Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls

Thanks
    *peek* Who said AA?

How far along are you? If you complete your AA then transfer, Ringling will likely waive all liberal arts requirements. It won't save you any time, but it will save you credits. That was the policy while I was at Ringling, but I'd talk to admissions to confirm it's still the case.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    How Recruiting Works at Ringling
    a general outline

-Recruiting season is in the spring semester, but we may still have some companies come to the school, give presentations, and look at student work.
    -Career services maintains a calendar of scheduled recruiters on the password protected portion of their website. They also usually send out weekly email blasts of upcoming recruiters, presentations, and events.
    -Recruiters come for a day or two.
    -Students submit their resume online to the recruiter's job posting on our college central system and submit portfolio/demo reel materials to the office of career services
    -The recruiters give a presentation during the lunch hour. The presentation is almost always open to all interested years and majors. Students have the opportunity to ask questions about the company and what they are looking for.
    -Students who applied to the job posting log into their college central account to see if they were selected for an interview and what time it is at.
    -Student goes to the interview at the scheduled time in career services. Interviews are typically 10 minutes.
    -Students who were not selected for interviews pick up their portfolio materials once the recruiter has left.
    -Hopefully you follow up with the recruiter and get selected for the job. It can take several months though to find out. Some don't find out the results of March interviews until as late as May or June.

On average we have about 40 or 50 companies that visit the school each year to recruit. Career services does a great job of staggering them too so you can go to all the presentations that interest you, not try to apply to a million places on the same day, and get the quality one on one time in interviews that you and the recruiters deserve. I've heard of a lot of other art schools having career days or fairs were all the recruiters come at once to look at student work. Ringling doesn't have that, and I'm very glad they don't. Overall it's a school very focused on job placement in the industry, and our career services here is really outstanding!

Also, I'm not a transfer student but if you're about to finish your AA I would just say to stick it out. If you're less than halfway maybe not, I don't know. It's just my personal opinion that it's good to follow through and finish up things like that. It's all up to you though (:
    Ahh, again I could have sworn I replied in this thread...maybe it doesn't take replies on tuesdays? lol. But Thank you so much! I always wondered how the process was. Very informative!

Thanks
    Hi! :-) Well, I've only started community college recently (3 weeks ago), so I'm not really far.

So, completing my AA will waive all the lib.arts requirements...I'll be sure to talk to admissions to confirm. Thanks!

Thanks

Woo

A few days ago ( the 21st to be exact) I got into the GAD program, which is what I applied for and I am super psyched, I honestly had my doubts in my skill at times, but my efforts payed off!

Thanks
    @Zaqschlanger - GZ! can you please post your portfolio for reference, i want to apply for GAD as well and wanna see what other people submit.

Thanks
    @Zaqschlanger: When did you complete your application? Just wondering how long they take to process them. And I too would like to see what your portfolio is like.

Thanks
    well, I put up a rough draft of my portfolio in my sketchbook. could anyone look it over? give me a rough critique. I'm still working on roughly everything, at least a little bit here and there. but basically, anything I should definitely omit? anything I should keep as is, not do any more to? do you think I'm missing something I should show? is there too much of one thing, not enough of another?
    can I use my camera better?
    how about photoshop?
    I'm applying for GAD, and I'm not sure how my portfolio looks.
    BTW, why is GAD no longer due at the same time as the animation admissions?
    anyway, if you could look over what i'm doing, and give me any advice you can muster, thank you!
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    @Vi -
    i was wondering, what do you think of the program so far, is it worth it, are the professors really educated about games or do they only know how to use the software. i have been reading all kinds of mixed reviews, and there are very few about GAD, so maybe you could tell me briefly what you think of it so far?
    Yeah, I remember when I was applying I saw so many mixed reviews, too. Different people who major in different things have varied experiences and commitment levels. But those who are most committed stand out no matter what they major in, and they're the ones who love it and get jobs quickly, because their ambition shows in their portfolio. Honestly, it's said a lot, but it's completely true: you get what you put into it. People who post terrible reviews on there got kicked out/aren't doing well for a reason, and it's not the school's fault. The amount of effort you put in is directly proportional to how much you learn. You especially can't just breeze by in CA and GAD, you have to love it and be passionate and be extremely dedicated. The people here are so amazing, students and faculty alike. There's a wealth of talent and infinite wells of knowledge you can draw from everywhere. You won't find such an inspirational, hard-working, fun environment like this anywhere else.

And the GAD program is most definitely worth it. There isn't a program like it anywhere out there - our work speaks for itself when compared to student's at other colleges. We're ahead by leaps and bounds, and the GAD program is only a few years old (the second graduating class will graduate this spring) - and only getting better every year. Tons of top companies come and recruit throughout the year and hand-pick students only from Ringling, knowing how well-rounded and hard-working the kids are here. In just your sophomore year of GAD we learn everything from Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Premiere, to Maya, UDK, Zbrush, and a host of other programs. We learn (and practice extensively) how to do everything from the concept stage all the way through to a fully-finished product. It's a ton of work and it's really challenging, but honestly I have trouble really calling it "work" because everything is SO much fun and so rewarding, no matter how intense it is. The Game Art professors are all extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and are all currently working in the field. Overall they definitely know their stuff and know the programs really well, but technology in the games industry changes so rapidly that it's hard to keep up sometimes - every few months a new build for the programs we use is put out, and then we all have to re-learn a bunch of stuff. It's the same situation at game companies though, so keeping up makes you prepared. Most of the time we're trouble-shooting problems ourselves, because as game designers one of the most important skills is being an excellent problem-solver. You learn just as much from your peers as from your teachers, which serves to make us an even closer GAD family, and makes for this amazing environment full of awesome people who are always willing to help.

This Freshman year's curriculum was changed a bit from ours, but all for the better - you guys get more figure drawing than us, and you don't have to take a class we had to that didn't really relate to our major. All the Freshmen I've talked to say they love their classes I really loved Freshman year regardless; it was mostly traditional art to help everyone get down the fundamentals of art, as well as some liberal arts classes. Second semester you get your first game-related class, History of Games, with Cooksey (who's freaking awesome), as well as Traditional Animation. Freshman year is the time to make friends and get into the swing of things, because you have the most free-time. Things only get more intense as time goes on, but also more fun as you get into stuff The GAD Curriculum: http://www.ringling.edu/learn/majors...ign/curriculum

and speaking of figure drawing... if i get many gypsum heads and bodies instead, will they like that in a portfolio for GAD? i have no way of getting any figure drawing classes here, since the only place where they happen they are reserved only for the students of the academy of art...
    I'm not entirely sure what gypsum heads are, but from looking them up online, it looks like your portfolio would benefit a lot more from doing full-body gestures and observational studies like still-lives and environments. They want to know that you can observe and capture the real world quickly and accurately, so include mostly real-life studies, and only your best works. Accurate figure-drawings, impressive perspective interior/exterior environment pieces, and skillful use of contrast and composition are all probably the most important things. As I said before, if you really can't find any figure-drawing classes you can go to (which I highly recommend!), then just draw normal people you see in everyday life - sitting at your desk in class, watching people at lunch-time, after school when you're waiting for your ride, or even just family and friends when they're home. Anything works, just study from life. And as I mentioned before, there are a whole ton of reference websites where you can also find models/photos to draw from. Here's another one of my faves: http://lovecastle.org/draw

Hope I answered all your questions! Let me know if there's anything else.

/Wall of text

Thanks
    @Tuesday - thank you for reassuring me about GAD, i had a feeling the bad reviews were of students who slacked and got weeded out.

and about the heads, i draw them from observation, we have hundreds of them at the studio so people can draw them from life. and my drawing instructor advised me against drawing people at random places, since they move too much and it would be too hard to capture the gesture, idk anymore. i told him that the college wants mostly figure drawings but he disagrees with me... well, i guess i can always draw from pictures at home and then review them with my instructor maybe. and still lives, heh, i've always found them so boring and i figured maybe the admission is kinda sick of them as well, but i guess i'm going to make a piece or two, just in case.
    oh and btw, are paintings required or can you pass with works in grayscale only(except for some chalk pastels, sepia, etc.)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vi_ View Post
    my drawing instructor advised me against drawing people at random places, since they move too much and it would be too hard to capture the gesture, idk anymore. i told him that the college wants mostly figure drawings but he disagrees with me... well, i guess i can always draw from pictures at home and then review them with my instructor maybe. and still lives, heh, i've always found them so boring and i figured maybe the admission is kinda sick of them as well, but i guess i'm going to make a piece or two, just in case.
    oh and btw, are paintings required or can you pass with works in grayscale only(except for some chalk pastels, sepia, etc.)?
    Your instructor is wrong. Now, your instructor probably values more polished work, which is a great thing, but figure and gesture remain incredibly important - not to mention useful. Go out people watching and draw from life - it is incredibly different from a photo. Your goal shouldn't be to make a perfect image but to capture life and communicate it in a believable way. I wouldn't say to submit much gestural people watching drawings in your portfolio however - unless they're good. Maybe assemble some onto one page for one of the ten pieces. People watching isn't something to get fantastic pieces from but is to make you better at drawing (usually makes you faster too!). I would say that most of your figurative work you submit should be a bit longer like 20, 30 minute stuff. But good work is good work and a page of good gestures will say a lot about your skill and understanding.

Yeah, everyone thinks still lives our boring but they remain a good gauge of skill and a good way to practice. It's still drawing from life and gives you that great bag of challenges + the time to really resolve drawing issues and get into the finer and subtler parts of finishing a drawing.

Last I knew paintings weren't required - but if they're good put them in. In my experience media doesn't matter much in portfolios, it's your observational skills and drawing ability to communicate.

When it comes down to it all you need is 10 super good works. It doesn't matter so much what they are or how they were done so long as the majority are from live observation (a few imaginary/mixed works can be good to give a sense of your tastes and how you incorporate the things you've learned from observational drawing into your personal work).

Thanks
    @vi I will later tonight
    @dizzy I submitted December 9th, they usually take 2-3 weeks, but there was vacation in between

Thanks
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaqschl...7628326175067/

Actually I forgot it is on the internet already so I could show my friends, sorry for double post

Thanks
    @Zaqschlanger Thanks.

I got my acceptance package today for GAD as well.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast