Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #231. Siberian Legacy - WIPs Thread

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #231, Siberian Legacy

topic:

ROUND#231: Siberian Legacy

With the discovery of alien wild life, rogue scientists have taken to interbreeding and splicing the DNA of species from various planets. In a warped attempt to preserve endangered life, a team of scientists have decided to breed the highly endangered Siberian Tiger, with various off-world species. You job is to design one of these products of genetic engineering. The creature must bear clear semblance to the Siberian Tiger in some way, whether that be in form or colour, but you are free to design what strange and beautiful creations have come from this unification of species. Perhaps the splicing went wrong and created something totally warped and messed up, perhaps in created some super species; it’s in your hands, but try and push the design as much as you can. I’ll be one disappointed moderator if all I get is a tiger with spikes or wings.

Requirements this week...

- The creature must have visible tiger-like elements to it's design

- The creature should be significantly different from a siberian tiger (The tiger is not the base species)

- The creature must have stripes

For confirmation, we're talking about these guys (though it is not necessary that they be the white siberian tiger)

And the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger

Deadline:

October 5th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

FINALS GO HERE... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...67#post3260467

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you mods are making hard for to take a break! This is too awesome to pass up!!.....but I am taking a bit of a break before starting, cuz I'm mentally drained by that last COW....plus with some personal stuff going on in life....

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to get some quick thumbs in tonight. I'm leaning towards the ones I put labels A and B on; maybe I'll mix them together. Or maybe I'll make more thumbs.

Name:  tiger creature thumbs.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  79.3 KB

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely topic, especially the subtle implication "please people go crazy on your designs"

somehow I want to do something with scaling again, either some really small creature or something gigantic

one question that came to my mind:
    am I right that our creature could technically live everywhere and we are not bound to a creature living on the land?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm going with this one.

Name:  tiger creature a post.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  81.2 KB

Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sevira - The creature's environmental conditions are up to you, if you feel that a water-based part-tiger could work, by all means go for it. As for the "go crazy on your designs" the main reason I put that in there is for the fear that I'd get designs which are essentially a tiger with a couple of added features.

Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    initial sketch....with some very rough stripes added
    Name:  siberian legacy.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  103.0 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For inspiration on this piece, look no further than master creature designer Mike Corriero:

Image courtesy of the Creaturespot. If you haven't checked that blog out before, do it now!

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_Swe- That's amazing! Thanks for sharing Mr. Corriero with us!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

something that might help...

Something that might help people, for this COW and any future one as well.

It is a random animal mixer generator. The results are at the very least amusing.

http://sacredhillfilms.com/animal_mixer.html

I basically used some free generator code from Seventh Sanctum/, modified it and dumped a ton of animal names in it. It is a modified version of my general Idea Machine Generator. I find these things helpful so maybe you guys do too.

It's good on ideas but bad on grammar (thanks to my shoddy coding skills).

Enjoy!
    -Chris

--------------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Head of 3d
    Shape Minds and Moving Images GmbH
    Berlin, Germany

http://www.chrissmallfield.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great topic.
    normally when i paint i jump to blocking right away and dont have any lineart.
    trying some back to the roots now on this one with some quick sketches to get an idea what i could mix.

ill probably not go too exotic. crits very welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spacemanchris: that's pretty cool, post that in the useful links thread so people can have access to it after this topic is finished...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is where I am at with my entry....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell: id definetly stick with that design - looks fierce
    Lege1: the legs/foreground-leg looks a little bent. it seems as if the creature walks backwards but i guess the leg/knee is intended to face towards the viewer? perhaps attach it a bit more to the right towards the body-axis or try mirroring it horizontally.

Last edited by ninety9; September 30th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell: The claws seem a bit too long and strait for comfortable mobility. Birds of prey have absurdly big claws but when they have to walk they look awkward, so I would think a quadruped would have to have more modest sized claws or have a different foot/toe/claw shape to facilitate easy movement.

Lege1:I agree with ninety9 the legs seem to be bending too far back. The face especially the mouth area seems awkward, some reference of tigers or other cats snarling should help.

This sounds like a really fun topic and immediately sparked ideas for me. I haven't done much traditional work outside of loose sketches for a while so especially after seeing Mike Corriero's awesome piece I decided to go back to pencil for this. I am planning to add color in photoshop once I finish the pencil work though. I also used photoshop to see if I wanted to change the pose of my creature's abdomen before I have to erase what I've already drawn. Definitely liking the edited pose better so I'll be changing the pencil piece accordingly. It feels a bit like I should add something else to the design but I'm not sure what.

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the eagle-video needs some electromusic

great start sssserpent, really looking forward to see it colored. both poses are nice though. the first one has some nice flow and looks very natural while the 2nd brings more tension to the image/creature.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ninety9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my update...I decided to use good advice from good friend and use some reference. Thanks Golden Serpent...I get all excited and always just want to paint and draw and in the process I always decide not to reference anything....it's amazing how far a little reference can go.....compare and contrast to my old entry compared to how this one is looking. I think I am going to finally tighten up and start finishing this out from here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to be pretty busy from here on out through the weekend, but hopefully I'll have time to do more than just a sketch for this one.

Name:  tiger creature b post.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  421.3 KB

I'm liking the direction these are going!

Rob: Looks vicious! I especially like the face. However, the way the legs are splayed out makes it look like it's trying to stand up on slippery ice.

99: I'd like to see the direction you go with these.

Lege1: the legs are sort of backwards from what intuition tells me they should be (granted it's a fantasy creature, but even in fantasy things should look right). I like the idea of an aquatic creature and toyed with that idea myself for a bit.

GoldenSerpent: Looks good! I should be drawing with pencils more. I never seem to remember to bring my drawing pad anywhere anymore. It used to be an extension of my hand.

Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good everyone!
    GoldenSerpent- That pencil work is awesome, I'm inspired. I may have to try out the pencils for myself too, I'm normally too impatient and just want to start painting.
    Eclectix- neat looking sketch, hope you get a chance to finish it!
    Lege1- The update definitely looks better! I agree with Eclectix on the legs though.
    99- Good sketches, look forward to seeing how they turn out.
    Rob- Spikey and intense looking. nice.

Well here's where I'm at now, getting ready to add color. I went with the more diseased and malfunctioning hybrid look. I'm not real good with pretty things...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tigoceros

Tigris Diceros
    yeah, this is one idea I might go with, not quite as different from a tiger as Goldenserpent's or Mike Corriero's, but I like it, although my sketchbook didn't quite fit in the scanner so it looks a little warped

EDIT: Shit, I just realised that rhinos have horns not tusks and I've only drawn one.
    GoldenSerpent: There are no words to describe how jelly I am that you came up with that idea and not me
    Eclectix: I love the idea, but is it tiger-y enough? If you think I'm talking outa my arse, that's fine
    Lege1: the head on that knew one is much better, but everything seems to be at different angles to everything else.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1317481361

Last edited by Barefoot; October 1st, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1317488039

its meant to be similar to the drawings you get in the encyclopaedia of animals.

im not sure im all that keen on it, any crits/advice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RyNSWOrLD - I'm still a huuuuge newcomer here so I might just be saying nothing important/helpful, buuuuut~ I like that you wanted to make it look like an encyclopaedia drawing, the issue is from what I gather this COW was supposed to be about a tiger and an alien life form, which you don't really seem to have done. I mean, you can sure make a good alien-looking mix with earth animals, like Mike Corriero's Sibmarantis Illodode, but you've got to mix it in a way that looks... well, alien. And weirder. The way you mixed your tiger and rhino/boar, it seems to me just like a tiger with an odd face and a rhino's rump. I hope this made sense/was at all helpful. :c

31. The Following User Says Thank You to AnaBebel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eclectix: Really nice design. I like the dog like stance your creature has. I am looking forward to seeing you render the form out more and start working your colors in. Nice parchment paper back ground also.

Rob Powell: Nice dynamic creature indeed. I would definitely consider paying attention to those feet and how the creature is going to walk. Def look at that stuff Golden Serpent posted for you =) Over all looking real good man, I am looking forward to the form being fleshed out with the values. How do you plan your approach? Color underneath the line drawing and flesh it out from there, or are you going to do the gray scale thing with the color over top? Just curious…

Si Swe: That is a killer creature from Mike Corriero indeed. Great wait to motivate and intimidate us artists all in one post. I like the way Mike literally Frankenstein’s his creatures together based around the different parts and such from other creatures, then welds it all together with imaginary drawing. Very good stuff there =)

Ninety9:
    I like your second creature prototype far more over the first one. Maybe come up with a few more to get some more ideas going no doubt. I thumbnail a lot before I go with what I go with…I actually need to start posting those,lol….Anyway, nice work on the second prototype.Yeah I wanted the legs really weird and spread out ward on my creature, I hope the finished illustration reads well. I tried my best, I also tried to use reference which I usually never do, but there are some things that just can’t be referenced. We’ll see =)

Golden Serpent:
    First off great work on your entry. I think both variations with the tail up and the tail down look great. Nice that you went the traditional route with the sketching with pencil on paper and then bringing it into the computer to work the piece up. Some of my favorite artists do that, artists like Marko D’Jurdjevic and Carlos Huante. Thank you very much also on the suggestions of especially using reference. I horrible with that and try to draw everything out of my head. It is amazing how far a little reference will go. It has changed my piece for the better for sure. Thank you, I used the pic that you posted cause I liked it a lot =)

Dahlia: Your idea is interesting but I would really try to define the silhouette more. I see just a mess of like pre-developed legs and the image is not reading tiger at all to me. It looks more like a cow or something right now. I would recommend what everyone has been constantly recommending to me and that is to use reference. A little bit of reference goes a very long way friend =)

Rynsworld:
    I never have any success with my creatures but I keep doing them because I just like drawing and painting them. I appreciate your crit mosdef man and hopefully the next hundred creatures can be better with the angle thing. As for your creature: I like how it’s coming along, it’s like a Saber-tooth Tiger / Rhino type of thing. I like the beagle like pointer pose. Is it pointing something out? I would honestly stray away from that encyclopedia look to things, it’s not very modern at all and it seems like a nice cop out on having to render form and so forth. I definitely would not depend pencil shading to define the form on things. Try de-saturating your image and go at it just using Gray values. Remember to reserve solid black and white for those extreme places like the absence of volume and specular highlights =)

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

I think I'll go with this...
    rendering now...I don't know, if I get it till the deadline...but...I'll try!

Name:  Siberian LegacyWip_small_.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  302.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PRE-FINAL

InFlame: Is the name any way related to the rock band "In Flames" ? If so very cool =) That is by far my favorite rock group. Very nice work on your creature so far. I like the traditional pencil sketches and going back in digitally. Very cool that you are working directly in with colors. Maybe consider blocking in solid midtone color underneath your sketch by making your sketch the top layer and then setting it to multiply with a new layer underneath for the color. This way you can saturate your creature with good midtone color and then work your darks and lights out =) Just a suggestion...

Here is what I as of now and this will probably be as far as I get with this. I am absolutely open for suggestions, paint overs, and all that other good shyt, so have at it. If I take your suggestion seriously and find the time I will definitely go back in conduct the work. Great work so far everybody and keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still a huuuuge newcomer here so I might just be saying nothing important/helpful, buuuuut~ I like that you wanted to make it look like an encyclopaedia drawing, the issue is from what I gather this COW was supposed to be about a tiger and an alien life form, which you don't really seem to have done. I mean, you can sure make a good alien-looking mix with earth animals, like Mike Corriero's Sibmarantis Illodode, but you've got to mix it in a way that looks... well, alien. And weirder. The way you mixed your tiger and rhino/boar, it seems to me just like a tiger with an odd face and a rhino's rump. I hope this made sense/was at all helpful. :c
    it was helpful, don't worry about being a newcomer, it doesn't make anything you say any less valid, lol
    I feel like an idiot for not reading the 'alien life' part, I was under the impression it was meant to be a splice between two animals alive today, oops ^^
    as for the head shape and the size of the chest-shoulder bit, I wanted to mix the bone structure of both animals. I'm a little disappointed that wasn't obvious :'(
    I never have any success with my creatures but I keep doing them because I just like drawing and painting them. I appreciate your crit mosdef man and hopefully the next hundred creatures can be better with the angle thing. As for your creature: I like how it’s coming along, it’s like a Saber-tooth Tiger / Rhino type of thing. I like the beagle like pointer pose. Is it pointing something out? I would honestly stray away from that encyclopedia look to things, it’s not very modern at all and it seems like a nice cop out on having to render form and so forth. I definitely would not depend pencil shading to define the form on things. Try de-saturating your image and go at it just using Gray values. Remember to reserve solid black and white for those extreme places like the absence of volume and specular highlights =)
    If I'm honest I do try and shy away from proper rendering most of the time because I know I'm not very good at it, I know how I SHOULD work it just doesn't come out right most of the time.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rynsworld: Very well then and know that we are all on here to get better and help each other out to get there. Nobody ever knows it all that's for sure so we all stay learning together. Don't be discouraged to try out new working methods on here and when you do so, share them with us so that way we may be able to help you move forward in what you are trying to accomplish. Participating is half the battle so stick with it, post and share what you got, and take the critcism that will help make you better. If you have any questions you can always feel free to ask me either in the forum or private message. I am obviously not the best concept artist on here, but I do what I love and love what I do and am capable of producing something half way decent so yeah,lol.....keep doing best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1317508837

quick redesign while watching shaun of the dead. Then did some colour after http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1333711&stc=1&d=131751 5428

Last edited by Barefoot; October 1st, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RyNSWOrLD: You have some really nice color going in your entry right now. I would recommend going into grayscale mode and try to start rendering form using simple values. If not, try working with the colors that you have already established in your illustration and render out the form accordingly. Midtones are for sure key...try to get things looking as 3D as possible just using shadows and midtones then when you put the highlights the shyt will really pop. I did a quick paint over on your creatures face as I liked it a lot. Just something to give you a little motivation. Good luck man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kind of going against "do not make tiger with wings" principle stated earlier in here. very rubbish quality of photos stitched quickly together in psp just to show the idea

I decided to go back to my beloved mechanical pencil to handle this creature, and first came the head as I was siting and watching our pigeons, angry aggressive territorial creatures they really are.
    then body appeared on different page, and around 4a.m. came tail on yet another piece of paper
    will properly finish and properly scan it and properly color it etc. etc. later, so now just a VERY rough idea:

42. The Following User Says Thank You to sepu For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.