Sketchbook: sketchbook of a pangolin

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketchbook of a pangolin

EDIT 2013: Hey y'all, just letting anyone stumbling upon this sketchbook to know that I'm a 19-year old sophomore studying computer animation at RCAD now, and no longer a high school senior applying to schools, haha! That is all!

--

Hi everyone! I'm a senior in high school who's about to apply to art school and right now my biggest problem is that I find that my observational art is very boring and uninteresting, and I know lots of the schools I'm applying to value creativity equally as much as they value skill! So I'm stuck in a rut since I've been drawing the same way for way too long... Well anyway, I should get to uploading!

(Sorry for the bad quality pictures! I took these at night using indoor lighting. These are only for critiquing purposes, anyway)

Name:  china1.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  179.4 KB
    Name:  china2.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  201.8 KB

Now, before I post anything else, I just wanted to say that the two pictures above were drawn when I was studying with my grandpa (he's an art professor) in China. They are VERY conservative when it comes to sketches there. Even though I drew everything here, I don't think I'd be able to draw it on my own because I had my grandpa there to critique my mistakes and the fact that I have very little patience with pencil drawings.

Here are some of my oil-painting still life drawings:

Name:  bowl.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  295.9 KB
    Name:  flowers.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  319.9 KB
    Name:  tools.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  335.6 KB

I'm a much bigger fan of painting.. it even shows in my cartoony drawings. I'm a big fan of color. I drew these pictures under the guidance of a tutor, though.

I'll be posting my quick sketches next, I just wanted to get all my really finished art out of the way.

Last edited by letsgopangolin; November 3rd, 2013 at 04:12 AM. Reason: updating
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, now for my independent art!

Name:  ivy.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  315.2 KB

These were four attempts at drawing my sister. Each only took a few minutes, since I was trying to uh, be experimental. But it was really difficult for me. Everytime I tried to be loose, I would lose the proportions and etc. I think I like the fourth one the most stylisticly and compositionally, but the head seems too small.

Name:  arghh.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  269.3 KB

Eventually I just got really frustrated and scribbling while she was walking around. These are pretty much impossible to make out. I wasn't really thinking while I was drawing. Anyway, not proud of these, but I just wanted show everyone why I'm having difficulty with this.

Name:  hallway.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  425.6 KB
    Name:  fish1.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  342.2 KB
    Name:  fish2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  321.8 KB
    Name:  fish3.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  90.7 KB
    Name:  chins.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  227.7 KB

Not much to say about those, except those are my chinchillas. :"D

Name:  people.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  504.7 KB

Some attempts at drawing people in English class... I have A LOT of trouble trying to capture people with limited amounts of brush strokes. Ergghh. Help please?

Anyway, that's all I have. Hope I didn't post too much.

Last edited by letsgopangolin; September 30th, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixing typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh. and err. is there any way I can edit the title of this thread? I just realized how awkward it looks on the board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ahahaha, I didn't even think of the second meaning til you mentioned it. You should actually be able to click the edit button for the first post and change it there.

Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You have some fantastic life studies that are just a joy to look at.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1317343119

While I understand working quite loose to get the gestures down etc, for some reason the fine, wide spaced diagonal lines in this one aren't really doing it for me, it just looks like you crossed things out. Instead, to imply light shading use a light wash material (markers, thick thick pencils, watercolour) to get the brief shading in there quickly if you're strapped for time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Ahahaha, I didn't even think of the second meaning til you mentioned it. You should actually be able to click the edit button for the first post and change it there.

Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You have some fantastic life studies that are just a joy to look at.

While I understand working quite loose to get the gestures down etc, for some reason the fine, wide spaced diagonal lines in this one aren't really doing it for me, it just looks like you crossed things out. Instead, to imply light shading use a light wash material (markers, thick thick pencils, watercolour) to get the brief shading in there quickly if you're strapped for time.
    Second meaning? OHH! Haha! I wasn't thinking that either. I just meant it's a boring title for a sketchbook.. and the "edit" button let's me change everything EXCEPT for the title! Really frustrating.

You're welcome! And thanks, that means a ton!

Yeah, personally I don't like the diagonals either, it's a bit distracting, isn't it? And kinda inconsistent lookin'. xD I tend to do that with all my art, it's usually because I get really impatient! But thanks! I didn't even think of using other materials. Good advice!

Do you have any advice on drawing in more.. experimental ways? That's what I'm really struggilng with now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post

ohmygod, my post disappeared! I spent forever working on that, too. -cries- Curse my horrible internet connection!

Well anyway, I didn't even think of that second meaning, actually! xD I just thought it was a lame title for a sketchbook. And the edit button lets me change everything EXCEPT for the title!

Anyway, thank you so much! That means a ton. And you're welcome! Your art is lovely.

I have a tendency of using those big diagonal lines in a lot of my sketches out of impatience! But you're right, I shouldn't use them, it doesn't really show value too well and is pretty distracting. I only had markers around me when I did this picture, though. But I didn't even think about using other materials. Great advice!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  fixit.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  266.8 KB

OH yeah, I thought I should put up an example of stuff I draw for fun. It's also my profile picture! Haha~ But it's actually still in-progress. I haven't posted this picture anywhere else yet because I wanted to get a little bit of feedback on it before I finish.

Right now my main issues are:

1) the background. Ughh! It's totally killing me. And references are pretty difficult to find too. I'm using a really busy jungle photo right now but everything is just so tiny.

2) My humans are really sylized while it was my first time drawing a tiger, so my tiger was painted from a photo reference. I referenced my character from my own face but I had issues with the fact that it looked overshaded. But right now it looks too flat when put next to the tiger.

and 3) the LIGHTING on the plants, ESPECIALLY the foreground. I'm not sure how much should be covered by the subjects of the pic. Yeowch.

Anyway, keep in mind that this is still in progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a nice sketchbook! . I think that piece looks pretty good as is. Perhaps you could push some places darker in between the tiger and the girl and add some volumetric fog for the background. You could also add a slight gradient darkening downwards to your main characters. Do you mind if one paints over the top to explain?

If you feel the face is too flat you could always enhance the form but i think it looks fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In reference to the title of this thread: There is a great book by Richard Schmid called "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting". Among the many bits of wisdom in that book, there is this quote "Loose is how it looks, not how it is done."

Also, try diluting your influences, if you haven't already. That can go a long ways towards helping you break out of a specific way of working.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nowwwwwwww I know where you're from!!! (about my comment on dA, my memory sucks).

When you click the edit button of the first post hit Go Advanced, and I *THINK* that'll let you change the title.

Love the colours in the last onnnnneeeee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a successful lose drawing is actually a clear drawing ->link
    and drawing clearly has a lot to do with understanding.
    a big part of drawing people quickly and simply is not drawing the contours as you see them but describing the person and what stand out about them using simpler forms.
    here are some links that might help.
    http://radhowto.blogspot.com/ <-some constructive anatomy demos.
    some videos of some coffee shop drawing 1 2 3

Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

14. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Saurabhinator: haha, it's actually a boy but he's supposed to be sorta young-ish... I blame the fact that I was still trying to draw hardcore anime less than a year ago before I gave up and decided to draw whatever the hell I wanted xD And absolutely! Paint away!

@Goog: I'll add that to my growing list of books I really, really need to read... and hmm, that's actually very good advice. I've been scared of trying different things and now that I finally want to I'm not sure where to start. So I'll definitely take that into consideration.

@BlightedArt: hehe, it's cool! I try to keep my dA separate from here though. And oh wow, that worked! Thanks man! And thanks again about the picture :'D

@adamsimons: fantastic! This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks a million, these will help A LOT.

Thanks again to everyone for commenting, it means a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mannnn im jealous of you pencil rendering skills, im still trying to capture that crosshatching feel in my works like Giovanni Civardi. Using only lines to capture light on paper, its amzing!!! Great job! Great digital work as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe777k7 View Post
    mannnn im jealous of you pencil rendering skills, im still trying to capture that crosshatching feel in my works like Giovanni Civardi. Using only lines to capture light on paper, its amzing!!! Great job! Great digital work as well!
    Aww, thanks! But to be honest, I usually don't have enough patience to render that far, it was only because my grandpa would check on me every ten minutes or so and catch me reading something instead and he'd be like, "Oh.. you don't have to draw if you don't want to." So I felt really bad and kept working at it! xD;

Annnnnd I actually crosshatch because I'm left-handed, so my artwork tends to smudge LIKE CRAZY. As a result, I absolutely hate using smudging as a shading technique so I've been cross-hatching for as long as I remember xDD Personally I think you have better control over your values, too!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoops, I forgot to add a sketch I did over the weekend...

Name:  gestures.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  178.5 KB

This is the third page of gesture drawings I did yesterday. It took me a really, really long time to get the hang of how to do them and I'm still slightly confused. The axis/line of motion technique is the one that definitley helped me the most!

Anyway, these were 30-second drawings I did using a nifty figure-drawing tool I found on google. I'll try out some of these techniques tomorrow in English class (I sit in the back and that's where I usually sketch my people, hahaha).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to letsgopangolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey!

nicccceeee! Thanks for the comment on my sketchbook! I started using the staedtler lead holders about a year ago and using the "H" grade lead to draw. It bearly every smears. I grew very found of using the lead holders they make but recently i been wanting to get back into using regular pencils. The whole messy and smearing thing they do kind of gives it a good feel with drawing Oh and your right about the comment in my sketchbook, i have bearly even drawn from life at all lol something i plan to start doing real soon. Learning all the muscles and bones doesnt cut it it seems, got to start drawing people and stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oo I can see there's going to be lots of cute stuff in here -
    The struggle between fun stuff and studies never really goes away- just be conscious not to let either one take over
    Happy sketching- Hope to see more like post #6

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're fairly skilled for a high school student. It appears like you already know what to do you just need to keep going. As for drawing people that are moving, yes it's very hard. I struggle with it but it forces me to draw fast and it appears the faster I draw the faster I recognize big simple shapes in the figure. Keep going buddy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you seem to be very skilled for attending the high school!

like your digital painting, but your oil paintings look a bit flat to me.
    Not sure why, could be the rendering. But great color through!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Joe777k7: Haha! Yeah, H pencils are alright, but I just have this love for the thick, dark lines those smudgy B pencils give up. xDD As a result, I'm pretty good with not smudging anything I draw, hehe~ And no problem! Yeah, drawing muscles helps make your people more accurate but then there's a sort of life..energy...thing lacking. |D;

@Rhubix: Aw, thanks! It's kinda tough balancing both! I have a hard time drawing anything in the middle, heh. Good to know that there's people interested in my personal art, too! I just got a new tablet but there seems to be a problem with the touch sensitivity because of this other stupid program tablet Windows 7 came with. So it might be a while before I can work on that picture or anything else of that type since I prefer to draw them digitally.

PS: I LOVE TURTLES TOO. I have two of them and they're like my babies. I would draw them except for the fact that they get super excited when you go near the tank so they move waaay too quickly to draw.

@Flanagan: Oh, thanks! I'm in my senior year though, so in a couple months I won't be a high school student anymore. xD Drawing motion seems to be my biggest weakness right now, but it's slowly starting to make more sense. I think I just need a lot more practice. Thanks!

@Layu: Thank you! I never noticed that actually, but now that you mention it, you have a point! Color is my strong point, hehe. I have a really hard time with values when I paint, especially dark ones since I try to avoid using black as much as possible. I don't have that problem when I paint digitally because you don't have to mix colors, so it makes life A LOT easier for me.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here are a couple of charcoal drawings I did of my family members...

Name:  sittin.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  139.0 KB
    Sister and mom. This was an earlier attempt and is alright but nothing too special.

Name:  cello.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  179.2 KB
    Sister again. I don't like this one because the values are kinda messed up and the cello is really... wrong.

Name:  lazy.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  153.7 KB
    I kept on yelling at my sister for moving around while I tried to draw her so she finally gave up and just decided to sleep on the floor so I could draw her. A lot of perspective issues but this is my favorite one just because it has a lot more.. life to it? I dunno, but there's something there that I like.

Name:  scarf.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  126.1 KB
    Another picture of my sister! She bought a cute Asian scarf from a cute Asian store down the block so I drew her because she looked like a cute Asian. This is actually the first time I did a charcoal portrait of someone so I'm kinda happy.

Anywayyy, the last two up there were ones I did today, so I felt a lot more relaxed and drew more naturally. I think I need to move on and start trying new mediums/subjects though. Might try drawing myself next... Hmm... :'D

Alsooo, I'm just gonna say again that I got a new tablet installed but it's having some issues because of this other program that came with my computer. I need to uninstall it but I don't have administrator privileges because of my tyrant stepfather so I gotta wait until tomorrow when he comes back home from work, hahaha. So no digital art for a little while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made very little changes, because there is very little to change. I hade a bit of difficulty understanding where the light is coming from, I think we have two, one from behind and one from the side. I have made the tiger nose a bit more pronounced and made some parts darker.

Attached Images Attached Images  

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Saurabhinator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Saurabhinator: oh wow, thanks! That's fantastic! And I'll be honest, this is my first time drawing a picture from my head with light coming from an actual light source... I still have a hard time with it so that's something I'll have to practice, I guess.
    Thank you again! This will help me out a lot... especially the lighting on the plants!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I've been really busy these past days so I haven't been able to post or draw much!

This is a picture of one of my chinchillas.. I referenced from a photograph, though. It was fun to do, and it was my first time with oil pastels.

Name:  glee.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  252.2 KB

Alsooo here is a more updated version of that tiger picture:

Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  268.0 KB

Thos plants are still giving me hell! I'm also having trouble with closing off the top part of the painting.. I was going to use trees but it didn't seem to be working out well (because I'm terrible at drawing trees!) so I tried making a border but it seems to look even worse since it feels really closed-off now. I might go back and try working on my trees again though. Thinking about them makes me cringe...

I was also thinking of adding some flowers, but they were really difficult for me to draw so I might just have to stick to some simple flowers instead of the excotic ones I was hoping for. Hmmmm...

Well, any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your tiger picture is adorable!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinzu View Post
    Your tiger picture is adorable!
    Aww, thanks :'D

--

Hmmm... I noticed a lot of people liked my tiger pic, so in case anyone is curious...

I wanted to keep my dA separate from my CA but if anybody wants to check out my personal, stylized artwork, this is my deviantART account! The pictures I post on the two sites will probably be completely different, so don't expect my doodles from there to end up here. (Though maybe when I'm in college they'll make their way here. Right now I feel they're still sorta amateurish!)

As you can see... I drew hardcore anime until about a year ago before I realized that I just couldn't do it. Proportions were always slightly off that would make it look too cartoony so I gave up and just went for my own style. :'D It's still very anime-influenced, but hey!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't find your stuff boring and i don't see why you should have a problem getting into art school.

if you want to progress though, well, play around with your ideas and pictures more, mix things up, surprise yourself! ;o

what i do is, take a page, fill it with scribbles and crap, then as if you had a sive, shift through the shapes and keep shaking your picture around till you see things in it, then pluck out the shinies. work on them.

my first art teacher told me: do one picture ten times then pick out one of those ten pictures.

"Live as if you were to die today, learn as if you were to live forever" Gandhi ;o

If you want your art to be more interesting, be more interested!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps you should consider just removing the leaves of the trees in the backdrop and just pushing the trunks up. The position of the leaves in the back drop is just awkward.

I would suggest getting out that pencil and doing twenty or so quick pencil sketches of trees, then perhaps you can understand what you need to change about them.
    Perhaps try this for starters:
    http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/578240

And careful with adding the flowers, they may steal the spotlight and break the composition, I can't actually see anywhere to add them to this piece.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Saurabhinator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One way to make studies fun is to do them, and afterwards do something from your imagination based on the studies you just completed. Its an interesting way of testing your skills, and keeping tabs on what you know, kinda know, and need work on.
    I hope that makes sense.
    You're doing great. Just keep drawing!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Saurabhinator: Oh, good suggestion! I actually initually added the leaves just because I needed something to frame the top portion..

Name:  comp.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  249.3 KB

So, do you mean something like this?^ I actually does look better, except that I still don't like the chunky border on top (hence why I was using leaves before). Any tips on how to resolve that? Or does it look fine to you? It might be personal preference.

Also, I was only planning to add small white flowers in the center of where some of the plant leaves were sprouting out of... But if I don't need them then I won't bother since they're A LOT of trouble to do.

Thanks a MILLION for helping me out so much on this!

@Bosque: Thanks! That's good advice.... I have a habit of kind of drawing without thinking/taking anything in so this'll probably improve my observation skills. I'll try it out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.