Sky Altar
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sky Altar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sky Altar

Hi there, I would like to receive criticism and suggestions concerning my composition/colors/design for this piece, it's unfinished, but progressing.

My ''concept'' is an altar that is used to sacrifice someone in order to open a portal leading to the sky kingdom. (I also plan adding some kind of lightly glowing shattered crystals near the portal, to add a more magical feel to it)

Thank you!

Name:  DessinTravail.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  242.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, cool start, I did this quick paintover of the piece illustrating where you can improve it.

Firstly your colors are over-saturated, remember that if you have a ton of strong colors everywhere than you totally lose the effect and it makes a painting monotonous. Also pay attention to atmospheric perspective (what happens visually to an object as it recedes in space).
    Secondly look at how the perspective of the scene and the composition work together, the way you have your altar is so that the viewer is looking down at it and at the same time we have the city at eye level. This hurts the mood of the scene, so I re-painted your altar to be at eye level (or closer to) and made the city larger.
    Lastly using a hill or obstruction in the corner of a landscape is a good way of showing depth, but you have to remember to show a parallax, that is, you have to have it overlapping other objects further ahead in the scene.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrei B For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.