Follows
    Following
    ...up...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final for C.o.W. I feel ok with this but a little bit...meh...could have thought things through more. Learnt quite a lot. It was fun. Looking forward to trying another....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 sketches...

1. Tried a self portrait. Very difficult. Going to try more...
    2. Trying out Sketchbook Pro...Love the program...but a crappy sketch...

All in all feel pretty bad about these. But uploading them will give me the satisfaction of deleting them from my HD. Going to carry on...more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Damien your insect looks good and well done on your self portrait. They are very hard to do at first. You have made a good start with yours. The proportions and values don't look bad at all. Build on what you've done here to do another you'll be amazed at how quickly you can improve by doing self portraits.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thanks again I seriously appreciate your continual support. I want to try self portraits more often...maybe one a day...I hope it will lead to faster improvement....

...speaking of which....

1. Another selfie. Using mirror.
    2. Some random quick perspective...thing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3rd selfie....I need to study my own eyes and practice them. However this is starting to look somewhat like me. My pencils are so scruffy looking. Scratchy. I need to try and take more care over rendering....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Damien, I think you also have the line round the bottom on the nose and nostrils too hard, but I can see the improvement already in these three self portraits. Keep it up you are doing well.

Ooh forgot to say, nearly, that when I struggle with a certain feature I often to some studies of just them on their own. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thanks Marian...I need to study harder, your right about certain features. Thanks

up...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    someday's....just feel like giving up... maybe tomorrow will be better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I really like this last one Damien, you've beautifully captured your soulful mood. Well done, your hard work and effort is paying off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thanks so much I need to pay a visit to your thread!!! Will do in a mo...

Well, today...I thought I would have a blast at the IDW this week...Thing is I just wont get it finished. Knowing this I started to get evermore frustrated...Thing is I believe I am trying to fly before I can flap my wings. Maybe I should just stick with doing studies...then when I feel I am losing concentration, move on to just having some fun...

That's what I did today and I feel better for it.

1. IDW Attempt
    2. Study from one of my own photos. No colour picking from the photo. Trying to "see" the colours.
    3. 10 Mins of fun

PS. I quit smoking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. Here's today's update. Studies from life and a portrait from imagination...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, hey Damien, well done on quitting smoking! Not easy at all, I know I smoked for over 20 years and quit about 5 years ago. Hope you managed to make it through this first few weeks which I found the hardest.

Good going on your Knight study I think you were getting there with that one. The proportions on the still life look good as does your painted apple. I think you need to make the head a little wider in your portrait from imagination as at the moment the eyes seem a bit too big. What you are doing is good though and you should always do what you enjoy and keep it fun. I read far too many sketchbooks here where others are unhappy with what they are doing because they feel they should be doing hundreds of studies or finished work. We are just learning so at the moment I feel it's important to draw what you enjoy. Then when we get stuck we can do a study to get a better understanding and then draw something fun again to see what we have learned.

Of course some people, like me, just do enjoy doing studies and I am happy with that for now, but we are all interested in many different things. Draw what you enjoy, don't over think it and you will then find it easier and naturally start drawing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Thank you very much Marian. Well...with having a regular job, I have to keep my drawing and painting for evenings and I only get a few hours...So I do mainly what I feel like doing. But I am also trying to study. Some days when I am at work, I'll think "I fancy doing a still life object tonight" or maybe I'll just do something for fun...

...I think it all counts. I mean, I really want to get better and get to a high standard. But I'm not counting on getting that high profile concept art gig. I think things become too stressful when you have that standard in mind. However, maybe the day will come where I feel confident enough to try. If in the future I get some gigs to do client work. FANTASTIC! Until then...I will just try to get better step by step, nice and easy...and no stress...Art is supposed to be fun, right...

...even though I do get frustrated with my standard. Because I want to make super images and I guess that means secretly, I do want this full time...I'm just taking my sweet time about it...because, I don't get much of it...

...A little bit a day.

Here's todays, tried doing a raven from photo...feel like fail. It looks so flat. Comparing it with the apple I did yesterday (Which I think has at least some form). But that just goes to show what happens when you "study" from photos. Must do more from life...But none the less, another footprint in progress. I hope...

...Just an extra thought...I have, somewhere, a stuffed crow. I'm going to dig him out and draw him from life...and see how results compare...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi just wanted to drop by and say that i enjoyed flicking through your sketchbook. You have made loads of progress im envious! The skull was incredible! thats some ace work there.

Im in no place to critique your work to the degree others can, i noticed a couple of things though.

1.) when doing perspective studies make sure the vanishing points are level and correctly aligned, this will make sure your object is in proportion.

2.) the crow i think looks flat because you are copying from life but not translating what you see into the 3D object in front of you. keep in mind that the crow is a 3D object and therefore the shading needs to be adjusted to show this, if ur doing it digital try drawing contour lines showing the form of the bird and how it is like an oval (does that make sense) same with the beak and eye and wing etc.

keep going! this will be ace in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Care Thank you for your feedback The raven was not from life it was from photo, but the apple was from life. I mentioned that I have a stuffed crow that I will do from life. Sorry if I was not clear about that. Drawing from photos just doesn't work in terms of form. I guess that is because I do not fully understand how to translate form from a 2d image....

...hence the need to study more from life. I think...

Anyway, today's, albeit not much...took me ages to get these proportions. Its an ornament I have that I decided to do from observation....again I think this still shows more form (even with no shading) than the raven does in my last post...

On another thought...it seems that I get frustrated with imagination stuff, simply because I have a serious lack of life study...so....on we go...

I want to try and paint this...maybe tomorrow...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You young whippersnappers with yer 'lectric pencils and computering...

Thanks for your encouraging words. Love your c.o.w and the crow looks great. Big improvement from page 3 to 4 I reckon.

Race you to ten pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    varmint Young whippersnapper? lol...I'm 27...not a whippersnapper anymore unfortunatly. Thanks for dropping by and your welcome!

It's the weekend...so thought I would have an hour of fun with painting something. So here's something that just turned out from imagination...nothing new and exciting...seen these types of enviro all before...but it was fun to do

Singapore , An microbe infestation of asians
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Damien by the same name!

just dropping by , don't ever stop those fundamental practices like using references from photos which i can see you are definitely on the right track!

Though there are many things i wished i could've told me when i was in my earlier phase , and that is to not be too obsessed with details , it becomes an illusion to cover up what we do not know, and what we know can be simplified , even now i still commit such mistakes. Hope this serves you as much as it does for me!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to damienflux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damienflux Thank you for dropping by and your comments...It is very much appreciated...

Just a couple of sketches from today...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Damien, awesome sketchbook so far. I really like the birds and the environments.
    Thanks for the links in the first post. I must do something similar in my sketchbook, seems helpful.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to andrei313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I see a marked improvement from page 1-4 so you are on the right track. Just keep building up your mileage and you will reach your art goals no problem.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andrei313 Thanks for dropping by

Wheeljack18 Thank you very much for the support. I love your work!

here's....well....something...i find eyes so hard to get life like...some wolves from photo and a lil fun skull thing from imagination...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure where this is going...but I've kind of been frustrated recently. I get home from work in the evening...try to settle down and do some studies. Start them and keep getting increasingly worked up while working. Everyday I am looking forward to coming home to draw...But when I start I end up giving in and sending what I did into the ether. But I don't want to give in. It feels like a vicious circle. I know I'm going to suck for a long time...but I want to get better.

So, I guess even a little is better than nothing...Did some eye studies (only 3 ) Played with alchemy, found a shape I like and a random enviro thumb for fun from imagination. The enviro was actually fun...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only this today I am afraid...I feel I need to follow some sort of course to gain some focus. Again today I came home with high hopes and got flawed...Just got to push on through...more studies! I should do more studies!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some definite improvement since the first page of this SB! (Especially evident in the last two environment pieces. Nice job on those!)

Question: Just out of curiosity - what program are you using for your digital stuff and what brushes/settings are you using? (Just want to know a bit about how you work.)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, welcome to the craziness.

Nice pencils in your earlier pieces especially the birds and shoes. I would recommend that you gp back to this style of lined shading. Post 105 seems to channel this in more recent posts.
    I'll continue to critique as the newer pieces come rolling in.

Welcome aboard and I'm excited to see your path.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey im the guy of the group who can't crit whatsoever because im dumb XP.
    Think youve got a good bit of progress since the start of your sketchbook, your crosshatching in your traditional work especially is looking really good.

As Mat said welcome aboard and set course for faggotry!..or art take your pick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some cool stuff here . I really like your pencil work and the eyes you posted recently are looking good! For your digital work, it seems like you use quite soft brushes so it can loose a bit of definition (I'm speaking from experience as I do this with landscapes). I'd reccommend trying out a harder edge brush with higher opacity and seeing if that works out for you .

Also, about coming home from work looking forward to drawing then just getting frustrated - I do that ALL the time, and I'm pretty sure most other people do too. It's just learning, I guess. I try and think that each drawing I do that I'm not happy with, at least I've learnt something, practiced and not spent that time just watching tv or something . Keep at it!

Please drop by my sketchbook and help me improve!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3