, the story should be real at its base, BUT minimal to MASSIVE exaggeration is encouraged, accepted, and shall be considered ...ahhhh...literary embellishment. Any event of any kind that occurred anywhere YOU were ON HALLOWEEN that you were involved in. I...WILL...wince and arch my eyebrows if there is mention of an anal probe, so be forewarned...

Either or Both-Deadline: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of THREE to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least THREE pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. ......................................

P.O.W.! Challenge 54C: Birds and/or Halloween Costumes...

If you're kinda new to this stuff, here's a little thing you can work on without losing your mind...and fingers...and sleep...and this time, you can do one of two different things, or do a couple of both.

This seems simple, but the first is BIRDS. Try to capture the essence of birds in simple drawings--little bird, big birds, imaginary birds, running birds, flying birds, etc.

AND...

Have some fun with creative Halloween costumes that could be used by kids or adults that could be made with a minimum of money and a maximum of creative ingenuity. Just sketches, again.

Deadline: Characters E: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

.................................................. ......................................

AND A SPECIAL CHALLENGE FOR ALL YOU WOULD-BE DESIGNERS/COMIC ARTISTS OUT THERE...(extended to October 30, 2011)

WE NEED A BANNER/MASTHEAD/"LOGO" (whatever you wanna call it. It's our brand.) We'll decide the winner by poll, and if we decide we need more entries before polling, we will extend the deadline for this one for as long as it takes. This piece of art is forever, after all... or till last Tuesday--whichever comes last.

The Rules:

• This is Top-Grade Art, so do your best. No rough sketches, WIPs, or jelly sandwiches will go to polling.

• Size should be approximately 1000 pixels WIDE by 400 to 600 pixels HIGH.

• The banner should present a clear idea of what P.O.W.! is all about--SEQUENTIAL PANEL (and other types of) COMICS-- and all that goes into producing them. Should be multi-color, and strong and clear in its message, which is "WE DO COMIX HERE!"

• Unlike the other Challenges (COW, CHOW, TEEN, etc.), we don't need an area for specs or "rules" for each individual challenge, because we're too diverse in approach to tie down to one set of specs.

• What we DO need is the wording, "P.O.W.!" and "PANELS OF THE WEEK CHALLENGE." Nothing else is necessary, unless you want to continue the tradition of the tagline, "Created & Published by the @&$#!! Members of Conceptarts.Org Forums."

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooo Birds! Awesome! I have to do one of these sometime.... >.<

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo hoo! Am probably going to do the bird races. I'm thinking something Heavy Metal-esque, dinobirds and boobs and etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "ooo Birds! Awesome! I have to do one of these sometime.... >.<"

So what the hell are you waiting for?

...doofus...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have too be honest i'm not exactally psyched About the TOPICS even though ive already mapped out in my mind the whole bird race thing......as for the whole halloween thing i have either no memory becuase we (not I) was drunk.... or the one where i have anal probe up my ass......or that i dressed up as "the crow" (actually happened) before i started lossing my hair at a rapid rate..followed by massive amounts of depressing music and booze......but then there's alway's that old round table commercial about the cute little princess and the cute little clove of garlic!!!!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; October 10th, 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: damage control

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    "ooo Birds! Awesome! I have to do one of these sometime.... >.<"

So what the hell are you waiting for?

...doofus...
    Yes! I know. Im attempting something... Not sure how great its going to to be. Dont know that much about comic making.

“To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J.S., I'd like to get topics suggestions that you'd like. I have a tendency to have a bit of a humorous and/or ironic approach because of the way I think. Should the topics be more adventurous, combative, or "exciting" in the sense of lots of action? More spacey, or game-oriented. I'm not all that familiar with most of the gaming stuff you younger guys like to play, but I can research it easily.

Don't be soft on bashing me if I come up with uninteresting topics, because I'm trying to get you guys to WANT to do comics. Can you gimme some clues...seriously? Same goes for everyone else. Thanks... I'd appreciate it. Remember I go back to Wally Wood, Little Nemo, Krazy Kat and Pogo myself. Everything from there on I pretty much missed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sword and sorcery seems to draw well, especially if there is reason to design some bikini armor. People never seem to get tired of zombies.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People do love Zombies.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My story sucks soo hard... Am I the only one this week?

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are not the only one! I am also sucking this week. I don't really have a story atm, just some boobs and a dino bird. I can't seem to focus on the actual, yaknow, story.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drygrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the delay Kitty cat!!!!
    A: TRUST ME BROTHER I WANT TO MAKE COMICS!!!!!!! I really enjoy the topics that you put up. they challenge my brain or what's left of it.....but like with the holloween one it's topic specific where the bird one was more free reigned.....ummm i forgot where i was going there

B: Maybe one of the age gap things comics in general (strips). The ones that you see in the newspaper sometimes humor or politics where created by one individual there short usually three panels long.....i grew up with Image comics which where where vvverrrryyy Action imagy! But when you look at credits it's usually a creative staff ranging from 3 to 12 people!!!

on that note: i think we should really try to get some team challenges....maybe it already happened and i was left out.... but i remember you saying we may one day be in print...
    and i think our best chance at that. is for each of us to have a specific job...the most of here are just hobbies'ts who either enjoy making art. or are like me need! to be noticed..

as for topics... of coarse i need action!!! maybe we could have topics with catagories first then topics with limiting wording like sci-fi/the jealous! or drama/step children! and so on so fourth maybe that would be too confusing....i don't know

C: i started to compete here because my goal was to make a comic of my own. i have three solid concepts which i think are marketable but either are missing the story or i wrote it down and misplace the note pad. i realize that i have been relying on technolegy fo to long now. it allows me to produce things faster, in that thing is a steaming pile of shit......any way ta-ta for now(in an evil hannabil lecter voice!)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh the team comic idea is good, I always feel like giving up if it's just me but if I work with someone else I don't want to let them down. And also it would be good have a go at just pencilling or inking, colouring, or maybe just writing, sometimes I come up with good stories and fall down totally on the execution part.

Also I like J.S's idea about having a specific genre contest, maybe not all the time but I've had my eye on trying noir for a while but never had a reason to start anything.

Anyway, I've come up with a wee story for the Halloween one out of obligation because I was name dropped jk, I will submit soon for your critical eyes

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The past month has been tough, busy and artistically frustrating, so many incredible ideas in my head and so little skill to execute them. As well as the usual procrastination.

Here is the Wip no.1 for the banner please give extremely harsh vulgar F you criticism, Hopefully i can get it done right!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooooo yeah... one of my two towers died today it just happened too be the one with all my art programs recording software songs that i've been working on three+ years.....and my music library......(possibly $89 too fix)
    So today i tried the good old pen and paper ink routine; for the bird race. at the coffee shop for four hours and it was fucking embarrassing...theres a storyboarder i see often and we talk about art... i usually just sketch in my pad on average a single character but i've been getting better at the over all, one day i'll scan them for you...
    anyways...this guy draws on same pre-printed paper with script lines on the left and a box to the right daily......i see now i need to start thinking "inside the box"
    i realized i no longer have physical art supplies too make comics on paper!
    i have an easel too paint with.
    (had) i have a digital tablet and software to draw or paint in!
    but i don't have a fucking ruler or a drafting table to draw on. not even one of those damn plastic things with circle cut out of 'em......i'm so under prepaired at the moment the tragedy of this story is i was at the art supply store today bought a new sketch pad some prisma cool grey pens kneaded eraser and pencil sharpener(note: side story two weeks ago i had these items in my bag but drunkenly left it in a strangers car whom i thought i had the number to) and forgot to the plastic stencil thing wich has the ruler on the side and the circle cut outs...

what i was getting at was. whatever i have i will scan in and submit.....but first a ruler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MMMWWAAAAHAHAhaha!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; October 25th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy uuuummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianNagorski View Post
    The past month has been tough, busy and artistically frustrating, so many incredible ideas in my head and so little skill to execute them. As well as the usual procrastination.

Here is the Wip no.1 for the banner please give extremely harsh vulgar F you criticism, Hopefully i can get it done right!!
    how about pushing yourself too create a "new" banner! and not re-hashing old work for new usage.........you know what i speak of.......

Don't get me wrong i haven't even started on the banner yet.....but when i do. it will be an image that's p.o.w! specific.....

o yeah i found a disk with some art programs so we'll all be seeing the usuall shit from me!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the idea of collaboration too. the biggest stumbling block for us panel artists is the sheer amount of work. it seems to me that the jobs of writing, concepting (designing characters, enviros etc), penciling, inking, coloring, and doing the panels and balloons are all distinct tasks that could easily be split up among a small team. that's how it's usually done in the industry anyway isn't it? i think there's a reason for that.

how would teams work? maybe we could each submit a script, and then people could sign up for the various other tasks on whatever story they like, taking responsibility for one or more tasks. once a full team was assembled they could take 3 weeks to finish. the peer pressure from teammates might encourage people to finish more often, and theoretically the final product could be much better than what we usually see. i don't know how the polling would work, but nobody ever votes anyway.

you all know i can finish my work, but i just don't have the time anymore. i've got a good concept and a script for bird riders, but i probably won't submit this time because i'm working on another project and i can't spare 20 hours this month.

re some of the other comments: i love birds (obviously), little nemo, sword and sorcery. anything sci-fi is good, or historical. basically anything that's fun to draw. there are so many good options. i like the open-ended topics because you can invent whatever story you want.

Swim, fly, draw.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's what's going on here too. I got a lot of new software toys I'd like to bust out on the bird topic but I've been consumed with exchanging my time for money in the day job. I just made it past a significant case milestone this week and have been looking forward to the new topic and a fresh start.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can the final thread go up tomorrow please? Dont think ill have internet access again untill late halloween.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by franklingeorge View Post
    ooooooo birds, awesome i have to do one of these sometimes,
    sketchbook help to improve it.
    it's not the dog's size in the fight. it's the size of fight in the dog.
    What the hell?!?

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wingal, there's no finals thread, just post your comic here and I'll rescue it to the voting thread later.

Ilaekae I think the topics are fine, they won't suit everyone everytime, but that's how life goes.

Can I be super cheeky and ask for an extension on this one? I started doing a true Hallow'een story, but it was a bit Wonder Years (I learned something that day...) so I moved on to Bird Races and I thought seeing as I had last week off work I'ld get it together - but a lot of people want your attention in real life when they know you have some time off, especially family! I've still got a few days off, so if this POW's deadline was, say, next sunday, I'ld have a bird races comic done?!?!!

Oh yeah, I must upload my go at a logo as well.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and the team effort comic also sounds like a good time. We'ld need to work out some good guidelines, but I think it could be a good time. How about post a topic, people could team up, then both draw the comic and swop over for inking/lettering etc? I don't know if that would be ideal....

45. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldnt mind a slight extension. Then I could make mine look all pretty and colorfull!

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about Challenge 55 (or whatever) - pencil this theme (whatever). Then Challenge 56 (or whatever) pick your favourite from challenge 55 and ink/letter/colour it? I've been inking like crazy since I posted yesterday so I'll only barely be behind schedule on this one. Drawing birds is fun.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My power is going in and out here because of downed trees, so the new Challenge won't be up till early tomorrow afternoon when I get back. I have a challenge that I think you might have fun with for the next month, and it will give us a couple of weeks to back-and-forth on the best way to do a team comic for next month.

A couple of people asked for an extension, and considering the storms and Halloween, go for it. You have till next Sunday November 6th for this Challenge and the Mastheads...BUT we'll start the new challenge tomorrow anyway.

...heard you fuckers liked zombies. Jeez...

Last edited by Ilaekae; October 30th, 2011 at 06:14 PM.

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, that's right. You're in the snow globe. I hope this helps:

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, Councilor. To freshen up your mid morning beverage of choice, I'm sending 6 truckloads of stuff I scraped off my lawn...COD Fedex.

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh i really dont like my entry, prob not even going to enter it but just put it in my sketchbook (beware it sucks huevos) but at least i learned something ( Comicx be hard, at least for me T.T). Im glad there will be a new topic tmrw (had fun so ill play again =D). This time ill start early enough that if i change my mind about stuff Ill still have time to change.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

it looks better on paper ha!

wingal post it anyway we must be brave!
    we'll my first page.... thanks for the extentsion kitty!! my friend gave my a new pen for lettering thank god...........so i can finish (maybe)

Attached Images Attached Images  

59. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1