3 hour life drawing pose
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3 hour life drawing pose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3 hour life drawing pose

This past month I've been going to life drawing sessions with long poses. I think I'm finally making some progress. I did this one today.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a tip for you: use bigger, opaque brushes. As big as you can fit into the task of marking a particular plane. The streaking you've got - most noticeable on the thigh and upper arm - doesn't describe the form or lighting, it is just distracting. Were you to paint these parts with big brushes, you'd have to think about the form, not about applying color, and they would come out better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice color in the flesh tones. Long poses are good...I know my own skills improved tremendously when I started working from longer poses. Two thoughts:

1. The anatomical proportions are a bit dodgy, and that unfinished left hand is really distracting. If you've got three hours, you might want to spend more of it getting the drawing right before you start in with the paint.

2. You might want to focus on using the direction of your brush strokes to define the form....this is especially important when you're using a Wacom tablet, since that doesn't allow the calligraphic quality you can get with an actual physical brush. I think this is what Arenhaus is getting at, although I don't see that using bigger brushes would make much of a difference. The general art-school principle is that painting "across" the form defines it better than painting "along" it. JPEG attached.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    The general art-school principle is that painting "across" the form defines it better than painting "along" it. JPEG attached.
    Both "across the form" and "along the form" approaches have their uses, actually. One doesn't necessarily have automatic benefit over the other.

As for using bigger brushes - it's about thinking in terms of form and planes, instead of trying to fill a blot with a small brush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Both "across the form" and "along the form" approaches have their uses, actually. One doesn't necessarily have automatic benefit over the other.
    Yes. However, the tendency with most people is to overuse "along," especially on the limbs. Which is the case here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Yes. However, the tendency with most people is to overuse "along," especially on the limbs. Which is the case here.
    True. Still no reason to banish the "along", though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.