Warrior/Mage woman
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Warrior/Mage woman

My first post. I don't know where to go from here. I've refined it as much as my mind will let me. I know it's far from finished though.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by barretxiii; October 1st, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's no reason to not have this sized down for easier viewing, especially since it appears digital to begin with.

Now on to the critique:

It looks like you need to go back a few steps and really work out the forms of the body. The proportions are off, and some of the forms aren't laying properly like they should. The hands/wrists could certainly use some attention - what's great is you can use your own for reference! Also, the pose itself is a little strange - the looking over the shoulder and holding the glowing thing in the hand I get - but why would anyone hold a blade like that?

Figure out the forms/musculature, and then you can lay the clothes on top. THEN paint.

Also: reference, reference, reference!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're in the situation of having some really nice polish, but the fundamentals aren't quite there to back it up. The face is suffering a bit from the type of nose that (don't want to get offensive here) beginners usually use; long straight shaft with a very round bit at the end. The shape of the ear, the neck and especially the deltoid all holds this back from looking real despite the lighting and texture.

That shoulder is so round and the transition from it to the triceps is so perfect that it seems as if we're looking at a piece of molded plastic rather than a taught segment of skin and flesh. There are very few "simple curves" in nature, that is there are next to no perfect curves that don't change their angle or direction very quickly. Quick paintover to show what i mean;

Name:  3c0cqgml.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  174.0 KB

The cloth and hair could use a lot of work (in this image and in future studies). Right now it all looks too limp and doesn't have much in the way of folds. Lastly, you could stand to lighten up her lowest areas, they're so dark right now it's hard to figure out what's going on.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to you both for the advice. Both were very informative, especially the second one for giving me a visual aid. I'll try to look out for those mistakes in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Modified Face

I made some modifications similar to the image posted by Jason Rainville. Liquified the shoulder back, altered its form, slightly shortened the nose and articulated on it a bit more. Still far from done, but "slow and steady wins the race."

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good control of textures in the skin and the clothing, but the hair could use some work. I always try to define the hair using simple shapes of value first (with some blending) and then pop a few strands out to describe the texture and flow. The construction of the neck looks a lot better in your update!

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 1