Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: sketchbook of a pangolin

Thanks

sketchbook of a pangolin

EDIT 2013: Hey y'all, just letting anyone stumbling upon this sketchbook to know that I'm a 19-year old sophomore studying computer animation at RCAD now, and no longer a high school senior applying to schools, haha! That is all!

--

Hi everyone! I'm a senior in high school who's about to apply to art school and right now my biggest problem is that I find that my observational art is very boring and uninteresting, and I know lots of the schools I'm applying to value creativity equally as much as they value skill! So I'm stuck in a rut since I've been drawing the same way for way too long... Well anyway, I should get to uploading!

(Sorry for the bad quality pictures! I took these at night using indoor lighting. These are only for critiquing purposes, anyway)

Attachment 1332407
    Attachment 1332408

Now, before I post anything else, I just wanted to say that the two pictures above were drawn when I was studying with my grandpa (he's an art professor) in China. They are VERY conservative when it comes to sketches there. Even though I drew everything here, I don't think I'd be able to draw it on my own because I had my grandpa there to critique my mistakes and the fact that I have very little patience with pencil drawings.

Here are some of my oil-painting still life drawings:

Attachment 1332409
    Attachment 1332410
    Attachment 1332412

I'm a much bigger fan of painting.. it even shows in my cartoony drawings. I'm a big fan of color. I drew these pictures under the guidance of a tutor, though.

I'll be posting my quick sketches next, I just wanted to get all my really finished art out of the way.
    Last edited by letsgopangolin; November 3rd, 2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: updating
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    K, now for my independent art!

Attachment 1332417

These were four attempts at drawing my sister. Each only took a few minutes, since I was trying to uh, be experimental. But it was really difficult for me. Everytime I tried to be loose, I would lose the proportions and etc. I think I like the fourth one the most stylisticly and compositionally, but the head seems too small.

Attachment 1332418

Eventually I just got really frustrated and scribbling while she was walking around. These are pretty much impossible to make out. I wasn't really thinking while I was drawing. Anyway, not proud of these, but I just wanted show everyone why I'm having difficulty with this.

Attachment 1332419
    Attachment 1332423
    Attachment 1332432
    Attachment 1332434
    Attachment 1332422

Not much to say about those, except those are my chinchillas. :"D

Attachment 1332420

Some attempts at drawing people in English class... I have A LOT of trouble trying to capture people with limited amounts of brush strokes. Ergghh. Help please?

Anyway, that's all I have. Hope I didn't post too much.
    Last edited by letsgopangolin; September 30th, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Thanks
    oh. and err. is there any way I can edit the title of this thread? I just realized how awkward it looks on the board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Ahahaha, I didn't even think of the second meaning til you mentioned it. You should actually be able to click the edit button for the first post and change it there.

Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You have some fantastic life studies that are just a joy to look at.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1317343119

While I understand working quite loose to get the gestures down etc, for some reason the fine, wide spaced diagonal lines in this one aren't really doing it for me, it just looks like you crossed things out. Instead, to imply light shading use a light wash material (markers, thick thick pencils, watercolour) to get the brief shading in there quickly if you're strapped for time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Ahahaha, I didn't even think of the second meaning til you mentioned it. You should actually be able to click the edit button for the first post and change it there.

Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You have some fantastic life studies that are just a joy to look at.

While I understand working quite loose to get the gestures down etc, for some reason the fine, wide spaced diagonal lines in this one aren't really doing it for me, it just looks like you crossed things out. Instead, to imply light shading use a light wash material (markers, thick thick pencils, watercolour) to get the brief shading in there quickly if you're strapped for time.
    Second meaning? OHH! Haha! I wasn't thinking that either. I just meant it's a boring title for a sketchbook.. and the "edit" button let's me change everything EXCEPT for the title! Really frustrating.

You're welcome! And thanks, that means a ton!

Yeah, personally I don't like the diagonals either, it's a bit distracting, isn't it? And kinda inconsistent lookin'. xD I tend to do that with all my art, it's usually because I get really impatient! But thanks! I didn't even think of using other materials. Good advice!

Do you have any advice on drawing in more.. experimental ways? That's what I'm really struggilng with now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post

ohmygod, my post disappeared! I spent forever working on that, too. -cries- Curse my horrible internet connection!

Well anyway, I didn't even think of that second meaning, actually! xD I just thought it was a lame title for a sketchbook. And the edit button lets me change everything EXCEPT for the title!

Anyway, thank you so much! That means a ton. And you're welcome! Your art is lovely.

I have a tendency of using those big diagonal lines in a lot of my sketches out of impatience! But you're right, I shouldn't use them, it doesn't really show value too well and is pretty distracting. I only had markers around me when I did this picture, though. But I didn't even think about using other materials. Great advice!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Attachment 1332985

OH yeah, I thought I should put up an example of stuff I draw for fun. It's also my profile picture! Haha~ But it's actually still in-progress. I haven't posted this picture anywhere else yet because I wanted to get a little bit of feedback on it before I finish.

Right now my main issues are:

1) the background. Ughh! It's totally killing me. And references are pretty difficult to find too. I'm using a really busy jungle photo right now but everything is just so tiny.

2) My humans are really sylized while it was my first time drawing a tiger, so my tiger was painted from a photo reference. I referenced my character from my own face but I had issues with the fact that it looked overshaded. But right now it looks too flat when put next to the tiger.

and 3) the LIGHTING on the plants, ESPECIALLY the foreground. I'm not sure how much should be covered by the subjects of the pic. Yeowch.

Anyway, keep in mind that this is still in progress!

Thanks
    This is a nice sketchbook! . I think that piece looks pretty good as is. Perhaps you could push some places darker in between the tiger and the girl and add some volumetric fog for the background. You could also add a slight gradient darkening downwards to your main characters. Do you mind if one paints over the top to explain?

If you feel the face is too flat you could always enhance the form but i think it looks fine.

Thanks
    In reference to the title of this thread: There is a great book by Richard Schmid called "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting". Among the many bits of wisdom in that book, there is this quote "Loose is how it looks, not how it is done."

Also, try diluting your influences, if you haven't already. That can go a long ways towards helping you break out of a specific way of working.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Nowwwwwwww I know where you're from!!! (about my comment on dA, my memory sucks).

When you click the edit button of the first post hit Go Advanced, and I *THINK* that'll let you change the title.

Love the colours in the last onnnnneeeee

Thanks
    I think a successful lose drawing is actually a clear drawing ->link
    and drawing clearly has a lot to do with understanding.
    a big part of drawing people quickly and simply is not drawing the contours as you see them but describing the person and what stand out about them using simpler forms.
    here are some links that might help.
    http://radhowto.blogspot.com/ <-some constructive anatomy demos.
    some videos of some coffee shop drawing 1 2 3
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

14. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Saurabhinator: haha, it's actually a boy but he's supposed to be sorta young-ish... I blame the fact that I was still trying to draw hardcore anime less than a year ago before I gave up and decided to draw whatever the hell I wanted xD And absolutely! Paint away!

@Goog: I'll add that to my growing list of books I really, really need to read... and hmm, that's actually very good advice. I've been scared of trying different things and now that I finally want to I'm not sure where to start. So I'll definitely take that into consideration.

@BlightedArt: hehe, it's cool! I try to keep my dA separate from here though. And oh wow, that worked! Thanks man! And thanks again about the picture :'D

@adamsimons: fantastic! This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks a million, these will help A LOT.

Thanks again to everyone for commenting, it means a lot!

Thanks
    mannnn im jealous of you pencil rendering skills, im still trying to capture that crosshatching feel in my works like Giovanni Civardi. Using only lines to capture light on paper, its amzing!!! Great job! Great digital work as well!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast