Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again guys

To help kill time and keep those pencils moving while waiting to hear back from Ringling, I've been hosting midnight drawing sessions over Skype with some animation friends from Columbia College Chicago. We play a character design game where we have a 1-hour time limit to design a character based off of a pre-chosen archetype and its traits. Afterwards, people e-mail me their designs and I post them on a blog, which I linked below. You can see some of our stuff from the last session here

http://midnightdrawingchallenge.blogspot.com/

If anyone is interested, you are more than welcome to join! We're doing it this upcoming Saturday, Feb 11th at 11:30pm (Central Standard Time). Feel free to add my Skype sn, which is kylecmeclopez

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helloo

To help kill time and keep those pencils moving while waiting to hear back from Ringing, I've been hosting Skype drawing sessions/character design games with some animation friends from Columbia College Chicago. It'd be cool to meet and draw with some of my fellow hopefuls on this thread - I'd post more info but I guess concept art has a strict filter, so anyone who wants to join can message me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! I'm new here but I feel like I should post. A week ago I got accepted into GAD which I was overjoyed about! I applied as a transfer but they placed me in as a freshman. I tried last year but I didn't get in, so I'm proud of myself that I was able to do it this year.

A few questions that I do have though is scholarships and grants I could receive. I have a 3.7 at the moment but how the semester is going it'll lower a bit. I really need anything that could possibly work cause I literally can't leave college with debt or very little due to medication costs. It'll most likely that I would have to pay out of pocket for this medication once my second insurance drops when I'm 21. Luckily my parents can pay 20,000 a year and of course I'm going to do a work study and have a summer job if I go. So are there any scholarships or grants that you guys know of? Or any websites that you've used? I've looked around but I'm pretty bad at finding them and only found a few that apply to me.

Also here is the portfolio I submitted for anyone who is interested: http://theaugurwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/35251744

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I guess my post didn't get posted?... Anyways

Hey everyone! I just signed up here just to talk on this forum. I got accepted into GAD last week. I was overjoyed especially that I tried last year but I didn't get accepted. I applied as a transfer but I would go in as a freshman.

For those who are curious here is the portfolio that I submitted: http://theaugurwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/35251744

I do have few questions which is about scholarships, grants, and trying to make it work. Unfortunately it seems very unlikely that I'll be able to go because of finances. My parents can pay a good portion a year but due to medical costs that I'll most likely have in the future, I literally can't have debt or at least very little. So I was wondering if you guys know any sites or scholarships/grants, etc.? I've found a few but I'm finding it difficult to find ones that apply to me. Thanks! I really hope I can figure out a way to make it work because this is my dream school and it kind of sucks if I can't go only because of a medication. Also, another question is how much does work study give you towards expenses? Thanks again!

Also congrats and good luck to everyone else! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wolf - unfortunately, Ringling just doesn't have a lot to offer its students in the way of scholarships. I called them a few weeks ago and was told that I could maybe, maybe get a couple thousand due to my GPA, but that is about it. Have you thought about attending a community college to get some basics out of the way first? (This is the route I'm going)

In the meantime, look in your community or state and see if you can get scholarships that will transfer to out of the area. Although my state doesn't allow scholarship funds to go to outside colleges (Arkansas is trying to fight major brain drain), you could always try. Many have suggested FastWeb in the past but I found that to be ultimately a useless endeavor. Here is a list of the scholarships that the Sarasota/Ringling community has: http://www.ringling.edu/index.php?id=459 I can't vouch for the effectiveness of getting them, but they are on the school's website so they must be at least a little useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bodied- Thanks for the response. Yeah I pretty much expected them to not give out a good amount of scholarships. So I've been looking else where.

I'm actually in community college at the moment, though it doesn't seem like any of my credits with transfer. Even though I've taken 3 drawing classes. An art history. Two English comp (though the one was below the starting class, if that makes sense.) and other studio classes. I mostly used community college to improve my portfolio because I didn't have a good high school art teacher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    None of your credits will transfer? If you are taking some basic classes and liberal arts courses, I don't see why they wouldn't give you a few hours, at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have created a group on deviantart for those who have been accepted to graduate in 2016 to get to know each other and stuff.

http://ringling-2016.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't show up

I made a group on deviantart for those who will be attending ringling in the fall. The main purpose is to get to know each other and hear what people are doing for their major.

http://ringling-2016.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zaqschlanger - Thanks! Still waiting to hear back from Ringling but I def will keep an eye on the group :]

I've been doing something kind of similar on Skype, just drawing with some freshman CA students from Ringling and some students from Columbia College. We've been doing 1-hour character design games and post all our stuff on a blog. Maybe this could be a way for us to know each other from this forum and draw...?

http://midnightdrawingchallenge.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome. =D
    I still am waiting for a response though. How long does it take to hear back for the CA program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bodied-Yes I am though I took mostly studio classes because I wanted to improve my portfolio and that was the only way to make sure that it would. So I'm really not too shocked if non transfer, the only one that may is one english credit. They haven't told me anything about it so I can only assume.

I think the CA students will know around early to mid-march. That's what it was like for the GAD major last year. The wait was torture, haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kyle, I actually met Adele Hawkins (one of the memebers of that blog) at the Ringling open house, she was making sure people were in the correct lines and chattign with people at the portfolio review

she's insanely nice, we talk on facebook at times

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zaqschlanger - Haha that's awesome, I recently added her as well (and yup, she is very very nice.) Fun coincidence

You should def join us, we draw on Skype every other weekend. Just one of the things I've been doing because as TheAugurWolf already mentioned, the wait to hear back really is torture @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kyle- That skype group thing seems awesome! Great idea.

Also I should just make a mention for people who are waiting to hear about scholarships that Ringling gives out. Around the beginning of April is when you'll know what they give you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll definitely try to join sometime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAugurWolf View Post
    bodied-Yes I am though I took mostly studio classes because I wanted to improve my portfolio and that was the only way to make sure that it would. So I'm really not too shocked if non transfer, the only one that may is one english credit. They haven't told me anything about it so I can only assume.

I think the CA students will know around early to mid-march. That's what it was like for the GAD major last year. The wait was torture, haha!
    Oh my gosh, that is such a long wait! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds gooood, and thanks! I had actually tried to let you all know about it before, but it never got through since CA is pretty strict on anything that looks like spam. I updated the blog with the infos on when we're meeting up again, so I hope to maybe draw with some of you then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied for the 2012 fall as well im 20 years old and transferring from Academy of Art in San Francisco (even though im a tampa native which is around 30 min away) What if i submitted actual animations. My portfolio had some drawn from life cloths, the human torso, a picture of house i did in charcoals, but i submitted animations. I did a claymation project, and a puppet i made from scratch that was animated using stop motion as well as a 3D body i made in maya and photoshop work. Oh and a picture of Homer Simpson shaded and what not. what do you think / feel about that as far as acceptance. I didn't include many gestures..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they dislike copying from images, they prefer you seeing something and drawing it. They also say pretty strongly that no matter what major, do not submit animations if I recall correctly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @meglo
    I may be wrong, but I think with animations, it goes along the lines of, don't submit, unless you are "really" good. If your work is of a good enough quality, I think it actually is a good thing, but most of the time, when someone submits an animation it is just showcasing their weak points, and bad habits they learned, and not showing their technical skills, and ability to learn and observe.
    I think it goes along the same lines of, they want most of your portfolio to be based on observation, but i know i read somewhere, if you can create an excellent dragon, (like professional level) it doesn't hurt to show that. They want to see that you have the skills and talents, and observational skills to learn what they need to teach you. they don't want to see learning, but rather your best available work, showcasing your strongest points.
    IMO i think it doesn't deny you acceptance if you have animations, but I hope that these animations you are showcasing only show off your good skills. I remember reading, most schools like when a student comes in as a blank slate in certain areas, so they don't have to break bad habits and reteach. so if you are only showing a good foundation and good animation skills showing your best work, and abilities, i don't think you need to worry too much. other wise... what more can i say?

but again, this is all from my limited understanding.
    hope it helps.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, first time posting. Just got my acceptance letter! As far as the animation issue goes, I'd never heard not to submit anything so I did send in a short 10 second clip. I don't see what the harm is if you're adding a short one in to an already strong portfolio with what they're asking for explicitly. Themegagod does have a point though.
    Go with your gut, if you think it's worth it then do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats lilypad! If I may ask, what did you decide to major in? I'm still torturing myself over the wait for CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats to those getting in! ^^

Hey, so I have a question about students who live on campus. I feel like it's a dumb question...lol.

So, students...ARE allowed to bring their car right? I mean, even though you're living on campus? I'm only asking because I'm not sure how it works there. I know all schools have parking spots made for visitors, staff, and students who have to drive to class if they aren't living on campus. But is there a certain parking lot for students living in the dorms?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bodied View Post
    Congrats lilypad! If I may ask, what did you decide to major in? I'm still torturing myself over the wait for CA
    Thanks! I can't remember if I submitted for Illustration or Undeclared, but either way my letter says Undeclared. I only didn't apply for CA because I feel like I don't have a portfolio to constitute applying for it. I'm torn between CA and Illustration though, hard choice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhhmantha View Post
    So, students...ARE allowed to bring their car right? I mean, even though you're living on campus? I'm only asking because I'm not sure how it works there. I know all schools have parking spots made for visitors, staff, and students who have to drive to class if they aren't living on campus. But is there a certain parking lot for students living in the dorms?
    YES. You just have to make sure you register it/get the parking sticker/whatever it is thing. I obviously don't have a car - but plenty of people do. There are several lots where students can park.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to let you all know i spoke to an admissions rep today and CA decisions haven't been finalized yet. just thought i'd give you a heads up! i know im anxious to hear.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meglo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only a few more weeks, friends! Hopefully it'll be early March and not later.

To be honest, I've been pretty patient this entire time up until this week. Suddenly I realize how close I am to knowing and nervousness is beginning to really set in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel the same way! I've been handling it pretty well up until yesterday. Now I just wish the suspense would end. I'm crossing my fingers the letters come by the end of the week. I've heard some years they do...

Guess I'll have to wait and see. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much waiting! @_@
    I just want to get the anticipation over with.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10