Sketchbook: Sketchbewk - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchbewk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, some new envs im working on. Dont really do underwater or ice so it's good learning here.
    Will go back to faces and such soon.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing some really nice progress, especially the paintings from reference. The environment in post #75 is crazy, would love to see you using reference more. Keep up the good work!

Available for Freelance - http://www.veshkau.com | Sketchbook | CG Hub | Blog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Veshkau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, thanks very much for the comment man. I will be doing more reference work soon

Here is underwater piece done and im trying a very experimental robot chicken thing with photos, warping and smudge tool.
    Will be posting more of chicken as he develops

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guise,

Quick env from reference and the robot chicken. The tail hasnt gone right, he needs more work obviously but I think I might leave him and try something like this another time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    So here I have a finished illustration for a boardgame cover and the start of a new personal piece.
    Drew a lot of figures today and was pleased, can't scan just now so will upload pencil work tomorrow, actual sketches aha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    Started a fresh sketchbook so here is the first page and some figure drawings. The first figure drawings are based off of sketches by Obier's Sketchbook cause his figures have so much form and beautiful lines. They were only torsos so I added the legs and made little changes. Second sheet is imagination male and quick ref study female.

Then today I stopped trying to create the perfect painting every time I pick up my tablet and let loose and drew some dumb stuff and enjoyed myself

Let me know what you think. x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TFsean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sean,

I thought I'd posted here but I guess I haven't. Great going with your work, the improvement makes me smile. You're doing really good stuff and your digitals have a nice style to them. The only advice I would give is slow down with the pencil work, do a 4/5 hour rendered piece and it will give you a new understanding of light/shadow + amount of time you should be spending on the studies.

I am also 17 and I live in scotland (edinburgh). If I remember right I read about you wanting to apply to glasgow? You started the thread about schooling in the UK and I am in the same boat so I opted for glasgow because after visiting tons of unis I found it was the most "traditional" i.e they actually taught you something and gave huge freedom. So I'll be applying to Glasgow, are you thinking of going there?

Let me know and don't stop what you're doing. Consistency will make you great

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nibras,

I actually applied to Edinburgh after doing a lot of research. I will have a lot of freedom to develop how I wish if I go to either the painting or illustration course which I have both applied to, we'll see if they want me, the instructors are very skilled, if you ask for help they have expertise they can share, found this out from going to the open day. Haven't applied to Glasgow, only Edinburgh. Edinburgh has links with Rhode Island Art institute which I could hopefully do an exchange with in 3rd year

And now for drawings from todayyy. I did what you said Nabris and did a longer render, I think it was about 3-4 hours spend on this girl, not what I wanted it to be but its a start of longer studies. I added a version where I painted a bit in PS cause the scanner made it look really lameee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like some of your work, haven't got much of tips and all that, just keep up working

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MightCrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Veryy good sean, that last rendering looks stellar. It's a shame about you going to Edinburgh, even though I've applied I don't think I am going to go. After spending 8 years here I definitely need a change. I was there at the open day as well Our plans are pretty much the same, I want to go to Glasgow because the student work I saw there was a lot more like what I wanted to achieve (some amazingly technically skilled students). So I talked to them and plus I loved the Mk building. They also do an exchange program with some ateliers so I am going to try and get into that.

Where in Scotland are you?

For your next long study try a self portrait using a mirror. Set up some nice dramatic lighting using a lamp and draw straight from life. This will kick you ass, it's hard but it teaches you a lot. Think a lot about the forms when you're rendering, everytime you don't know the reason why what you're rendering looks like it does run your hands over the contour of your face and feel the bumps and change in form

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MightCrawler - Thanks very much man, keep working I will

@Nibras - Sounds good, I am near Edinburgh, I rather stay around and save money for when I go to study at TAD or something (hopefully).

Ye I havent done a mirror study since literally the start of this sketchbook. I don't have a laptop so I'll see what I can do for little mirrors.

And now for some Art
    Did some studies of gesture drawings from a great gesture guy and then did some normal pencil studies and some headshots, never really done profile studies so this was cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone todays stuff

All from ref today

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TFsean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pencil work! My one crit is that the thighs/legs of some of your figures tend to be a bit large for the torso.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tempest-haze - Thanks very much. Ya I see a couple of them are a little thick thanks for pointing it out

Self portrait from mirror I'm working on, first digital life portraiture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well done so far,avoid using white as a highlight,a bit of your work is looking washed out/chalky which is usually a result of using white to lighten or black to darken.

"The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubian_Greene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nubian - Thanks, I do try to avoid using pure blacks and whites but obviously not enough will pay more attention to that.

Finished the self portrait.
    Also had a little experiment today, it's been a while since I've "let loose" on photoshop so just tried something and felt good to just go for it, not sure if success or failure aha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GUESS WHICH SHEET IS FROM IMAGINATION AND WIN A PRIZE not.

Need to start doing more faces from imagination because I avoid them and then im mad when they suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are improving so fast man, its craazy!

just keep at it! 5*****

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aragah - Thanks very much man, really glad it shows!

Last night I decided to try to paint one of my sketches, might be in here somewhere. Tried once near start of digital painting, total failure. This one went better, want to take it further

And today I did a bunch of speedpaints, they were fun

Let me know what you think

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TFsean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, looking good!
    I really like your studies and your personal stuff is very interesting also, you seem to have a pretty nice sense of colors. I think something you should practice the most is value studies with black and white pictures and also check the values when you work on your own stuff by putting a black saturation layer on top of everything, looking the picture with that layer on once in a while. When you get that your pieces will improve a ton.

Anyway, keep up the studies and drawing in general mate, cheers!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Vablo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vablo! Did exactly as you said and started value studies, here is one.

IVE NEVER HAD SUCH ISSUES TRYING TO GET FACE RIGHT IN MY LIFE I ENDED UP MAKING A ROUGH ONE UP.
    Second face happened very quickly and wasnt an issue at all dno what was up with the first one.

Anyway here are todays studies. I might try and get the face right cuz it makes me mad I couldnt do it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TFsean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies man, the drawings especially. I really dig the landscape study of the house on the hill too. If i were to crit them though, I'd say slowing down and taking the time to get your lines right would help (proportion, angle, etc). You know, when you get past the waist on a figure, make sure that the lines you're drawing are in proportion with what you've drawn previously. I see it in a few of your drawings, but it's a problem I used to have when I started life drawing, making the legs waaaaaaay to big because I was confused about their size since I wasn't comparing/measuring to what I drew before I got there. That's one reason that some people draw with the whole figure in mind AKA gesture. I hope that makes sense or helps a little, it's a bit of a ramble. Oh! and look at negative shapes too if you're having trouble getting your drawing right.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kielbasa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you experiment with such a diversity, looking good! Regarding the figures I think you can try drawing more full-bodied figures, it helps in understanding the weight and balance. It is always easier to render by parts, but the key to it is the weight of the body!
    For the paintings if you are looking to achieve more form and body you can try some blocking studies. I don't think there is any 'right' path to take, just keep the energy and keep pushing to find your way!!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to krypt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kielbasa - Thanks very much man! as youre not the first person to mention the legs on my figures something is clearly quite off about them and i'll be taking extra attention when studying them thanks for making this more apparent I love the ramble, love to hear anyone an artist like yourself has to say

Krypt - Thanks very much! Yes i know what you mean, i really strive for the weight and balance in figures. I will begin drawing a lot more full figures, doing it right now
    Yes ive been thinking of doing more blocked studies for a while. Will start these very soon, thank you

Todays art:

I never draw vehicles or ships so this was an experiment. Both of these were created with the splatter values until you see something method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of your color and shape experimentation is looking good, keep it up!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayHouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from over last 2 days. Not great, just stuff, dno. Art has been annoying last couple days. I have some sketches but have not scanned will be up soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey You're doing a lot of stuff, but for studies I suggest drawing more from life than from photos, seriously it's a difference. Find some models - ask family or mates for even not so long poses and sketch daily - soon You'll see how much improving are poses of your digital characters. Cheers!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hu-ha: Hey! Ye I really want to draw figures from life more but literally not really anyone to draw, maybe start drawing my mum when shes home I want to spend the whole day life drawing. Hopefully get into art school and draw everyone all day

And now for the art, sketches from last couple days, guess whos been playing assassins creed.
    The "Chemical Guard" I painted today, he was a value drawing that I wanted to really try and give weight and solidity to, i really struggle to make characters as solid as I want, frustrating, I max out the value range but i still feel i cant make everything obvious enough, doing something wrong clearly, any help there?
    Then a quick env and I GOT THE FACE ON THE STUDY which im happy about because it previously defreated me I drew all her tattoos and made some final touches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vablo! Did exactly as you said and started value studies, here is one.
    His advice was good stuff, so 2nding that.
    IVE NEVER HAD SUCH ISSUES TRYING TO GET FACE RIGHT IN MY LIFE I ENDED UP MAKING A ROUGH ONE UP.
    Second face happened very quickly and wasnt an issue at all dno what was up with the first one.
    Here's something that pretty much blew my mind - Studies can look like absolute crap and still be successful. It's about learning- not making pretty. If your doing a value study, let the face look like crap. (Unless it's a value study of the face....)
    Time spent mucking around fixing stuff, isn't time learning new stuff. Save fixing for illustrations or show pieces, not studies
    Hu-ha: Hey! Ye I really want to draw figures from life more but literally not really anyone to draw, maybe start drawing my mum when shes home I want to spend the whole day life drawing. Hopefully get into art school and draw everyone all day
    I try to carry a sketchbook with me everywhere. You never know when you'll find a place to squeeze in a few sketches. Subway is my favorite- but there's also waiting rooms, bank lines, bus stop, sitting in the car while someone runs into the store- anywhere.
    If there are no people draw something else. Old boots and bags are really good for practicing structure, shading, gesture - draw those. Draw the cat, draw the lamp - open the fridge and draw what's in there.
    There's always something to draw.

There's lots of improvement in here since I last dropped by. Keep up the good fight
    I really like the loose gestures in post 103. In my SB you mentioned my control over the form- it was combo of loose gesture (my favorite thing ever) and really boring anatomy studies that got me this far.

Happy sketching

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy cow, you improved a lot in the last months!

The level of detail is just too high in some pictures and doesn´t benefit your finished work in any way, in my opinion.
    I would love to see some environments, where you don´t rely so much on custom brushes. Just focus on values and get the feeling of depth right.

Keep going!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to KiBa For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 40