Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    @Zaqschlanger Thanks.

I got my acceptance package today for GAD as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @Dizzycat, hope I'll be seeing you there

Thanks
    @DizzyCat and Zaqschlanger: Congrats!

Thanks
    @Zaqschlanger: what was your GPA when applying?

@Dizzycat can you post up your portfolio as well, plus what your gpa was?

Last edited by themegagod; January 28th, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: additional comment
    Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    @Lizzybeth - thank you for your insight, it was very helpful. yea, i agree that drawing from life is the most important aspect, hence i'm taking courses right now to work on that, it's always nice when there is someone besides you who can point out your mistakes and explain how to fix them. and speaking of figures, i looked at Zaqschlanger portfolio and he didn't have figure studies or gestures(unless he left them out), but he still got in. i think people are a little bit hooked on the CA major, i have a feeling that GAD isn't really looking for figure drawings as much as perspective, since GAD is geared towards environments where perspective is of utmost importance imo. i will still try to find some way of getting figure drawings from life regardless, however i can't go out on the streets and draw since i live in the colder parts of Europe and it's -15C° on average during the day right now - way too cold to sit outside and draw
    about the still life drawings, could i maybe submit basic geometric shapes instead? i think they show more one's ability since you have to have a good sense of perspective and value, or would you still advise to go with the traditional still lives with tea pots, apples and other daily life objects? sorry for so many trivial questions, it's just that i'm completely unfamiliar with american university applications. here we have only traditional fine arts academies and universities which focus exclusively on 14th-19th century old masters and you apply by going to an entrance exam where you draw objects they present you with, such as complex geometric shapes, plaster/gypsum heads and sometimes still life. so the whole portfolio deal is alien to me, i'm very unsure what to include in my application.

@DizzyCat - i join Themegagod, i want to see your portfolio as well

and congratulations to both of you - DizzyCat and Zaqschlanger!

Thanks
    I'll try to get my portfolio online, but it's nothing spectacular. I'm quite surprised I even managed to get in. One interesting thing was I didn't include any figure drawing at all. All of it consisted of houses/rooms, animals, statues, or portraits. However, I didn't take any formal art classes. Not sure if they considered or knew that.

My GPA was 3.6. It would have been higher, but due to some circumstances (which I explained in the application) it's stuck at that.

Thanks
    My GPA was 3.53, mostly due to the fact that it was unweighted and I didn't do greatly in Phys. Ed in 11th grade

Thanks
    Wow, congrats to the GADers getting in! I'm pretty surprised that they're letting people know so early. When do CA applicants typically hear from admissions?

Thanks
    @Lizzybeth - thank you for your insight, it was very helpful. yea, i agree that drawing from life is the most important aspect, hence i'm taking courses right now to work on that, it's always nice when there is someone besides you who can point out your mistakes and explain how to fix them. and speaking of figures, i looked at Zaqschlanger portfolio and he didn't have figure studies or gestures(unless he left them out), but he still got in (also DizzyCat just said he didn't have any figure drawings as well). i think people are a little bit hooked on the CA major, i have a feeling that GAD isn't really looking for figure drawings as much as perspective, since GAD is geared towards environments where perspective is of utmost importance imo. i will still try to find some way of getting figure drawings from life regardless, however i can't go out on the streets and draw since i live in the colder parts of Europe and it's -15C° on average during the day right now - way too cold to sit outside and draw
    about the still life drawings, could i maybe submit basic geometric shapes instead? i think they show more one's ability since you have to have a good sense of perspective and value, or would you still advise to go with the traditional still lives with tea pots, apples and other daily life objects? sorry for so many trivial questions, it's just that i'm completely unfamiliar with american university applications. here we have only traditional fine arts academies and universities which focus exclusively on 14th-19th century old masters and you apply by going to an entrance exam where you draw objects they present you with, such as complex geometric shapes, plaster/gypsum heads and sometimes still life. so the whole portfolio deal is alien to me, i'm very unsure what to include in my application.

@DizzyCat - i join Themegagod, i want to see your portfolio as well

and congratulations to both of you - DizzyCat and Zaqschlanger - for getting into GAD!

Thanks
    hey guys, I got accepted to ringling a couple of days ago. My question is, when will I know if I am getting a scholarship? Or would I already know if i was geting one? Unfortunatley I cannot afford to go without one. Thanksfor your help.

Thanks
    Whaaa, they're letting people know that they're accepted already? 0_o I think us CA hopefuls will have to wait longer though since I received an e-mail a few days ago saying that my application had been received and they are going to begin reviews soon. If I recall correctly, we're also the only major to have an absolute deadline in January since CA does not have rolling admissions (I believe on the CommonApp it said July was the deadline for other majors).

Thanks
    yeah, I applied for illustration, i wanna do concept art. I also got an email a couple of days before I got a letter in the mail.

Thanks
    Congrats, pfloyd! Wish I could help you with the scholarships question, but I'd recommend calling admissions or financial aid to find out since they would probably know more about the notification details

Thanks
    pfloyd, have you submitted your FAFSA? Ringling does not offer any scholarships to applicants if they don't have a FAFSA from you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleDrawer11 View Post
    Whaaa, they're letting people know that they're accepted already? 0_o I think us CA hopefuls will have to wait longer though since I received an e-mail a few days ago saying that my application had been received and they are going to begin reviews soon. If I recall correctly, we're also the only major to have an absolute deadline in January since CA does not have rolling admissions (I believe on the CommonApp it said July was the deadline for other majors).
    I got the same email you're talking about a few days ago as well. I honestly wish we didn't have to wait an a little over an entire month more, but ah well. What can you do? Here's hoping for the best! I've got my fingers crossed.

Though, one thing that confuses me is that I keep hearing mixed opinions from people on the acceptance rate in CA at Ringling. I've heard many folks say that Ringling is fairly easy to get into and that I shouldn't worry so much, and yet others have told me that it's ridiculously competitive and difficult to get into-- so which is true?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintleaf View Post
    I've heard many folks say that Ringling is fairly easy to get into and that I shouldn't worry so much, and yet others have told me that it's ridiculously competitive and difficult to get into-- so which is true?
    I've heard the CA department in particular is hard to get in. Maybe the school in general is about average difficulty, but CA is the toughest department to be accepted to. They have about 60 slots open per year - including transfers. However, I make decisions with my portfolio as if the requirements are really stringent. The best critic you have is yourself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks bodied, I have another question. I was hoping to focus on gaming or movie concept art so i applied for illustration, however I'm starting to worry that I should be doing game art and design instead. Plus, I'm really not that into traditional mediums, i much prefer using a computer. Should i be switching majors? and, can I? I should probably just talk to the school about all of this.

Thanks
    Well, from what I understand, Game Art is more about being able to design levels and video games more than how they look. Programming, level maps, creating models for games, and how to create an interactive experience is what I think they focus more on. Illustration is taking someone's idea and giving it a visual form. I could be wrong though, are there any GADers that could answer better?

Thanks
    @bodied
    That is about right. The schools admissions difficulty is about average, but CA is the exception. roughly 300+ applicants to 60 or so slots.

@pfloyd
    Are you going to dismiss traditional media even if it will make you a better digital artist? Be open minded. Odds are the school knows a bit better how to make you a good artist than you know right now. Game Art at Ringling is not about concept art. They spend most of their time in UDK where illustrators spend most of our time drawing and painting.

Thanks
    @Pfloyd - while GAD might focus more on the 3D aspect, if u want to get into the industry you must be familiar with how games work and are made, not only from the illustration and conceptual point, but how to get from that concept to a fully working game imo. i actually want to become concept artist myself, but i will apply for GAD to gain general insight and understanding of how games work and where concept art comes into play. you can always work on your painting skills on the side, especially since ringling, as i have heard, gives you good foundations in traditional art.

just my 2 cents, that's my verdict from all the research i've done so far...

Thanks
    @Pfloyd - I am no expert, but I figured I throw what I understand the GAD program to be like around, until someone from the program sheds some additional light onto your situation. It would seem that GAD does focus a lot on using computers, but as well it focuses on several aspects of the entire game making process. From figuring out what the definition of fun is through trial and error, to understanding marketing and development until one has a finished product.
    though level design seems to be one of the main focal points based on various blogs, and videos I've seen GADs post up, I have also seen many character designs and story designs. If you watch the thesis films that the graduating/graduated Alums seem to have up, you will see that a lot goes into the program besides working on concept art on the computer.

Illustration, again from my understanding (which is very lacking), focuses more on creating striking and purposeful still images. Though there is a focus on traditional media, I would be very surprised if you didn't learn, or were not expected to start eventually using digital media. digital media is what is generally used professionally nowadays, at least at some point within the concept art process, so it seems like it would be foolish if illustrators weren't eventually taught how to use digital mediums.
    but with that said, all of the programs begin with a foundation year. I'm not sure if these all focus on the use of traditional media, but It wouldn't surprise me if in many of the freshman classes they did emphasize traditional media. The school was voted #1 most wired college for something; and i doubt they would give every student a computer if you weren't expected to use it, but traditional background is important.
    If you read about companies which are established, talking about their hiring, many have said that they are more willing to hire those with traditional backgrounds than those who focused on only modern ways of doing things, and only know how to use select programs. in other words, if you know how to paint traditionally, it is widely thought that you can be taught how to paint digitally. If you are only able to paint digitally, if the programs evolve or change beyond your comfort zone, you are unable to catch up. (this is how I understand it, I may be completely wrong).

I'd say go with your gut - no one knows what you want like you do. If all you want to do is work in a pencil to paper style, even if it's digitally, my best guess would be go into illustration. If you want to be actively involved with creating an immerse digital world from start to finish, become a GAD.

personally, (since people have been saying why they want to choose their programs) I want to become a Game designer, and eventually become an Art director for video games. A part of me still struggles with wanting to animate for video games, but I figure since my main goal is working in the gaming industry, I can teach myself animation as a side project (though nothing near what a CA will be able to do).

Thanks
    Thanks for the help, I'm thinking right now I should just go into illustration and take electives from the game design major. Besides, the first year at ringling seems to be about the same for everyone so i can always change majors when i get there.

Thanks
    @Pfloyd - as far as i know you cannot take electives is neither GAD or CA.

Thanks
    pfloyd - Be prepared if you decide to switch majors - I have a friend who's a freshman GAD and was thinking about switching to CA, but it wasn't as easy as just talking to a counselor. In order to do so she had to re-apply with another portfolio.

But then again, CA's their most exclusive program, so I wouldn't know if this is the general procedure for all majors.

Thanks
    That's a bummer. Well, I'm pretty confident i should be in Illustrations, besides it might actually be too late anyway. Another question: is there any projects between majors where someone from illustration would get to work with someone from game art or animation? in general is there a lot of collaboration between majors?

Thanks
    @pfloyd

I would recommend as you are going through the illustration program, spend time checking out the tutorial dvds by concept artists. If you can afford it spend some time during the summer doing an online or in person concept art workshop. Most people waste a lot of time during the summer when this is really your chance to practice your skills on your own. Additionally, go to FEWs(figure drawing club) everyday.

Currently, their are no projects you can do with GAD or CA, but more and more we are doing collaborative projects. This is the first year I have heard of a GAD CA project team. It may not be far off before their is an ILL GAD CA team. That is of course if a certain head of the department doesn't get too noisy. Also, you should know that much of the beginning year is shared between GAD CA and ILL.

Thanks
    Hey! I applied to the animation program and Ringling recently. I'm really hoping to get it, animation is the only thing I have my mind set on. After looking at other people's portfolio's, I'm a bit nervous to say the least, haha.
    Here is my artwork I used for my portfolio. Well, most of it. I didn't submit a few things.
    http://brookiesaurous.deviantart.com/gallery/

So if you could tell me what you think, or my chances. Things I could work on and such. I haven't had a figure class, so I was only able to submit observational self portraits.

Thanks
    @Brookiesaurus:
    I can't tell you what your chances are, I think that would depend on a combination of not only your portfolio, but also your GPA, how many people applied, how many available seats there are, how many people can afford to pay for the classes, and probably a host of other things, I haven't the slightest clue about.
    what I will say, right off of the bat, is you should have cropped off any pieces of the photo not belonging to your image (such as your pointillism self portrait has the table in the BG), and from what I understand, you want to steer clear of copy-righted characters, and images.
    and yes that second critique is coming from a guy who plans on submitting a painting with Cartman of Southpark's face plastered on it, but I think in your image of Edward, it looks much too much like a copy of a photo, where as with mine (my hope is at least) that the focal point is on the body, and I took enough creative liberties that that is not an issue.

I would say, where you could work, would be to delve deeper into the darkest darks and to also add in some highlights throughout, as you seem to be lacking some contrast in your images. I notice you said under some of your images it was your first time using some of the mediums, and I will give you some advice I was told when I went to a portfolio day last year. don't worry so much about experimenting and showing off that you can use different media, work in what you know, and show your best work. about figures, And I have the same problem as you, no classes; people have told me to just draw people. draw them in a coffee shop, draw a friend sitting, gesture people moving. look at other people's portfolios, and look at what Ringling has on their website as examples. not all of the images look 100% complete, especially the gestures but they show the human body and internal character.
    In fact, I was told at another time, if you can capture a clothed model and do it well, It shows just as much, if not sometimes more skill than a nude figure, as to capture the true texture of a material, to make a viewer feel the weight of the cloth, is a hard skill.

In terms of what you do/did well, I will say that your digital skills seem to be quite good. many of the pieces until reading the description I didn't realize were not traditional media. of all of the pieces that I would pick to be my favorite of the batch, I would choose either the pointillism self portrait, due to the simplicity yet fully rendered downward facing face, or the colored pencil still life, for being a full bodied and vivid image, with an interesting composition.

With all of that said,
    This is all IMO. I could be completely wrong in many places, as I am far from anyone's expert. If you can take what I said and put it to good use, I'm glad to help. If you feel I'm full of BS, thank you for at least reading this far.
    lol
    good luck!

Thanks
    Thank you. As I said, some of those I did not submit, because I was aware of copyright. Though it is not from a photo, but it is from a action figure I have at home. Just didn't want to chance it. And also, the ones I did submitted on the slidingroom site for Ringling, I did crop the images that needed it. =]
    As for the different medias, there were actually classroom assignments, so I had no choice in that matter. But after that class, I had learned new mediums that I really enjoy. I have had only one college art class unfortunately.
    I did apply for Ringling 3 days before the deadline. When I applied, I had no clue there was a deadline. So I looked through all my art, and grabbed what I thought were my best pieces. So unfortunately I wasn't able to through my art, fix pieces, or add any new material.
    I thank you for your opinion. Deep shadows are something I do need to work on. But over time, I have been getting better at it. In the future I will attempt to work on these areas. Thank you. =]

Thanks
    I replied but it never posted?...
    Well... I had said a few thing as a response.
    Once would be, for the images that needed cropped, I did that before submission. Copyright images I did not submit because I wasn't sure about the rules for it, so just to be safe. Even though it was from a action figure I have at home. ^^;
    Yes, I agree, I could go farther with my lights and darks. I have gotten better with it. I'm getting there haha. =]
    Also, I never thought of that for gestures. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.
    As for the doing different mediums, none of it was my choice. They were class projects. Otherwise I probably would have never done them. But most of them turned out nice so I decided to submit it.
    Thank you! For the pointillism image. My teacher really loved it as well. It's one of my favorites.
    As a note, I did apply for the college 3 days before the deadline(I did not know there was a deadline). So I wasn't able to make anything new for it, or fix anything.
    So I thank you for your opinions and criticisms! =D I will take note of them, and try to implement.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Brookiesaurus For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10