Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Limewax, can you tell us a little bit about your experience as a transfer student at Ringling? Hopefully I'll be accepted into CA, but I've always wondered how transfer students fare at the college. What kinds of classes did you transfer in?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hello ringling-ers, not a hopeful here but i do have a question that perhaps you could help me with:

what are conidered the basic educational art topics at art level

for example perspective,figure drawing- what else is assessed and taught at a foundation level?

thank you
    Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FootstepsBeckon View Post
    what are conidered the basic educational art topics at art level
    drawing
    perspective
    figure drawing
    value
    color
    composition
    3d form
    visually communicating ideas
    use of media

Boiled down, these are the basics that are covered in Ringling's first year program and any decent foundations program. These topics can be covered by classes in a variety of ways but are consistently present and very fundamental.

Thanks
    thank you,lizzy. Would you mind expanding on the topics to let me know whats covered roughly in the subject material?
    Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    thank you,lizzy. Would you mind expanding on the topics to let me know whats covered roughly in the subject material?
    i second that, i would also like to know how they actually teach. are those studio classes with academic drawing/painting?

Thanks
    Hey everyone, newly registered member here xD! I'm another 2012 hopeful, applying as an undergraduate for Computer Animation.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling extremely anxious when it comes to my portfolio . Does anyone know exactly how much of an emphasis is based on nude gestures? I'm only 17 and all of the figure drawing classes in my area require attendants to be at least 18, so I wasn't able to get any nude studies/gestures in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjmthefool View Post
    Hey everyone, newly registered member here xD! I'm another 2012 hopeful, applying as an undergraduate for Computer Animation.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling extremely anxious when it comes to my portfolio . Does anyone know exactly how much of an emphasis is based on nude gestures? I'm only 17 and all of the figure drawing classes in my area require attendants to be at least 18, so I wasn't able to get any nude studies/gestures in my portfolio.
    i think it is ok if you don't have any nude figure studies, cuz as far as i understand all they want to see is if you are capable to draw/paint from observation/life and not from photos. they even said on their website that you can draw people in a cafeteria and send that in as a portfolio piece, anything that allows them to see how you observe the world around you.
    i'm a game art and design hopeful myself, so i understand your anxiousness, but don't worry, they're not looking for trained pros, just for people who want and have it in them to learn!

Thanks
    Mrj - they do place a pretty high emphasis on life drawing, but really what they want to know is if you can draw. Including some nice still lifes and accurately drawn pieces from life can help augment a portfolio that lacks some life drawing experience. A good GPA helps too

I'm not trying to be mean when I say this, but... if you do not get accepted but really want to go to Ringling, try taking some art classes at a local college/community college and try again! I'm a hopeful transfer student who went to an inexpensive state college first. It really helped me figure out how college worked and how to focus my studies in art. Good luck pal!

Thanks
    Mrj - It isn't important that the gestures be nude at all. But I was the same age as you when I applied. Have you tried contacting and explaining your situation to the figure instructors? Usually if you have parental consent you can get in with no problem.

Thanks
    Bodied-Thanks for the advice, and it didn't sound mean at all! I'll take it in to consideration if I don't get in this time around. Good luck to you too!

Addle-Unfortunately the one I tried wouldn't let me in even with parental consent. And it was the only one reasonably close to where I live, or else I would have tried more. I did manage to get some clothed gestures in though!

One more quick question with regards to the Common Application. Both my teacher evaluation and school report (done by my guidance counselor) have been submitted to the Common App, yet only my teacher evaluation form has been "downloaded by the college". The School Report only says "submitted". When I asked the people at Common App they said that it was because the form was submitted, but the college has yet to download it. Anyone else have this problem? They were both submitted about a few days ago, maybe it just needs more time?

Thanks
    I wont expand on these because these are basic universal topics and their coverage, methods taught, tastes, and opinions will vary by teacher, class, and school. Additionally there are tutorials, articles, and books upon books talking about any one of these subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vi_
    i second that, i would also like to know how they actually teach. are those studio classes with academic drawing/painting?
    Sorry for the miscommunication, but the topics I listed are not actual classes but just topics. To give an example for my freshman year these are the classes I took in the CORE program and what I felt ended up getting taught in them:

Drawing - primary: drawing, perspective, value. secondary: composition, media.
    Figure Drawing - primary: figure drawing, drawing. secondary: value, composition, visual ideas, media.
    3D Design - primary: 3D form, visual ideas, media. secondary: composition.
    Observational Color - primary: color, value. secondary: drawing, perspective, figure drawing, composition, media.
    Communication Design - primary: composition, visual ideas. secondary: color, drawing, media.

Since then the first year program has gone through a complete redesign. The classes are different and emphasis within them varies by major - but these are the same universal ideas that I'm sure are still covered in some combination in the program as they should be at any art school.

Thanks
    Hey everyone!

Wow, ok…I have a LOT of questions to ask. No, I’m not a hopeful for 2012…but hopefully some other year! I’ve been lurking around on these forums for a while reading about the hopefuls for 2010 and 2011 never decided to make an account to ask questions until now lol! I hope some of my questions don’t sound stupid. I’m 19 years old and recently started community college (about 2 weeks ago), and don’t know too much about how credits and everything work atm since I am just starting out, lol! Anyways here goes:

So, I’m debating on whether I should get my AA degree first or not. I mean, we can transfer even without completing the degree, correct? (I’m not sure, so if anyone knows…we can right? Has anyone done this before?) Is getting the degree first a really good plan? I’m just attending the college to improve my portfolio with some art classes.

I’m also VERY confused at how the courses work at ringling…I assumed that there would be math courses, english, etc. just like in any other college…but when I looked in this pamphlet I got in the mail from ringling that had a list of classes depending on what you’re taking like computer animation, illustration, etc…I saw all the art courses, but nothing relating to the general classes like English, Math, History, etc.? Are those classes not offered there?

About the recruiter visits, how does that work exactly? I know you get visited by many different companies…but what exactly happens when they visit?

For computer animation, why exactly is the deadline for that major earlier than others? I do want to get into computer animation.

Thanks
    Hey everyone, I'm a sophomore GAD at Ringling.
    I've frequented the Ringling Hopefuls threads for the last few years, but have been too busy as of late to check up on this one 8X If you have any questions, especially those geared towards the GAD major, I'd be glad to answer them, though I can answer all kinds of questions If you want to see the kind of stuff us sophomores are doing now - as well as work from freshman year - head over to my blog (in my signature)!

Mrjm - When I was applying I couldn't find and get into any figure drawing classes either. Even though observing from life is highly recommended, if you can't, there are plenty of great nude figure reference sites and stock sites you can use. You can search for references on DeviantArt, where they have a ton, or find some reference sites on your own like http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php, http://www.artsyposes.com/models, or http://www.gracefulnudes.com/main. As Addle said though, it's perfectly fine to draw clothed figures as well, but just make sure that you're still learning/practicing anatomy.

themegagod - It definitely is a LOT slower than previous years, and as you mentioned, I think it's also because Ringling's updated website makes it incredibly easy to get most of the info hopefuls were looking for in previous years, so most people don't feel the need to search beyond that. It's sad to see these threads die out after so many years, though 8\

You guys should share more of your portfolios and give crits! Everyone can always use more critique

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm a sophomore GAD at Ringling.
    I've frequented the Ringling Hopefuls threads for the last few years, but have been too busy as of late to check up on this one 8X If you have any questions, especially those geared towards the GAD major, I'd be glad to answer them, though I can answer all kinds of questions If you want to see the kind of stuff us sophomores are doing now - as well as work from freshman year - head over to my blog (in my signature)!

Mrjm - When I was applying I couldn't find and get into any figure drawing classes either. Even though observing from life is highly recommended, if you can't, there are plenty of great nude figure reference sites and stock sites you can use. You can search for references on DeviantArt, where they have a ton, or find some reference sites on your own like http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php, http://www.artsyposes.com/models, or http://www.gracefulnudes.com/main. As Addle said though, it's perfectly fine to draw clothed figures as well, but just make sure that you're still learning/practicing anatomy.

themegagod - It definitely is a LOT slower than previous years, and as you mentioned, I think it's also because Ringling's updated website makes it incredibly easy to get most of the info hopefuls were looking for in previous years, so most people don't feel the need to search beyond that. It's sad to see these threads die out after so many years, though 8\

You guys should share more of your portfolios and give crits! Everyone can always use more critique
    omg a GAD posting, i'm hoping to get into the program for fall this year. i was wondering, what do you think of the program so far, is it worth it, are the professors really educated about games or do they only know how to use the software. i have been reading all kinds of mixed reviews, and there are very few about GAD, so maybe you could tell me briefly what you think of it so far?
    and speaking of figure drawing... if i get many gypsum heads and bodies instead, will they like that in a portfolio for GAD? i have no way of getting any figure drawing classes here, since the only place where they host them they're reserved for the students of the academy of art only...

Thanks
    Hey everyone! I could have sworn I replied in this thread. I had a lot of questions...lol! Ah well. Maybe it didn't go through? (if it ends up going through and you see that post, just ignore this message lol!) Anyways, I'm not really a hopeful for the 2012 fall year but actually for 2013. I want to get into computer animation. I'm currently in comm. college to work on my portfolio some more taking art courses and whatnot. I was kinda wondering if there were others who transferred but without completing their associates? I'm debating on whether I should or not.

And also for everyone in their final year at ringling: How does the whole recruiter visit work out? What exactly happens when they visit?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast