Sketchbook: Sketchbook Vers. 1.0 - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Vers. 1.0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thank you for your comment and welcoming me to the group. I answered your questions in your thread as you know now

Mat Kaminski Thanks Yes I really that way of shading and will definitely try to improve this...

triggerpigking Thanks for dropping by. I just checked out your sketchbook, I will leave you some words when I have moment later. I just need to get things ready for work at the moment. Cheers for the welcome.

bobtail Hey Thanks for stopping by. I do use a hard round brush most of the time. I don't touch opacity really. Most of these images are done with different demo software and open source, so there are some varied effects. the eyes (the most recent) are done with a program called Krita. Really amazing, but very buggy at the moment as it is new. The really soft looking ones earlier on this page are actually done with blending my pencil work in Corel Sketchpad. Just experimenting a little really. I will drop by your thread soon.

--------

Ok, This weekend has been a bit crazy. I am moving house soon (PANIC!) Also today was fathers day and I forgot But I spent the whole day with my father at a model airshow. It was pretty cool. Got some good reference. Father also gave me a ton of photos from my parents holiday recently. Some epic landscape there. I will be sure to studies of them.

But, unfortunately this is all I have to show. 1 hour screencap for fun and trying to get more into colour....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too shabby for an hour. However -- don't paint with black. It will make your work look flat every time (because it sucks the life out of any colors you have around it -- same goes for painting with white). Black and white actually don't really exist in real life (outside of being a local color) because they always absorb/reflect the other colors around them, tinting them various shades so they're never truly those colors when you see them around. (Which is why they'll kill your color work fairly quickly -- the eye knows they're wrong, even if the brain doesn't entirely know why yet.) Always works in shades of color for your shadows and highlights and your colors will look much more realistic and vibrant.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks a bunch. I have seen people mention this in a whole lot of places...and yet here I am not heeding that advice. Dont paint with true black...from now on...I shall not. Thanks a lot!

-----

Here another screen cap from today. Mordor! Enviro are so hard to do. But mainly in my heart, this is what I want to do so much. More than anything really. I just seem to avoid it because I find them so difficult. I dont want to avoid this practice no more....

...Just wish I had more time to paint!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, so you are trying to do environments ultimately too huh?

A quick suggestion... Try using a harder brush up front. It'll make the details pop faster.

Better color palette on this one though versus the hulk one.

I'll have to try these as well... screencaps.

Good luck on the move. And try to remain stressfree

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Damien I'm a bit of a LOTR fan myself so I like this last one. I think you have done well with it, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LoTR has some great opportunities for studies -- awesome environments, detailed characters, cool lighting.. Definitely a good choice. (Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll do a quick one today also. ^_^) I suck with environments too, so I tend to avoid doing them as well. (I find them so much more difficult than painting characters! Environments me want to pull my hair out.)

I feel like you could make the lava and eye area a bit hotter. They're not reading as 'firey' to me just at the moment because there's not enough contrast. If you do a quick convert to b&w, the eye almost completely vanishes because it's the same value as the clouds behind it. The lava has the same problem. Really push the values/saturations in those areas and it'll make the piece sing. Right now my eye is going straight to the bottom of the clouds around the tower on the left (because that's the area with the most contrast) and I'm getting stuck there. (It's always a good idea to do a quick check of values as you go, just to make sure they're working well. It can really be helpful while you're doing studies, especially, so you start associating colors and their values together.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mat Kaminski Thank you I do not mean to do just enviro...I just want to do them more. Thanks for the advice!

Marian Rowling Thank you so much Marian. LOTR is epic in vast proportion. I will drop by your thread soon and see what you have been up to.

Riley Stark Thanks. Yeah LOTR is packed full of goodies regarding enviro, industrial design and, well everything. It's monstrous. Thank you for this insightful information.

------

Ok, just a few "back to basics" for today. My fundamentals are fundamentally grotesque...so...as well as everything else, need to concentrate on construction...

Also, done with a basic Bic pen. Bic Crystal, it's weird how much I enjoy using these to draw. Much more than pencil...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, keep using that pen, because it looks great.

I think more than anything using pen forces you to focus on the form and use very confident strokes. If anything else, you'll be developing your hand to eye when it comes to the paper.

Looking great, and also, great ellipses on those cups. That's hard to do with a pencil, let alone a pen.

It can't hurt to do more full anatomy studies or perhaps more face studies. Although it seems like you're having fun with those screen caps. Just keep plugging away.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pen stuff. I agree with Mat -- those cups look pretty good. Nice line quality, too. Good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mat Kaminski Indeed, using the pen is forcing me to think more and commit to the decisions I make. But I still don't understand why I feel more confident using the pen rather than a pencil. However you can get light and dark marks with a ballpoint pen, you just can't erase them..

Riley Stark Thank you! I cant thank you enough for letting me join this SSG...it's really great to have people crit and help. I find that I am having more fun with the whole "we're in this together thing". Hats off!

------

Ok, This is what I have managed after work today. An enviro from a film shot (I cant remember which film) using a standard hard round brush and more ballpoint pen, all drawn from life.

G'night CA!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's definitely much easier to be motivated when you're working with a group. (We're glad to have you. ^_^)

Nice update. Loving the pen stuff again. (I especially like the hair on your heads -- hair is something I always have a hard time with. No patience for it, which I have to get over.. obviously.)

Good job on not using any black to paint the environment. Nice contrast in the piece, too.

Keep up the good work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel bad for saying ive never actually watched Lord of the Rings..yeah feel free to stone me now.

I need to get back into doing that sort of line shading you did with them portraits as soon as I get a new mechanical pencil I used to love doing that sort of shading especially with portraits and manga drawings but I just sort of stopped when I stopped doing portraits for a while.

Anyway great work keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great improvement dude ! your digital painting skill has grown really well.. good luck, keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks! I managed to make it to my parents and steal their webs. So here's the best so far out of what I have done.

triggerpigking I seriously recommend taking a day out and watching the lot. LoTR are a great run of films!!! Just keep practicing man, anything and everything. You will get there.

Vins_2011 Hey man, good to see you back. Thanks!!

------

Ok, as some are aware, I have just moved house and don't get any internet until the 20th. However I managed to make it over to my parents...thus stealing their wifi...

...With moving house I really haven't had much chance to do much in the way of study. But here's some best of what I have managed.

1. Feng Zhu Study (Trying to see his colour palette)
    2. Feng Zhu Study (For fun and confidence builder)
    3. Enviro from imagination...
    4. A study of a military vehicle I did from a photo I took at an air show.

Thanks and I will be back around the 20th to update....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude great sketch book man. Liking the paints and the recent perspective things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pete Hidalgo Thanks for dropping by I really appreciate your comment.

------

Ok, We have been moving house and only just got our internet installed. Things have calmed down now. It's all been very crazy. Now it's time to get back on track with studies and some fun despite the fact I am off to Finland next week. So I will be absent for a while again, but I am hoping to get lots of life sketches down on my travels. Perfect opportunity ....so here we go.

1. Another colour study of Feng Zhu
    2. Freehand perspective in pen. Trying to get those straight lines using arm movement. I want to practice this more.
    3. Jaguar XKR Study from a photo I took in ballpoint pen. The wheels went funky but I am wanting to get some colour on this. I love this car!

PS. I love ballpoint pen! So much!

More to come. Peace guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back! ^_^

Awesome perspective studies! (Perspective is one area I find difficult and should definitely do more studies for.)

Some cool environment stuff going on. I like the one with the blue sky and the jets best - there is some cool stuff happening with light in the reflections of the paths of water on the ground.

Keep it up!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The environments and the perspective studies look quite promising.
    Definetely keep it up.
    In case you're interested I would suggest reading this:
    http://www.amazon.de/dp/0823005674/r...SIN=0823005674

22. The Following User Says Thank You to shockowaffel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thanks so much. I need to pay more attention to perspective, which I started doing in this next update, but started to lose concentration and then just randomly splashed around value :/ Had fun though.

shockowaffel Thanks and kudos on the book recommendation I have just got Jack Hamm's Drawing Landscape and Scenery, but when I get round to purchasing another book I'll take a look at this. Cheers.

-----

Today's...

1. Painted from life. Found this challenging.
    2 & 3. Imagination while listening to Feng Zhu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Damien really good progress. I can see you have discovered the wonders of the bic biro, they are great to draw with. I really think you did a good job with the ellipses on the cups in post #127 and the perspective on the car is getting there as well. Listening to Feng Zhu will only do you good as will all these studies. Keep at it you are doing well, and I hope you've settled in well to your new home.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just doing random stuff can be helpful - nothing wrong with a bit of randomness at all. ^_^

You seem to have a decent handle on using your values, but I would love to see you push one of these environments to a more finished state. (Just so we can see what level you're at for ability to finish things. This is where you'll see the areas you need to study the most. Like, I have trouble with showing different textures towards the ends of a piece, so I know that's an area I have to work on.. but I wouldn't know that if I didn't try to push a piece to finish and, inevitably, run into that problem. When you do rough work / sketches / speedpaints, you can disguise a lot more of your trouble areas than when you try to finish something up.)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thanks loads I am really loving the Bic Ballpoint. For some reason I feel more confident using pen than I do pencil. I think it is because I am actually making decisions about putting the line down before I do. It also stops me erasing mistakes and forces me to deal with them when they happen. I will definitely be listening to Feng, his words just inspire me to work.

Riley Stark Cheers I will certainly work something up more. I actually like the comp I did with the guy on the mount in front of that house thing in my last update. I think I will get this down again, but properly using perspective, and then work it up into a more complete piece. Guy on mount approaching a creepy house in the woods. Nothing totally original at all, but I do like the idea of that comp.

-----

Ok, here's today's

1. Glass from life. Top ellipses went crazy :/
    2. A wolf from photo, and started a raven...
    3. Colour study from one of my girlfriends photos. I painted with no pen pressure and just threw down the colour. I actually feel I learnt some by doing this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update!

As you mentioned the top of the glass is a bit wonky, but not terrible. (Ellipses are surprisingly tricky to do!) The glass feel a bit flat to me (but it might have to do with the perspective of the glass - like the sides are more pointed than round), or it might be the hatching. (Maybe because it's straight lines - it's maybe flattening things out instead of the shading looking like it's wrapping around the glass?) I do like the changes in value/lighting towards the bottom of the glass, that's pretty cool. ^_^

Nice work with the fur on the wolf. (Maybe a little flat looking on the side of the wolf's muzzle, but that could have to do with the contrast maybe getting a bit blown out in the scan. Values are just very similar in that area so it's all melting together a bit.)

The last environment looks pretty good to me. Nice use of color and the values look pretty spiff. Sometimes when you take away options it really forces you to think about what you're doing - taking away the pen pressure would make you be have to be careful about the colors you're putting down and the values you're using because you have no option for small adjustments or blending later on.. Every stroke counts. Nice to hear you got something good out of it -- came out pretty well!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good freehand pen sketches. I was wanting to switch over to pen but I feel I should keep my pencil studies up and running.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man! The only advice I can really offer is to try to introduce some more harder edges into your work, it really helps to push focal points and helps the overall read of the piece. Otherwise keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riley Stark Thank you so much for that feedback! It is always appreciated.

Pete Hidalgo Thanks. I feel pen is a good tool for studies, as I explained earlier. It makes you think about decisions before committing to them.

Psychobuddy Thank muchly I'll take note of that. Now I am using harder brushes that should become more apparent.

------

Ok, I am afraid this is all I have managed for tonight. I am off to Finland the day after tomorrow so I believe this will be last update until I return. I need to pack tomorrow I have plans of doing a lot of sketches while I am there. Bought a new travel book and everything. So I will have a big update when I get back. I WILL!!

Bye for now CA...I'll be missing you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes, a vacation will do the art spirit good! I'll be excited to see how you did when you get back. BUT remember... a vacation should also be about relaxation. So have a good one, see you when you get back

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So jealous you are traveling to finland. Get some good studies in man looking forward to what you bring home.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mat Kaminski Hey Thanks, had a great time in Finland!

Pete Hidalgo Finland is beautiful, the land, the people and the culture. It's my third time I have been there now. We go to visit my girlfriends family. I want to move there so bad!

-----

Well, I am back from Finland. Been back almost a week now. Had some serious post travel blues. Getting back into reality and such. My 3rd time being there and still in love with that place. I want to be there on a permanent basis...maybe sometime in the future, who knows?!

I know I said i'd do sketches while over there...but to be honest, I didn't get any done I feel pretty bad about that! Got a ton of photos though, so at least plenty of reference

So...it's time to get things going here again now I'm picking myself up again. Coming back to England always gets me hella down after I've been away!

Just some objects from life today...staying freehand to try and get those straight lines.

Peace guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see ya back.
    Likin the objects youve drawn you've given me a few ideas for stuff to draw I usually like to draw more traditional still-lifes like bowls of fruit and stuff.
    btw I love that wolf you drew a few pages back

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3