Ringling College of Art and Design 2012 Hopefuls - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Limewax, can you tell us a little bit about your experience as a transfer student at Ringling? Hopefully I'll be accepted into CA, but I've always wondered how transfer students fare at the college. What kinds of classes did you transfer in?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello ringling-ers, not a hopeful here but i do have a question that perhaps you could help me with:

what are conidered the basic educational art topics at art level

for example perspective,figure drawing- what else is assessed and taught at a foundation level?

thank you

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FootstepsBeckon View Post
    what are conidered the basic educational art topics at art level
    drawing
    perspective
    figure drawing
    value
    color
    composition
    3d form
    visually communicating ideas
    use of media

Boiled down, these are the basics that are covered in Ringling's first year program and any decent foundations program. These topics can be covered by classes in a variety of ways but are consistently present and very fundamental.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you,lizzy. Would you mind expanding on the topics to let me know whats covered roughly in the subject material?

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you,lizzy. Would you mind expanding on the topics to let me know whats covered roughly in the subject material?
    i second that, i would also like to know how they actually teach. are those studio classes with academic drawing/painting?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, newly registered member here xD! I'm another 2012 hopeful, applying as an undergraduate for Computer Animation.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling extremely anxious when it comes to my portfolio . Does anyone know exactly how much of an emphasis is based on nude gestures? I'm only 17 and all of the figure drawing classes in my area require attendants to be at least 18, so I wasn't able to get any nude studies/gestures in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjmthefool View Post
    Hey everyone, newly registered member here xD! I'm another 2012 hopeful, applying as an undergraduate for Computer Animation.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling extremely anxious when it comes to my portfolio . Does anyone know exactly how much of an emphasis is based on nude gestures? I'm only 17 and all of the figure drawing classes in my area require attendants to be at least 18, so I wasn't able to get any nude studies/gestures in my portfolio.
    i think it is ok if you don't have any nude figure studies, cuz as far as i understand all they want to see is if you are capable to draw/paint from observation/life and not from photos. they even said on their website that you can draw people in a cafeteria and send that in as a portfolio piece, anything that allows them to see how you observe the world around you.
    i'm a game art and design hopeful myself, so i understand your anxiousness, but don't worry, they're not looking for trained pros, just for people who want and have it in them to learn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mrj - they do place a pretty high emphasis on life drawing, but really what they want to know is if you can draw. Including some nice still lifes and accurately drawn pieces from life can help augment a portfolio that lacks some life drawing experience. A good GPA helps too

I'm not trying to be mean when I say this, but... if you do not get accepted but really want to go to Ringling, try taking some art classes at a local college/community college and try again! I'm a hopeful transfer student who went to an inexpensive state college first. It really helped me figure out how college worked and how to focus my studies in art. Good luck pal!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mrj - It isn't important that the gestures be nude at all. But I was the same age as you when I applied. Have you tried contacting and explaining your situation to the figure instructors? Usually if you have parental consent you can get in with no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bodied-Thanks for the advice, and it didn't sound mean at all! I'll take it in to consideration if I don't get in this time around. Good luck to you too!

Addle-Unfortunately the one I tried wouldn't let me in even with parental consent. And it was the only one reasonably close to where I live, or else I would have tried more. I did manage to get some clothed gestures in though!

One more quick question with regards to the Common Application. Both my teacher evaluation and school report (done by my guidance counselor) have been submitted to the Common App, yet only my teacher evaluation form has been "downloaded by the college". The School Report only says "submitted". When I asked the people at Common App they said that it was because the form was submitted, but the college has yet to download it. Anyone else have this problem? They were both submitted about a few days ago, maybe it just needs more time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wont expand on these because these are basic universal topics and their coverage, methods taught, tastes, and opinions will vary by teacher, class, and school. Additionally there are tutorials, articles, and books upon books talking about any one of these subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vi_
    i second that, i would also like to know how they actually teach. are those studio classes with academic drawing/painting?
    Sorry for the miscommunication, but the topics I listed are not actual classes but just topics. To give an example for my freshman year these are the classes I took in the CORE program and what I felt ended up getting taught in them:

Drawing - primary: drawing, perspective, value. secondary: composition, media.
    Figure Drawing - primary: figure drawing, drawing. secondary: value, composition, visual ideas, media.
    3D Design - primary: 3D form, visual ideas, media. secondary: composition.
    Observational Color - primary: color, value. secondary: drawing, perspective, figure drawing, composition, media.
    Communication Design - primary: composition, visual ideas. secondary: color, drawing, media.

Since then the first year program has gone through a complete redesign. The classes are different and emphasis within them varies by major - but these are the same universal ideas that I'm sure are still covered in some combination in the program as they should be at any art school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone!

Wow, ok…I have a LOT of questions to ask. No, I’m not a hopeful for 2012…but hopefully some other year! I’ve been lurking around on these forums for a while reading about the hopefuls for 2010 and 2011 never decided to make an account to ask questions until now lol! I hope some of my questions don’t sound stupid. I’m 19 years old and recently started community college (about 2 weeks ago), and don’t know too much about how credits and everything work atm since I am just starting out, lol! Anyways here goes:

So, I’m debating on whether I should get my AA degree first or not. I mean, we can transfer even without completing the degree, correct? (I’m not sure, so if anyone knows…we can right? Has anyone done this before?) Is getting the degree first a really good plan? I’m just attending the college to improve my portfolio with some art classes.

I’m also VERY confused at how the courses work at ringling…I assumed that there would be math courses, english, etc. just like in any other college…but when I looked in this pamphlet I got in the mail from ringling that had a list of classes depending on what you’re taking like computer animation, illustration, etc…I saw all the art courses, but nothing relating to the general classes like English, Math, History, etc.? Are those classes not offered there?

About the recruiter visits, how does that work exactly? I know you get visited by many different companies…but what exactly happens when they visit?

For computer animation, why exactly is the deadline for that major earlier than others? I do want to get into computer animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I'm a sophomore GAD at Ringling.
    I've frequented the Ringling Hopefuls threads for the last few years, but have been too busy as of late to check up on this one 8X If you have any questions, especially those geared towards the GAD major, I'd be glad to answer them, though I can answer all kinds of questions If you want to see the kind of stuff us sophomores are doing now - as well as work from freshman year - head over to my blog (in my signature)!

Mrjm - When I was applying I couldn't find and get into any figure drawing classes either. Even though observing from life is highly recommended, if you can't, there are plenty of great nude figure reference sites and stock sites you can use. You can search for references on DeviantArt, where they have a ton, or find some reference sites on your own like http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php, http://www.artsyposes.com/models, or http://www.gracefulnudes.com/main. As Addle said though, it's perfectly fine to draw clothed figures as well, but just make sure that you're still learning/practicing anatomy.

themegagod - It definitely is a LOT slower than previous years, and as you mentioned, I think it's also because Ringling's updated website makes it incredibly easy to get most of the info hopefuls were looking for in previous years, so most people don't feel the need to search beyond that. It's sad to see these threads die out after so many years, though 8\

You guys should share more of your portfolios and give crits! Everyone can always use more critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm a sophomore GAD at Ringling.
    I've frequented the Ringling Hopefuls threads for the last few years, but have been too busy as of late to check up on this one 8X If you have any questions, especially those geared towards the GAD major, I'd be glad to answer them, though I can answer all kinds of questions If you want to see the kind of stuff us sophomores are doing now - as well as work from freshman year - head over to my blog (in my signature)!

Mrjm - When I was applying I couldn't find and get into any figure drawing classes either. Even though observing from life is highly recommended, if you can't, there are plenty of great nude figure reference sites and stock sites you can use. You can search for references on DeviantArt, where they have a ton, or find some reference sites on your own like http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php, http://www.artsyposes.com/models, or http://www.gracefulnudes.com/main. As Addle said though, it's perfectly fine to draw clothed figures as well, but just make sure that you're still learning/practicing anatomy.

themegagod - It definitely is a LOT slower than previous years, and as you mentioned, I think it's also because Ringling's updated website makes it incredibly easy to get most of the info hopefuls were looking for in previous years, so most people don't feel the need to search beyond that. It's sad to see these threads die out after so many years, though 8\

You guys should share more of your portfolios and give crits! Everyone can always use more critique
    omg a GAD posting, i'm hoping to get into the program for fall this year. i was wondering, what do you think of the program so far, is it worth it, are the professors really educated about games or do they only know how to use the software. i have been reading all kinds of mixed reviews, and there are very few about GAD, so maybe you could tell me briefly what you think of it so far?
    and speaking of figure drawing... if i get many gypsum heads and bodies instead, will they like that in a portfolio for GAD? i have no way of getting any figure drawing classes here, since the only place where they host them they're reserved for the students of the academy of art only...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! I could have sworn I replied in this thread. I had a lot of questions...lol! Ah well. Maybe it didn't go through? (if it ends up going through and you see that post, just ignore this message lol!) Anyways, I'm not really a hopeful for the 2012 fall year but actually for 2013. I want to get into computer animation. I'm currently in comm. college to work on my portfolio some more taking art courses and whatnot. I was kinda wondering if there were others who transferred but without completing their associates? I'm debating on whether I should or not.

And also for everyone in their final year at ringling: How does the whole recruiter visit work out? What exactly happens when they visit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm... also posted here, wanted to ask few questions to Tuesday but it didn't go through, hope it works now... >.>

@Tuesday - omg a GAD posting, i'm hoping to get into the program for fall this year. i was wondering, what do you think of the program so far, is it worth it, are the professors really educated about games or do they only know how to use the software. i have been reading all kinds of mixed reviews, and there are very few about GAD, so maybe you could tell me briefly what you think of it so far?
    and speaking of figure drawing... if i get many gypsum heads and bodies instead, will they like that in a portfolio for GAD? i have no way of getting any figure drawing classes here, since the only place where they happen they are reserved only for the students of the academy of art...
    and thank you for the links, they're a huge help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhhmantha View Post
    And also for everyone in their final year at ringling: How does the whole recruiter visit work out? What exactly happens when they visit?
    How Recruiting Works at Ringling
    a general outline

-Recruiting season is in the spring semester, but we may still have some companies come to the school, give presentations, and look at student work.
    -Career services maintains a calendar of scheduled recruiters on the password protected portion of their website. They also usually send out weekly email blasts of upcoming recruiters, presentations, and events.
    -Recruiters come for a day or two.
    -Students submit their resume online to the recruiter's job posting on our college central system and submit portfolio/demo reel materials to the office of career services
    -The recruiters give a presentation during the lunch hour. The presentation is almost always open to all interested years and majors. Students have the opportunity to ask questions about the company and what they are looking for.
    -Students who applied to the job posting log into their college central account to see if they were selected for an interview and what time it is at.
    -Student goes to the interview at the scheduled time in career services. Interviews are typically 10 minutes.
    -Students who were not selected for interviews pick up their portfolio materials once the recruiter has left.
    -Hopefully you follow up with the recruiter and get selected for the job. It can take several months though to find out. Some don't find out the results of March interviews until as late as May or June.

On average we have about 40 or 50 companies that visit the school each year to recruit. Career services does a great job of staggering them too so you can go to all the presentations that interest you, not try to apply to a million places on the same day, and get the quality one on one time in interviews that you and the recruiters deserve. I've heard of a lot of other art schools having career days or fairs were all the recruiters come at once to look at student work. Ringling doesn't have that, and I'm very glad they don't. Overall it's a school very focused on job placement in the industry, and our career services here is really outstanding!

Also, I'm not a transfer student but if you're about to finish your AA I would just say to stick it out. If you're less than halfway maybe not, I don't know. It's just my personal opinion that it's good to follow through and finish up things like that. It's all up to you though (:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    a general outline

-Recruiting season is in the spring semester, but we may still have some companies come to the school, give presentations, and look at student work.
    -Career services maintains a calendar of scheduled recruiters on the password protected portion of their website. They also usually send out weekly email blasts of upcoming recruiters, presentations, and events.
    -Students submit their resume online to the recruiter's job posting on our college central system and submit portfolio/demo reel materials to the office of career services
    -The recruiters give a presentation during the lunch hour. The presentation is almost always open to all interested years and majors. Students have the opportunity to ask questions about the company and what they are looking for.
    -Students who applied to the job posting log into their college central account to see if they were selected for an interview and what time it is at.
    -Student goes to the interview at the scheduled time in career services. Interviews are typically 10 minutes.
    -Students who were not selected for interviews pick up their portfolio materials once the recruiter has left.
    -Hopefully you follow up with the recruiter and get selected for the job. It can take several months though to find out. Some don't find out the results of March interviews until as late as May or June.

On average we have about 40 or 50 companies that visit the school each year to recruit. Career services does a great job of staggering them too so you can go to all the presentations that interest you, not try to apply to a million places on the same day, and get the quality one on one time in interviews that you and the recruiters deserve. I've heard of a lot of other art schools having career days or fairs were all the recruiters come at once to look at student work. Ringling doesn't have that, and I'm very glad they don't. Overall it's a school very focused on job placement in the industry, and our career services here is really outstanding!

Also, I'm not a transfer student but if you're about to finish your AA I would just say to stick it out. If you're less than halfway maybe not, I don't know. It's just my personal opinion that it's good to follow through and finish up things like that. It's all up to you though (:

Ahh, thank you so much! I've always wondered how the recruiting process was. Very informative!

And thanks, I like to hear what others think about my situation about the AA degree because I'm still not sure. As of right now, I'm less than halfway. I just started comm. college for the first time about 3 weeks ago lol. What I'm thinking is, to apply for computer animation when it's open. Because I know the deadline was sometime earlier this month to apply I think? So I can't go for the fall term of this year. So the next time it opens, (which should be later this year right?) I apply, and if I'm lucky and get accepted then I won't finish the degree, and if not, finish it and try to get in the year after that. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *peek* Who said AA?

How far along are you? If you complete your AA then transfer, Ringling will likely waive all liberal arts requirements. It won't save you any time, but it will save you credits. That was the policy while I was at Ringling, but I'd talk to admissions to confirm it's still the case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    a general outline

Ahh, again I could have sworn I replied in this thread...maybe it doesn't take replies on tuesdays? lol. But Thank you so much! I always wondered how the process was. Very informative!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! :-) Well, I've only started community college recently (3 weeks ago), so I'm not really far.

So, completing my AA will waive all the lib.arts requirements...I'll be sure to talk to admissions to confirm. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woo

A few days ago ( the 21st to be exact) I got into the GAD program, which is what I applied for and I am super psyched, I honestly had my doubts in my skill at times, but my efforts payed off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zaqschlanger - GZ! can you please post your portfolio for reference, i want to apply for GAD as well and wanna see what other people submit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zaqschlanger: When did you complete your application? Just wondering how long they take to process them. And I too would like to see what your portfolio is like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I put up a rough draft of my portfolio in my sketchbook. could anyone look it over? give me a rough critique. I'm still working on roughly everything, at least a little bit here and there. but basically, anything I should definitely omit? anything I should keep as is, not do any more to? do you think I'm missing something I should show? is there too much of one thing, not enough of another?
    can I use my camera better?
    how about photoshop?
    I'm applying for GAD, and I'm not sure how my portfolio looks.
    BTW, why is GAD no longer due at the same time as the animation admissions?
    anyway, if you could look over what i'm doing, and give me any advice you can muster, thank you!

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Vi -
    i was wondering, what do you think of the program so far, is it worth it, are the professors really educated about games or do they only know how to use the software. i have been reading all kinds of mixed reviews, and there are very few about GAD, so maybe you could tell me briefly what you think of it so far?
    Yeah, I remember when I was applying I saw so many mixed reviews, too. Different people who major in different things have varied experiences and commitment levels. But those who are most committed stand out no matter what they major in, and they're the ones who love it and get jobs quickly, because their ambition shows in their portfolio. Honestly, it's said a lot, but it's completely true: you get what you put into it. People who post terrible reviews on there got kicked out/aren't doing well for a reason, and it's not the school's fault. The amount of effort you put in is directly proportional to how much you learn. You especially can't just breeze by in CA and GAD, you have to love it and be passionate and be extremely dedicated. The people here are so amazing, students and faculty alike. There's a wealth of talent and infinite wells of knowledge you can draw from everywhere. You won't find such an inspirational, hard-working, fun environment like this anywhere else.

And the GAD program is most definitely worth it. There isn't a program like it anywhere out there - our work speaks for itself when compared to student's at other colleges. We're ahead by leaps and bounds, and the GAD program is only a few years old (the second graduating class will graduate this spring) - and only getting better every year. Tons of top companies come and recruit throughout the year and hand-pick students only from Ringling, knowing how well-rounded and hard-working the kids are here. In just your sophomore year of GAD we learn everything from Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Premiere, to Maya, UDK, Zbrush, and a host of other programs. We learn (and practice extensively) how to do everything from the concept stage all the way through to a fully-finished product. It's a ton of work and it's really challenging, but honestly I have trouble really calling it "work" because everything is SO much fun and so rewarding, no matter how intense it is. The Game Art professors are all extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and are all currently working in the field. Overall they definitely know their stuff and know the programs really well, but technology in the games industry changes so rapidly that it's hard to keep up sometimes - every few months a new build for the programs we use is put out, and then we all have to re-learn a bunch of stuff. It's the same situation at game companies though, so keeping up makes you prepared. Most of the time we're trouble-shooting problems ourselves, because as game designers one of the most important skills is being an excellent problem-solver. You learn just as much from your peers as from your teachers, which serves to make us an even closer GAD family, and makes for this amazing environment full of awesome people who are always willing to help.

This Freshman year's curriculum was changed a bit from ours, but all for the better - you guys get more figure drawing than us, and you don't have to take a class we had to that didn't really relate to our major. All the Freshmen I've talked to say they love their classes I really loved Freshman year regardless; it was mostly traditional art to help everyone get down the fundamentals of art, as well as some liberal arts classes. Second semester you get your first game-related class, History of Games, with Cooksey (who's freaking awesome), as well as Traditional Animation. Freshman year is the time to make friends and get into the swing of things, because you have the most free-time. Things only get more intense as time goes on, but also more fun as you get into stuff The GAD Curriculum: http://www.ringling.edu/learn/majors...ign/curriculum

and speaking of figure drawing... if i get many gypsum heads and bodies instead, will they like that in a portfolio for GAD? i have no way of getting any figure drawing classes here, since the only place where they happen they are reserved only for the students of the academy of art...
    I'm not entirely sure what gypsum heads are, but from looking them up online, it looks like your portfolio would benefit a lot more from doing full-body gestures and observational studies like still-lives and environments. They want to know that you can observe and capture the real world quickly and accurately, so include mostly real-life studies, and only your best works. Accurate figure-drawings, impressive perspective interior/exterior environment pieces, and skillful use of contrast and composition are all probably the most important things. As I said before, if you really can't find any figure-drawing classes you can go to (which I highly recommend!), then just draw normal people you see in everyday life - sitting at your desk in class, watching people at lunch-time, after school when you're waiting for your ride, or even just family and friends when they're home. Anything works, just study from life. And as I mentioned before, there are a whole ton of reference websites where you can also find models/photos to draw from. Here's another one of my faves: http://lovecastle.org/draw

Hope I answered all your questions! Let me know if there's anything else.

/Wall of text

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tuesday - thank you for reassuring me about GAD, i had a feeling the bad reviews were of students who slacked and got weeded out.

and about the heads, i draw them from observation, we have hundreds of them at the studio so people can draw them from life. and my drawing instructor advised me against drawing people at random places, since they move too much and it would be too hard to capture the gesture, idk anymore. i told him that the college wants mostly figure drawings but he disagrees with me... well, i guess i can always draw from pictures at home and then review them with my instructor maybe. and still lives, heh, i've always found them so boring and i figured maybe the admission is kinda sick of them as well, but i guess i'm going to make a piece or two, just in case.
    oh and btw, are paintings required or can you pass with works in grayscale only(except for some chalk pastels, sepia, etc.)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vi_ View Post
    my drawing instructor advised me against drawing people at random places, since they move too much and it would be too hard to capture the gesture, idk anymore. i told him that the college wants mostly figure drawings but he disagrees with me... well, i guess i can always draw from pictures at home and then review them with my instructor maybe. and still lives, heh, i've always found them so boring and i figured maybe the admission is kinda sick of them as well, but i guess i'm going to make a piece or two, just in case.
    oh and btw, are paintings required or can you pass with works in grayscale only(except for some chalk pastels, sepia, etc.)?
    Your instructor is wrong. Now, your instructor probably values more polished work, which is a great thing, but figure and gesture remain incredibly important - not to mention useful. Go out people watching and draw from life - it is incredibly different from a photo. Your goal shouldn't be to make a perfect image but to capture life and communicate it in a believable way. I wouldn't say to submit much gestural people watching drawings in your portfolio however - unless they're good. Maybe assemble some onto one page for one of the ten pieces. People watching isn't something to get fantastic pieces from but is to make you better at drawing (usually makes you faster too!). I would say that most of your figurative work you submit should be a bit longer like 20, 30 minute stuff. But good work is good work and a page of good gestures will say a lot about your skill and understanding.

Yeah, everyone thinks still lives our boring but they remain a good gauge of skill and a good way to practice. It's still drawing from life and gives you that great bag of challenges + the time to really resolve drawing issues and get into the finer and subtler parts of finishing a drawing.

Last I knew paintings weren't required - but if they're good put them in. In my experience media doesn't matter much in portfolios, it's your observational skills and drawing ability to communicate.

When it comes down to it all you need is 10 super good works. It doesn't matter so much what they are or how they were done so long as the majority are from live observation (a few imaginary/mixed works can be good to give a sense of your tastes and how you incorporate the things you've learned from observational drawing into your personal work).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @vi I will later tonight
    @dizzy I submitted December 9th, they usually take 2-3 weeks, but there was vacation in between

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaqschl...7628326175067/

Actually I forgot it is on the internet already so I could show my friends, sorry for double post

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4