Sketchbook: Sketchbook Vers. 1.0 - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Vers. 1.0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Valyavande that is some really constructive and helpful feedback. Thank you!!

------

Ok, a little more time with the ipad. I'm sort of getting used to this and art studio is an amazing app. Probably use this the most now. I really love it, we'll worth the purchase. I just want to be able to do something credible with it.

Here's some random studies and sketches...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  96.6 KB
Views: 247
Size:  124.6 KB
Views: 250
Size:  82.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. The facial studies are definitely helping, so stick with those.

So far as painting on the iPad goes, I prefer the app 'Procreate'. It seems to have the most flexibility for painting and the interface is very clean. (It's like working in Photoshop, almost, but obviously without the pressure sensitivity you'd get with a real computer/tablet situation.) Art studio isn't too shabby.. There are a quite a few iPad apps that are decent for this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark thanks so much I have Pro Create...I really like it. I have also tried many others...Sketchbook Pro, Brushes, Brushes 3, Art Rage and Sketchclub. I am really settling down with Art studio. I love it. Working with the iPad is fast becoming my preferred method. I want to get confident with it indoors, through more still life then I want to go Plein Air with it

It's good to see you back!

------

More Art Studio on my iPad. First one is 3 quick warm up studies and the second one is a wip of a longer study. I want to make a good job of this one.

Views: 226
Size:  122.9 KB
Views: 231
Size:  64.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice skulls. Were they done from reference or from memory?

Everything is currently feeling a bit blurry -- make sure you tighten up at least one area so you have a crisp focal point. (Even with a quick study - it doesn't take long and it'll make things feel more finished. Or if you're looking to keep things loose, just up the opacity of whichever brush you're using when so things feel a bit less mushy with your final strokes.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks loads. They are from ref. I tried to sharpen the fron of the face with harder brushes and softer in the shadows...will keep up with the facial features. Cheers....

------

More on ipad with the skull. The teeth were, and still are, a major challenge.

Views: 218
Size:  60.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely a bit better this time around with the crispness.

It's extremely difficult to paint with proficiency on the iPad because it's so clunky to work with (no pressure sensitivity, small screen, etc.), but that last one isn't too shabby. Keep doing studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks! Yes it is darn hard...I like it though. However I'm back to using the laptop now. I do want to get out with the ipad for some plein air though.

------

Ok, here's some more.

Feature studies

Name:  features-studies.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  133.4 KB

A study from a photograph, found this hard...fun though, and learnt some.

Name:  portrait-study.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  80.8 KB

....and a study from Zhang Lu. Yep, I been watching that dvd again. Enjoyed doing this so much. But, still finding eyes so hard to get right.

Name:  portrait-study2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  64.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, not too much to say except keep going.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks for the support

------

Some more....A study of a cast from a photo. I should have pushed values a lot more in this one. This was quite challenging. It's also not proportionally correct. Which was frustrating. However, I was fairly happy with capturing the reflected light under the chin

Name:  cast-study.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  68.0 KB

Tried doing another study from Zhang Lu, It didn't go well...so I wiped it and started again, then started to lose concentration. I have work to think about in the morning and these thoughts were not helping relax and get into it.

Name:  afterzhanglu111112.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  74.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress happening here! I would suggest trying to take a few pieces further towards completion - it can be surprising how much you can learn in a short while when you have to "finish" a piece!

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AllyAlbon Hey Thanks for dropping by. You are right, I should go for something more finished. I've been wanting to get a self portrait to a more finished state. Thing is, I get to the initial lay in and base value, then find it hard where to go. So I guess observation is key here. I appreciate your advice.

------

Ok, back to basics and "primitive" tools. Felt like working in pencils in my moleskine. Want to pay this book more attention. These studies are actually from drawings found HERE. Lots of goodies there.

Name:  skull-studies.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  315.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are improving constantly and nicelly i love this page and the studies you do.Breaking your theme into planes seeing and designing them correctly is super crucial ,iam not there yet but i know it when i see it.Nice work with the skulls,its nice to follow the direction of the planes with your strokes,cheers and have fun

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dimi Thanks for visiting and your comments

-----

More pencils today. This time on normal copy paper. I also did some self portrait studies, I want to work on a finished piece as Ally mentioned, so I thought a self portrait would be cool to do. I have given myself a month to get it done. I dont want want to upload the self studies, everything is way off. Hopefully I'll get it down before the month "deadline".

So, this one I actually did last night after I uploaded the skulls above. From life.

Name:  lifestudy.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  140.9 KB

Started doing this tonight after self portrait studies. It is from a photograph. Really need to work to darker values.

Name:  photostudy.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  203.7 KB

C&C always appreciated.

Last edited by Damien Levs; November 13th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right about needing a bit more contrast with your digital studies, but the traditional ones don't look too bad in that area. (It could maybe be pushed a bit more, but you seem to at least be getting enough variation to make the majority of the different planes you're rendering visible.)

I really like that page of skulls from the moleskine. Looks pretty cool, actually.

Ally is definitely right about finishing pieces -- when you force yourself to finish one, you have to deal with it and it makes you learn what you need to. (It's that final push to finish that so much happens to bring a piece together, so it's important to be able to make yourself do it.) You should try doing a master study -- I find doing those to be helpful when I'm having trouble trying to finish pieces. (Because you're essentially copying, so it removes some of the pressure, but it still walks you through the steps you need to finish a piece up. It always makes me feel a bit more confident because I see that I can do it, so I just need to do what I just did to the piece I'm having trouble finalizing. If that makes any sense at all. XD)

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Incredible advice thank you so much I'll be sure to do a master study!

------

Ok, today's this started out as from life....again started to lose concentration and sort of just started making it up. Not having so much fun today I feel mega tired from work...and frustration kicks in when I'm trying to push things. I need to rest...hopefully a better image for you guys tomorrow.

Name:  portrait-study2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  58.8 KB

Oh yeah...did this little guy to go for something fun. He cheered me up some 'lil wobot guy...

Name:  wobot.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  25.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening folks. Today I decided to take Riley Stark's advice and try some master studies. Both of these are after Sargent. Sorry Mr. Sargent but I really enjoyed these. Learnt quite a bit, and woo Some colour!!! Proportions are off again, WAY off, problems with eyes as usual. Just keep practising right?

Name:  AfterSargent0001.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  125.3 KB
    Name:  AfterSargent0002.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  65.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only one image for an update I am afraid. Did a screenshot study from LOTR. I used a standard hard round brush with no opacity. I wanted to concentrate on brush strokes and colour. Was quite a challenge, but I found this fun to do. It is really really hard to gain a likeness of the person. Going to keep practising.

------

Name:  screencap1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  82.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more from today.

Self Portrait, using a mirror

Name:  selfportrait0001.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  56.9 KB

Banana from life.

Name:  bananalife.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  88.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy your traditional work. Your digital work is coming along well also. The comfort with that medium will surely come with practice. ^_^

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UmpaArt Thanks for dropping by. I really want to improve in all assets, but I just have so much fun recently in digital. I used to get so frustrated with it, but that seems to have passed. Just having a blast really now, even if things are not working out. Eventually, hopefully they will.

------

Here some from tonight. Didn't get much chance. Went to see my parents. Here's some quick thumbs to just play around. I quite like the first guy. I was quite loose with him, then when I tried the next ones I sort of started...trying too hard? So they didn't work out as well. this always seems to happen with thumbs. I get the first one I like, then when I try to come up with more, I feel not so relaxed or loose. Does anyone know how I mean with this?

Name:  thumbs.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  105.8 KB

This second one is of an ornament we have, I decided to drop a tea light candle into her tray, light her up and paint Really enjoyed this one, quite happy with it.

Name:  Colourstudy.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  52.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketchbook. i always admire hard work, like the way you are drawing from life, your mind and photo ref, you pencil rendering is really improving quickly. You are def moving in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy thanks for the positive feedback in my sketchbook, did a little search online and found this life drawing class, seems its run on sunday 11-1

not sure if its close to you or mega far. Anyway just incase here is the link

http://www.asksid.net/kb5/sheffield/...rd=dpyJmPrHrQs

Also depends on how heavy a Saturday you have had also LOL.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ja1307 Thanks for dropping by man!! Twice..haha. Also mega thanks for the link to life drawing and your supportive comments. It seems super cheap also!!! I'm going to look into that. I get Saturdays from work

------

Ok here's today's. Tried another self portrait with a mirror. I'm almost ashamed to upload it. But, meh...Self portraits are hard...I started out quite well i thought then I just started to lose it. Eyes again...so hard...need to do many many more of these!

Name:  Shittyportrait.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  51.6 KB

and....another movie still after I butchered my face. Ha, film stills are fun

Name:  filmshot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  99.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some random enviro thumbs. I haven't done much over the past few days. Starting to feel a little discouraged. Mainly my own mental games right now :/ I need to push through this. Maybe more painting from life can help this, or some master studies...I don't know. See what happens.

Name:  envirothumbs01.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  123.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After John Singer Sargent

Name:  afterSargent.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  104.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random junk from imagination...need to study more...

------

Name:  imagination.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  56.9 KB
    Name:  envirothumbs01.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  196.1 KB
    Name:  poop.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  156.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies from today...

Tried doing some 60 second gestures for warm ups. Tried a digital and some pencil. All from photo ref. I feel like I should stick with the pencils before all the digital stuff. Rendering on these is poor and I think it would be good to stay with pencil from here on in. I keep saying I am going to do loads of stuff. But, maybe I am trying to run before I can walk.

What would you suggest? Stay with pencils and get real comfortable with those first?

------

Name:  Gestures0001.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  84.0 KB
    Name:  study281112.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  246.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Damien, great to see you still pushing forward. I like the range of work you are doing and I think your digital work and pencil work both look about the same level, which I think is good if you can keep improving them both. As to your question, why don't you try a 50/50 approach for whatever you are drawing. I think maybe it is more important what we draw and how often than what we use at these early stages. What do you think?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thanks for the comment I think you are right. Probably better to just keep going with both. Sometimes I feel like doing pencils and sometimes digital. I thought maybe it would be better to stick to one medium. But, yes, I will continue to try and improve both.

------

Some more gestures and skull studies.

Name:  Gestures0002.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  117.8 KBName:  Gestures0003.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  114.1 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  378.1 KB

Thanks