Art: Sculpting, need pro advice

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Sculpting, need pro advice

Hello, Im new to sculpting and would like some advice. I want to make a model of the Marker from Dead Space. Approx 14-18" tall. Im assuming I start with modeling clay, some sculpting tools and alot of patience. Can anyone recommend the best clay, tools, paint, etc. that would be required for this project? Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Don't use modeling clay, use sculpy, make or buy some little sculpting tools, { basic is good enough for now,} and plan out your sculpt. If it has outreaching parts you will need to make a wire armature and fasten it to a base evenutally, if not right away. Use your fingers as much as you can, and read some of the excellent tutorials up at the top of the page, its called " Sticky" Good luck, it's mostly trial and error...have fun,

Mah ' Crub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mah Crub. Gona spend some time planning and gettin the supplies together. Will try to get pics up soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use super sculpy, the beige stuff. NOT the white. The white is more brittle when baked. Also, go to your dentist and ask if he has any broken tools. Mine had a ton of them that he GAVE to me! Print out a pic of the tower to the size you want it to be, then build it with foil wrapped tightly in tape. Then start slapping on clay. get it bulked out (1/4" thinner than it should be) and bake it for the base sculpt. Then when it cools, go back in and add another layer to start adding all the fun stuff. It might be easiest to add the final layer in FIRM sculpy as you are going to have to carve all sorts of glyphs into it. you may find it easiest to do one side of one spire at a time and bake them as you go so you don't screw the "done work" up.

We'll help if you send pix!

Last edited by philofmars; October 5th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
    www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.