Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls

Thanks
    This thread is really interesting! I'm applying to Ringling (bfa in illustration) in addition to a lot of other art and design schools, so reading this was very helpful. Thanks a lot everyone who posted questions and advice!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Ringling hopeful here - critiques appreciated!

I applied to both SCAD and Ringling for Computer Animation. I'm anxiously waiting for some kind of signal! It's a bit late to revise the portfolio now, but would anyone mind critiquing it or looking at it from the perspective of the academic advisers? It's this album. I'll hopefully transfer some 17 or 18 classes (I hope!!) but I come from a small university where I wasn't really surrounded by lots of people trying to get better :/ so now I'm hoping that my work is good enough to just get in, let alone get a tiny scholarship.

I was accepted to SCAD with a 13k scholarship, but since I'll be living off campus and won't be a full time student (transferring half the curriculum) it really comes down to about $1444 per class I take. Which is less than what I was hoping for, but I think it might be partially because I was transferring so much credit. My SCAD portfolio is here: [link] Again, I'd really appreciate feedback since there's apparently a chance to appeal it (somehow?).

I like my university, but I feel like I was pushed to do more thematic work and, as a result, maybe have not developed as much technically as I should have. The thematic work shows up more in the SCAD portfolio, which is mostly work that I've been doing to get ready for my senior show in uni. I'm glad I went to the little school first because it was free and I'm getting a BFA in just three years, but I am ready to be pushed even further.

For what it's worth, I transferred two years of college credit with a 4.0, an ACT score of 32, and a bunch of AP credits from high school.

Thanks
    I applied here, crossing my fingers. Here's my portfolio http://imgur.com/a/g6wyX. I'll be a 20 year old transfer student so I hope to get credit for maybe 18 courses. My university is pretty small but I have a 4.0 and am about to finish my BFA after just three years and a 32 ACT, so I'm trying to stay optimistic. What do you guys think? It's too late to change it now but any critiques/thoughts on acceptance? would be nice.

It seems like my university stressed thematic development over technical skills. My SCAD portfolio's here http://imgur.com/a/9Nk4o. If you want you can critique that too It's got work that's more geared toward my senior show. Is that kind of the norm of smaller state universities?
    Last edited by bodied; December 31st, 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: because of reasons

Thanks
    Hey bodied, I'm in the same boat! I'm a 2012 transfer hopeful as well (applying to CA) but I haven't turned my portfolio in just yet. Best of luck to you!

I also know I'm a bit late to the crit game, but if anyone would pleaaase be so kind to look over my portfolio... mine contains dry media (with the exception of some marker stuff) and it's mostly monochromatic for the sake of concentrating on form itself. I'm hurting for some feedback, so please don't hesitate to be harsh...

My current portfolio. ---> http://imgur.com/a/Wr4yI

(I think I have a few too many pieces as well, so I'm certainly open to suggestions for what I should cut.)
    Last edited by KyleDrawer11; December 31st, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Whoa, I applied for CA too! I took a look at your portfolio KyleDrawer. It looks very nice, I might leave out the clay piece and the character though. The minimum a transfer student needs is 15 pieces. Want to take a look at mine? http://imgur.com/a/g6wyX I wish I had posted it here before I submitted because now I think maybe I could have used some more figures.

Were you a BFA at a state college as well?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gvuyfgi987qeq View Post
    I know... i ask a lot... but any help you can give, again is much appreciated.
    and yes mostly this is directed towards copperfire, but if anyone has any insight- please be my guest to answer anything... chances are you know A LOT more than i do.
    What? Someone say my name?

I don't come on here much anymore since I've gotten crazy busy with thesis, so if you really want to ask me something feel free to shoot me an email, and please, don't worry about bothering me, I'm always happy to help

adailey[at]c.ringling.edu

(this goes for everyone !)
    Last edited by Elwell; January 6th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    @kyleDrawer11 I already talked emailed you about your portfolio good stuff overall.

@bodied I know its a bit late but I figured this could still help in your overall development. I think you could have included more gesture drawings. The ones you have now arent bad but the poses in general are a bit stiff. When drawing gestures try to think more about what the figure is doing rather than just copying what you see. Check out these guys, http://woohoopictures.blogspot.com/2...-gestures.html and http://thefirehousestomp.blogspot.co.../tuedsday.html. Even though they are simplifying a lot and relying on shapes the drawings feel like they possess life. This doesn't mean yours are bad Im still struggling with gestures.

Concerning your paintings and longer rendered drawings the main issue is your values. When I squint at them the values are too close to really differentiate anything. Try to think of things more as darks on lights or vise versa. When you look at these http://chapter-56.blogspot.com/2011/06/hermit-crab.html and http://giro3d.blogspot.com/2008/11/drama.html you can see how the important pieces of information come out at you because of the value difference. (light on dark or dark on light)

I hope that helps!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yyates05 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yyates - I see what you mean! I took them into Photoshop and used grayscale mode - what a difference! I'm planning on doing some little studies and I'll really be sure to include more variety in tone.

I really wish I had more access to a model, our school doesn't have life drawing in the spring semester. My teacher pushed me to be accurate with proportion and precise linework but I think I could use a little more anatomy work. Now I want to go people watching again and draw more folks in motion.

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Hey there !!!!! As I said in another thread, I am an applicant to the CA course. I come from Italy, and I never took any art course so I think it'll be pretty hard for me to get in I'll try anyways because drawing is always been a passion of mine. I'm finally done with the 5 exercises required and I've also done some additional drawings. I've got a problem, though : my personal essay is 674 words long, and the commonapp says it has to be between 250-500 words Should I take some parts down, or do you think i should leave it as it is right now ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Legavil View Post
    my personal essay is 674 words long, and the commonapp says it has to be between 250-500 words Should I take some parts down, or do you think i should leave it as it is right now ?
    Definitely trim it down. Admission counselors have to read tons of essays - they won't want to look at anything that is too long. Make some of your arguments more concise, or take any extraneous information out.

Thanks
    Sorry for the late response!

bodied- Thanks! My school didn't offer BFA for animation, just regular BA. You have some nice stuff as well, particularly the vending machine piece. What medium did you use for that one?
    And if you're having trouble getting access for some figure drawing, Pixel Lovely is a nice resource to practice gestures in the meantime -----> http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

yyates05- Awesome, thanks again!

Legavil - I had the same issue with my personal essay and called Ringling's admissions to check if it was ok to go over that 500 word count limit. They said it was definitely fine as long as it didn't turn out to be a novel or anything. They seem really flexible, but I'd say to ask them yourself too just to be sure. I finished at 639 words... still a bit long but I made sure every word counted (pun intended )

Happy New Years everyone!
    Last edited by KyleDrawer11; January 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    KyleDrawer - Thanks! The vending machine was done with pen and ink wash. You might not believe it, but it's cold in front of those things! and omg, that link is awesome! I had no idea there was something like that! Definitely bookmarking it.

Thanks
    bodied - I did as you said and it is now 550 words =D Thanks !!!!
    KyleDrawer11 - I tried to call the admissions office but they didn't answer so I decided to just fix it and I think it can work as it is now =) Thank you for your advice ! =)

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast