View testimonialsGet Two Free Art Videos

Thread: Candy Cave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Candy Cave

I am struggling with this. The story is basically the story of Hansel & Gretel but the gingerbread house is made of rock candy and is in a cave. The witch character put candy all over the place to lure kids to her lair. I still have to flesh out the house.

I would like to hear peoples initial reactions. Is it interesting? what do you want to see more of? is it a good enough start to spend 8hrs finishing it up? or any other comments you might have.
    Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really confused. So I see someone standing on a cliff of some sorts on the left, overlooking a house in the middle, yes? It's very confusing. I think your biggest error right now is that the image has to be explained to tell what is happening. The image should speak for itself.

Right now, nothing looks like rock candy. I also think there's too many clashing colors.. and against the brown, it gets more confusing. Play around with more ideas. What if the cave was made entirely of rock candy too? Maybe more unified colors? The cave could be a pink rock candy cave with a blue rock candy house in the middle? I don't know, just throwing out some ideas. Use colors to your advantage!

Why is the house so small? That should be your focal point! Cropping it to include the house would make it easier to read.

And more candy!!

Good luck.

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog || deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply Blazin. That's exactly the kind of response i was looking for. I need to work more on communicating the intent and story of the piece. Right now it's struggling. Thanks for the color ideas too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Candy Castle update

I've taken the comments into consideration. How is this working? Any comments would be helpful. Even a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. I'm really curious as to how people are reacting to the piece. I feel i struggle the most in my work with communicating the idea and making it very appealing. Please tell me if I am on the right track with this one. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea here a lot better! This image makes much more sense, but color is gonna be tricky. I tried a candy-infested piece a while back and the explosion of different colors was a painful thing to look at. You're on the right track I think, but you might play around with different angles and arrangements of the objects in the foreground? The foreground isn't nearly as interesting right now and is sort of falling flat rather than effectively pointing to the house. Just my opinion! Cool piece overall!

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rseward For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments and kind words Rseward!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my initial reaction to a candy cave is: dear santa...

that said i still dont see a candy cave here. focus is better but i dont get the feeling that this is candy. maybe make a trip to the mall and buy some refrence material (ie rock candy). you can use complimentary colours of candy if your worried to much about colour clashes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jyoung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help Jyoung!
    I am trying to go for a Candy Castle within a cave. In my story it was built by a bat, which is why it's in a cave, to lure children. I will "candy" it up as i progress on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the latest image and I think it gets across the idea of candy a lot better than the first one. There isn't much of a story implied tho, is there supposed to be anything going on in the piece? Children finding the house or something? I think it would really add another level the the piece, even if it would be just indications of a evil witch inhabiting the house.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is a cracking idea !!

I just love it when someone leaps off at a tangent, but I'm going to be devils advocate here and say I liked the first one better. It just needed two kids much bigger and closer in looking around int total amazement or some other shoked pose.

All the versy best with this one I love it already just because of the idea.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Suncut! thanks for the post, i'm working on adding some very tiny characters to the piece right now. I'll post soon, let me know what you think. I will also see if i can fit the witch in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lightship, i liked the graphic design better of the first and I appreciate the kind words. I will definitely return to the first piece once the current piece is done. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Castle update

I've added a few things, and some tiny people. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey I like the latest one,
    but if I was going to complain about anything it would be the kids in the bottom right, you have to search for them at the moment so I would make them bigger. They are one of the main points of the story and need a bigger role in the image.
    Also the slope on the bridge is a little too epic as well, you couldnt walk up it you would have to climb.
    I am also struggling with the light sources at the moment, I am not sure if its me though so I woint comment just yet until I have worked out what my problem is, It could just be me.

all the best matey

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with lightship69, the kids are really tiny and hard to find, it's almost as if you don't want them there ruining your image. I'm still a bit unsure here, are you looking to make an illustration with narrative, or a pretty environment piece? If you just want to do an environment you don't need to go adding people against your will. If you are looking to tell a story usually you start by picking a thumbnail where you feel the story is getting communicated best. I get the feelin the kids are so small now because you don't want to change the piece by adding them, if that's the case maybe just leave them out and do another illustration later where you focus on storytelling fron the start.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept. I hate to stand athwart your progress and yell "stop," but the forms are still not immediately reading as candy, which I think is critical here. Once I've been told that it's a candy house, I can identify a donut (which looks like someone sat on it), a peppermint, a chocolate bar, and a petit-four--but even then, everything else in the picture reads as colorful plastic, not candy. If it were me, I'd find some actual candy and study it more closely.

Also, if the point of the building is to lure children in, I don't think it's gonna work. Those kids are going to need ropes and pitons to get up the surface of that donut.

In short: my advice is to take a step back and focus on the concept and the design before you even think about lighting and composition.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giacomo, thanks for your frank honesty. I really need to hear those kind of comments, the piece means nothing if it can not be understood. The thought had occurred to me to make the castle more accessible but i didn't want to fuss with it, thanks for the motivation to solve that problem!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Frank honesty"...I like that! (Most people use...another word.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, if you want some inspiration, check out the work of the woman at the link below. Pretty much the industry benchmark in confectionery rendering, if you ask me.

http://www.reptillian.com/index.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Thanks everyone for the all of the help! I think i'm just about ready to call this one done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig it. It's looking great and is now beyond my ability to crit. I think you really nailed that cool, majestic cave look.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet, thanks Rseward.

Lightship and Suncut thanks for the advice. I did take your comments into consideration when finalizing the piece. I tried to post a thank you yesterday but for some reason it would not post...anyway Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your second version looks great! Those jagged edges on the top left are super distracting though. Maybe find a way to soften the form and vary the size? I think you can find an interesting mix of stalactites and icecream/candy-ness to put in there. I'd also probably move the candycane to the extreme foreground and use it to frame the image.

If you want some painting inspiration there's always Will Cotton http://www.willcotton.com/

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Iridyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link Iridyse. Cotton has an amazing painting of a gingerbread house, it makes me want to try harder. I will address the distracting jagged edges. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.